PDA

View Full Version : Holy Symbol

Superteeth
09-12-2009, 12:16 AM
Hello, everyone. I was trying something out with a random character I made. It was a gray elf paladin, and paladins always start with holy symbols. I thought that I would try something out. I used the holy symbol repeatedly, and at first the message was "You pray". Eventually, the message added "You feel comfortable". That means that piety increased, and I know that the piety gain is very small, which leads me to my question. Would it theoretically be possible to be crowned a champion at level 1 by using a holy symbol repeatedly at the beginning of the game? I know it would take a lot of turns, but I was just wondering if it would be possible.

pblack
09-12-2009, 12:29 AM
Hello, everyone. I was trying something out with a random character I made. It was a gray elf paladin, and paladins always start with holy symbols. I thought that I would try something out. I used the holy symbol repeatedly, and at first the message was "You pray". Eventually, the message added "You feel comfortable". That means that piety increased, and I know that the piety gain is very small, which leads me to my question. Would it theoretically be possible to be crowned a champion at level 1 by using a holy symbol repeatedly at the beginning of the game? I know it would take a lot of turns, but I was just wondering if it would be possible.

theoretically....yes. but it might be troublesome to get it at level 1 since you probably won't have enough money to buy all the food you'll need and you are going to have to go adventuring a little.

But it is possible as far as I know.

EDIT: unless there's an upper limit to holy symbol piety wich i'm not aware of.

Superteeth
09-12-2009, 12:32 AM
Yeah, that is what I was doing. Food is not really all that big of a problem, though. I just kept going back and forth to the small cave for corpses. It would be even better to stairhop the ID for food. I did it for maybe ten minutes, and that was enough for 5 prayers before the ground started rumbling, and then I got killed by a white worm (They are kind of tough when they spawn so much). Quite the surprise since I mostly play trolls. As an aside, I made another random character, a human merchant. I kept using haggling on Munxip until he said "I can't lower the prices anymore since I have 7 children to feed". I then used haggling one more time and got the message "I can't lower the prices anymore since I have 8 children to feed". His wife or whatever must have had a baby right then or something.

psy_wombats
09-12-2009, 01:40 AM
It's something like .5 piety up for every prayer. Also, piety decreases by a certain percent over time, so there's a point where you're losing piety faster than you gain it. I haven't done the math, but I doubt it's feasible.

EDIT: Every 220 actions, decrease of 1%. Need 30,000 to be crowned. So if my math's correct you can never get above 10890 piety.

sorear
09-12-2009, 02:18 AM

It is possible to become crowned at level 1 using a holy symbol, but the procedure is rather different.

First, equip only a junk item and drop your inventory. Then pray until your god destroys the junk item. If you were to pray again (actually it takes 2-3 more) at this point, you would be bolted for 20d6, which you probably won't survive.

Instead, find a zombie or something in the ID and turn it repeately. Each turning uses a good bit of piety, *but without triggering piety effects*, so you can get yourself over the bolting range with ~50 turns.

Now, find a dark room with stairs in the ID somewhere, and pray. Your god will summon holy slayers, solars, or greater daemons, depending on alignment. If you were chaotic you will die at this point because greater daemons see invisible and in the dark and I *think* they also bash doors; pick a better alignment.

Now pray again ~700 times (1000 for paladins and Candle-borns). Because each prayer is so much more expensive than the last, your piety counter will reach - 2 billion and wrap around at this point. After you get (pre)crowned, leave the level. If you pray again your god will turn on the lights and you will get shredded by the thousands of servants from the previous step.

Ascaron
09-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Improvement on the above method: use a wand of door creation and some potions of booze to create doors all around you before the step where you pray and spectres are summoned. That way, (if you're in the ID) you can just leave the level, and voila! No more worries with the spectres.

gut
09-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Improvement on the above methods:

Use adombot.

Jack the Ripper
09-12-2009, 01:11 PM

Once every X turns ( I don't recall the exact number, if it even is exact) you get a 5% decrease in your piety. At a high-enough piety level the decrease is too big for you to be able to make up for it by praying with the symbol before ANOTHER decrease strikes.As such, it's impossible to get crowned by repeatedly using a holy symbol except through the piety-wrap abusing methods described above.

DumbleDoor
09-12-2009, 03:37 PM
If someone is going to suggest you piety overflow, I suggest you save scum.

Al-Khwarizmi
09-12-2009, 03:58 PM
If someone is going to suggest you savescum, I suggest you write an vlg in Notepad and post it to YAVP.

gut
09-12-2009, 05:13 PM
^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
^^^*^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ==^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^@.^
^^^===""""~ ^^*^^^&&&&&&&~~~~~~~~~~ ====^^*^^^^^^^^^^^^..^^
^^^===="""~~~ ^^^&&&&&&o&&&&&&&~~~~~~~& ====="""""""&&^~^^*^.^^
^^^^"""""~~~^ ^^^^^^^^&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& =""""""""""&&~~~^....^
^^"""""~~^^*^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^&&&&&&&&&"" """"""""""&&&&&o..~^^^
^^^"""~~~^^^^^^^ ^^^*^""""""""""""""""""" """""""""&&&&&&&&&&^^^^
^^~~~~~~^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^"""""""""""""""""""" """"""""&&&&&&&&&&&~~^^^^
^*^~^^^^^~~~^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^"""""&&&&"""*&&&&""""=="""""&&&&&&&&&&&&~~*^^^^
^^^^^^^^^~~~~~~"o""""^^"""""""""&&&&&&&&&......^^^^=="""""""&&o&&&&~~~~^^^^^
^^^^^^^^~~~~"""""""""""""""""&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&.^^*^^===""""""&&&&&&~~~^^^^^^
^^^ ^^~~~~~"""""""""""""""&&&&&&&*&*&&&&&&&&&....^^^^==="""&&""&&&~~~~~^^^^
^^&""""""""""""""""""&&&&&&&&&&&&&*&&&&&&&&&.""""""===="""""~~~~~^^^^^^
^&&""""""""""""""""&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&""""""==""====""~~~*^^^^^*^
*^&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&^^^*^^^^&&&&&&&&&&&&&&"""""===""""""""~~~~^^^^ ^~^
^^^&&&&&&&&&&&&&^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^&&&&&&&&&&""""""=^^"""~^^^^^^^^^o^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^+^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Moron Grey St:02 Le:03 Wi:03 Dx:02 To:02 Ch:01 Ap:03 Ma:04 Pe:01 C-
DV/PV:13/12 H:21(22) P:7(7) Exp: 5/1255 DrCh Sp: 76
Bloated Drunk Coward

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Background Information

Name: Moron Grey Race: male (?) Human Class: DogHater
Eye color: mud Hair color: dirt Complexion: black and blue
Height: 5'7" Weight: 129 pounds
Star sign: Doofus Birthday: 17/Doofus (day 13 of the year)

YOUR HISTORY:
Your parents ran away when you were a kid. Nobody blamed them.
Your father was a pig kicker. Your mother was half orc. You do
the math. Despite all circumstances, you survived several well
intentioned attempts to murder you. During your youth you were
often mistake for a dog, attacked by dogs, and fed dog food.
As a young adult you had to clean dog lots to avoid getting a
daily beating. You were often beaten anyway because everyone
hated you. After being forced to marry a kobold, you finally
achieved your goal. You decided to become a DogHater.
His further life:

After he leaves the Drakalor Chain he is shunned by his people, as always.
They refuse to acknowledge him in any way. They actually blame him for the
incursions of chaos into Ancardia. He is crowned with the cap formerly
owned by that nice Kranf Niest fellow. He lives a short and highly confused
life before finaly being killed by my dog.

His achievements during his adventures:

Moron Grey, the human DogHater, annoyed the world with his dog
hating ways, and his remains now lie in an unmarked grave. He
shaved himself 5 times in his life.
He scored with no female. Ever.
He survived for 20 some years. Nobody knows exactly, or cares.
Moron Grey visited 106 places. They were all kennels. The
dog murdering bastard.
His strength score was modified by -1 during his career.
His learning score was modified by -3 during his career.
His willpower score was modified by -4 during his career.
His dexterity score was modified by -2 during his career.
His toughness score was modified by -2 during his career.
His charisma score was modified by -3 during his career.
His appearance score was modified by -2 during his career.
His mana score was modified by -1 during his career.
His perception score was modified by -2 during his career.
He was Ancardia's most hated citizen.
He vomited on the champion of the arena, who promptly bit him.
He was kicked out of the thieves guild for incompetency.
He left the Drakalor Chain after being ran out on a rail.

He possessed the following intrinsics:
He was slightly retarded.
He stank to high heaven.
He had a forked tongue.
He had scales.
He was unlucky.
Fate frowned, and sometimes straight out vomited upon him.
He was unable to control his bladder.
He was immune to common sense.
He was immune to good judgement.

He had the following talents: None, save kicking dogs.
He had a final speed score of 76 (final base speed: 76).
He was hated, rather equally, by all gods.
He asked for 137 divine interventions. All ignored.

Epythic
09-12-2009, 05:34 PM
After he leaves the Drakalor Chain he is shunned by his people, as always.
They refuse to acknowledge him in any way. They actually blame him for the
incursions of chaos into Ancardia. He is crowned with the cap formerly
owned by that nice Kranf Niest fellow. He lives a short and highly confused
life life before finaly being killed by my dog.

That gave it away ;)

Molach
09-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Oh that was funny, gut. Actually laughed out loud over a few of the passages there. Which made my wife ask was is so funny. A question to which I regrettable had to make up a proper reply. So thanks for making me lie to my wife, dude.

gut
09-12-2009, 08:16 PM
> life life

It appears I didn't edit that out quickly enough.
That's actually not the first time that's happened
to me. Today's lesson: Proof read, then post.

> making me lie

You didn't want her to read it???

: )

pblack
09-12-2009, 08:27 PM
> life life

It appears I didn't edit that out quickly enough.
That's actually not the first time that's happened
to me. Today's lesson: Proof read, then post.

> making me lie

You didn't want her to read it???

: )

He didn't want to explain to his wife what ADOM is. She probably knows he's a nerd... but not THAT nerdy =P

> he asked for 106 divine interventions. All ignored.

HAHAHAHA

DumbleDoor
09-12-2009, 08:46 PM
While Grey was a dog-hater, Gut was a treasure hunter hater. Which is worse? Gut, of course. GREY FTW!
All threads which now include Grey and Gut in them are a Grey vs. Gut thread. Grey is lawful, Gut is chaotic, and the druids are neutral. I am lawful.

Grey
09-13-2009, 06:03 AM
Moron Grey St:02 Le:03 Wi:03 Dx:02 To:02 Ch:01 Ap:03 Ma:04 Pe:01 C-
DV/PV:13/12 H:21(22) P:7(7) Exp: 5/1255 DrCh Sp: 76
Bloated Drunk Coward

Well, you got one thing right... I suppose all that PV comes from my thick skull? ;P