PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Questions

Krogg
09-14-2009, 05:09 PM
I've played ADOM off and on for about 10 years. Usually I play Paladins, Wizards or archers and have had regular victories with all of them, as well as one elementalist and a barbarian (Troll named Krogg, 1st victory, way back in the day).

Anyway, I thought I would play a ranger and never really understood the deal with penalties for fighting with two weapons at the same time. Practically speaking, what max weights make a difference and how much, dominant hand vs off hand, etc? I realize one weapon and a shield may be better. Thanks.

[edit: Just realized Gut had a thread touching on some of this].

JellySlayer
09-14-2009, 06:05 PM
I've played ADOM off and on for about 10 years. Usually I play Paladins, Wizards or archers and have had regular victories with all of them, as well as one elementalist and a barbarian (Troll named Krogg, 1st victory, way back in the day).

Anyway, I thought I would play a ranger and never really understood the deal with penalties for fighting with two weapons at the same time. Practically speaking, what max weights make a difference and how much, dominant hand vs off hand, etc? I realize one weapon and a shield may be better. Thanks.

[edit: Just realized Gut had a thread touching on some of this].

The manual actually has a very good description of this:

Your to-hit bonus is basically:
Two-weapon combat skill/5
Subtract 6 for non-rangers
Subtract Max((Weight of both weapons /10)-6, 0)

For rangers level 32 or higher, the formula in the last line changes to Weight/20. For level 50, it's weight/40.

What this means in practical terms is this: all non-rangers will receive a to-hit penalty of -1 at TWC 100.
All non-rangers will receive a penalty of -1 for each 10s their combined weapon weight is over 60. So dual-wielding two shortswords will have no weight penalty. Two maces of destruction (240s total) will have a penalty of -18 each.

For rangers, the combined weight can be 120s for level 32 or higher and will be -1 for every 20 stones above, and 240s for level 50 or higher, with penalties of -1 for every 40s above.

[edit]I am not convinced this algorithm is exactly accurate in 1.1.1. I seem to remember looking at Big Punch + something for fun once, and had to-hit of -200ish.

gut
09-14-2009, 06:36 PM
This is kinda why I wanted to chart things out
step-by-step as a PC progresses through the
game. I haven't started examining much of the
data yet, I'm just gathering it for now. My theory
is that rangers are absolute to-hit powerhouses,
needing only some way of boosting to-damage
to be uber scary bringers of death.

Krogg
09-14-2009, 09:56 PM
Assuming you were to keep to weapons with a combined weight under 120 stones (such as two eternium flails or hammers or spears), then their really isn't any advantage of being a ranger relative to another class with the two hand weapon skill. Yes?

Edit Oh 60 stones. Well still could do some good eternium combinations.

JellySlayer
09-14-2009, 10:18 PM
Assuming you were to keep to weapons with a combined weight under 120 stones (such as two eternium flails or hammers or spears), then their really isn't any advantage of being a ranger relative to another class with the two hand weapon skill. Yes?

Edit Oh 60 stones. Well still could do some good eternium combinations.

Note that the second line of the formula also takes off 6 points from all non-rangers. So at minimum, rangers are always 6 points better (assuming the formula is accurate).