PDA

View Full Version : throwing weapons question

pblack
08-01-2009, 05:16 AM
Well. I'm playing a DE assassin here and I wanna dual weild so I better get some skill with missile weapons in order to avoid some head to head combat and I was planning on getting on the missile talents path. Also, for the time being, i wanna play a dagger thrower.

Looking at the talents table. There is strong thrower, and waaay back at the chain there is far shot. I know that by the time I get far shot I'll already have at least 10 range so I'll certainly get more extra range from far shot than from ST. And i know that i'll most likely abandon thrown daggers by the end of the early game just because well... as far as missles go, daggers are rare, heavy, don't slay, rare, don't slay, do bad damage, don't slay.... and they don't slay. But i'm stubborn and i'm not worried about maximum efficiency here. I just wanna play the best PC I can inside the conditions I propose. So my question is.

Am I better off taking ST now and getting only a part of the missile chain or should I get on the missile talents chain now and get far shot (IF I find necessary) at the end? Also... do the missile talents (especially quick/lightning shot) apply to thrown weapons?

EDIT: Well... forget that. The assassin found 7LB on CoC: 5 and now i don't think I'll be assuming the risk of dual weilding that often =P (I'll still be using mostly ranged attacks but being super at it is no longer a short-term priority since I'll use the heir dagger+shield). Things are in fact going great except for the lack of PV equipment (only source is the elven chain mail). And the RNG is tossing me a couple of hard ones. Maybe is just the low PV or the fact that this time I entered CoC at level 8 (I am now 10) and not 12ish like I used to. Surviving is a major hassle for now and I already had to pray 3 times. Found gnoll vault on D: 9 and it also contained dark orc, rust monster and ettin all waiting for me like it was no big deal. Luckily there was also a dark room in the level so I managed to tackle them. Couldn't have done it w/o the 7LB. Also, there are bracers of toughness in waldy's shop for 4000gp's (damn racist dwarf) so getting that money is my next goal along with leveling up to lvl 12 to try to manage the big room a little better.

Just realized that I'm doing the proposed stereotype challenge of the other topic =P

Grey
08-01-2009, 06:25 AM
Well, in answer to your original question, don't get either strong thrower or far shot. They're both made fairly obsolete by the fact that increasing your missile skill increases your range much more. Also the other missile talents take priority by far, especially quick/lightning shot.

As for your current dilemna, stop bloody meleeing these tough monsters and start using your SLBs properly. SLBs let you become the ultimate sniper, constantly staying out of range of enemies and shooting them down. Dip your daggers in poison for added effect. Make sure you get some herbs too, your puny dark elf likely needs some toughness badly, and spenseweed might help with your healing issues.

pblack
08-01-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm always under the impression that whenever you get really good things from the RNG you also get really bad ones to compensate.

This PC had found the 7LB in the same level where a ring shop was generated (CoC: 5). On D 12 an ogre magus was chasing the pc around and the ice bolts really hurt. I couldn't retrieve my daggers because they stayed behind the magus. I used up my wand of wonder and got magic missile, lightning bolt and teleportation so I thought I could take him from a distance (on d:13 there was an ogre vault that was right next to the stairs so it was suicide for my low PV, low toughness PC). The thing is, When I teleport to the other side of the ogre magus, I land right next to a ghul, that hits me even in coward and takes me down to 0 HP.

But anyway, that PC was really tough to keep alive. I don't think I could have survived much longer. It was bound to a mob death in the Big room while harvesting morgia.