PDA

View Full Version : jelly vault

grobblewobble
09-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Another promising character (hurthling healer) got himself killed in the CoC. It was a jelly vault composed of green slime and gelatinous cubes. The gelatinous cubes really got on my nerves. Attacking them in melee causes paralyzation, but I had little choice because I ran out of ammo soon (and it got dissolved, too). One moment of utter horror when I saw this message:

"The gelatinous cube dissolves the ordinary ring." Aaargh!

But then I ran into the boss jelly (some kind of yellow slime). It had poison attack and crazy regeneration, and I was too slow to run away once I realized I couldn't win the fight. Maybe I should have avoided the vault, but I think the path to the stairs down was behind it.

zeteginara
09-04-2009, 09:38 PM
If it's any consolation, Ordinary Rings aren't guaranteed to be Rings of Djinni Summoning. In fact, I've seen them as something else more often than not, but that's just my personal experience.

Harwin
09-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Another promising character (hurthling healer) got himself killed in the CoC. It was a jelly vault composed of green slime and gelatinous cubes. The gelatinous cubes really got on my nerves. Attacking them in melee causes paralyzation, but I had little choice because I ran out of ammo soon (and it got dissolved, too). One moment of utter horror when I saw this message:

"The gelatinous cube dissolves the ordinary ring." Aaargh!

But then I ran into the boss jelly (some kind of yellow slime). It had poison attack and crazy regeneration, and I was too slow to run away once I realized I couldn't win the fight. Maybe I should have avoided the vault, but I think the path to the stairs down was behind it.

Lesser vaults are always in a corner. The stairs are never behind them, AFAIK. It feels like (I'm not 100% sure) that the dungeon generator guarantees room connectivity around the vault.

Silfir
09-04-2009, 11:55 PM
If the jelly vault was located anywhere with a danger level below 8 (i. e. on D:1-7, maybe yours was on the non-shortcut level?), it most definitely wasn't RoDS.

While gray oozes and ochre jellies can be very annoying throughout the game if the player is not wearing an eternium or artifact melee weapon, yellow oozes are more dangerous in the early game I'd say, especially if not poison resistant.

grobblewobble
09-05-2009, 08:25 AM
Re Zeteginara: Yeah, somehow the loss of the ordinary ring felt worse than the loss of the character, hehe. :p Long live the irrational mind.

Re Harwin: Hmm, I think the stairs down was behind a hidden door, because the only passage I saw was into the vault. Next time I will definitely try harder to avoid these slimy vaults of yuck. Except with a spellcaster.

Re Silfir: IIRC it was in between the big room and dwarftown, D:8 or D:9.

DumbleDoor
09-07-2009, 05:11 PM
I've had 2 ordianry rings be RoDS, 1 stun resistance, and 1 fire resistance.

RndmNumGenerator
09-11-2009, 03:20 AM
I thought RoDS were indestructable anyway? Or can Gelatenous Cubes dissolve any non-artifact items?

sorear
09-11-2009, 05:24 AM
I thought RoDS were indestructable anyway? Or can Gelatenous Cubes dissolve any non-artifact items?

Item shuffling preserves materials. All ordinary rings, regardless of actual identity, are made of adamantium. (This also restricts them to being the adamantium rings - fire, damage, slaying, djinni summoning).