PDA

View Full Version : did Kherab get buffed?

mjkittredge
10-19-2016, 11:26 PM
I was trying to get the evil dwarf's anvil. Level 20 Orc Paladin, 7 skill with bows, 8 blessed humanoid slaying arrows (poisoned). Could only get him to about 1/3 HP before I ran out of ammo. Switched to arrows of darkness, got him blinded, hit him in melee on berserk with sword of sharpness. Still couldn't do enough to kill him before he recovered and started hitting back. All my other characters destroyed him, I'm wondering if he got buffed in recent versions.

So, I Teleported away, locked the door behind me, sipped the pools hoping for a wish before I left. Got doomed and aged to Very Old at 60, lost teleport control and got teleportitis. So I headed over to the ID to find a blink dog corpse. Those guys generate most often at level 4+, right?

Blank4u47
10-20-2016, 12:29 AM
I was trying to get the evil dwarf's anvil. Level 20 Orc Paladin, 7 skill with bows, 8 blessed humanoid slaying arrows (poisoned). Could only get him to about 1/3 HP before I ran out of ammo. Switched to arrows of darkness, got him blinded, hit him in melee on berserk with sword of sharpness. Still couldn't do enough to kill him before he recovered and started hitting back. All my other characters destroyed him, I'm wondering if he got buffed in recent versions.

So, I Teleported away, locked the door behind me, sipped the pools hoping for a wish before I left. Got doomed and aged to Very Old at 60, lost teleport control and got teleportitis. So I headed over to the ID to find a blink dog corpse. Those guys generate most often at level 4+, right?

No idea on kherab, but I've always gotten lucky looking for blink dogs on pc5, high monster gen helps there. As for ID, I thought it was 3 and 4

pjsb1
10-20-2016, 06:26 AM
Kherab's always been tough as nails. I'm not sure exactly why you couldn't kill him with your slaying arrows but a bunch of unlucky rolls maybe coulda done it since he has 35 pv.

Carter
10-20-2016, 06:28 AM
high damage + high PV he is pretty tough. I'd generally wait until well past level 20 to deal with him.

JellySlayer
10-20-2016, 04:49 PM
He's always been quite formidable. In melee, he's a decent match for a level 50 character.

mjkittredge
10-20-2016, 06:29 PM
Hmmm, I really want that anvil. Lured Glod off the level so the Dwarftown forge is open for business.

Is there a tricky way to pull off the kill of Kherab? Wands of paralyzation/poison, or keeping him perma blind with a stack of cursed potions of invisibility? Maybe a scroll of familiar summoning on DH1

JellySlayer
10-20-2016, 07:18 PM
If the pool room has favorable water layouts, you can lure him there and kill him with missiles. He can't swim, so you can trap him on the opposite side from you. Then you just need to outdamage his regeneration + PV.

Cactus
10-20-2016, 07:34 PM
...or you could just take Glod's anvil instead?

mjkittredge
10-21-2016, 03:01 AM

Yeah but then there are no more pick axe repairs. I have about 6, and would probably find a bunch more. But still if you're going to smith you might as well go all the way or not at all. Those 7/7 bracers, girdle, helm ect. And backups in case they get destroyed. Or if I find something better like crown of regen/lightning later on.

Soirana
10-21-2016, 03:51 AM

Buy some keys and dip 19 of them into potion of exchange?(or logs + potions of raw chaos)

shockeroo
10-21-2016, 10:52 PM
He's always been a goddamn monster!

I can't remember if poisoned ammo was effective?

mjkittredge
10-22-2016, 04:51 AM
He's always been a goddamn monster!

I can't remember if poisoned ammo was effective?

It works on him but is only a fraction of his turn to turn HP regen. I swear he regens like 30 hps a turn or more. He's succeptible to blinding, not sure about confusion. Think paralyzation works on him too.

auricbond
10-24-2016, 01:13 PM
Stacked about 4 poison-wand zaps on him today and hit him 9 times with penetrating poisoned arrows, and he still climbed back to full health. Was spread out though due to teleportitis, so maybe he recovered from one level of poisoning before I got the next one in.

grobblewobble
10-24-2016, 03:57 PM
Instead of poison, try a backstab for massive damage. A backstab with the cow axe works wonders.

auricbond
10-24-2016, 04:25 PM
Instead of poison, try a backstab for massive damage. A backstab with the cow axe works wonders.

Was level 16 and had less than 140 hp. I did melee him a few times with skullcrusher though in full knowledge he could insta-gib me, getting him as far as critically wounded before I died due to not really giving a damn.

mjkittredge
10-26-2016, 10:51 AM
I got 7lbs so I can kite him now, it's just a matter of doing enough damage. I think first I'll do TotHK and then IQDomain. Still no wish, no AOLS, no Ring of Fire. Dug half the graves in Dwarven graveyard and worst I had to deal with was a Lich King who drained a half dozen points of Perception