PDA

View Full Version : ADOM Ultra-Ultra Competition!

mtf
10-03-2016, 12:53 AM
Hey Everyone,

Announcing the ADOM Ultra-Ultra Competition (brought to you by the /r/roguelikes Discord)! The rules are simple; complete an ultra run using two game modifiers, TOUGH monsters and FEW treasures. The first person to complete such a run and submit a video to me will recieve 50$ (via Paypal / Steam games)!

Here are the requirements:
1) TOUGH monsters and FEW treasures set at character generation. It also must be a real game, no exploration mode!
2) Complete an ULTRA run! (Original ChAoS God ending is also acceptable!)
3) RECORD your run! Whether that be through personal recording software or a streaming service like Twitch, a fully recorded run must be submitted to be selected as the winner!
4) Also submit an FLG file containting your character dump after the win!

I wanted to extend an invitation to anybody here who is interested. I'm not sure that this challenge has actually be completed yet, but even if it has it would be nice to get a full run on video. Anyone submitting a run must do so through our Discord (for organizational purposes). It can be submitted to any of the Admin's / Mod's. Here's a link to the ADOM channel: https://discord.gg/BfVfNcY

Hope to see some more entries! Good luck, and have fun!

EDIT:
Announcing the winner of the ADOM Ultra Ultra competition! After performing his second Ultimate ChAoS God win as a Mist Elf Chaos Knight (this time fully recorded), I'm happy award Ster with $50! It's a rather amusing run that does a few things out of the ordinary (like visit the quickling tree!), so I highly recommend giving it a watch! Here's a link to the run (seperated into a few parts): https://www.twitch.tv/sterroidss/videos/highlights

I also would like to announce a runner up... God of ADoM was able to defeat AnDoR DrAkOn as Gnomish Necromancer + Champion of Order, achieving the Ultimate Lawful Ending! This run is a particularly cool watch due to God of ADoM becoming an Archmage, meaning he had infinite wishes to wish for anything he wanted in the game. Check out his full run here: https://www.twitch.tv/yollamist/v/96310288

Thanks to everyone else who participated =)

JellySlayer
10-04-2016, 04:03 AM
Interesting. Any requirements as far as version is concerned?

blunk
10-04-2016, 03:12 PM
On a related note, what are your experiences of those settings?
Ie tough monsters/few treasures.

I've only seen Gordon dying once on those, seems like tough monsters are worse than few items.

mtf
10-04-2016, 04:17 PM
The only version requirement is that you will need a copy of ADOM that has the new difficulty settings... I would prefer the latest version however.

As for the settings, from my experience (watching Gordon and listening to others in the ADOM discord) the tough monsters have about 33% extra HP and buffed DV/PV, but the same damage. Few items is actually quite significant too... I watched Gordon go through all of the Terinyo quests/dungeons and not find a single piece of body armor, rendering his PV extremely low... Coupled with the tough monsters, he was having a pretty hard time, and there was a lot more strategy involved than his usual vids (doppelgangers were super dangerous for him since he was an archer). Overall I think the combo makes for a pretty tough challenge!

blunk
10-04-2016, 06:43 PM
The only version requirement is that you will need a copy of ADOM that has the new difficulty settings... I would prefer the latest version however.

As for the settings, from my experience (watching Gordon and listening to others in the ADOM discord) the tough monsters have about 33% extra HP and buffed DV/PV, but the same damage. Few items is actually quite significant too... I watched Gordon go through all of the Terinyo quests/dungeons and not find a single piece of body armor, rendering his PV extremely low... Coupled with the tough monsters, he was having a pretty hard time, and there was a lot more strategy involved than his usual vids (doppelgangers were super dangerous for him since he was an archer). Overall I think the combo makes for a pretty tough challenge!

Y weak range really hurts vs dopples, especially if they have extra hps.
Almost no pv after terinyo quests are not that unusual imo, almost no pv after hmw, and terinyo quests thats a bit worse.
Otoh I guess smc/ud is a different beast with those settings.

JellySlayer
10-05-2016, 07:48 AM
On a related note, what are your experiences of those settings?
Ie tough monsters/few treasures.

I've only seen Gordon dying once on those, seems like tough monsters are worse than few items.

I played through till level 14 on a farmer. Loot is big problem. Had done VD, PC, D:1-9, R1. So maybe 20-25 full levels, including 2 lesser vaults, IIRC. Found 7 potions (1 water), 6 scrolls, 2 wands, 1 ring, 1 amulet total, with treasure hunter. Reached DT with under 1000 gold, never spent any before then.

I think Archer is probably smart choice since you can scum missiles independently of loot table. Elementalist should do okay... other casters may be quite book poor.

blunk
10-05-2016, 08:56 AM
I played through till level 14 on a farmer. Loot is big problem. Had done VD, PC, D:1-9, R1. So maybe 20-25 full levels, including 2 lesser vaults, IIRC. Found 7 potions (1 water), 6 scrolls, 2 wands, 1 ring, 1 amulet total, with treasure hunter. Reached DT with under 1000 gold, never spent any before then.

I think Archer is probably smart choice since you can scum missiles independently of loot table. Elementalist should do okay... other casters may be quite book poor.

Again I've had normal games with that low drops on rare occasions and yes it's "shitty".
I was considering human book assassin, dwarf book weaponsmith or elementalist.
I really enjoy assassins and humans have food preserve and swim.
Dwarf Smith can get silly if early game is survived.
Ele have less book drop reqs.
Book starsign is nice for noncasters, otoh other options are probably better if no books shops are found.

Come to think of it any shops generated will be huge.

mtf
10-05-2016, 03:26 PM

Oh wow, that really doesn't give you a lot to work with, does it. I was thinking that casters might be the way to go with this challenge (since spells probably aren't affected by the "tough" monster setting too much), but if barely any books drop they'll be in trouble. I wonder if "few" treasures also affects random shop generation?

blunk
10-05-2016, 03:37 PM
Oh wow, that really doesn't give you a lot to work with, does it. I was thinking that casters might be the way to go with this challenge (since spells probably aren't affected by the "tough" monster setting too much), but if barely any books drop they'll be in trouble. I wonder if "few" treasures also affects random shop generation?

I was also considering bard, if monsters are beefed up so are animals.
Their extra chance on special items while it won't provide extra items, it could be useful.

JellySlayer
10-05-2016, 03:55 PM
I was thinking it would probably be worth checking to see if Pick Pockets is affected by this mode. PP isn't as good as it used to be, but any extra items would probably be a big help.

mtf
10-05-2016, 05:16 PM
I was thinking it would probably be worth checking to see if Pick Pockets is affected by this mode. PP isn't as good as it used to be, but any extra items would probably be a big help.

PP is a great idea! I think it would really complement few treasures, allowing you to grind a bit for the resources you need. It also might actually make PP useful for a change.

JellySlayer
10-06-2016, 04:42 AM
PP seems to be unaffected by the change, though if you don't have the skill at 100, your odds of actually getting an item are pretty pitiful. I tried this with a thief, but it's hard to get anywhere because you can't get any PV. Suppose I should try one of the easier classes rather than thief and farmer :)

Blank4u47
10-06-2016, 04:46 AM
I think I'm going to try a mist elf weaponsmith or duelist, pv issues are covered from the initial equipment, and they both can be strong with very little rng love.

Soirana
10-06-2016, 12:46 PM
I don't have time (until weekend at minimum), but if I had I would roll with mindcrafter (something shop fiendly) and try to open HMV, buy up one shop, sell stuff at other (+some gems to keep cash flow going).

Honestly that does not strike as anything interesting.

mtf
10-06-2016, 03:22 PM
I think mist elf is a really good choice race wise due to the good starting gear (for melee anyway), at least if you can avoid all of the rock fall traps...

@Soirana Interesting that you would choose mindcrafter, any particular reason why? Also while grinding shops (buying from one and selling to another) seems like it'd be very effective at generating gold, if there's nothing to buy in the shops what's the point? Crowning? Stat training in DT? I'm just curious as to why you'd choose that particular route.

Soirana
10-06-2016, 03:31 PM
I think mist elf is a really good choice race wise due to the good starting gear (for melee anyway), at least if you can avoid all of the rock fall traps...

@Soirana Interesting that you would choose mindcrafter, any particular reason why? Also while grinding shops (buying from one and selling to another) seems like it'd be very effective at generating gold, if there's nothing to buy in the shops what's the point? Crowning? Stat training in DT? I'm just curious as to why you'd choose that particular route.

Cause mindcraft works without items?

Shop grind is gold negative, but doing with general stores allows to generate enough items to cover basics.

Blank4u47
10-06-2016, 03:54 PM
Cause mindcraft works without items?

Shop grind is gold negative, but doing with general stores allows to generate enough items to cover basics.

Speaking of mindcrafters, did the 0 turns mindcraft bug get fixed? I haven't played them in a long time due to that bug.

Grond
10-06-2016, 04:37 PM
Speaking of mindcrafters, did the 0 turns mindcraft bug get fixed? I haven't played them in a long time due to that bug.

Fixed since r65.

Blank4u47
10-06-2016, 04:43 PM
Fixed since r65.

Oh cool! One of my favorite classes :)

blunk
10-06-2016, 05:01 PM
I noticed these games ended up in a separate "Custom hall of fame" not viewable from the main menu.
I wonder what highscore goes towards opening bug temple ... all highscores together or one highscore with 100 entries.

Blank4u47
10-06-2016, 05:26 PM
I thought it counted only your total death count, not your high score.

mtf
10-06-2016, 05:29 PM
I noticed these games ended up in a separate "Custom hall of fame" not viewable from the main menu.
I wonder what highscore goes towards opening bug temple ... all highscores together or one highscore with 100 entries.

Good question... I would imagine that it would be all highscores, but it's possible that the adom.cnt doesn't even look at high scores, rather the total number of generated character deaths.

JellySlayer
10-06-2016, 06:41 PM
Got a GE archer going pretty well. Something like this is definitely the way to go, IMHO. PV is still pretty low (12ish), but it's fairly easy to maintain a decent arrow supply thanks to barbarians/fletchery. Got lucky with a quaffed PoEX and have a To potential of 29 now, so after a bit of herb grinding he should be a beast. Also got super lucky with scorched spear in the Black Market that I was able to rob with a potion of invis (!). So I'm up to 4 artifacts... pot of literacy, scorch spear, donor tome (I'm assuming you can sac?), and moon sickle.

Loot supply overall seems a bit better this game compared to my farmer.

blunk
10-06-2016, 08:00 PM
Got a GE archer going pretty well. Something like this is definitely the way to go, IMHO. PV is still pretty low (12ish), but it's fairly easy to maintain a decent arrow supply thanks to barbarians/fletchery. Got lucky with a quaffed PoEX and have a To potential of 29 now, so after a bit of herb grinding he should be a beast. Also got super lucky with scorched spear in the Black Market that I was able to rob with a potion of invis (!). So I'm up to 4 artifacts... pot of literacy, scorch spear, donor tome (I'm assuming you can sac?), and moon sickle.

Loot supply overall seems a bit better this game compared to my farmer.

Impressive. Don't you get cursed/doomed from stealing or is it just a chance?

I've made a few random tries, most successful one:
Got a candle dwarf wand merchant , have a wand of fire, buy -1+1 boots in thief shop.
Run through most of smc but downstairs, blanket and tension room was hidden, managed to get out. large shield +5+1 (maybe found axe here)
Did VD and PC, found a potion shop could afford some healing, booze and carrot for blup, rocking an axe of penetration.
Not a single piece of armour found!

Almost died to barbarians in the wild, had to pray, felt embarrassing.
Down COC I find a bit of morgia currently 23 To.
Luck in bigroom with stairs close.
In dwarf town with a pitful amount of gear, the si gold feels even more op than usual.
Bought cursed orcish helmet +1+2, felt luxurious.
Have optoinal weapon, murderous axe.
Lost cloak and sling. pv 13. 127 hps, lvl12.
Gained, healing, swim.

I could maaaaaaaaaaaaybe see myself grind through a gate closer, but I dunno, this is seriously gimped.
Just trying to grind animated forest with this ....

I feel dropping an eternium or crystal shield in SMC would be such a gamechanger.
The amount of gold dropped even with miser is soooo small and non dwarves while getting si gold, they're not really hoarding.
Time to try and push a dwarf candle weaponsmith through smc/ud.

mtf
10-06-2016, 08:25 PM
Almost died to barbarians in the wild, had to pray, felt embarrassing.

LOL ok this was funnier to me than it should've been.

Blank4u47
10-06-2016, 08:26 PM
FYI, cursing and dooming only happens if you piss off the merchant while nuetral(cursed) or lawful(doomed)
Otherwise, stealing is concequence free :)

JellySlayer
10-06-2016, 09:48 PM
Impressive. Don't you get cursed/doomed from stealing or is it just a chance?

You only get cursedoomed if you get caught. Potion of invis (usually? maybe stealth check as well?) lets you steal a couple items for no penalty beyond maybe a small alignment hit.

I could maaaaaaaaaaaaybe see myself grind through a gate closer, but I dunno, this is seriously gimped.
Just trying to grind animated forest with this ....

I feel dropping an eternium or crystal shield in SMC would be such a gamechanger.
The amount of gold dropped even with miser is soooo small and non dwarves while getting si gold, they're not really hoarding.
Time to try and push a dwarf candle weaponsmith through smc/ud.

I think only eternium halberds, quarterstaves, and 2H swords can drop in SMC at level 1. At least, I don't recall seeing anything else. The guaranteed shield is always small/medium/wood/large of the regular iron variety.

I honestly wonder if TH/Miser make any difference at all on this mode.

Blank4u47
10-06-2016, 10:00 PM
You only get cursedoomed if you get caught. Potion of invis (usually? maybe stealth check as well?) lets you steal a couple items for no penalty beyond maybe a small alignment hit.

I think only eternium halberds, quarterstaves, and 2H swords can drop in SMC at level 1. At least, I don't recall seeing anything else. The guaranteed shield is always small/medium/wood/large of the regular iron variety.

I honestly wonder if TH/Miser make any difference at all on this mode.

TH would be an amazing asset in this competition, as it adds 12.5% chance of drop if monster wouldn't drop anything anyways. Look at the wiki for the numbers, its quite in-depth.

JellySlayer
10-06-2016, 10:21 PM
TH would be an amazing asset in this competition, as it adds 12.5% chance of drop if monster wouldn't drop anything anyways. Look at the wiki for the numbers, its quite in-depth.

The setting definitely nerfs the drops on TH very hard. You get much fewer drops with TH + reduced drops than with regular drops and no TH. Likewise, even with Miser you receive much less.

Clearly the solution is to do this systematically ;) Running some Paladins through Big room under various conditions. I'm ignoring stuff that is obviously guaranteed drops (eg. pixie gold, thrown missiles) and floor drops.

First test: Fighting around Big Room with Dwarf Paladin. Low drops, no TH. 200 kills. Collected 20 corpses, 12 non-corpse drops total. 519 gold.
Second test: Big Room again with Gnome Paladin with TH starting talent. 200 kills. Collected 17 corpses, 16 non-corpse drops. 1074 gold.
Third test: Regular settings, no TH or miser. 200 kills, 14 corpses, 33 drops. 1171 gold.

This is all complicated by the facts of small number statistics and varying loot drop rates for monsters, but the setting approximately cuts the drop rate to approximately 1/3 of normal. Once you get TH, you're up to about half of normal drop rate and miser puts you back to about normal gold. Corpse rate seems to be around 10%.

Blank4u47
10-06-2016, 10:26 PM
Ah, good to know. I can't wait until I have time to play. Question though, what's the easiest tool for recording the game? I have 0 experience with recording software.

JellySlayer
10-06-2016, 11:21 PM
If you have Windows 10, you can just press Windows Key + g to open a free, basic recording tool.

ghostjghost
10-07-2016, 02:42 AM
If you don't have Windows 10(I don't because of all the spyware/lack of control 10 comes with)

Then I recommend OBS Studio - It is free and very easy to use.

mtf
10-07-2016, 04:27 AM
If you don't have Windows 10(I don't because of all the spyware/lack of control 10 comes with)

Then I recommend OBS Studio - It is free and very easy to use.

OBS is a great choice since you can easily hook it up with a twitch stream as well.

blunk
10-07-2016, 04:00 PM
The setting definitely nerfs the drops on TH very hard. You get much fewer drops with TH + reduced drops than with regular drops and no TH. Likewise, even with Miser you receive much less.

Clearly the solution is to do this systematically ;) Running some Paladins through Big room under various conditions. I'm ignoring stuff that is obviously guaranteed drops (eg. pixie gold, thrown missiles) and floor drops.

First test: Fighting around Big Room with Dwarf Paladin. Low drops, no TH. 200 kills. Collected 20 corpses, 12 non-corpse drops total. 519 gold.
Second test: Big Room again with Gnome Paladin with TH starting talent. 200 kills. Collected 17 corpses, 16 non-corpse drops. 1074 gold.
Third test: Regular settings, no TH or miser. 200 kills, 14 corpses, 33 drops. 1171 gold.

This is all complicated by the facts of small number statistics and varying loot drop rates for monsters, but the setting approximately cuts the drop rate to approximately 1/3 of normal. Once you get TH, you're up to about half of normal drop rate and miser puts you back to about normal gold. Corpse rate seems to be around 10%.

You found a lot of gold compared to normal no TH imo with that gnome.
Did the "few item" paladins drop any items apart from those normally thrown/shot?

Have you had any pokes at dwarven graveyard, that area is often a treasure trove that can even drop stuff like dragon scales and other really nice items?

JellySlayer
10-07-2016, 05:15 PM
I tried not to pick up any thrown items. Here's what I ended up with on that character, minus a couple corpses that were eaten. It's possible that the tiny quarrels, arrow, and crude knife were projectiles that I picked up, I guess.

Armor ('[')
ugly clothes [50s]
One-handed weapons ('(')
short sword [30s]
whip [15s]
scimitar [28s]
crude knife [10s]
Missiles ('/')
bundle of 4 drakish scurgari [40s]
bundle of 2 tiny quarrels [4s]
arrow [2s]
Wands ('\')
brass wand [4s]
Food ('%')
kobold shaman corpse [60s]
caveman corpse [120s]
dwarven sausage [20s]
kobold chieftain corpse [60s]
orc corpse [120s]
rat corpse [30s]
goblin slavemaster corpse [60s]
giant rat corpse [60s]
Valuables ('$')
519 gold pieces [5s]
Gems ('*')
green gem [1s]

My archer has cleared the top level of the Griffyard. I don't recall finding anything good there.

blunk
10-07-2016, 06:45 PM
I tried not to pick up any thrown items. Here's what I ended up with on that character, minus a couple corpses that were eaten. It's possible that the tiny quarrels, arrow, and crude knife were projectiles that I picked up, I guess.

My archer has cleared the top level of the Griffyard. I don't recall finding anything good there.

I'm starting to suspect it's less than 1/3, feels like so atleast if ugly clothes is the single item of armour dropped from 200 mobs.

Otoh current normal game with TH feels like I'm drowning in stuff :p

Soirana
10-08-2016, 05:41 AM

Care to post the videos?

JellySlayer
10-08-2016, 07:21 AM
Part 1 (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B83whJ51ODmPTF96ZThGeDdDY3M)
Part 2 (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B83whJ51ODmPaEdFdS1aNWk4bWM)

Haven't had the time to go farther yet.

Hmm... I think I'm missing a clip?

Oh well, died anyway.
Part 3 (dead) (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B83whJ51ODmPcUdZcE5sTDlQRFE)

AlterAsc
10-08-2016, 10:54 AM
Tried DE beastfighter (intention was to kill Andy as C- via throwing TotRR and getting OCG). Unfortunately my starting armor broke after getting to DT and no other armor dropped and i got offed by a mimic on D:5.

Soirana
10-08-2016, 11:28 AM
[

Oh well, died anyway.

Lower griffyard with no tp control and that HP/Pv... was optimistic...

After glimpsing videos I suspect mindcrafter might not be that good choice

timeywimey
10-08-2016, 11:32 AM
I'm not going to even give a shot at this wonderful competition, but if I were to give one I'd definitely go with something with great starting gear. Since OCG is also eligible, why not a chaos knight? Hmh.

blunk
10-08-2016, 12:01 PM
Lower griffyard with no tp control and that HP/Pv... was optimistic...

After glimpsing videos I suspect mindcrafter might not be that good choice

Yes, no starting gear +no drops makes a lot of otherwise good classes nigh impossible.
Sure amw is garantueed and darkforge have stuff but to get there naked .... yeah right.

Soirana
10-08-2016, 12:08 PM
Yes, no starting gear +no drops makes a lot of otherwise good classes nigh impossible.
Sure amw is garantueed and darkforge have stuff but to get there naked .... yeah right.

I think doing drake crafter with rerolls for starting gear (looking foir extra PV, lol).

AMW is not really problem as both bozoe and wand of fireball is still on(and I think chaos knights suck, cause they give away too much guaranteed stuff). DF probably needs either very good precrown or extreme smithing.

timeywimey
10-08-2016, 12:15 PM
Yeah.. chaos knight does give up on the guaranteed things. Never played on any modifiers on so I've no idea how severe the few drops is (-50%? but that still doesn't tell me anything. Obviously I know what 1/2 is but I can't you know get my fingers on how severe the effect). You could always go nc on a chaos knight though for some time to get the stuff. But not sure if the starting eq is good enough to last that long without class powers. meh. gl to all anyways :)

Soirana
10-08-2016, 12:30 PM
May St:16 Le:13 Wi:17 Dx:12 To:21 Ch:10 Ap:11 Ma:13 Pe:14 N=
DV/PV: 12/4 H: 27(27) P: 10(10) Exp: 1/0 DrCh Sp: 110 M: 0

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Background Information

Name: May Race: male Drakeling Class: Mindcrafter
Eye color: blue Hair color: bald Complexion: light blue
Height: 5'10" Weight: 156 pounds
Star sign: Raven Birthday: 14/Raven (day 14 of the year)

YOUR HISTORY:
Your parents belong to the nobility. They are rich, respected,
wealthy and own more than they can count.
In your childhood you were a credit to your family. Your people
loved you and enjoyed your presence.
As a youth you spent a lot of time in the wilds exploring woods and
generally enjoying your freedom. You had a lot of fun and learned to value
the treasures of nature.
Your young adulthood was characterized by hard and long work. You
had decided to study under a renowned master. To your great disappointment
you had to find out, that he was a hard, unjust and tyrannic man,
embittered by his old age. Your apprentice years were quite terrible.
You decided to become a Mindcrafter.

Alertness ................ 38 (fair) [+4d5]
Climbing ................. 34 (fair) [+1d5]
Concentration ............ 57 (good) [+4d4]
First aid ................ 22 (mediocre) [+3d3]
Food preservation ........ 38 (fair) [+1d5]
Gemology ................. 34 (fair) [+4d4]
Haggling ................. 35 (fair) [+4d4]
Herbalism ................ 16 (mediocre) [+3d4]
Listening ................ 39 (fair) [+4d4]
Literacy ................. 87 (great) [+2d4]
Music .................... 39 (fair) [+2d4]
Stealth .................. 28 (mediocre) [+3d3]
Swimming ................. 59 (good) [+1d5]

Inventory
Total weight: 230 stones Carrying capacity: 1650 stones

Head : -
Neck : -
Body : robe (+1, +1) [+0, +1] [60s]
Girdle : -
Cloak : -
Right Hand : quarterstaff (+0, 1d10) [40s]
Left Hand : -
Right Ring : ring of cold resistance [1s]
Left Ring : -
Bracers : -
Gauntlets : -
Boots : sandals [+0, +2] [6s]
Missile Weapon: -
Missiles : -
Tool : -

Stuff

Total weight: 123 stones Carrying capacity: 1650 stones

Rings ('=')
ring of stun resistance [1s]
Wands ('\')
wand of fire (3 charges) [4s]
wand of teleportation (2 charges) [4s]
Potions ('!')
potion of wonder [2s]
potion of invisibility [4s]
potion of water [4s]
Scrolls ('?')
scroll of increase melee accuracy [2s]
Food ('%')
iron ration [100s]
Valuables ('$')
214 gold pieces [2s]

He survived for 0 years, 0 days, 0 hours, 0 minutes and 0 seconds (0 turns).
May visited 1 place.
Version Information

Ancient Domains Of Mystery
Release 71
Windows Deluxe (Steam) Build: Oct 2 2016 16:32:37

I think that will do for start, tp +control, few points of PV and disabler in !ofWonder.

timeywimey
10-08-2016, 12:38 PM
hah, didn't remember mc's always get tp. been a while since I played one. GL!

e: obviously by tp I mean tc

Soirana
10-08-2016, 02:44 PM
Well, that one died to purple jelly in VD... back to rerolling.

AlterAsc
10-08-2016, 05:10 PM
I remember that fourth Thrundarr quest reward can be a set of mithril equipment. At least in 1.1.1 my ranger received it. Question: which classes receive mithril equipment?

JellySlayer
10-08-2016, 07:02 PM
I remember that fourth Thrundarr quest reward can be a set of mithril equipment. At least in 1.1.1 my ranger received it. Question: which classes receive mithril equipment?

Most melee classes get it. Problem is you actually need to get through AF/DH and Ogre Cave to do it.

AlterAsc
10-08-2016, 07:20 PM
I'll leave that part to luck.
My current best idea is candle born gnome barbarian with heir gift (brutal mithril 2hander), which i hope will hold till i replace it with something from DF. First try was abruptly ended by a threat room of invisible stalkers on UD:8, where i realised what was happening too late.

Soirana
10-08-2016, 07:54 PM
Got the Death Blade from precrown (sacced most of the PC vault)... I sorta wanted to quit, but afterall it has decent damage output and defence can be covered by confusion and mental shield. (well, again one can milk orcish spears, but not the plate armours)

Between RNG ( neutralogre magus miulling around stairs) and altar being chaotic I doubt I am going for second precrown, although I can potentially can drag lot of monsters from PC5...

Overall, I think funwise this reminds me playing stone soup crawl.

JellySlayer
10-08-2016, 10:01 PM
Overall, I think funwise this reminds me playing stone soup crawl.

Is that a compliment?

grobblewobble
10-08-2016, 10:07 PM
Doesn't sound like one! :p

Death's Blade is terrible.. just good enough that you can't bring yourself to throw it away after grinding all the piety, but not so good that it actually helps.

Soirana
10-09-2016, 04:58 AM
Is that a compliment?

More like fair comparison. I actually think SCC improved quite a bit lately (I guess they try to be more streamlined and gargoyles are nice class for noobs, like me ), but is still meatgrinder.

I prefer normal Adom, since where you can coast in some periods. So my current dumb (Le potential is at 12) crafter found large (+5,+4) shield (which combines with +3 prot ring he started with) in SMC so I think I play this one, but overall approach is probably to quit early and often.

I think beteween mindcraft, spit and guaranteed stuff, late game won't be problem, ToEF between drake and Raven trident should be doable, so in theory I could just grind out early/early-mid (not sure how I am going to get tp wand to cross the forest).

JellySlayer
10-09-2016, 05:44 AM
You can always just random teleport the VDDL for awhile, long as you have a spare booze.

Soirana
10-09-2016, 07:59 AM
Should not have joked about plate mails:mad:

Character Information

Sssiss St:14 Le: 8 Wi:21 Dx:11 To:20 Ch:11 Ap: 8 Ma:13 Pe:13 C
DV/PV: 15/22 H: 78(93) P: 60(60) Exp: 9/16108 M: 8653

Background Information

Name: Sssiss Race: female Drakeling Class: Mindcrafter
Eye color: light blue Hair color: bald Complexion: light green
Height: 5' Weight: 134 pounds
Star sign: Raven Birthday: 8/Raven (day 8 of the year)

YOUR HISTORY:
Your parents were poor people. They loved you and cared for you,
although you had to hunger more than once.
As a child you had to survive pretty harsh times since your parents
seemed to have run out of luck. Their wealth was ever-declining and times
were very hard.
During your youth you had a lot of fun playing with other kids of
your age. You always were a natural leader and the center of interest.
Your young adulthood was characterized by hard and long work. You
had decided to study under a renowned master. To your great disappointment
you had to find out, that he was a hard, unjust and tyrannic man,
embittered by his old age. Your apprentice years were quite terrible.
You decided to become a Mindcrafter.

Inventory
Total weight: 1333 stones Carrying capacity: 1400 stones

Head : hood [+0, +3] (black market on raider cash)
Body : Perion's mithril plate mail (-1, -4) [-1, +13] [precrown]
Girdle : -
Right Hand : orcish spear (+1, 1d8+2) (milk)
Left Hand : wooden shield (+2) [+3, +1] [SMC]
Right Ring : ring of defense +1 [1s]
Gauntlets : -
Boots : sandals (+1, +1) [+0, +0] [6s]
Missile Weapon: short bow (+1, +0) [20s]
Missiles : bundle of 17 arrows (+0, 1d6) [34s]

Stuff

Total weight: 664 stones Carrying capacity: 1400 stones

Armor ('[')
robe [+0, +4] [start]
Shields ('[')
uncursed small shield [50s]
One-handed weapons ('(')
red dagger (+0, 1d4) [BM]
Missiles ('/')
arrow [2s]
bundle of 2 arrows [4s]
arrow [2s]
arrow [2s]
arrow [2s]
bundle of 2 arrows [4s]
bundle of 3 arrows [6s]
bundle of 2 arrows [4s]
arrow [2s]
bundle of 7 arrows [14s]
arrow [2s]
quarrel [2s]
quarrel [2s]
quarrel [2s]
quarrel [2s]
quarrel [2s]
uncursed quarrel [2s]
arrow [2s]
Tools (']')
blanket [10s]
torch [10s]
round key [1s]
Rings ('=')
ring of stun resistance [1s]
Wands ('\')
wand of stunning (2 charges) [3s]
willow wand {knock} [3s]
Potions ('!')
heap of 3 potions of water [12s]
potion of potential charisma [4s]
potion of booze [4s]
green potion [4s]
potion of booze [4s]
white potion [2s]
Scrolls ('?')
scroll of uncursing [2s]
scroll of power [2s]
scroll labeled "SutsI" [2s]
scroll labeled "REGNAD" [2s]
Food ('%')
heap of 2 large rations [400s]
Valuables ('$')
2065 gold pieces [20s]

Playing Time

You played for 1 hour, 3 minutes and 59 seconds.

I think keeping this time at least for checking how further game looks on (the one with large shield got PV blown by rune trap)

AlterAsc
10-09-2016, 09:45 AM
After my previous gnome barb died during the consumption of jelly cube corpse (suddenly! monster from around the corner) with some luck i managed to do 4 Thrundarr quests. Now i need to somehow get wand of tp, as without it searching for UD entrance or clearing DF is too risky. Then there's also the question of getting blanket or ring of ice, and i don't really see killing ice queen as a possible solution. Video (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_enkzpLgR-eME8zY2J0RWhQd2s/view) if anyone is interested.

Character Information

AlterAsc St:19 Le:10 Wi:15 Dx:21 To:25 Ch:12 Ap:11 Ma:11 Pe:14
N+
DV/PV: 13/28 H: 215(215) P: 21(21) Exp: 14/129834 M: 12939

Background Information

Name: AlterAsc Race: male Gnome Class: Barbarian
Eye color: green Hair color: brown Complexion: tanned
Height: 3'4" Weight: 112 pounds
Star sign: Candle Birthday: 28/Candle (day 298 of the year)

YOUR HISTORY:
Your father was an accomplished hunter and warrior. You were
well-respected and comparatively wealthy.
As a child you were very active and imitated the hunters and
warriors of your tribe at all opportunities.
During your youth you traveled to nearby tribes and traded with
them. You met many strangers and learned a lot about the outside world.
As a young adult your family was killed in a raid. You became
embittered and filled with the desire for revenge.
At the age of 103 you left your tribe.

Inventory
Total weight: 2897 stones Carrying capacity: 2100 stones

Head : blessed adamantium cap [+0, +4] [36s]
Neck : ankh [3s]
Body : uncursed mithril chain mail (-1, -3) [-2, +7] [320s]
Girdle : blessed adamantium girdle [+0, +3] [18s]
Cloak : uncursed cloak of defense [+3, +0] [20s]
Right Hand : blessed brutal mithril two-handed sword (+7, 4d5+6) [-1, +0]
Left Hand : -
Right Ring : blessed ring of fire resistance [1s]
Left Ring : uncursed ring of stun resistance [1s]
Gauntlets : uncursed studded gloves [+1, +2] [6s]
Boots : blessed mithril boots [-1, +3] [96s]
Missiles : bundle of 6 quarrels [12s]

Stuff

Total weight: 2304 stones Carrying capacity: 2100 stones

Helmets ('[')
uncursed hood [+1, +0] [3s]
uncursed metal cap [+0, +1] [50s]
uncursed helm of teleportation [+0, +1] [50s]
Armor ('[')
strange wrapping [50s]
strange wrapping [60s]
Shields ('[')
uncursed tower shield (-2) [+9, +0] [150s]
blessed medium mithril shield [+6, +1] [80s]
Gauntlets ('[')
gauntlets [10s]
Cloaks ('[')
uncursed leather cloak (-1, +0) [+1, +0] [40s]
Necklaces (''')
uncursed amulet of death ray resistance [7s]
One-handed weapons ('(')
blessed hatchet (+0, 1d6+1) [50s]
blessed mithril long sword (+0, 1d8) [32s]
pick axe [75s]
Two-handed weapons ('(')
blessed two-handed sword (+3, 3d5+3) [-1, +0] [100s]
Missile weapons ('}')
uncursed light crossbow (+2, +0) [70s]
Missiles ('*')
heap of 4 uncursed rocks (+3, 1d4) [20s]
heap of 6 uncursed rocks (+0, 1d4+3) [30s]
heap of 8 uncursed rocks (+1, 1d4+1) [40s]
heap of 7 uncursed rocks (+0, 1d4) [35s]
heap of 8 blessed rocks (+0, 1d4) [40s]
bundle of 10 uncursed quarrels (+1, 2d6) [20s]
Tools (']')
heap of 2 uncursed torches [20s]
blessed torch [10s]
uncursed box with flint and steel (40) [5s]
uncursed tinderbox (22) [3s]
uncursed waterproof blanket [10s]
heap of 14 uncursed sis [140s]
uncursed holy symbol [5s]
heap of 3 cursed sis [30s]
blessed si [10s]
heap of 9 sis [90s]
climbing set [180s]
thieves picks [5s]
heap of 2 sis [20s]
Wands ('\')
cursed wand of trap creation (6 charges) [3s]
blessed wand of fireballs (1 charge) {fireballs} [3s]
uncursed wand of digging (0 charges) [3s]
wand of door creation [3s]
wand of trap creation [3s]
Potions ('!')
heap of 2 uncursed potions of healing [8s]
cursed oil of rust removal [2s]
uncursed potion of invisibility [4s]
heap of 4 potions of holy water [16s]
blessed potion of booze [4s]
heap of 5 uncursed potions of booze [20s]
uncursed potion of extra healing [2s]
uncursed potion of cure poison [2s]
cursed potion of booze [4s]
cursed potion of healing [4s]
uncursed potion of poison [4s]
uncursed berzio potion [2s]
uncursed potion of boost speed [2s]
potion of water [4s]
potion of water [4s]
Scrolls ('?')
cursed scroll of information [2s]
uncursed scroll of warning [2s]
heap of 2 uncursed scrolls of light [4s]
cursed scroll of satiation [2s]
papyrus scroll [2s]
Books ('"')
blessed manual of bridge building [100s]
uncursed spellbook of Fire Bolt [100s]
Food ('%')
heap of 21 uncursed cooked lizards [63s]
heap of 25 blessed cooked lizards [75s]
heap of 10 cursed spenseweeds [20s]
heap of 2 blessed curaria mancox herbs [4s]
heap of 2 blessed stomafillia herbs [4s]
heap of 7 cursed pepper petals [14s]
heap of 5 blessed pepper petals [10s]
uncursed bone [4s]
heap of 2 cursed moss patches of mareilon [4s]
heap of 4 cursed alraunia antidotes [8s]
heap of 2 cursed curaria mancox herbs [4s]
heap of 7 uncursed pepper petals [14s]
heap of 11 uncursed morgia roots [22s]
heap of 13 cursed morgia roots [26s]
heap of 9 blessed morgia roots [18s]
heap of 4 uncursed spenseweeds [8s]
blessed spenseweed [2s]
blessed devil's rose [2s]
heap of 2 blessed burb roots [4s]
heap of 5 cursed burb roots [10s]
heap of 3 uncursed burb roots [6s]
uncursed alraunia antidote [2s]
heap of 2 blessed demon daisies [4s]
cursed demon daisy [2s]
blessed alraunia antidote [2s]
heap of 4 uncursed stomafillia herbs [8s]
cursed stomacemptia herb [2s]
heap of 5 uncursed stomacemptia herbs [10s]
cursed stomafillia herb [2s]
cursed devil's rose [2s]
uncursed curaria mancox herb [2s]
Valuables ('$')
9671 gold pieces [96s]
Gems ('*')
blessed crystal of health [1s]

Playing Time

You played for 1 hour, 13 minutes and 13 seconds.

Version Information

Ancient Domains Of Mystery
Release 69
Windows Deluxe Build: Sep 4 2016 12:46:16

blunk
10-09-2016, 11:49 AM
Wow, how did you find all those items.

A few more booze for wand and you could do pyramid, grind thief town?
That would also unlock doing nonnak for gaunts.

AlterAsc
10-09-2016, 12:03 PM
Almost all potions are from potion shop and other shops, all mithril and higher equipment (except from 2hander(heir gift) and armor(lucky find) ) and ring of !Fire are given by Thrundarr. I expected to get a backup armor, but mithril chain mail from Thrundarr quest was extra-heavy <> of hunger.
Pyramid already done.
The one real lucky find was helm of teleportation in DT shop.

Soirana
10-09-2016, 12:07 PM
Pyramid already done.
The one real lucky find was helm of teleportation in DT shop.
Good job:). Mybe I won't need to do this myself... I've checked uploads and it shows 12+ hours for 500Mb, might need to get closer to civilized places.

SinsI
10-09-2016, 01:18 PM
After my previous gnome barb died during the consumption of jelly cube corpse (suddenly! monster from around the corner) with some luck i managed to do 4 Thrundarr quests. Now i need to somehow get wand of tp, as without it searching for UD entrance or clearing DF is too risky. Then there's also the question of getting blanket or ring of ice, and i don't really see killing ice queen as a possible solution. Video (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_enkzpLgR-eME8zY2J0RWhQd2s/view) if anyone is interested.

Is there some reason for walking around on Berserk even then no one is in the melee range? Or is it that you just don't want to bother to constantly switch the settings?

AlterAsc
10-09-2016, 03:26 PM
Is there some reason for walking around on Berserk even then no one is in the melee range? Or is it that you just don't want to bother to constantly switch the settings?
Usually i don't bother, unless i believe there's a dangerous enemy around.

Anyway, dead. Next time i'll decide to kill Chaos Diplomat on behalf of Ice Queen, i'll check that he has 254 speed before i attack him. And i couldn't hit him even once with +94 to-hit. And of course he ignores PV, while dealing 52-110(avg. 62) damage per hit.
Second part (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_enkzpLgR-eZWhYZU8tT2c0SXc) where i clear graveyard, darkforge and die in IQD.

grobblewobble
10-09-2016, 09:40 PM
The Chaos Diplomat will die instantly from a thrown PoCC. Since the first Ice Queen quest conveniently rewards you with a couple of extra PoCC, it's worth spending one imo.

Soirana
10-10-2016, 05:42 AM
Okay, so played a bit further. DV/PV at 25/25, which is okay for now, but needs to be improved. The worst is that I need better shield... and better weapon too.

Sssiss St:15 Le: 8 Wi:22 Dx:11 To:23 Ch:11 Ap: 9 Ma:13 Pe:13 CN
DV/PV: 25/25 H: 119(148) P: 93(93) Exp: 14/101820 M: 20676

Head : metal cap [+0, +1] [50s]
Body : uncursed Perion's mithril plate mail (-1, -4) [-1, +13]
Girdle : blessed adamantium girdle [+0, +3] [just dropped]
Right Hand : uncursed large mithril hammer (-4, 1d10+5) [meh]
Left Hand : blessed large shield (-1) [+7, +1] [120s]
Right Ring : uncursed ring of defense +1 [1s]
Gauntlets : uncursed gauntlets (-1, +0) [+0, +1] [10s]
Boots : uncursed sandals (+1, +1) [+0, +0] [6s]
Missiles : blessed small mithril shield [+3, +1]
Tool : uncursed torch [10s]

Gauntlets ('[')
uncursed gloves [+0, +0] [6s]
white gauntlets [I checked 2PV, so likely dragon hide]
Necklaces (''')
uncursed amulet of free action [lost already, some breath attack]
One-handed weapons ('(')
blessed orcish spear (+1, 1d8+2) [75s]
blessed green club (+0, 1d6-1) [sold already]
Missiles ('/')
uncursed arrow (+0, 1d6-3) [2s]
bundle of 2 uncursed arrows (+0, 1d6+1) [4s]
uncursed arrow of slaying (+0, 1d6+2) [2s]
blessed arrow (+1, 1d6) [2s]
bundle of 6 uncursed arrows (+0, 1d6) [12s]
bundle of 3 cursed arrows (+0, 1d6) [6s]
bundle of 3 blessed arrows (+0, 1d6) [6s]
bundle of 3 uncursed arrows (+3, 1d6) [6s]
uncursed balanced arrow (+4, 1d6) [2s]
bundle of 4 uncursed arrows (+1, 1d6) [8s]
uncursed arrow of targeting (+6, 1d6) [2s]
uncursed arrow (+0, 1d6+2) [2s]
uncursed arrow [2s]
quarrel [2s]
bundle of 7 arrows [14s]
Tools (']')
blessed waterproof blanket [10s]
uncursed round key [1s]
cursed box with flint and steel (47) [5s]
uncursed fireproof blanket [10s]
strange item [10s]
fireproof blanket [two random fire blankets....]
Wands ('\')
uncursed wand of stunning (2 charges) [3s]
uncursed wand of knocking (3 charges) {knock} [3s]
uncursed wand of ball lightning (5 charges) [4s]
uncursed wand of light (8 charges) [4s]
uncursed wand of item detection (2 charges) [3s]
uncursed iron wand {tp} [charged up]
wand of wonder (4 charges) [last resort]
wand of door creation (4 charges) [3s]
Potions ('!')
heap of 5 potions of holy water [20s]
uncursed potion of potential charisma [4s]
uncursed potion of healing [4s]
cursed potion of booze [4s]
cursed oil of rust removal [2s]
uncursed potion of invisibility [4s]
uncursed rainbow-hued potion {heal} [from HMV]
heap of 2 potions of water [8s]
Scrolls ('?')
uncursed scroll of uncursing [2s]
blessed scroll of power [2s]
uncursed scroll of balance [2s]
uncursed scroll of increase melee damage [2s]
Food ('%')
heap of 8 cursed spenseweeds [16s]
heap of 2 cursed alraunia antidotes [4s]
heap of 3 cursed pepper petals [6s]
heap of 4 cursed moss patches of mareilon [8s]
cursed curaria mancox herb [2s]
heap of 2 uncursed large rations [400s]
spenseweed [2s]
alraunia antidote [2s]
Valuables ('$')
4458 gold pieces [44s]
Gems ('*')
cursed crystal of light [1s]
cursed worthless piece of blue glass [1s]
cursed turquoise [1s]
blessed crystal of light [1s]
uncursed crystal of fire [1s]
Playing Time

You played for 2 hours, 30 minutes and 1 second.
{UD8 - was not good, luckily rust monsters are mindcraftable}

So, my not so hot plan:
0.Call the internet provider (I know that my download speed was always at least 5x better than upload, but this is getting stupid)
1. back to arena generate some cash (to buy smithing) --- need to clear up big room, I think I just confused waved and run on the way in.
2.Buy smithing (girdle is definitely worth smithing, maybe even mithril shield if I have enough ore, not sure about iron stuff - I'd prefer at least black-dragon gauntlets)
2.1 get pickaxe (probably through pyramid, although might as well kill dwarves while I am C) and corrode it (to cut on repairs - corroded pick can be covered by gemology).
3.Fix St -- 15 is at potential max, I think stuff ogre corpses to dwarf shop, raise food preserve at least to 60 and grind stone giants.
3.1 get enough herbs for stat training, I've paid for learning, but I am not so sure it's worth improving at this point.
4. Get better weapon, my guess would be farm hills for orcs, but I need down the luck, so lure and lock karmic lizard (disarmer would not hurt either), will likely need to grind my neutral piety afterwards (I think I used up most of my chaos piety anyway). Bless and rustproof weapon if it happens to be iron-made(likely).
5. Kill stone statue for Thundarr, I think I left one in PC6 mixed vault in case big room fails to spawn it.

Good news, UD8 had some ants and it looks like gems drop rather normally. Problemic part is anvil/pick axe repairs - so probably need to mine a lot, before even thinking about killing smith.

Lots of grinding ahead:mad:

Soirana
10-10-2016, 01:24 PM
Lots of grinding ahead:mad:
Okay, so I recalled another source of items... grave digging. And I mean simple non-great treassure graves.

Even more reasons to corrode pick-axe. Surprisingly about ten hits into oozes did nothing. Might be due to -acid from plate mail.

Pretty sure grave robbery comes before smithing, might need go for stone giants first Big Punch +Perion is already burdened on 15 St, I think.

Soirana
10-10-2016, 04:49 PM
Okay, so I recalled
Managed to hit Shift-Q while in graveyard... ups.

p.s. figures I've dug mace of destruction just before....

mtf
10-10-2016, 07:37 PM
Just to give everyone a quick update, there have been many, many deaths so far (death by cat lord, mimic in casino, early crowning, GUV's, etc) and not a single submission! This game type is turning out to be quite the challenge it seems, and it's been very fun to watch the struggle =) Keep it up guys!

JellySlayer
10-10-2016, 07:54 PM
I had a good run going with a GE elementalist the other day. Well, he was an Elementalist in name only... got precrowned with True Aim and never looked back. Had a book shop near DT from which I grabbed Teleport + MM. Had rune-covered trident and High Kings. Overconfidence got me... was clearing out Darkforge and decided to try to kill Kherab. That went... poorly.

Soirana
10-11-2016, 09:43 AM
I think I pass on this thing... had nice crafter with preserwer found club of pentrtion. Doing nicely.... until power went out. Savefile has backup, but I can't say the same about 2+ hours of video.:mad:

mtf
10-11-2016, 02:53 PM
I think I pass on this thing... had nice crafter with preserwer found club of pentrtion. Doing nicely.... until power went out. Savefile has backup, but I can't say the same about 2+ hours of video.:mad:

Ouch, that is rough... what recording software were you using? Some of them will write up to like the last 10s of video to disk, it's possible that you didn't lose everything

Soirana
10-11-2016, 03:51 PM
Ouch, that is rough... what recording software were you using? Some of them will write up to like the last 10s of video to disk, it's possible that you didn't lose everything

Well, I don't think mine writes properly at least not on crashes. Absolutely worst is that I know stuff like that happens here and I use spec device for equalizing power and to act as back-up source for some time... but apparently only three sockets have power back-up function and I stuffed PC into the fourth...

On bright side, I developed methodology to start scum -- roll for char with invis pot and rob BM for PV. That also allows to buy detect traps on Hotz/Kranach money (apprently one shop robbery is enough to unlock thieves guild stuff (don't know if there is minimum for items))

shockeroo
10-12-2016, 07:52 AM
Just started this tonight; Gnomish Raven Wizard currently on DD:6 and precrowned with Nature' Companion. 500+ castings of Acid Bolt and Magic Missile. So far, so good. :)

Soirana
10-12-2016, 04:53 PM
part one of cheesy start -- https://youtu.be/0FcORTFWLjE.

I wish my precrown was True Aim/Nature's Companion (although I think char might make it - I've played a bit further)

edit: part two -- https://youtu.be/k-my9mPsgVk

part 3 -- https://youtu.be/msS5W72PQgc -- mostly grind:(.
part 4-- https://youtu.be/aQsbq8s9tcQ expected more goodies from graverobbing

mtf
10-13-2016, 08:36 PM
Announcing the first submission to the ADOM Ultra Ultra Competition, completed by Ster! Ster was able to defeat Andor Drakon and achieve UlTiMaTe ChAoS GoD status as a Mist Elf Chaos Knight! Congratulations to him, here's a link to the final fight against the ChAoS GoD himself! https://www.twitch.tv/sterroidss/v/94635343

However, there is a catch... Due to various issues, a complete recording of the run is not available! As such, the requirements of the contest have not been fulfilled, and we cannot award him the win. We would like to reward Ster with an Honorable Mention, the Contest Winner role (he deserves it!), and access to a new super secret channel reserved for the roguelike elite!

That said, THE COMPETITION IS NOT OVER! EVERYONE still has a chance to WIN $50 by winning an Ultra Ultra and submitting the video of a complete run! We're looking forward to more submissions!

NOTE: This is the announcement I just posted in the /r/roguelikes discord, duplicating it here for everyone involved in the contest =)

Soirana
10-15-2016, 02:03 AM
part 5 -- https://youtu.be/Fo2VefkpePw - got through tower

Over all, blind rages seems to be on going problem (I would guess fuckers are raging from health lost, which does not account for extra hp from settings.). Definitely need better weapon at this point(Casino was meh), can't remember myself wearing slaying rings that much...

timeywimey
10-15-2016, 10:57 AM
(apprently one shop robbery is enough to unlock thieves guild stuff (don't know if there is minimum for items))

Wow. Said this time and time again but I'll just say it again: Amazing how after years and years one can still learn new things about this game. Any idea has the five finger discount unlocked the thieves guild since when (version)?

Soirana
10-15-2016, 11:54 AM
Wow. Said this time and time again but I'll just say it again: Amazing how after years and years one can still learn new things about this game. Any idea has the five finger discount unlocked the thieves guild since when (version)?

Well, it was always similar, you just needed multiple shop robberies. I think amount was changed during guild/pick pockets rebalance.

On other notes, I am about to start smithing (very interesting I know) and with limited DV returns... well... maybe I should consider feeding Protector to demented ratling...

Soirana
10-15-2016, 06:13 PM
Okay, so all nice and smithed (~90/50 on very aggresive), I somewhat backup (with perm invisibility) after beating bunch of earth elementals. Frost giant blocks the corridor... what bad can happen....
Message log (Frost giant hits you, critically hits you (prob to 1HP), crittically hits you ). Nice -117.

I wish best luck for anyone trying that, cause they will need all that luck. (Good side is I won't need to do the uploads, I guess).

mtf
10-15-2016, 06:51 PM
Okay, so all nice and smithed (~90/50 on very aggresive), I somewhat backup (with perm invisibility) after beating bunch of earth elementals. Frost giant blocks the corridor... what bad can happen....
Message log (Frost giant hits you, critically hits you (prob to 1HP), crittically hits you ). Nice -117.

I wish best luck for anyone trying that, cause they will need all that luck. (Good side is I won't need to do the uploads, I guess).

Ouch! Pretty crazy that a frost giant killed you like that though 50 PV... were you doomed or something? As far as I know the tough monsters setting doesn't affect monster DPS, so that seems really unlucky.

Soirana
10-15-2016, 07:23 PM
Ouch! Pretty crazy that a frost giant killed you like that though 50 PV... were you doomed or something? As far as I know the tough monsters setting doesn't affect monster DPS, so that seems really unlucky.

Depends on how you define DPS.

Damage per hit might be unaffected, but I had severe issues clearing Frost giant great vault, after Casino restock. It's not like I was smithing between tackling Air and Earth temples for the fun of it.

Per my experience monster to hit is higher (to the point DV fails to compensate), and lot of mobs go on blind death rages (might be not setting, but version difference -- I saw very little panickng mobs). So overall damage per encountered monster is way higher. (I was cursed in Frost giant caves, but cleared up while smithing)

blunk
10-15-2016, 07:52 PM
Depends on how you define DPS.

Damage per hit might be unaffected, but I had severe issues clearing Frost giant great vault, after Casino restock. It's not like I was smithing between tackling Air and Earth temples for the fun of it.

Per my experience monster to hit is higher (to the point DV fails to compensate), and lot of mobs go on blind death rages (might be not setting, but version difference -- I saw very little panickng mobs). So overall damage per encountered monster is way higher. (I was cursed in Frost giant caves, but cleared up while smithing)

The little I played I think monster damage was slightly higher than normal, don't know about to hit but 90 dv is a LOT for a frost giant to rage through.

Soirana
10-16-2016, 02:22 AM
The little I played I think monster damage was slightly higher than normal, don't know about to hit but 90 dv is a LOT for a frost giant to rage through.

Well, it was d40+ and giant was likely from tension room remains. Overall it is not super new issue, regular guys with obscene xp levels tend to be more dangerous than stuff properly generated at that depth. (I think worst case I've ever read was margoyle open tension room in scintilating caves (or something similar))

edit: it was in BDC actually -- http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=3785

Soirana
10-18-2016, 09:50 AM
I experimented a bit more with 'tough monsters' and it looks like mobs get extra attacks (not always, but orcs with three attacks happen fairly early in SMC ).

Soirana
10-21-2016, 04:13 AM
Since, looks like no on else is going to do it... Well, I think I'll try crawl-like approach -- slow and steady with goal orientated shorter plays.

Overall strategy:
-take TH (too good from what I've tried), strong thrower (at char level 18), probably PV line in between these.
-plan to be chaotic for quite some time (grave digging, killing milked beggars) - at the time of planning I didn't know tome of donors does not give benefits for chaotics

Let's make the list or something
1. Rob the BM, get blanket, find UD stairs, install detect traps (so precious PC points are not blown by runes) and healing. (likely kill Kranach for cash)
2. Look for Tome of Donors (I quess, quit char if moldy dungeon happens to be on other mountain side), do precrown, maybe drop in some other random dungeon (looking for shops/herbs/pools/etc)
3.reach DT, start dwarven quests, farm herbs in Big Room, while collecting loot/looking for dwarf elder quest kill. I should by smithing early, maybe some points (up to 15) in learning too.
4.Clear dwarven quests, start pyramid
5. Griffyard/dig as much as possible, try to dig great treasure graves in the end (don't fight high end liches, need at least couple potions of invisbility and ~6 tp charges). Boozefarm (will be chaotic at this point and close to the east)
6. to be determined by results of 1-5 (likely high kings dungeons/dark forge). Overall I am intended to leave IQD after Casino (as drake I think ToEF is easier than IQD).

Videos:
1. https://youtu.be/qCyqSV_TUDo
2. https://youtu.be/jEwKFr3LNxA
3. https://youtu.be/1LZbxagSc4c
4 https://youtu.be/gHWBh0cB9pk
5.https://youtu.be/A8IUpHS27vc
Descriptions of results in the next post..

Soirana
10-21-2016, 04:50 AM
1.So, this time got mithril rapier of lightning in BM... sort of meh, but at least immune to exploding runes.
I didn't find stairs in SMC (starting room was dark, so I couldn't use Skriek to kill monsters for me, luckily he wasn't moving), SMC shield was -2PV type...
I guess I could have checked few places for moldy dungeon while I was looking for Kranach. Figured that wands still apply PV based damage to mobs, so took Kranach with wand of slaying. (should have saved charges and used mindcraft)
2. I've got scroll shop in Pc4, which restocked into scroll of item detection (which I uncursed and managed to to fail to tp on the wand (:mad:) at very elast I know aproximate area to dig). Got an early altar... in the corner of room.
PC6 vault was orcs, so I milked as many spears as I could, no ego weapons... After some effort I found moldy dungeon (3rd level had goblin vault and an altar... again in the corner)
ToD was picked up buy some random monster (never found cash pile). I nearly killed myself while trying wand of far slaying bounce on stone golem (he shrugged everything). I grabbed the tome and made hasty retreat (coward speed bonus helped).
Proceeded to CoC, found third altar (neutral, which I converted to C), this time it was not in the corner:). Used cooked lizards for food, and tension room for saccs... got Protector.
Overall, thinks I was looking for were like Executor, Iron crown, scarf. Unless I get serious slaying weapon, Protector won't do much in the late game. However, it would speed mid game and allow delay dealing with smithing.
The main reason to keep the char was stuff I've got from ToD - +10 speed and resistance (and I should stop reading it until I convert to neutral)
3. So, I've got a potion shop somewhere between Arena and Big Room. Despite brown worm infestation farmed my stat herbs, killed dark orc for dwarf. Also took a peak below DT. D13 has mixed vault (nearly got myself killed by ogre lord) luckily most of it is not awaken. I've tried scouting DH1... opened tension room withing 10 turns.. Well, time to mine out tp wand, I guess. (fixed learning, no cash for smithing yet)

mtf
10-22-2016, 09:40 PM
Announcing the winner of the ADOM Ultra Ultra competition! After performing his second Ultimate ChAoS God win as a Mist Elf Chaos Knight (this time fully recorded), I'm happy award Ster with $50! It's a rather amusing run that does a few things out of the ordinary (like visit the quickling tree!), so I highly recommend giving it a watch! Here's a link to the run (seperated into a few parts): https://www.twitch.tv/sterroidss/videos/highlights

I also would like to announce a runner up... God of ADoM was able to defeat AnDoR DrAkOn as Gnomish Necromancer + Champion of Order, achieving the Ultimate Lawful Ending! This run is a particularly cool watch due to God of ADoM becoming an Archmage, meaning he had infinite wishes to wish for anything he wanted in the game. Check out his full run here: https://www.twitch.tv/yollamist/v/96310288

Thanks to everyone else who participated =)

Soirana
10-23-2016, 11:35 AM
Announcing the winner of the ADOM Ultra Ultra competition!
Cute :)...

GordonOverkill
11-10-2016, 09:08 PM
Congratulations to the winner! I gave it two or three tries, too, but didn't get a really promising character going and sadly it kinda collided with my project to finish a 15-runes-run in DCSS. Gonna try to get a run with commentary done sometimes in the future :)