PDA

View Full Version : Kherab

blunk
02-16-2016, 10:34 AM
Went into dfg and decided to poke kherab, why? for some reason I've never dispatched him and wow he's a tough nut to crack.
Will probably return at a later stage.
Have anyone else under estimated him?
I was lucky to get out alive.

Blasphemous
02-16-2016, 08:36 PM
I have underestimated him... plenty of times, including once stepping on a flash trap with 30+ Dx and getting blinded then crited to death.

shockeroo
02-16-2016, 11:04 PM
Yeah, he's a monster! I never even think about it unless I'm very, very lategame (levelling to 45/50 or something).

Blank4u47
02-16-2016, 11:47 PM
He's my source of anvil, I take him out after I kill all the steel golems so lvl 16-20 depending on race/class. My most recent dwarf ranger took him out at lvl 15, but he is an exception because he was precrowned with executor and crowned with the super arrow.

my first ever trip to darkforge ended with my death due to him. I was thinking, how much harder can he be than a giant steel guy?

shockeroo
02-17-2016, 01:16 AM
He's my source of anvil, I take him out after I kill all the steel golems so lvl 16-20 depending on race/class. My most recent dwarf ranger took him out at lvl 15, but he is an exception because he was precrowned with executor and crowned with the super arrow.

my first ever trip to darkforge ended with my death due to him. I was thinking, how much harder can he be than a giant steel guy?

Seriously?! How are you regularly killing him under level 20 with most classes? I can see slaying ammo doing the job but otherwise... it takes a lot to take him down, and he can crit you to death really easily on the kind of HP you have at that level.

Tyrnyx
02-17-2016, 01:31 AM
I mean. I've only killed him after winning but I imagine dealing with him is no harder (probably significantly easier) than say the catlord (who I personally believe is the hardest boss since he moves faster or on par with 7lb in addition to hitting like a truck). Most other monsters can be kited and dispatched with slaying ammo.

shockeroo
02-17-2016, 01:35 AM
I mean. I've only killed him after winning but I imagine dealing with him is no harder (probably significantly easier) than say the catlord (who I personally believe is the hardest boss since he moves faster or on par with 7lb in addition to hitting like a truck). Most other monsters can be kited and dispatched with slaying ammo.

I guess I've handled the cat lord with things like webs and poison, could probably pull something similar with Kherab. I wouldn't try a stand-up fight though!

Blank4u47
02-17-2016, 01:46 AM
Seriously?! How are you regularly killing him under level 20 with most classes? I can see slaying ammo doing the job but otherwise... it takes a lot to take him down, and he can crit you to death really easily on the kind of HP you have at that level.

I pickpocket pretty regularly, and usually get some kind of wand, either poison, paralysis, or death, and I get him in position for a bounce because he dodges often. Your DV should be high and you should be on coward, it can take s few tries, so make sure to have tp wand handy, also extra healing. Another method is to poison a ton of arrows. Also keep in mind, if you want some arrows of slaying, they 'drop' often in barbarian wild encounters.

With spellcasters it's super easy. Cast magic missile and calculate the bounce back. Still need lots of DV, healing, and tp.

Soirana
02-17-2016, 02:00 AM
Your DV should be high and you should be on coward, it can take s few tries, so make sure to have tp wand handy, also extra healing.
.... Still need lots of DV, healing, and tp.

Why should not you use water in pool area to block him of, while you deal with him in whatever way you prefer?

For a guy with guaranteed xbow drop, he is surprisingly useless at range....

Blank4u47
02-17-2016, 02:15 AM
Why should not you use water in pool area to block him of, while you deal with him in whatever way you prefer?

For a guy with guaranteed xbow drop, he is surprisingly useless at range....

....that's a wonderful idea! Never thought about the water! Thank you, that just made my life quite a bit easier.

Tyrnyx
02-17-2016, 04:24 AM
If the powers-that-be wanted to make adom much harder (and I don't think that should happen) more monsters would shoot projectiles and more levels would be not teleporting. If D50 alone was non teleporting with balors allowed to break the rules the game would be much harder. Teleporting + strong missiles means a few monsters can be cheesed pretty hard. That's why all the temples and the cat lord are tough... In fact if there is a tension room on a late temple I'm more scared of it than the temple itself. If I know a tension room is there I will dig around them since they are so buff - especial since the danger level changes.

Blasphemous
02-17-2016, 05:02 PM
I use teleport very frequently and if there is a single place where I don't use it (because I don't need it) then it would be D50.
Though I suppose since I build my chars slowly and completely, by the time I reach D50, there truly is no need to use tele as I'm just stomping through any resistance.

zliplus
02-17-2016, 07:34 PM
Teleporting on D50 in particular allows some of the lever blocking tricks to close the gate and escape without killing the balors though, which are fairly interesting options (more interesting than just killing everything anyways). Wand of destructions would still work without teleporting, but probably not the other options.

Tyrnyx
02-18-2016, 03:07 AM
I'm not saying it should be done. I'm just saying it would be harder. Personally, I never cheese D50 - I always at last kill at least the balors and fisty. I'm just saying it would be harder. Often in the game if I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place I just teleport away. Like stuck between a chaos minion and a balor? Nope. Teleport. This isn't bad per se and it definitely has limits (like castings on the wand and booze) but it would up the difficulty of D50 a little.

I was/am surprised that you can cheat D50 but not the temples. Like digging the corridors... I personally don't do it but the fact that it's allowed surprises me.