PDA

View Full Version : A few more questions from a newbie...

Gavindale Marchovia
03-26-2016, 08:47 PM
A few more questions about ADOM and it's gameplay....

- How do I use a crossbow or bow & arrow?
- How do I buy and sell items with a merchant?
- How do I talk to people (for quests and such)?
- How do I pull up a list of current quests?
- How do I print out a list of commands for ADOM?
- How do I know when I can level up, and how do I level up?

I know it's quite a list, I'm sorry, but I am eager to jump right into ADOM and have a good time.

pjsb1
03-26-2016, 08:57 PM
There is a manual within the game that will answer all of these questions. In game you can get to it by pressing ? and then m. But to answer your questions :

t to target and then t again shoot.
pick up the items and then go to the merchant and press p
Uppercase C to chat
Lowercase q for quests
The list of commands are in the game, which is probably a lot more convenient than printing it out.
Press x to look at your experience
When you level up you increase your skills. The game brings up the level up screen automatically.

Couchfighter
03-27-2016, 10:01 AM
If nobody aint got not time for reading the whole manual and keybinding lists, pressing 'Enter' anywhere will bring up a dynamic action list with relevant things you can do, it is actually very helpful.

Gavindale Marchovia
03-27-2016, 09:02 PM
I was reading some of the tutorial, and I have a few more questions... first, if I make a character that is proficient in two weapon fighting, and I equip him with two weapons (on in each hand), does my character automatically use both weapons in combat? To use a torch, do I have to equip it and then use it? I had a character that I wanted to give a sword and shield, but I was worried that I might give the sword and shield to the wrong hand (i.e. giving a weapon to a characters left hand when he is right handed). I was looking at the list of commands under “?” and then “m”, but I did not see a healing command, or a first aid command. Maybe I just didn't see it. Am I missing something?

zliplus
03-27-2016, 09:27 PM
Yes, both weapons are used automatically - though note that two weapon fighting is not recommended for beginners (or anyone) - it is generally underpowered and even unsafe due to slow attack speed. To use a torch, wear it in the tool slot (and light it before or after) or equipped as a weapon. Use a/A to open the skills menu - healing and first aid are there. Healing is a passive skill while first aid is active.

Couchfighter
03-27-2016, 10:38 PM
Using First Aid properly can really be a life saver. Whenever you take damage you can recover a bit right away by 'A'ctivating First Aid from the skills page. You can even often do it in combat relatively safely if you switch stances first to 'coward' by pressing F7. (F4 switches you back to normal, when you're done) Note that stance switching does not cost a turn but applying the First Aid skill does.

Gavindale Marchovia
03-28-2016, 10:22 AM
Thanks, guys, for the heads up and advice to an ADOM newbie. What exactly does going "coward" do? Does my defense increase?

Couchfighter
03-28-2016, 10:25 AM
Yes, it gives a large bonus to your defensive value which is what determines how likely you are to avoid an enemy attack entirely. PV on the other hand (which changes stances does not affect) gives damage mitigation when those attacks hit.
Switching into coward mode also drastically reduces your own hit chance and weapon damage.

Gavindale Marchovia
03-28-2016, 10:35 AM
Great - thanks so much! Your help is appreciated!