PDA

View Full Version : Musical tastes

pblack
08-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Anyone else here has a keen musical affinity?

I've been a bassist for 9 years now so even thou I started listening to Black Sabbath and Metallica nowadays I listen to a LOT of different music. From the jazzmasters to modern, well built, pop music.

So... what about you guys? Is adom like warcraft where everyone just listens progressive metal? =P. Nothing against it... I've distanced myself from metal throughout the years but I still listen to some good bands like Pain of Salvation and some other, more obscure, post modern bands like Isis or Russian Circles. Also, the best band in the world IMO is Tool... so I can't really say I "distanced" myself from heavy music in general.

A very...very...very reduced list of recommended bands follows:

Antimatter (Leaving Eden and Planetary Confinement are the good albums - mood rock)
Anekdoten (prog rock)
A Perfect Circle (heavy rock)
Charles Mingus (best jazz IMO)
The gutter Twins (rock)
Institute (1 album band... with Gavin Rossdale from bush in the vocals)
Russian Circles (Instrumental post rock)
Portishead (trip hop)
Tool (best band in the world IMO)

I'm sure that some (or all) of those artists you know already. But If I were to recommend something from my playlist to anyone (that isn't a well known classic) those would be some of the higher ranked.

Let's exchange bands =P

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
08-12-2009, 07:36 AM
I`m very conservative so I prefer music from my youth. Yeah it was a nice time of being different than others... that means that I like the usual set of musics which includes Metallica, Linkin Park, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Scorpions, Sting, and some russian rock and punk-rock bands which you never heard about.

nlgraham
08-12-2009, 02:46 PM
I`m very conservative so I prefer music from my youth. Yeah it was a nice time of being different than others... that means that I like the usual set of musics which includes Metallica, Linkin Park, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Scorpions, Sting, and some russian rock and punk-rock bands which you never heard about.

One of these things is not like the others, one of these things does not belong....

Anyway, I mostly listen to talk radio shows (but not the political kind) - I find it distracts me less at work and I actually learn a thing or two. When I listen to music, I like prog rock - Spock's Beard, Flower Kings, Transatlantic, Glass Hammer, etc. Classic rock is good too, everything Boris mentioned minus Linkin Park and Scorpions, plus Pink Floyd, Eagles, SRV, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. I also like some chillout electronica like Thievery Corporation, Phutureprimative, Alvik, The Irresistible Force and so forth.

warheart
08-12-2009, 07:11 PM
I like pretty much everything, from classical music and romantic pop to black metal. I'll listen to some of your favourites, always looking for some new (for me) good music.

My favourite group, by the way, is Muse, and I'll be attending their gig in Barcelona the 27th of November.

pblack
08-12-2009, 08:21 PM
I like pretty much everything, from classical music and romantic pop to black metal. I'll listen to some of your favourites, always looking for some new (for me) good music.

My favourite group, by the way, is Muse, and I'll be attending their gig in Barcelona the 27th of November.

Great band as well. Crazily talented guitarrist.

warheart
08-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Great band as well. Crazily talented guitarrist.

And pianist, he rocks, hehe.

About your music, I listened some songs and really liked Charles Mingus. Already knew some of the groups, like Tool. Always liked some of their songs, like Parabola.

otus
08-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Progressive rock, especially early 70s.

Lately been listening to

Camel (long time favourite)
Greenslade (great keaboards, feat. Dave Lawson from Web / Samurai)
Spring (only 1 album, but 1 of the best, for Mellotron enthusiasts)
Indian Summer (quite heavy, another one album band)
Beggars Opera (Water of Change and Pathfinder, two great albums from Scotland)

Italian progressive

Maxophone (the original Italian version)
Il balletto di bronzo (Ys is probably the best Italian prog album, a mind blower) [EDIT: After listening this again, I must say this is the best album ever made anywhere. If you know anything like it, please let me now.]
Metamorfosi (Inferno is probably even better)
Premiata Forneria Marconi (their first three albums just great)

Finnish progressive

Haikara (their 1st album probably the best Finnish prog album, Finnish lyrics)
Wigwam (Finnish classic, esp. the early albums with late Pekka Pohjola on bass, Jukka Gustavson on keybs)
Tasavallan Presidentti (another classic, Jukka Tolonen is one of the world's best guitarists)

Kingston Wall (the best Finnish band from the early 90s)

Neo-progressive, avantgarde, etc.

Circle (ranges from industrial to ambient to psychedelia, one of the best contemporary Finnish bands)
KTU (electric accordeon ? la Kimmo Pohjonen with some former members of King Crimson)
Astra (a new band with only 1 album yet, but great, traditional progressive)
Diagonal (another new band, jazzy, somehow resembles Porcupine Tree in my ears)

pblack
08-14-2009, 11:05 PM
I used to listen to a lot of premiata forneria marconi.... but somewhere along the way i lost the taste for it.

You might like anglagard for prog. lots of flutes and piano along with just great basslines.

Moeba
08-14-2009, 11:20 PM
classical music ftw! :)
You know, Bach and such, those guys from the 17th century. It's really great if you feel the music.

nlgraham
08-15-2009, 12:35 AM
You might like anglagard for prog. lots of flutes and piano along with just great basslines.

You know, Bach and such, those guys from the 17th century. It's really great if you feel the music.

Debussy and Chopin for the win. Lots of flutes and piano. Also, mad props to Prokofiev and Mahler, great angry music, if you're in the mood for it.

pblack
08-17-2009, 01:20 AM
Always liked some of their songs, like Parabola.

You mentioned it and I itched to play that song. It's one of the few that I didn't play already and today i nailed it. freakin cool bassline if you ask me =P

Per_Killer
08-17-2009, 07:14 AM
Well, I'm alot into oldies aswell. Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones etc.

Modern music I listen to, is yeah, ofcourse Tool is awesome. (If you love drums/bass ;D) Queens of the Stone Age has great lyrics and is an awesome blues-metal-band in my opinion.

However, one of the bands I've spent most time listening to must be The Mars Volta. I love that kind of music where at first listen, it sounds like complete chaos and the lyrics are unexplainable etc. But the further you dive into it, the more things you discover along the way ;D All their albums are pretty different, but if you've never heard them I can reccoment acouple of songs: Tetragrammaton, Cygnus Vismund Cygnus, Metatron, and especially Ciatriz ESP :-)

phauli
08-17-2009, 08:56 AM
A bit embarrassed to post this but rap, mostly. :) But i enjoy reggae, funk, some r'nb, jazz, electro, hippie rock (ie. Jimi Hendrix, The Who and the like) and good pop music like Michael Jackson, Duffy and lately Lily Allen ;)

Dorten
08-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Rock, folk, reggae and stuff. Mostly russian, since there's only one radio station which plays it all (Rock mostly), and do not play anything I dislike, and it only plays russian music. (Наше радио if you are Russian as myself)

Had a lot of fun with listening Rammstein a while back, also love classics (Vivaldi and Chopin)

Conundrum
08-17-2009, 11:30 AM
Rock, metal, punk rock, powerpop, alternative, "emo"... (though I don't like that classification, it's how most people recognize a lot of alternative music).

Probably my favorite bands are Rise Against, Three Days Grace, Escape The Fate, Anberlin.

pblack
08-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Well, I'm alot into oldies aswell. Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones etc.

Modern music I listen to, is yeah, ofcourse Tool is awesome. (If you love drums/bass ;D) Queens of the Stone Age has great lyrics and is an awesome blues-metal-band in my opinion.

However, one of the bands I've spent most time listening to must be The Mars Volta. I love that kind of music where at first listen, it sounds like complete chaos and the lyrics are unexplainable etc. But the further you dive into it, the more things you discover along the way ;D All their albums are pretty different, but if you've never heard them I can reccoment acouple of songs: Tetragrammaton, Cygnus Vismund Cygnus, Metatron, and especially Ciatriz ESP :-)

TMV is just awesome. One of my favs as well, just didn't mention it because i thought most already knew it. But they are simply awesome!

A bit embarrassed to post this but rap, mostly. But i enjoy reggae, funk, some r'nb, jazz, electro, hippie rock (ie. Jimi Hendrix, The Who and the like) and good pop music like Michael Jackson, Duffy and lately Lily Allen

No embarassment needed! I'm a MJ and Lily Allen fan as well..=P. There's some good pop music to be found. You just gotta dig a little deeper than britney spears and you'll find it hahaha

Conundrum
08-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Ugh. Lily Allen. Cannot stand her.

Taylor Swift, on the other hand, has some decent songs.

Jack the Ripper
08-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Well, I enjoy rock and some trance/house, as well as bits of electronic music. Quite varied in taste, I seem to be. So here are my favourites: Rammstein, Depeche Mode, Placebo, Iron Maiden, AC-DC, Muse, ATB, Chicane, Garbage, HIM, Marilyn Manson, New Order, Savage Garden, The Bloodhound Gang, Weird Al Yankovic, Linkin Park, New Order, A-ha :)

Rammstein and Depeche Mode are my all-time favourites, the others come in and out of favor :D

phauli
08-18-2009, 08:57 PM
No embarassment needed! I'm a MJ and Lily Allen fan as well..=P. There's some good pop music to be found. You just gotta dig a little deeper than britney spears and you'll find it hahaha

No no no! Not about those, but because it seems (and i already did guess this would be the case) that most of people who play games like ADOM really seem to be into the heavier music, i was talking about my liking of rap/hip hop :D
I don't think i've ever even heard of someone (besides myself) who likes Wu-Tang Clan and likes ASCII or PnP RPG's :) This really is problematic because all my friends regard me as a class 1 super-nerd and i'd really like to try some good PnP but.... :rolleyes:

ZiggyMcjoney
08-22-2009, 12:22 AM
Charles Mingus (best jazz IMO)

Your opinion is correct.

Few favourites of mine:
The Talking Heads - Remain in Light is the best album evar
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeorplane Over the Sea is also the best album evar
The Beach Boys
The Beatles

etcetera.

Portishead are good too, can't say I like Tool though.

For anyone whose got the whole 'I listen to anything' taste, go listen to some Indian Classical music. Beautiful stuff.

grobblewobble
08-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Of the things mentioned so far, I like: Tool, Rammstein, classical music (Ring des Nibelungen is a favourite).

I'm also a big fan of Radiohead and especially Tori Amos, even though after what she's done to her face lately.. ugh, that's a real turndown. :(

Does anyone else here know Boards of Canada?

Epythic
08-29-2009, 06:04 PM
Me likes mostly soundtracks of some films.

Here are a few that I really like, in no particular order:

- Pirates of the Caribbean 1 (the other two suck)
- I am Legend
- The Lord of the Rings
- Spirit - Stallion of the Cimarron (especially the instrumental parts; the texts *are* quite childish, but then that movie *is* for children)
- Gladiator

I also love The Lion King as performed in the Hamburger Hafen. Way better than the Broadway version.

grobblewobble
08-30-2009, 04:35 PM
speaking of Rammstein.. this is just too funny for words.

Das geht ja gut zusammen!

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ich+will+pooh+version

Epythic
08-30-2009, 08:51 PM
speaking of Rammstein.. this is just too funny for words.

Das geht ja gut zusammen!

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ich+will+pooh+version

Oh my god. I always knew something was wrong with Winnie Pooh.

gut
09-24-2009, 04:14 AM
*bump*

Just trying to keep this on the first page : )

fazisi
09-24-2009, 05:29 AM
Does anyone else here know Boards of Canada?
Yes, I have. I think a pre-requisite for this is actually living in Canada though.
________
HOW TO ROLL BLUNTS (http://howtorollablunt.net/)

grobblewobble
09-24-2009, 06:22 AM
Boards of Canada is a band of two brothers making ambient music. Their fame reaches beyond Canada actually. :)

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
09-24-2009, 07:28 AM
I started to like Trend Rezner music.. very rich sound.

pblack
09-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Did you mean Trent Reznor? The NIN guy?

If so... yeah... nince inch nails rules. Early industrial work is awesome but i DO like the latest albums, very innovative.

Danny Lohner, who worked with trent a lot in NIN does some projects woth Maynard, Tool's vocalist, wich are very very interesting.

almack9
09-25-2009, 09:39 PM
Tool is pretty good. Though lately I find myself liking more hardcore music... Amon amarth comes to mind. They have this song called the Hero. Just simply the message and thought of it is what appeals to me.

Its a pretty simple story. There is a mercenary. Who at the end of his fighting days, (Hes dying.) He happens to be fighting to save a town from some "evil" Invaders, and is thus the hero of the story. But during the whole song he talks about how his life wasnt heroic and how his soul is full of death and misery, and that he is in fact the evil one. It makes me wonder how many of our great heroes in time were actually quite evil throughout there life and only had the heroic action that made them famous.

gut
09-26-2009, 01:40 AM
Indeed. History books can really take the wind
out of a fellow's sails.

pblack
10-14-2009, 03:24 AM
Just discovered another amazing post rock band.

Mono, japanese post rock band. The best in the genre imo.

grobblewobble
08-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Check dis out. Ignore the half-naked chick please. Well, or don't ignore her, I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7bKe_Zgk4o

garyd
08-06-2010, 03:19 AM
I'll take the four B's Beethoven, Bach, Brahms, and and the Beatles.

Almost any ballad anda whole lot the old folk tunes are favorites as well.

gut
08-06-2010, 07:40 AM
my favorite part was the half naked chick

fazisi
08-06-2010, 10:43 PM
This song is my theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k456in_fDA&fmt=18

grobblewobble
08-06-2010, 10:59 PM
The Weird Al Yankovitch parody to that song is also too good to miss. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwneqSkwx90&NR=1

gut
08-07-2010, 01:15 AM
you wanna funny song parady

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLd22ha_-VU

gut
08-16-2010, 04:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SlwqDoFVnc

fazisi
08-16-2010, 05:28 AM
ROFL! Never thought I would see the day when some hillbilly from Kentucky would link a music video of Misfits...

gut
08-16-2010, 06:59 AM
it's worse than 'sublime'?

micheal graves heads a conservative political organization

people are complex

Dudley
09-05-2010, 04:25 AM
Just found this thread, as i searched for music, so in addition to posting the music i wanted to highlight to my fellows adomer, let's expose the tastes...
Well, i basically dabbled in everything. Music i most like are : instrumental music, insanities (Robbert Fripp or Colon Nancarrow, as well as weird al, Residents), metal, rock, good rap (ie not the bling bling stuff, but stuff like Eminem, which actually means something and does not solely have a beat.). I've recently found some good computer made music, which is why i posted here in the first place.

Colon Nancarrow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyRCdyNb3Eo)
Residents (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvJiyOPmsJs)
Computer made music, Dimrain47 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEtk281EdkU)

Chris
12-28-2010, 12:49 PM
I usually listen to Progressive House, Electro, Trance, etc... but I listen to many different genres. All but some of the emo music going around and hip-hop. Just not my "thang".

Turns out most of the music I've been listening to recently is Swedish or Nordic. Pryda, Axwell, Röyksopp, Whitest Boy Alive, In Flames.

Saw Dark Tranquillity live recently, those guys sure are something. Their music is just "okay" when listening to on YouTube or Winamp, but their live concerts are something else. So much energy from them and passion from the crowd. Found myself head-banging in no time, even though I'm more of a trance gay :D

gut
12-28-2010, 01:13 PM
> I'm more of a trance gay

too much info

Chris
12-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Oh shit, I meant guy. GUY, I tell you. Freudian slip or something :(

nathrakh
12-28-2010, 04:42 PM
Taste is ever-evolving...

Akantes
03-12-2012, 10:19 AM
*uses necromancy*

Being from Finland, it propably isn't too hard to guess what music I listen to :P

Children of Bodom ( been listening to them before they even published a record! ), Hateform, Devildriver, Lamb of God, Kreator, older Sentenced, Tarot, Gravedigger, Crematory. That sort of stuff :D

But, on the other hand, next to them on the playlist is easily Leonard Cohen, Joe Cocker, Cream, Eric Clapton, CCR, Pink, Anastacia, which are followed by Hocico, Suicide Commando etc.

All the while adding some Wagner and Beethoven to the list.

I enjoy quite a wide range of music :)

Monk
04-12-2012, 07:09 PM
Lots and lots of classical. :)

grobblewobble
12-13-2012, 04:59 PM
This song is in my head all the time when I play a chaos knight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b6RWCLIYT8

Blasphemous
02-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Mostly metal for me, specifically black metal, some melodic/death metal bands as well, such as Emperor, Immortal, Panzerchrist, Anaal Nathrakh, Abigail Williams, Dimmu Borgir, Wintersun, Meshuggah, Kalmah, Septic Flesh, Opeth, My Dying Bride...

When I want to relax however, I listen to ambient and old style electronic music: Anything from Michael Stearns, but mostly his Planetary Unfolding. Also Jean Michel Jarre since childhood and other similar artists - Brian Eno, Klaus Schulze, Peter Gabriel, Steve Roach, Ron Sunsinger, Arcana, Aphex Twin's ambient experiments.

Recently also Chillout/DnB music - many, many different artists.

tootboot
02-18-2013, 10:20 PM
I think I've outgrown music, though I'm not sure how that's possible. I hate everything on the radio, and when I buy music I do like, I'm completely bored of it after a week or two.

GordonOverkill
05-03-2013, 09:08 AM
I listen to all kinds of good music but mainly Heavy Metal and Hard Rock in all it's different shapes. I love to dig the underground for those underrated or forgotten bands of highest quality like those guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRqy8qERjTg