PDA

View Full Version : [TWL 2016]General Discussion and Flame War Thread

JellySlayer
03-01-2016, 05:57 AM
Post any general TWL discussion here. Feel free to strategize in your league thread if you want, but try to keep those threads relatively free of extraneous discussion.

Blasphemous
03-01-2016, 08:46 AM
As soon as I get back from work (~8 hours from now), I'll do my best.
I'm definitely playing this today.
I wanted to say a few "kind" words about the attributes rolled but then I noticed the strength, toughness and PV values.
Orc pal... everburning torch mmm.
I already feel sorry for the bard team.
Zero PV, just wow.

Plenty of iron on our orc though, for all those water traps.

Just to clear things up: I'm not obliged to descend as soon as appropriate staircase is found? This isn't the weekly challenge sort of stuff?

EDIT: You know what? Screw that, I'm playing it RIGHT NOW :>
It's not like I have some world-saving work to do.
Muahaha.

yhal003
03-01-2016, 08:54 AM
Just to clear things up: I'm not obliged to descend as soon as appropriate staircase is found? This isn't the weekly challenge sort of stuff?

I really suggest reading the rules. Short version: you have to survive for 2000 turns and descend at least once. Descending more than 5 levels is considered "chaotic" and subject to disqualification for the first two rounds. JellySlayer did mention that ID nowadays tend to become nasty rather quickly - my tests support this... very nasty so lets not descend too rapidly. Especially since I am the last player and want to have at least one stress free round :).

Hopefully that "B" is a ghost bat and ... err... I mean: good luck :).

Maul
03-01-2016, 09:32 AM
I already feel sorry for the bard team.
Zero PV, just wow.

May I raise your attention to our wished-for item... :)

Blasphemous
03-01-2016, 10:13 AM
Oh, WDSM, nice.
Not going to save your sorry asses when claw bugs multiply and surround you :D
At least until you get your tunes right.

sweetnothing
03-02-2016, 08:15 AM
Oh, nice competitions over there... My bet is the bard.

Blasphemous
03-03-2016, 08:19 AM
So I was thinking: if the difficulty increases so rapidly with just one-two players doing their runs one after another, it will quickly become quite a challenge.
I'd say people playing the first turns are at an advantage, perhaps max descent depth per player should have been limited to 2 levels for the first round?
At least until everybody has had their share of turns and thus can say they at least had that much contribution.
Probably too late now to change that, though I did try to play my turns in such a way as to still leave some breathing room for the next player.

Mobius
03-03-2016, 07:56 PM
So I was thinking: if the difficulty increases so rapidly with just one-two players doing their runs one after another, it will quickly become quite a challenge.
I'd say people playing the first turns are at an advantage, perhaps max descent depth per player should have been limited to 2 levels for the first round?
At least until everybody has had their share of turns and thus can say they at least had that much contribution.
Probably too late now to change that, though I did try to play my turns in such a way as to still leave some breathing room for the next player.

It's worth mentioning perhaps. the wildcard group hasn't started, and one of the leagues has not gotten very far.

pjsb1
03-05-2016, 12:06 AM
And I failed at showing up, oh well. I honestly just forgot entirely mostly because I was either sleeping, watching things on my phone, or doing homework on computer during midterms. If I can still be in the wildcard league that'd be awesome.

Blasphemous
03-05-2016, 03:44 PM
Al-Khwarizmi is down, I repeat, we have TWL's first casualty :P
I wanna know what you did Al but I guess you will want others to similarly tumble so no details so far.
Anyway, I'll be playing my turn in a few hours so we shall see if I don't join you soon.

Blasphemous
03-05-2016, 08:04 PM
Oh fun times, I ran into ogre lord threat room guarding down stair case, then promptly ended my turns with 29 HP without killing any of them.
This should be interesting for the next players :D

Al-Khwarizmi
03-05-2016, 08:41 PM
Al-Khwarizmi is down, I repeat, we have TWL's first casualty :P
I wanna know what you did Al but I guess you will want others to similarly tumble so no details so far.
They will all die, HA HA HA HA.

Of course, you will know the details of this gruesome death in due time!

Blank4u47
03-05-2016, 08:54 PM
They will all die, HA HA HA HA.

Of course, you will know the details of this gruesome death in due time!

Pretty sure we didn't die of the same thing though! I'm dying to say why.

Mobius
03-05-2016, 09:08 PM
Pretty sure we didn't die of the same thing though! I'm dying to say why.
Now I just have to know. Just don't blame me though. I didn't do so bad as to make it a Trial.

Blank4u47
03-05-2016, 09:12 PM
Not your fault, for me it was the next level, but I wonder what happened to Al-

Couchfighter
03-05-2016, 10:26 PM
Oh fun times, I ran into ogre lord threat room guarding down stair case, then promptly ended my turns with 29 HP without killing any of them.
This should be interesting for the next players :D

S**t getting real now ;D

Soirana
03-06-2016, 01:19 AM
S**t getting real now ;D

I so wish it was not my turn to play....

Couchfighter
03-06-2016, 07:42 PM
First fatality in the Fame league, gulps.

Blasphemous
03-07-2016, 08:08 AM
You know the face of desperation when people are eating fucking ghul corpses.

Soirana
03-07-2016, 10:01 AM
You know the face of desperation...
Not until you start thinking which is better kobold or leaser demon corpse...

Couchfighter
03-07-2016, 10:33 AM
My save file wiped out the remaining League of Fame including myself! Go me? Do I get a Ghul corpse as a prize?

Soirana
03-07-2016, 10:55 AM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHKgdNrr0ysgsXVqp0X3--EORlJss_saFmtGLFYw7nXMs45mL_gQ

ghostjghost
03-07-2016, 11:25 PM
nice pic :)

Blasphemous
03-09-2016, 10:57 AM
So noobs, who is going to challenge the mighty Blasphemous in the finals?
Ready to get your struggles sabotaged? Your hands sweaty on cursed rat corpses?

JellySlayer
03-10-2016, 06:15 PM
So the finalists current are:
Maul
Mobius
Blasphemous
Soirana
<Wildcard winner>

As winners of their respective leagues, Maul and Blasphemous will get to make some choices about the character that we will play in the finals. My rough plan is that one of you will get to pick the character's Race, Class, and Starsign. The other will get to pick Talents, the Special Item, and will choose the turn order for the remainder of the league (excluding the second winner). None of the choices here will be considered chaotic for the purpose of play, of course... but you'll have the opportunity to define the contours of the final challenge to your liking.

If you guys can agree on which rewards you'd prefer, then I'll go with that. If you both prefer the same choice, then I'll flip a coin and assign them based on that.

Maul
03-10-2016, 06:17 PM
I'd prefer R/C/Starsign.

Couchfighter
03-10-2016, 06:37 PM
I think we may need to apply a stick to some people in the wildcard league to get things going, or put the current player last on the list, if we're going to finish it any time soon. It is at a complete halt.

Maul
03-10-2016, 06:43 PM
Al-Khwarizmi hasn't been on for quite some time, but their time will soon be up. Afterwards, I have no doubt the league will speed up as zliplus appears to be more active.

zliplus
03-10-2016, 07:55 PM
When is the timer up for Al-K anyways?

Edit: personally, I'd prefer to wait until the weekend to play so I don't make quite so crazy decisions, but I should have time regardless.

JellySlayer
03-10-2016, 08:02 PM
The last turn was 3/8 at 8pm forum time, so that gives him until 3/11 8pm, which is about 24 hours from now.

Blasphemous
03-10-2016, 08:57 PM
I'd rather choose the R/C, I have a plan for that.

Maul
03-10-2016, 09:07 PM
Then it's gonna be the coin toss. I figured, R/C is a much funner customization option IMO than talent/item/turn order.

JellySlayer
03-10-2016, 09:09 PM
Okay, I flipped for it and Blasphemous gets R/C/star, Maul gets Talents/Item/Turn Order.

Mobius
03-10-2016, 10:19 PM
We could start with the folks already locked into the competition, and put the wildcard winner at the very end, so we can start sooner than later.

Maul
03-10-2016, 10:41 PM
We could start with the folks already locked into the competition, and put the wildcard winner at the very end, so we can start sooner than later.

Given that the wildcard league will last a while anyway, that just means we get a few rounds in before the league would stagnate due to waiting for Misfortune to end. Besides, it's hard to even predict when it will end. That build is strong and might get quite far, although I'd argue the bard was the most powerful build in the end - simply because of the opportunity to tame and train hugely powerful pets. We both died because we lost the services of that beastly lightning lizard, after all...

I am curious what R/C Blasph will go for. I hope it's gonna be exciting - I'd certainly have made sure of that, and will try to do so anyway. I do wonder what the name of the final league will be? We had "Fame/Infamy" and "Fortune/Misfortune", so there will surely have to be a third concept to be introduced.

Blasphemous
03-10-2016, 10:58 PM
I would have gone with the exotic like mindcrafter but that wouldn't bode well for survival, I want this to last for a while but not be too easy either.

So:

Candle Gray Elven Assassin.

Maul
03-10-2016, 11:14 PM
Well, that's... not exciting. :( Though I kinda like assassins for normal gameplay so that's a good thing, I guess.

Anyway! Talents are to be:

Good Shot, Keen Shot if 2 talents and Keen Shot is available
Good Shot, Dextrous if 2 talents and Keen Shot is not available
Boon to the Family, Charming, Heir if 3 talents
Boon to the Family, Charming, Heir, Good Shot if 4 talents

Item: rings of elemental mastery.

Turn order: to be decided later.

Blasphemous
03-10-2016, 11:49 PM
I am excited, it's one of my favorite combinations so obviously I will feel I have the advantage of familiarity.

Couchfighter
03-10-2016, 11:59 PM
I'm a big fan of assassins as well. Lets hope (s)he doesn't run out of daggers too quickly. :)

Mobius
03-14-2016, 12:36 AM
could we start our first set of turns now, and slot in the winner of the misfortune league after the first four make take their first turn?

JellySlayer
03-14-2016, 01:39 AM
We can do that if you guys want (and that turn order is okay with Maul).

Blasphemous
03-14-2016, 08:27 AM
Works for me, I'm eager to play something, anything.

Blasphemous
03-16-2016, 08:25 AM
Go go go league of misfits, losers & rejects! Errr, I mean misfortune, of course, yes, it's a tragic turn of events that lead you to that spot in the first place ;)

The awesome crew will soon be done with the assassin turns and that single gem among your pile of troll manure will join our efforts.

Couchfighter
03-16-2016, 09:39 AM
I'm holding off on doing my turn at the moment in misfortune league because it looks like one of the members were skipped. Waiting for the go ahead before doing anything else.

Soirana
03-17-2016, 04:15 AM
Is there any reason why cursed assassin would not consider teleportitis an asset even without control?

Blasphemous
03-18-2016, 05:44 PM
*sniff* *sniff*
I smell blood in the league of Misfits.
Many dead players, very soon.
4 PV, I22, no food... yes, it is time to die, noobs.

Soirana
03-18-2016, 06:20 PM
Just DQ everyone for playing from illegal save and go on with the finals...

zliplus
03-18-2016, 08:34 PM
Haha, my turns always end up with tons of slaughter. I still think my meleeing that dopple king was the best though :D

yhal003
03-19-2016, 02:16 AM
Our poor guy have been dead long time ago... This play shows what a non-book-starved caster can do. Even as crappy as a druid. We should get him to SIL. Just to annoy winner league players more :).

zliplus
03-23-2016, 02:31 AM
We're halfway there already!

Couchfighter
03-23-2016, 11:29 AM
The misfortune druid has made it down to floor 33. Mighty proud of our team of losers *sniffles* :D

Blasphemous
03-23-2016, 01:23 PM
Lucky bastards. Even a blind man will occasionally stumble upon a treasure chest.
True, you guys have been doing a lot of stumbling but the shitty parts are typically dealt with using bolts, which is cheap.
So, not only are Misfits miserable, they are also cheap :D

Harwin
03-23-2016, 07:44 PM
I think someone got the "League of Misfortune" and "League of Fortune" swapped...

Couchfighter
03-23-2016, 11:29 PM
So, uh. Apparently it is Easter. Any plans for handling TWL while people who have lives are away skiing and doing other disgusting things out under the great fireball in the sky ? ^^

Mobius
03-24-2016, 12:44 AM
So, uh. Apparently it is Easter. Any plans for handling TWL while people who have lives are away skiing and doing other disgusting things out under the great fireball in the sky ? ^^

If you have known times you won't be able to play, let folks know.
(hmm, I may be out parts of next week, don't tell the crooks where I live!)

Blasphemous
03-24-2016, 08:03 AM

Skiing... I wish... lucky Vikings.

pjsb1
04-05-2016, 10:43 AM
I'm curious, did anyone have anything interesting happen to them or anything they wanted to share but couldn't because they died?

JellySlayer
04-05-2016, 04:45 PM
Congratulations, Soirana! You are the winner of the 2016 Weakest Link!

Thanks for playing everyone. Was good fun.

Blasphemous
04-05-2016, 07:41 PM
Yeah congrats and I'm looking forward to the next year's edition.

Maul
04-05-2016, 08:34 PM
Congrats on the win!