PDA

View Full Version : ADOM updates by TB ["future" spoilers]

_Ln_
07-14-2016, 02:39 PM
Do you guys read these?

E-mail notifications hailing from the Resurrection campaign have stopped for quite some time, but Thomas is apparently doing a lot of things. I click to the blog some times when I remember about ADOM from some sources.

Perhaps we can repost the updates properly here or keep track about them in a somewhat regular fashion?

The latest one: http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2016/07/bi-weekly-adom-update-lots-of-progress.html

Here are the most interesting things I got from there.

0. Rolf quest and some new ending is arriving.
1. "A new item material will be added to the game" + 41 new items
2. "Levitation has been added as an ability that can be provided by items"
3. ""Pure items" (which kind of increase your resistance to background corruption) have been added."

Blasphemous
07-14-2016, 03:08 PM
Wow some nice stuff. Can't wait to see that in-game.

Soirana
07-14-2016, 10:50 PM
antediluvian orcs... Sounds promising.

mjkittredge
07-16-2016, 02:16 AM
I'm just as excited for the new dungeon tiles and music. Looks and sounds beautiful in the samples.

Carter
07-18-2016, 03:04 AM
wonder what happened to the "mega legend" guys who were supposed to get their own artifact and mini area? something like that?

Carter
07-18-2016, 03:53 AM
I'm just as excited for the new dungeon tiles and music. Looks and sounds beautiful in the samples.

I'm too old school and don't use the tiles, ASCII all the way.

mjkittredge
07-20-2016, 11:36 AM
did you try it with graphics to see how you felt about it?

Booster
07-20-2016, 01:04 PM
I've tried with graphics because I love the art, but ASCII for me is just so much better - I feel like I can see more. I suggested an RFE awhile back that would combine both elements so you can play with the ASCII but still enjoy the beautiful tiles. The Feature request didn't get much attention (http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=2906) but the screenshot for how I envisioned it is (http://i.imgur.com/j3FPW6g.png?1)

My first ever roguelike was Ragnarok/Valhalla that had a limited "tile" view (it was IIRC 3 tiles in every direction), and had a ASCII directly above it that would cover the entire level/map. That in my opinion was a great combination of both worlds.

Soirana
07-20-2016, 01:54 PM
but the screenshot for how I envisioned it is (http://i.imgur.com/j3FPW6g.png?1)

You can achieve rather similar view with cutomization on mini-map (http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread.php/14465-If-you-re-used-to-ASCII-but-want-to-see-the-pretty-graphics-too -- I think mini map could be made wider int his example). You probably need change number for your screen size. (that's how it looked on mine -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpDUaKtuAQo)

For me mini map is probably the only way to enjoy tiles, since any color letter I do know what it can be... pictures while nice don't bring me info in many cases.

Couchfighter
07-20-2016, 01:58 PM
Its a great suggestion in my opinion, though I would perhaps have them side by side instead with tiles on the left and ascii to the right. More options is always better!

I also applaud your choice in first roguelike, Booster. Ragnarok was (is!) a wonderful game!

Booster
07-20-2016, 02:21 PM
@Soriana - Interesting! I will try and emulate that next time! Ideally I would like the tiles to be bigger but maybe that is something I can play with. EDIT: I see in the first post of the thread you linked has this. Amazing!

@Couchfighter - This must have been close to 20 years ago that I discovered it... I remember my first time actually beating the game was polymorphed into a Sandiff of all things! Once I learned the ropes I was all about the Borgon Vile / Swordsman... it really was a great game that I have fond memories of.

Carter
07-21-2016, 03:48 AM
I've tried with graphics because I love the art, but ASCII for me is just so much better - I feel like I can see more. .

same here. Also being a long term player you get the "spidey sense" of knowing where the stairs are going to be on each level (its not truly random) with the full ascii view. Not sure i'd get that on the tiles.

mjkittredge
07-21-2016, 01:25 PM
I just feel tile graphical mode looks so much better. It's like going from an Atari console game to a Super Nintendo game. Why play ET when you can play Final Fantasy 6? :P

Rick
07-21-2016, 02:45 PM
Graphical mode killed my imagination, I had my own personal idea of what monsters and stuffs looks like ...it's like the difference between reading a book or watching TV...but it's so cute and nice that I can't go back to ASCII and 'L'ook at everything anymore....

Soirana
07-21-2016, 05:55 PM
Why play ET when you can play Final Fantasy 6? :P
Both of these graphics are obsolete in modern days. Once you wrap in nostalgia factor I am not o sure Final fantasy beats E.T. (for example I never played any FF game...)

IMHO, current tile set (or any tileset honestly) does not offer enough to bother changing anything.

Couchfighter
07-27-2016, 10:03 PM
For those of you who don't check the Adom blog every 30 minutes in case there's a post, there is a fresh one now. :)

Sian
07-28-2016, 07:44 PM
Eh, the only thing that annoys me about the graphical tile set (and the GUI in general) is that the minimap jumps around all 4 corners as a demented squirrel on crack, and i can't figure out how to stop it from doing so

Booster
08-09-2016, 06:59 AM
Just saw the pre-release update - any idea what is meant by "5 new dungeon variants"?

Carter
08-09-2016, 09:03 AM
Just saw the pre-release update - any idea what is meant by "5 new dungeon variants"?

assume he is talking about the shifting sands and other dungeon features. Shifting sands caused a irretrievable game breaking crash - my level of interest isn't quite high enough to play to past DT if there is a potential crash lurking there!

Blank4u47
08-09-2016, 11:57 AM
assume he is talking about the shifting sands and other dungeon features. Shifting sands caused a irretrievable game breaking crash - my level of interest isn't quite high enough to play to past DT if there is a potential crash lurking there!

In the newest version released 2 days ago? I havnt had a chance to download it yet, but tb says that bug got fixed

_Ln_
08-09-2016, 12:46 PM

It's about the tiles. Some dungeons have themes (overgrown with plants etc.). Or so I have seen before switching back to ASCII.

Laukku
09-19-2016, 11:31 AM
I wish TB would focus more on fixing bugs instead of adding yet new ambitious features, so he could move onto ADOM II. The resurrection has been going on since, what, 2012?

Graphical mode killed my imagination, I had my own personal idea of what monsters and stuffs looks like ...it's like the difference between reading a book or watching TV...but it's so cute and nice that I can't go back to ASCII and 'L'ook at everything anymore....

My mental image of ADOM was always closer to what the 2014 Shadowgate remake looks like: http://store.steampowered.com/app/294440/

grobblewobble
09-21-2016, 10:29 PM
Really excited about the Rolf quest.

Carter
09-22-2016, 02:35 AM
Really excited about the Rolf quest.

ditto. There isn't many game breaking bugs i'm aware of.

i played gamma 15. I know what bugs are lol.

JellySlayer
09-22-2016, 05:52 AM
I wish TB would focus more on fixing bugs instead of adding yet new ambitious features, so he could move onto ADOM II. The resurrection has been going on since, what, 2012?

I had assumed that once the Resurrection went ahead, ADOM II was essentially dead.

Carter
09-22-2016, 08:16 AM
I had assumed that once the Resurrection went ahead, ADOM II was essentially dead.

pretty sure TB is "backporting" the majority of ADOM II