PDA

View Full Version : Savegame Cheating Doom Effect

zeteginara
08-19-2009, 07:09 PM
In the Improved Guidebook, it lists under the luck effects:

savegame cheating -1d200

Anyone know how it checks this? I'm not a save scummer myself, but I like to transfer characters as I use different computers.

Silfir
08-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Transfering characters should be okay. It's tampering with the savegames itself that can trigger it, as far as I'm aware.

Jack the Ripper
08-19-2009, 09:19 PM
Yeah, Silfir's got it right. You can copy and move the svg wherever you want, how many times you want. It's altering with in a way that the game detects (dunno the specifics) that triggers that effect. You'll get some sort of 'YOU ARE DOOMED TO A HORRIBLE FATE' message, more or less, so you'll know when your time has come :)

JellySlayer
08-19-2009, 09:41 PM
I'd be interested to see if there is any way to consistently generate this effect--might make an interesting challenge game.

Grey
08-19-2009, 10:51 PM
I seem to remember hearing that just modifying the save file name can cause it. Otherwise I'm sure it'd be possible to just modify the save file slightly in a hex editor to consistently produce the effect.

However as a challenge game it would be extreme - rats end up with dozens of attacks and hundreds of hit points. Your equipment randomly gets destroyed for no reason. All sorts of bad stuff lead to a very very quick demise. A more interesting challenge would not be to win but to see how far you can get (in the ID say).

Andy Williams
08-19-2009, 11:12 PM
It's a checksum comparison, isn't it? Any modification of the savefile will cause the negative consequences.

Grey
08-19-2009, 11:27 PM
The trick, I imagine, would be to make a modifcation that doesn't also crash the game.

As far as I know ADOMBot modifies the game and avoids the checksum problems by changing other little things to compensate. Do it too much and the game will become too corrupted and keep crashing.

Zeno
08-20-2009, 10:58 PM
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.adom/msg/2c3173b3b068da77?dmode=source