PDA

View Full Version : Doh...

zeteginara
09-14-2009, 07:40 PM
Had a 15 orcish beastfighter, wandering around level 15 of the CoC. He was doing really well, had good stats. I was going to get to Khelly, then turn back and do everything else (graveyard, high kings, etc.) Farthest I've ever gotten with a beastfighter, and I was going for an ultra.

Anyway, back to wandering around level 15 of the CoC.

The ghost lord hits you. You suddenly age! You feel grown-up. You feel middle-aged. You feel old. You feel very old. You lose blood! The ghost lord fails to hurt you. You age... Suddenly you can see the Grim Reaper directly in front of you. She speaks "Thou hast tarried too long. Now thy time hath come. I hereby demand thy life!" Her scythe moves like lightning and runs through your body as if through warm butter. Your life drains away... You die...

Wow. One shotted. From young to very old to dead. How much do those things take away with one hit? I noticed it didn't even damage me, but still aged me.

Thing is, I've beaten the game with a human before, who has an equally (I think) terrible life span. I didn't run into ghost lords until D:50, and avoided them to go directly into the chaos gate. Still though, I didn't think they were capable of one-shotting me.

JellySlayer
09-15-2009, 12:11 AM
Orcs have the shortest lifespan of any race. Something like 40-50 years. Humans have about double that, IIRC.

I think a ghost lord can actually kill a human in 1 hit, but it would be really unlucky for it to happen. I believe ghost kings are certainly capable of aging >100 years in 1 hit.

Pumpernickel
09-15-2009, 09:13 AM
The ghost lord hits you. You suddenly age! You feel grown-up. You feel middle-aged. You feel old. You feel very old. You lose blood! The ghost lord fails to hurt you. You age... Suddenly you can see the Grim Reaper directly in front of you. She speaks ... You die...

Wow. One shotted. From young to very old to dead. How much do those things take away with one hit? I noticed it didn't even damage me, but still aged me.

Ow. That's the problem with orcs (trolls, humans and drakelings are asking for trouble when they let a ghost lord near them, but orcs can't allow them a single swing).

As i understand it, a character who has accumulated enough age for 'dead' generally gets a last chance - the game usually doesn't kill them right away but only on the next turn _after_ they've exceeded their max age (allowing them to drink a potion of longevity). Thus the final 'You age ...' without taking any damage.

Silfir
09-15-2009, 12:02 PM
Play dark elven beastfighter instead next time. Less toughness, but kickass armor, Alertness and a long life span...

DumbleDoor
09-15-2009, 07:53 PM
I've never had lifespan affect me. I want to see a game where someone dies of old age just because they've played the game for so long, and they have been playing for 20 years or something.

JellySlayer
09-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Easiest way would be to spend inordinate amounts of time in the quickling tree, since time passes much more rapidly there--just clearing the place normally can take a month (other areas like the cHaOs plane also have very fast clocks, but there's usually other problems in those areas to worry about...).

I don't think I've ever seen a game take over two years gametime unless the person was intentionally scumming for age.

flibble
09-16-2009, 11:55 AM
If you scum for making time pass, and you're not taken out of the game by aging or corruption, do you eventually get to watch Ancardia destroyed by chaos?

zeteginara
09-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Meh, created another Orc Beastfighter, just passed the ToEF. Unless something CRAZY happens, I'm probably going to win with this guy.

When I was in the tomb of the High Kings, I saw a ghost lord. I immediately blasted it with arrows and didn't let it touch me. I pretended it was the same ghost lord who one-shotted my other orc beastfighter.

Jouni
09-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Two of my characters have died of old age while in very deep CoC. Both of them were drakeling beastfighters and both were aged to death by one successfully blow from ghost lord... And neither was even middle aged before the last aging hit.

First one died in D:48, after trying to get past a room full of ghost lords. And to make that death even worse, it was my first time when I got that deep in CoC.

Second one was a couple of months later, after already winning the game twice with archers. It was one of those ghost lords in D:50, even though most of them didn't even manage to hit me. But then one of the last ones made one badly aging hit (tens of years added to age), and I was aged to death.

Stence
09-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Just out of curiosity, is it possible for ghosts to critical hit and double the amount of years?
If a ghost lords hit ages about 50 years and it crits it ages 100 years?

DumbleDoor
09-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Just to mention, I love orcish barbarians.

Pumpernickel
09-20-2009, 07:47 AM
I've never had lifespan affect me. I want to see a game where someone dies of old age just because they've played the game for so long, and they have been playing for 20 years or something.

I once managed that by having an orcish ranger sit in the wilderness. You simply stay in place and forage for food every 150 turns or so. On the whole, it's an extreme exercise in boredom - even an orc has to spend about 200 000 turns this way to finally die of natural old age, which means you'll need to spend something like 6 hours pushing keys.

Nothing peculiar seems to happen to the world - even after 15 years of time spent, the chaos situation is basically the same as on day 91.