PDA

View Full Version : Reading Spellbooks

Baranor
04-02-2008, 12:23 AM
Having played a for a long time, I thought I had seen most of the basic stuff, but this has me stumped. I am a gnomish mindcrafter. My Concentration is at 100. My Literacy is at 100. My Learning is at 20. My mana is also around 20. I attempt to read a blessed spellbook of light and go blind, confused and then the book explodes. This is one of the simplest spells! I always knew that spellbooks were harder for not spellcasters, but I didn't think that it was basically impossible. Am I missing something that I need to increase the odds in my favor?

No, I wasn't cursed or doomed.

spectre
04-02-2008, 12:28 AM
That's what you get when you play mindcrafter. You are basically stuck with your powers, and their drawbacks.
I assume it's for balance, you get a horseload of mana, have all the right skills for magery, but TB forces you to play along your class.

There are rumors that extremely high level Mindcrafters actually managed to learn Light and Darkness, however you don't need that a lot at level 40.

Grey
04-02-2008, 12:35 AM
With potions of wonder you can even make a Mindcrafter archmage with a lot of effort (has been done before). Potions and wands of wonder should at least allow you to book-cast certain spells - especially handy for the likes of Teleport.

Sradac
04-02-2008, 12:55 AM
yeah mindcrafters really cant learn spells from spellbooks. Found that out the hard way with my first mindcrafter. picked draconian so i would have acid spit, nice damage from a range for low levels and always something to fall back on when i run out of power. Had a cursed spellbook of fireball blow up in my face, stun me, then had a ghoul waltz over and keep me perma stunned while a giant rat ate me =(