PDA

View Full Version : First Killed Monster

Sian
04-02-2008, 06:48 PM
which Monster do you usually try to kill as the first one?

for me i try to lure either a child or a goodwife out of Terinyo and attack them outside the city

Macros
04-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Usually I'm trying to hunt down beggar or mugger in Lawenithal. Also assassins and bandits/outlaws are good targets for first kill, if you want to do both old barbarian quest and attempt on ultra ending.

Nezur
04-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Usually I'm trying to hunt down beggar or mugger in Lawenithal. Also assassins and bandits/outlaws are good targets for first kill, if you want to do both old barbarian quest and attempt on ultra ending.

Also Giant Frogs are surprisingly rare in dungeons and they are easily found if you wanted to kill more of them.

Macros
04-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Yes, but hunting frogs on swamps usually takes more time, and you're risking encounter with undead group or swamp hydra.

Kato
04-02-2008, 07:53 PM
I guess I'm weird. I try for a goblin or kobold of some sort. I tend to not even remember what my first kill is :D

Nezur
04-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Yes, but hunting frogs on swamps usually takes more time, and you're risking encounter with undead group or swamp hydra.

True, that's why I moved on to the ones you mentioned. However if you hunt frogs in the beginning you don't lose much should the PC die. ;)

reich
04-02-2008, 09:06 PM
I always get a raider lord first :cool:

NMBLNG
04-03-2008, 12:19 AM
I go for gremlins if I can.

coppro
04-03-2008, 04:06 AM
I go for gremlins if I can.You mean you don't get the phial each game?[/sarcasm]

Siriah
04-03-2008, 09:19 AM
I just kill something in the first dungeon I enter, preferably something that remains easy to find later on, like a hobgoblin. I don't care about ultra endings as I haven't even closed the gate yet.

Elone
04-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Giant frog. I go for no less. By the way, did you know that if you accidentally miss Filk's level, you cant ever find him again even if you go back? I once went to level 400, thinking that I will get a level message when I get into his room; I forgot what I killed first, and... Well, the character was a really good one, it's just that it was still 0.9.9, and it got abandonned. I am still very conservative about what I kill first.

Dorten
04-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Don't care. Since I would never go for an ultra ending (too much hussle for a little me)

Chris
04-03-2008, 12:23 PM
I usually killed the first monster I saw, but lately I've been atempting an ultra so I kill the first creature I see in Lawinthehole.

Ravastine
12-01-2010, 05:34 AM
Do beggars and goodwives respawn?

My first kill in many games was a rat. How little did I know...

Theym
12-01-2010, 07:23 AM
Beggars, yes, and only in holeinthewall. Goodwives, I dont think so.

ChaosMuffin
12-01-2010, 08:04 AM
i used to do giant frogs, but now usually a mugger/cutpurse.
current character went to smc first and got stuck between two rats..
he's lvl 12 and has killed around 200 of them so far..

Molach
12-01-2010, 08:04 AM
I kill whatevers, and just make sure I store it in monster memory ('&').
If I can I try to avoid rat or skeleton. But any goblin or orc is fine, you can still get an Ultra.

Theym
12-01-2010, 08:43 AM
You can make notes in the memory?

Silfir
12-01-2010, 10:31 AM
After a fashion. The monster memory prompt remembers the last thing you entered, so you can simply enter your first kill after you did it. If you want to actually use the monster memory prompt later, you can just re-enter your first kill afterwards.

It's simply a method for everyone who is too lazy to keep a pen and notes around. Like me.

Theym
12-01-2010, 11:17 AM
Oh ok, :)

MrNiceguy
12-02-2010, 03:37 AM
I try to play every game as a potential ultra, so I try to make it something fairly rare. If I'm playing a caster, I skip the courage quest and kill a mugger (prefered) or cutpurse. Muggers are only found in banditville and sometimes a couple in the assassin's cave. Cutpurses are found in dungeons, but are fairly rare. Finding Filk on ID1 is pretty cool.

If I'm playing something I'll want Courage with, I try for an Outlaw, with Bandit as a distant second. Bandits seem more common in the dungeons, and I usually can find Outlaws quicker in the wilderness.

I used to try for Giant Frogs with everyone except Druids. Giant Frogs are bad for Druids because they are almost always non-hostile, and, if you take the courage quest, then by the time you've killed 20, you're too chaotic for the Barbarian to give you the time of day. Your only other option is to either spend a *lot* of time in DD7 where all animals are hostile, or hope for a tension room. For Druids, I would usually make a Barbarian the first kill. They're common as heck in the wilderness, but fairly rare in dungeons. By the time you've dove your first dungeon, you'll probably have reached level 6 and can automatically avoid all barbarian wilderness encounters. The only downside is you can't milk barbarian encounters for arrows, but that's not usually much of an issue for Druids anyway.

I stopped going Frogs for first kill for a couple of reasons. First, Frog encounters are a lot less common than Undead encounters, and unless you're playing Raven starsign or Heir Bard, you can't always get away. Second, walking around in the wilderness that much uses up a lot of early-game time. I like being able to make an attempt at the puppy cave. I leave the dog in the barbarian's glade until I need a huge allignment boost.

Molach
12-02-2010, 09:35 AM
About killing non-hostiles, blasting them with spells or shooting arrows past them are fair ways to kill without getting align drop.

You: "Ill just practise my missile skill a bit and aim at that patch of grass there." *THWANG* *THUD* "Oh sorry mr. Frog, didn't see you standing there next to me in the way of my arrow practise."
Frog: "Croak! I'll get you for that you &%?#%"
Alignment God: "That was a total accident, man. I mean how could he have known that the Frog would stumble into the path of that arrow? I'll let it pass" *Goes to smoke some more HERBS*

Turns out the frog is the only sensible one.

gut
12-02-2010, 10:52 AM
> Turns out the frog is the only sensible one.

I got a good laugh out of that^