PDA

View Full Version : alchemy skill progression

Rashomon
06-11-2016, 02:22 PM
Anybody got any idea as to how skill progresses? More specifically, in relation to the max-skill limit..

The main reason the play an assassin was to dable with alchemy, but, now, level 31 or sth. the max skill for alchemy is still only 61...
Got learning and most attributes 40+ so that couldn't be the problem I'd figure... is it purely a matter of chance?
At this rate I never can unlock the potentially actually good recipes... unlike stuff like potions of poison [duh], or potions of deafness.. and rubbish like that..

..so?

SinsI
06-11-2016, 02:24 PM
You need to actually use the skill to advance it, and, probably, not on blasting...

Rashomon
06-11-2016, 04:43 PM
ok, thanx, makes sense.. I'd figure that, but i'd thought maybe the effect would be neglible.. I am not so keen on making 100's of useless potions.. so brewing only a few could make a difference already.. ?

Soirana
06-11-2016, 04:51 PM
ok, thanx, makes sense.. I'd figure that, but i'd thought maybe the effect would be neglible.. I am not so keen on making 100's of useless potions.. so brewing only a few could make a difference already.. ?
Making like 5 would make difference. Booze is far from useless if you have recipe for it.

Blasphemous
06-11-2016, 05:45 PM
Not if that recipe requires stuff like pot of water and pot of youth; booze just ain't worth that.
Otherwise like Soir said, 5 would make a difference, potentially extending the cap by 5-7 points per level.
It's good to also periodically make a potion or two since random non-level-up skill increases would then have a higher chance to increase alchemy.

Soirana
06-11-2016, 06:02 PM
Not if that recipe requires stuff like pot of water and pot of youth; booze just ain't worth that.

Youth is greater ingredient and booze is made from least ones.

Least - potion of booze, potion of water, potion of carrot juice,
burb root, pepper petal, demon daisy

booze can't be ingredient for itself and it can't be two herbs, so variance is quite limited. None of possible variants is bad really.

Blasphemous
06-11-2016, 06:47 PM
I still think booze isn't worth sacrificing a potion of water. The former is guaranteed from beggars, the latter is anything but.
Bar special situations, where you desperately need to recharge a crucial wand and have no other means, this is never worth it.

Rashomon
06-11-2016, 08:26 PM
Yeah, booze is sth. with water in my game.. so didn't think it that worthwhile..
with a demon daisy actually, which I don't have. And never saw growing anywhere.. but I make some potions of whatever than.. just to get to the next recipe..

Also, a wizard I played once, got to 100% alchemy in no-time, without making any potions... in the end all of the recipes weren't worth it in my not-so-expert opinion anyway.. potion of gain attributes for a potion of cure corruption and something else quite rare and stuff like that..
Was hoping for sth. else this time.. like a potion of gain attributes for 2 demon-daisies or sth.. Also, an assassin seems to pick up substantially more potions than other classes... so, that's a + in theory..

Even keeping my potions of deafness and other useless stuff around in the hopes they someday will turn out useful... [ If you raw-chaos potions of uselessness, doesn't that count as a useful move btw? ]

Soirana
06-12-2016, 04:15 AM
Was hoping for sth. else this time.. like a potion of gain attributes for 2 demon-daisies or sth..
Alchemy recipes are not so random actually.
http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/Alchemy

PoGA is greater+greater. Above 50% chance it will require PoCC or Pot of strength.
The only good option is ultra heal (via Jharod) + longevity (obtainable through alchemy via non-greater ingredients). that is like 1/15 chance....

Rashomon
06-12-2016, 02:22 PM
PoGA is greater+greater. Above 50% chance it will require PoCC or Pot of strength.
Isn't that 4/6 * 5/6 [= 20/36 = ~55%] it doesn't require any of those 2 ?

It seems some good recipes for PoGA are possible, potion of longevity, youth, aren't so useful for a long-lived char.. [and could potentially be made from even easier stuff] potion of boost speed doesn't seem that valuable to me as well..
PoGA also > PoS of course... so if it doesn't require PoCC it's potentially a good deal.. no?

Soirana
06-12-2016, 03:16 PM
Isn't that 4/6 * 5/6 [= 20/36 = ~55%] it doesn't require any of those 2 ?

It seems some good recipes for PoGA are possible, potion of longevity, youth, aren't so useful for a long-lived char.. [and could potentially be made from even easier stuff] potion of boost speed doesn't seem that valuable to me as well..
PoGA also > PoS of course... so if it doesn't require PoCC it's potentially a good deal.. no?
You mean 4/6*3/5 (after first it just 5 options left with two non-picks)>> 2/5> 40%

How many potions of strength you find in an average game? Like two?

Rashomon
06-12-2016, 08:01 PM
yeah, you're right.. silly me.. :)

..so, but got like 3 potions of boost speed currently, and found a few more already.. so perhaps they could be useful.0.
well, we' ll see, it's all about the RNG isn't it..? Which btw can be influenced by positive thoughts.. we all know that.. there have been experiments that seem to confirm that..
With people either focussing on '1's or '0''s in a random binary string.. and significantly [whatever that is] altering the odds..
Also I recall playing risk [boardgame] with a friend of mine who could throw the dice to be 6 20 times in a row.
That guy was annoying to play games with I tell you..
:P

ghostjghost
06-13-2016, 02:46 AM
Also I recall playing risk [boardgame] with a friend of mine who could throw the dice to be 6 20 times in a row.
That guy was annoying to play games with I tell you..
:P

Yeah my brother is like that - he can make any dice land on whatever number he wants, and he practiced until he could make any coin land on whatever side he wanted every time. - He once won 100 dollars making a penny land on heads 50 times in a row.

Rashomon
06-13-2016, 02:48 AM
PoGA turned out to require potions of youth and longevity, both of which I got recipes for.. so I could make a few, yay..

Also.. I finally won the game.. sth like 18 mil points and 141 thousand turns.. just before the 90 days limit..
Dwarven assassin with astronomical attributes.. finally... killed all the balors and their master because I f*ed up the easy way with wands of destruction and such.. Think I used 4 healing potions the entire game..
was extremely lucky a lot of times...
so.. time to get some sleep ..

Rashomon
06-13-2016, 02:57 AM
Yeah my brother is like that - he can make any dice land on whatever number he wants, and he practiced until he could make any coin land on whatever side he wanted every time. - He once won 100 dollars making a penny land on heads 50 times in a row.
that's awesome!. people are getting more magical every day now :P
Yesterday somebody told me she could see all kinds of entities surrounding people, only since a few months... and a few weeks ago I kind of 'saw' a pot falling out of a window right above my head without looking that way.. so I ducked forward to evade it.. but then it occured to me I hadn't been looking up at all..
Telepathic communication etc.. maybe we're finally evolving :)

ghostjghost
06-14-2016, 02:51 AM
that's awesome!. people are getting more magical every day now :P
Yesterday somebody told me she could see all kinds of entities surrounding people, only since a few months... and a few weeks ago I kind of 'saw' a pot falling out of a window right above my head without looking that way.. so I ducked forward to evade it.. but then it occured to me I hadn't been looking up at all..
Telepathic communication etc.. maybe we're finally evolving :)

Lol, lets not jump to conclusions now lol - I said that he practiced - which means he flipped coins hours on end every day till he got it to do what he wanted - same with the dice, nothing "magical" about it.

This is not to say I disbelieve psionics - just the opposite in fact - but reliable laboratory quality proof I personally have not seen.

(and don't talk to me about James Randi's disproof - he picks and chooses who's eligible to take his test - great for exposing frauds but defiantly not a reliable source on the reality or unreality of psionics in general.)