PDA

View Full Version : Strategies for precrowning, postcrowning.

Starhawk
03-31-2008, 09:31 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how to get precrowned and postcrowned.

I've read the guidebook requirements on pre and post crowning and SPOILERS FOLLOW.

So generating a lot of artifacts spoils pre and postcrowning (due to level requirement). What level do you usually precrown at? How do you have the wealth, etc to pile up the needed piety? Do you farm herbs and sac/sell them all? Do you farm the ID or cavern levels for equipment to sell? Do you find an altar, sit next to it and sacrifice every monster that walks by for days? I can't figure it out.

And postcrowning -- again I am running into the level issue... with 10-12 artifacts generated, you need to be level 40+ for a postcrowning. Am I wrong here? And beyond a certain number of artifacts you are just plain out of luck... Do you guys tend to farm piety early for a couple of postcrowns?

reich
04-01-2008, 09:56 AM
I think pre-crowning usually happens to me near level 8-10. Same for crowning, I think it's easiest to achieve near the begining of the game.

Do you find an altar, sit next to it and sacrifice every monster that walks by for days?

That's exactly how it's done. It can be quite easy if you get an altar on a level with high monster generation rate or a tension room/vault.

IMO any extreme 'farming' tactics isn't necessary.

gut
04-01-2008, 10:09 AM
Pre-crowning is booooring, to me at least. The
only reason to consider it, that I can see, is
if you don't think you have a chance of winning
without it. After what can be hours of effort,
you may wind up with a lousy artifact anyway.
There's nothing quite like getting the corrupting
tome as a pre-crowning gift.

Perhaps you just want to try it, for the sake of
trying it though. Who knows, you may get the
Bracers of War or Preserver. Anyway, just avoid
places that generate artifacts. Yes, that slows
the game down horribly. If you go deeper than the
big room of the CoC, you will generate the Si. If
you pop into the gremlin cave, you get the Phial.
You have to get your exp. levels elsewhere, maybe
the ID or PC:5.

The best chance for a pre-crown, without being
bored stupid, is to generate an alter on PC:5.
The monster generation rate is high, and the
danger level is low enough, that you can survive
pretty easily. It's kind of rare for that to
happen though, you will probably have to make due
with a much lower monster generation rate. As you
are saccing your 57th monster, try to recall the
more pleasant moments in life.

There are other methods of course, like dragon
gold doubling, harvest stomafillia, stair hop on
ID levels 8 and 9, collecting your gold 250 pieces
at a time. You can generate the Si, and wait for it
to reproduce a zillion times, that should generate
plenty of cash. You are still left with the boredom
problem either way though.

Mad Minstrel
04-01-2008, 03:28 PM
The best chance for a pre-crown, without being
bored stupid, is to generate an alter on PC:5.
The monster generation rate is high, and the
danger level is low enough, that you can survive
pretty easily.

I wouldn't recommend trying to precrown on PC:5, unless the altar is very close to the stairs or you have invisibility and teleportation (which rarely is the case at this stage of the game). In practice sooner or later (usually sooner) summoners and breeders appear and you end up surrounded by spiders and jellies. Add to this nasty monsters you can't sacrifice (vortices, undeads etc) and it's a simple way to kill a promising character.

riktikticheck
04-01-2008, 05:43 PM
well personally i just precrown if i find a fitting altar early on and if it feels easy enough, most of the time i just skip it, but a reacent beastfighter happened to get 2 precrovnings as he had the altar in pc5 and could fight the summoner types easily enough.

so usually not wort striving for, but if the chanse presents it self why not take it, if the artifact is useless sell it to the dwarven shop for some cash to sacrifice ;)

Macros
04-01-2008, 05:57 PM
What level do you usually precrown at? How do you have the wealth, etc to pile up the needed piety? Do you farm herbs and sac/sell them all?

Usually I'm precrowning as soon as I can(and I avoid generating any guaranted artifacts, like si or ankh/ancient mummy wrapping). Best way to to make precrowning is to find 2x2 herb bush with stomafilia(or even two such bushes, it makes it faster and easier), harvest about 80 stomafilia(herbalism required here, also best results are with blessed stomafilia), and sacrifice it. Second precrowning require much more stomafilia(around 200), but it's still worth doing it.

Sometimes if I can't find any herbs(or pacify the big room) I'm doing precrowning on monsters, but it's slighty slower than precrowning with herbs, and more annoying(even if you're lawful, you can't sacrifice everything).

reich
04-01-2008, 09:25 PM
:eek: and god loves you for this?;)
I never knew herbs are such valuable sacrifices. This works only with stomafilla or can you just use those useless burb roots?

Chris
04-02-2008, 10:37 AM
I'm not sure if it works with burb roots, but morgia roots are also accepted. There's nothing like the blessed stomafilias, though.

Macros
04-02-2008, 10:38 AM
You can sacrifice other herbs(but not all, god won't accept stomacempia for example), but it's not as effective as stomafilia. So if you're going to precrown/crown, then only on stomafilia.

Luli
04-02-2008, 05:31 PM
I have a doubt related to this topic: If the char is pre-crowned can he became a fallen champion?

Kato
04-02-2008, 05:50 PM
My current character managed my first pre-crown. Then I was crowned by Correllius. Then I goofed...and had to kill a bunch of blink dogs. ahaha. I am now fallen. Trying to see if I can get crowned again to the neutral god this time though. I was told elsewhere that I couldn't though :( Not going to stop me trying. ehehehe

Macros
04-02-2008, 06:22 PM
If the char is pre-crowned can he became a fallen champion?

No, you can change aligment after precrowning without any penalties/punishment from god.

Luli
04-02-2008, 07:10 PM
No, you can change aligment after precrowning without any penalties/punishment from god.
Thanks! I'd been wondering for some time now if pre-crowning was a possibility for special/ultra endings, since "crowning" must be done somewhat late in the game in these cases.

kapsi
06-04-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm not sure if it works with burb roots, but morgia roots are also accepted. There's nothing like the blessed stomafilias, though.
I think uncursed stomafilias give you almost the same piety boost as blessed ones so it's worthwhile to use a scroll of uncursing if you have lots of cursed stomafilias. Curse curse curse.

Molach
06-04-2008, 01:49 PM
I usually get to the arena level very early in the game. Buy a lot off ratling food. First altar I find, I try to use for a precrowning. Not THAT boring. It's the second that is such a major PITA, but for my second I'd want stomofillia. Two patches on a level.

Before (when I was a ...not "worse", but "less awesome" sounds better) I always used to go for 2. Because I could. I mean, you are guaranteed an altar by the dwarves, and even if you generate the SI you can still get to level 14 and get the second. And there is the big room on the way there (nice way to get level 14 btw). So I would simply do it. Because I could. It would most likely help my game. So I did it.

Nowadays I make do with what I find on the road, get ONE precrown if things work out, otherwise I just get on with it.

But if you've never won, or gotten very far, a precrown can really be a BIG help. A great weapon or one of the good armor-pieces will work wonders. Just don't get cocky. And smith as well, that is not hard either...

foxfire29
12-09-2009, 07:48 AM
Hi, sorry if this thread is old, its just Im going for precrowning, I still need to do the pyramids, Im level 13 and I plan to say out of CoC and the pyramids until precrowned.

I am a lawful grey elf wizard and I have generated cors altar on the carpenters dungeon maybe 3 lvls below the healer, I have sacced a few monsters and currently it says you feel inner peace when I sac stuff, so how much more saccing do I need to do?

Also I didnt know about herbs, my herbs skill is maybe 50 or 60 so do I just go into wilderness world map, press 'a' then the herbalism letter?

Im not sure if Im doing the religion right but I have sacced some not so useful spellbooks, also any chaotic enchanted weapons go on the altar but rings he seems to love and very occasionally he likes a minority of scrolls

I am glad I read about the generating of artifacts as lets see Ive been to

: Unremarkable dungeon and hidden town
: Puppy Cave
:Carpenters Cave
:ID

Dudley
12-09-2009, 08:43 AM
If you happen to have a wand of door creation, and didn't do anything stupid (ie kill hotzenplotz) in the bandit town, then pay merchants ≈50-60 gp, chat, till they give you a potion of booze, you need ≈4 blessed potions of booze. Go to Coc, go to one of the corners, block the big room (the way to do that is in the guidebook)
Farm stomafillia there ad nauseam, and sacrifice to god. If you manage to not be bored before ≈300 stomafillia herbs, you can sacrfice all of them, pray, sacrifice one gold piece, pray again. Be warned that that enormous sacrifice would make you L+. Go kill a wimpy peaceful monster (remember the bandit town? You don't need booze any more ;p) And then pray.

foxfire29
12-09-2009, 09:10 AM
I shall try that dudley, only problem is, I killed Hotzenplotz but not until I moved skriek the rattling to the start town, also why is going from L to L+ a poblem?

Dudley
12-09-2009, 09:27 AM
because post crowning is harder than pre-.

foxfire29
12-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Okay Dudley, thanks for your help

I understand now

* precrowning occurs only if the PC is not of extreme alignment (not L+, N= or C-)

:D

Dudley
12-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Remember th thing : sacrifice THEN kill wimpy ppeaceful monster THEN pray. Order (and you're going to become an avatar of order soon... what a joke.
BTW just remembered L+ can't be gotten by altars
My habit of playing with neutrals...

Sadface
12-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Also, you'll want to be giving those 50g bits to beggars, not
merchants ;)

JellySlayer
12-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Hurthlings are particularly good for getting precrowns. Their dieties are very fond of cooked food, and, importantly, the corpses of cooked, summoned monsters are acceptable gifts (alignment provided). In other words, you can get 30+ corpses from a spider factory, cook them all, and sacrifice them to lawful/chaotic diety.

Otherwise... herbs or gold are the only way to go. Never do it by monster sacrificing; total waste of time.

foxfire29
12-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Okay , also I have been sacraficing amulets and stuff, in hindsight that seems silly, I think Im going to head to CoC now and look for herbs

Really kick the child? [y/N]

hehe nice ^^

JellySlayer
12-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Okay , also I have been sacraficing amulets and stuff, in hindsight that seems silly, I think Im going to head to CoC now and look for herbs

hehe nice ^^

It is almost always better to sell items and sacrifice the gold instead, unless you're playing a dark elf or orc and don't have any friendly shopkeepers generated.

warheart
12-09-2009, 09:43 PM
I only precrown if I find stable stomas and an early altar. It's nice if you are going for an ultra, so you have easy ratling fodder. Otherwise, the precrowns aren't usually that useful. For example, not long ago I got 2 precrowns because I found 3 stable stoma patches with 100 herbalism very soon, so gathering 300 stomas was really easy. But the artifacts where both useless (hammer of the gods and whirlwind), so it wasn't worth the time lost. In my current game I've been lucky, precrowned with executor, but that's not very common.

fazisi
12-12-2009, 07:37 PM
I believe I got precrowned in my druid Let's Play which should provide ample description of the process. Personally, I feel it is more effort than needed but if it is a weak character or I simply have the resources to, I will shoot for at least one precrown.

Jack the Ripper
12-14-2009, 12:27 AM
You can also dig out a big part of the room and then use a single door to lock in a breeder, thus pacifying the room. Only useful if you've got a herb patch that can (be eventually moved so as to) produce stomafilia. It's the nutritional value that counts for herbs when saccing them, IIRC. I personally recommend doing a precrown in the early game locations if you have a well-generated altar: non-chaotic PC:2 altar (though you can easily turn it to C by saccing 2 neutral ants and then turning yourself C by saccing few gp on it but beware of chaotics who can sac you in return) or on a level with a sac-able monsters tension room/vault etc.

Otherwise I recommend going to Dwarftown because once there you can easily get to Level 14 using just pre-DT monsters (Big Room). The shop is there so you can simultaneously sell equipment for gold, kill monsters for corpses if a hurthling, farm herbs in Big Room while killing monsters, double your gold when dragons come along. IF no other artifact has been generated apart from the si (Keethrax is still alive or you've chosen Rynt's quest) then you can get 2 precrowns before the Pyramid.

I never pre-crown post-pyramid because I generate both the AMW and the ankh and then the Sword of Nonnak and the Elemental Gauntlets, since I always do the Pyramid and Griffyard in the same wilderness-run. I also wait to get AMW before crowning so as not to get =Cold, perhaps hunt for giant slug corpses ( on Keethrax level by having Food Preservation, hopefully, and using some arrows or weapon of hunting to finish them off) so as to have =Acid as well, which would mean getting either =Fire (perfect for ToEF) or =Lightning (good for Blue Dragon Caves)

Twinge
12-14-2009, 01:34 AM
I never pre-crown post-pyramid because I generate both the AMW and the ankh and then the Sword of Nonnak and the Elemental Gauntlets, since I always do the Pyramid and Griffyard in the same wilderness-run.

If you massively build up piety beforehand, you can enter the pyramid and gain level 17 in the pyramid to snag one more precrown.

perhaps hunt for giant slug corpses ( on Keethrax level by having Food Preservation, hopefully, and using some arrows or weapon of hunting to finish them off)

I hope you like cats! You'll have to deal with 101 cats, on average, before getting your acid immunity. This figure assumed food preservation 90+, though it doesn't count hunting weapons. The effect of hunting weapons is extremely tiny and awful IIRC, though I think arrows have a decent bonus - especially against animals. You might only have to deal with like 75 cats with hunting arrows used against all slugs :P

Jack the Ripper
12-14-2009, 11:19 AM
I hope you like cats! You'll have to deal with 101 cats, on average, before getting your acid immunity. This figure assumed food preservation 90+, though it doesn't count hunting weapons. The effect of hunting weapons is extremely tiny and awful IIRC, though I think arrows have a decent bonus - especially against animals. You might only have to deal with like 75 cats with hunting arrows used against all slugs :P

I'm not THAT desperate to get the RotMC, and seem to have more cat-luck on that particular level. Usually I see less than 5 cats on the Keethrax level. And I'm not really THAT hell-bent on not getting =Acid for the crowning, though that can't be said for not getting =Cold. Since there's a guaranteed artifact that grants =Cold, it really is easily avoidable. I also seem to remember giant slug corpses dropping rather more often than you say, but that's subjective on my part (and perhaps on your as well ;) ) . Speaking of loving cats, I'm a huge cat-lover in real life, but tend to smash them to bits in ADOM if they become annoying in the early/mid-game :o .

Twinge
12-14-2009, 11:29 AM
Giant Slugs have a 1% drop rate. Even with maxed Food Preservation you're looking at a 2.97% chance per kill. (I'd have to refind my old notes though, it's possible my numbers above did not account for food preservation.) The issue with cats is that there are 3 seperate possible spawns for cats in DD7 - so 1/10 of the mobs you see will be either Cave Lion, Cave Tiger, or Wild Cat. Even if you don't care about the ring, it can be dangerous to buff the lord by that much.

meh
12-14-2009, 11:30 AM
I've gotten the slug corpse a couple of times while dealing with cats using alarm traps. It's tedious, but certainly doable.

Jack the Ripper
12-14-2009, 11:37 AM
Oh, that's very exact, thanks :D . As meh said, by this point in the game (level 15-20) you tend to be buff enough to simply allow the darn cat to keep hitting you. Eventually you'll meet a slug who'll breathe acid, thus dissolving both you and the kitty. Alternatively, you can use alarm traps or potions of exchange or stuff like that. I don't see that many cats on D:7, or at least I am under the impression that there's less of them. Usually more than 5 kitties there is a lot, in my experience.

Al-Khwarizmi
12-14-2009, 12:20 PM
I'm with Twinge in this, if while you go to kill the druid you are lucky and a giant slug leaves a corpse it's fine. But I wouldn't stay too much time on that level, I don't like being around cats too much. In fact most of the times I do Rynt's quest for this very reason.

tuomas22
12-21-2009, 02:02 PM
i still dont understand...

pre what? and post what?

I am level 19 (and I have 18 artifacts generated, someone mentioned that affects something too?), I just got absolutely close to my deity and made a prayer. I got crowned ("holy champion of order") and got vanquisher. Was this pre or post crown?

nathrakh
12-21-2009, 02:15 PM
i still dont understand...

pre what? and post what?

I am level 19 (and I have 18 artifacts generated, someone mentioned that affects something too?), I just got absolutely close to my deity and made a prayer. I got crowned ("holy champion of order") and got vanquisher. Was this pre or post crown?

That was an normal crowning. Are you barbarian? Vanquisher is maybe the best weapon of the game despite being 2h.

tuomas22
12-21-2009, 02:28 PM
Oh, so there's also normal crowning...:)
Are pre and post crownings important, or are they just for getting artifacts?

Yes im barbarian. Is vanquisher better than skullcrusher+purifier?

fazisi
12-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Yes, Vanquisher is the best barbarian weapon in game imho. Just walk around one-hitting everything you see and when you come up to a boss, disable if you want then just use tremendous blow and watch as he turns to pudding.

Pre- and post-crowning just reward a random artifact. With 18 artifacts generated already, you're not going to get any this way though. The limitations for getting a pre- or post-crowning are listed in the guidebook but the rule I will mention is "PC level must be 8+(3*artifacts generated)", in your case 8+(3*18) = 62.

tuomas22
12-21-2009, 03:31 PM
ok thanks!

Dudley
12-22-2009, 01:36 AM
Oh, vanquisher brins back goood memory.

Spoily stuff under...

Basicly, vanquisher has x2 damage against everything that matters (save greater& killer bugs, but imo they don't get generated elsewhere than somewhere special). So the damage you see is aproximately doubled.

Along with the crowning gift, you get an immunity. and the blessed status. since you're having a lot of artifactts (i pray thee, tell me their name) you needed that not to starve.

zasvid
12-22-2009, 09:24 AM
(save greater& killer bugs, but imo they don't get generated elsewhere than somewhere special)

yes they do. My winners usually encounter 1 randomly generated greater bug. I don't think I've ever seen a randomly generated killer bug, but they can get summoned by random monster summoners.

Twinge
12-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Naturally, Greater Claw Bugs are a bit rarer than a Gorgon. Killer Bugs are a bit rarer than a Ki-rin(!!).