PDA

View Full Version : Short story of a gnomish weaponsmith.

Blasphemous
09-07-2016, 01:41 PM
WARNING! This is a wall of text without TLDR section.

I have not finished a game in a long time, either by closing the gate or entering it and dealing with the stuff on the other side.
Not for the lack of skill or luck though; I'm just bored. Instead, I'm messing around with fun classes.

I had this idea: roll a dwarven weaponsmith, in order to have mining, gemology, metallurgy and smithing.
Get crowned with Hammerhead, mine a crapload of crystals of fire (among other goodies) and throw them at everything.
Meanwhile get very learned and eat lots of stone giant doughnuts.

In fact, I was planning to use said crystals of fire with my bare hands after level 32 fire immunity and watch the whole world burn.

I imagined my PC running around, congealed spittle flowing through his snarling teeth in turgid streams, down the generously bearded chin, his welding goggles dimming time and again as concussive explosions reverberate through the dungeon corridors.
The insane Ancardian pyromaniac with an industrial vein, throwing napalm at dwarven children, watching them scream as melting slabs of sizzling skin peel off their blackening bones and they collapse in tiny, smouldering heaps of dust and ashes, while smoking huts vomit immolated dwarves through the blasted windows, like infernal monstrosities regurgitating infested magma only to devour it all over again.
All this amidst screams of burning housewives and ramblings of scorched thugs.

My sick idea went south the moment I realized that dwarven weaponsmiths do not start with gemology. Ouch. Such a beautiful dream.
I was absolutely certain that gemology would be either a class skill or a racial one in this combination. Imagine my disappointment.
For a moment I thought of getting it in-game but since there are no guaranteed sources, I'd have to be lucky with a wish.
So, time to pick a different class - gnome, the next best thing to a dwarf.

There is one main reason why I don't like gnomes: they level up too fast. For a completionist, that's a big deal.
I barely made it to pyramid on time and I was already skipping large portions of dungeons.
Gnomes gain experience at an insane rate. I reached the maze at lvl 30, with ~45k exp left to 31.
There wasn't the slightest chance to get scrolls of MM from bugwil first, without losing my shot at the labyrinth.

Before that though, around level 14 I precrowned.
I won't bother describing how many chars I shitcanned (I mean shift+Qued) just to get one that would get the pick axe, but I finally did.
More things went according to plan: R2 cave had an altar on the first level, adjacent to down staircase and on the second level - a forge. Neat.
I did a bit of smithing to make sure all the related skills reach 100 long before I needed them and it worked.

I cleared most of the stuff that would provide me with iron and other materials.
Cleaned vaults, big and small, looted rooms, dfg, used massive amounts of gold to re-buy all the metallic stuff from shops... you get the idea.
One RoDS later, used for emp moloch, I was happily burdened with 3 hulking armors, ready to be thrown into the cauldron of nuclear fire and digested by the fiery demons of craft and artifice.
After upping my equipment to some reasonable numbers (like 80/80 on berserk), I was ready to mine out the whole ID, though the first level would probably suffice.

Here's the second disappointment: fire gems almost do not drop.
I have literally found more of them randomly or in shops than by mining walls out.
All gems are DL5 (except something that is DL9 but its not crystal of fire).
That said, I have expected to stumble upon these precious shiny things every 10-15 wall squares.
I mined out the whole ID:1 level, all diggable walls, full blown auto-pickup with 60 st thanks to gogs and fire orb, exited at very strained and started counting.

One crystal of fire. ONE. Come on RNG? Why so serious?

I got like 15 crystals of power, probably over 10 crystals of knowledge, ~5 each of darkness and light. The rest was a mixed bunch including glass.
On top of that, a number of ores, which were of secondary value at this point.
With such a small supply of my preferred tool of annihilation, the entire concept of this combination is in jeopardy.

I mean the char is enjoyable but with the current items and stats, going through D:50 would be like clearing a PC:6 vault of orcs with a fucking executor.
Next thing is to find out if perhaps DL does apply to these crystals in a different way and maybe going down to I:5 or 10 would fix that horrendous drop rate for me. I doubt that though.
I sure would like to stockpile at least triple digits to comfortably throw them around with reckless abandon, the way my inner pyromaniac desires.

Anyway, that short story being over, I gotta ask:

Does anybody have similar ideas about some other classes?
I like the sandbox form of playing adom these days, where I'm not really inclined to achieve the main objective and instead just enjoy the uniqueness of certain r/c combinations.

PS: Oh, here's some nice stuff after a prolonged session with 300 eternium ingots: Small eternium shield [+20, +16] (24s). Makes protector look like a waffle.

Cactus
09-07-2016, 06:06 PM
I like the sandbox form of playing adom these days, where I'm not really inclined to achieve the main objective and instead just enjoy the uniqueness of certain r/c combinations.

Same here. Only that I start my characters (mostly bards nowadays for randomness) without a specific idea at first. But once an event or item drop inspires me, I define a challenge for the character. Like for example my orcish bard that found a flaming whip. He was promptly renamed Balrog and swore to never switch to another weapon. While these challenges often end with me losing interest in the chars (or in the case of the flaming whip end in a stream of acid breath), I still very much enjoy it while it lasts and happily start over again.
The good thing is, there's no grinding or excessive rerolling involved, like in your case with getting Hammerhead as a precrown. Seriously, how many trials did it take? One of my biggest adom dreams that never came true so far was having a thief with serpent's bite, but I'd never even think about reroll-precrowning for it.

grobblewobble
09-07-2016, 07:27 PM
Love it.

A very similar idea: gnome archer that kills things with gems thrown with slings. Does not require heaps of especially rare gems, and works well enough to give it a shot.

JellySlayer
09-07-2016, 07:56 PM
Never realized crystals of fire were so rare. I don't normally go out of my way looking for them (usually if I'm mining gems, I'm looking for knowledge). I guess chaos alchemy might be an option, but the only perfectly safe gem is the DL9 crystal of health.

Probably a gnome/troll monk would have been an easier start for this, since wall kicking can be used to produce gems, so you wouldn't have needed to track down Hammerhead. More time consuming to do the epic smithing, granted, but still possible.

Too bad Earthquake spell can't be used to make gems/ore.

Blasphemous
09-08-2016, 08:40 AM
Seriously, how many trials did it take? One of my biggest adom dreams that never came true so far was having a thief with serpent's bite, but I'd never even think about reroll-precrowning for it.

About 30 rerolls. I have the patience for that stuff.

Also, about a year ago, maybe more, I was playing thieves a lot and actually got serpent's bite in a surge of power in UD:2, at around level 6, just after descending through SMC.
I was so overwhelmingly excited that the guardian was a mere troll, that I forgot how powerful their ranged attack is against char with 30 HP and 4 PV...
After that horrible death I quit adom for several weeks.

I still can't get over that stupid loss. In that case, I had no patience to wait for a single offensive wand to drop, in a place like DD or anywhere, really.
Nooo, let's yolo that highly experienced named troll with a gray elven thief with no healing, no HP, no PV, no nothing.
What's the worst that could happen, right? Damn, I'm reliving that horribly botched run all over again and it threatens the tenuous control over my own bladder.

(...) gnome/troll monk would have been an easier start for this, since wall kicking (...)

Level 13 vs 14 in my case wasn't such a big difference and since I already did not mind rerolling dozens of chars, going the monk route would have been a bit of a waste, since melting items rather than ore was a crucial element of my equipment management. Don't think I could do that with monks, even if I learned smithing very early. Finally, using pick axe to dig walls is somehow more comfortable than kicking.