PDA

View Full Version : The initial quest

reich
04-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Don't you think it would be nice if every new JADE PC had an initial quest assigned upon starting the game? It could be linked to the character biography and explain why this person decided to become an adventurer anyway. For example:

- a barbarian may be out for vengeance on the killers of his tribe
- a person may want to fulfill the last will of a late parent
- the PC might have received a mysterious letter of invitation
etc.

This way the PC would have a goal to acomplish without much aimless wandering in the begining. Also, the rewards of the quest could give the character a running start for later challanges. If undesired by the player, the quest is just ignored.

Nezur
04-02-2008, 04:05 PM
A time ago Thomas stated that the PC doesn't necessarily have to be an adventurer. ;) Anyhow that's a good idea.

reich
04-02-2008, 09:02 PM
A time ago Thomas stated that the PC doesn't necessarily have to be an adventurer. ;)

Get real ;) For how long will you plow a field or sell cabbage pretending you're just common folk, before geting bored?
JADE will be still a bloody hack'n'slash!:D

Epythic
04-05-2008, 11:53 AM
plow a field or sell cabbage pretending you're just common folk, before geting bored?

Thats what some weird people call "roleplaying".

I agree on that its stupid (especially with background corruption :D)

theotherhiveking
04-05-2008, 12:47 PM
why not?

anyway it should not be class Dependant, a farmer can get his giant evil potato smashed like the wizard that made a evil huge potato through magic

Epythic
04-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Because it takes soo much time and is sooooo boring.

Whenever I want an "ordinary" life I usually turn off the computer.

reich
04-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Because it takes soo much time and is sooooo boring.

Whenever I want an "ordinary" life I usually turn off the computer.

have a daily life ;)

Dougy
04-05-2008, 11:26 PM
I believe it's just meant to be theoretically possible to become a shopkeeper, nobody is forced to do it, depends how interesting it is made, I guess.

Epythic
04-12-2008, 01:42 PM
I believe it's just meant to be theoretically possible to become a shopkeeper, nobody is forced to do it, depends how interesting it is made, I guess.

As long as you don't run out of thieves...

theotherhiveking
04-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Or maybe you could just buy the shop, then a shopkeeper will appear, go to the adventure, return 3 months later, take the benefits from the shop...

Worst Player... ever
04-12-2008, 06:06 PM
There's good alternatives to being an adventurer that don't involve shovelling virtual manure.

If you become wealthy and influential (by whatever path) you can still control a lot of goings on by hiring other people to do dirty work for you. It could almost become an empire-building game. It's probably fair to say that a wealthy person without any talent as a fighter or wizard can have more of an impact on a world through their influence, money, and reputation than a front-line adventurer can.

Whether JADE can incorporate any of that remains to be seen, but there's lots of strategic type games which work just fine without you personally having to bash heads.

Sradac
04-12-2008, 11:04 PM
im pretty sure someplace on the old JADE website TB said he wants to some time put in the ability to have players own land, such as having a keep of your own and hiring guards, cooks, medics, fieldhands, etc and even having to defend it now and them from a raid such as by orcs wanting your phat loot. pretty sure he also said you WILL be able to own a shop.

Ars
04-13-2008, 11:39 AM
One thing that shouldn't be possible is that you can buy some land or a shop, and then gain a steady flow of money coming from it while doing nothing. So an elf can't just wait for a hundred years sitting on his ass, then going to the clerk of his own shop and claim the profit for that time, and then go buy the best gear available, or maybe every other shop in the town too.

Epythic
04-14-2008, 04:40 PM
One thing that shouldn't be possible is that you can buy some land or a shop, and then gain a steady flow of money coming from it while doing nothing. So an elf can't just wait for a hundred years sitting on his ass, then going to the clerk of his own shop and claim the profit for that time, and then go buy the best gear available, or maybe every other shop in the town too.

If you are willing to wait... a few hundred years?

Manu
04-14-2008, 06:11 PM
This is a cool idea, in my opinion. It might make the difference between constantly killing off my character because I'd prefer for them to start with better stats and playing a true crutch of a PC because I'd still like to see what their particular quest accounts to.