PDA

View Full Version : stuck on the Eternal Guardian

reich
03-31-2008, 09:27 PM
Hi,

I reached the stairs guarded by this guy... or guys ;) with my lev 19 Dwarven fighter. I can't get to the Ring of the High Kings - no means of freezing water or building a bridge.

I have the damned mana battery corruption, so I can only use wands once. I tried to teleport myself on the staircase, but the goddamn wand of teleportation wouldn't give me the final charge just then and the wand was wasted.

Do you happen to have any ideas how to get around this? I have a ring of djinni sumonning - a wish avaible. I could maybe wish for a spellbook of Frost Bolt - not sure if it's possible to wish for specific spellbooks and if I am able to learn the spell anyway.

Starhawk
03-31-2008, 10:24 PM
Maybe wish for a manual of bridge building instead?

Siriah
03-31-2008, 10:56 PM
Teleportation doesn't work in the Tomb of the High Kings. Yes, it's possible to wish for specific spellbooks as long as they're not spellbooks of wish, but fighters aren't very good with spells so they might burst in flames before giving you any castings.

If you have a means to see invisible with you, you can lure an Ogre Magus down to the piranha lake and have it freeze a bridge for you, but you'll need to wait around in the cavernous levels for a while until one gets generated.

Do you have no wands of cold, or just one drained one? You can wish for scrolls of corruption removal, remove mana battery, recharge the wand and use it. Removing mana battery is a good idea anyway because as a fighter, wands can really save your life.

reich
04-01-2008, 10:32 PM
So the character is dead ;(

I actually wished for a spellbook of nether bolt, learned the spell (with Learning score 19 so no problem) and obtained the ring.

But on my way back down I got surrounded by eternal guardians I spawned earlier, when trying force entry. Such a promising character wasted :mad: I'll never mess with Eternal guardians again!

A side note: do you freeze the whole south side of piranha pool in case the skeletal king confuses you? I do this since I lost another great char that way. If I don't have a ring of clear mind of course.

gut
04-02-2008, 03:22 AM
If the skeletal king confuses you, don't keep pressing
direction keys. that will get you killed. Instead, use
a command like clean 'E'ars. That will keep you from
becoming fish food.

reich
04-02-2008, 03:11 PM
If the skeletal king confuses you, don't keep pressing
direction keys. that will get you killed. Instead, use
a command like clean 'E'ars. That will keep you from
becoming fish food.

That's a good idea! A command that takes a turn in game time without making the PC move in a andom direction. Thanks, never thought of this myself

kapsi
06-04-2008, 02:28 PM
You can also lure an ice vortex if you're fast enough. Or scum for the wand/book in living forest if you haven't killed the banshee.

Molach
06-04-2008, 02:54 PM
I once lured an Ogre magus down there. He filled the moat up with ice (eventually). Luckily the above level has high regen rate...

grobblewobble
04-27-2010, 10:04 PM
You can also lure an ice vortex if you're fast enough.

I'm trying to get this to work, but they keep exploding as soon as I descend the stairs.
I have 7LB and running bonus (barbarian), so speed should not be the problem. Is there
a trick I don't know about?

warheart
04-27-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm trying to get this to work, but they keep exploding as soon as I descend the stairs.
I have 7LB and running bonus (barbarian), so speed should not be the problem. Is there
a trick I don't know about?

Never tried with vortices, but have you tried casting darkness on the last level? If it can't see you, it won't explode, I suppose :P

Al-Khwarizmi
04-28-2010, 09:17 AM
Never tried with vortices, but have you tried casting darkness on the last level? If it can't see you, it won't explode, I suppose :P

Cast darkness on stairs, go up, wait for vortex, lure it to stairs, go down, take one or two steps, cast light... seems like it should work (never tried it though).

vogonpoet
04-28-2010, 02:17 PM
Ogre Magi are definitely simpler though, and freezing the whole lake with one is entertaining... I think I have used OMs three times altogether in the past to get the ring, compared to the one time I built a bridge.