PDA

View Full Version : ADOM on Iphone

kupiko
04-05-2008, 03:56 PM
Hi guys i'm just wondering would anyone know if it is possible to get ADOM on Iphone in any way? I'm just addicted to it and I would love to play it anywhere :-) I'll greatly appreciate any suggestions thx!

reich
04-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Hi guys i'm just wondering would anyone know if it is possible to get ADOM on Iphone in any way? I'm just addicted to it and I would love to play it anywhere :-) I'll greatly appreciate any suggestions thx!

Iphone doesn't have an operating system or hardware suitable for ADOM. And how would you play with on-screen keyboard.
Maybe a good PDA would be a better bet.

kupiko
04-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Well I was thinking it most likely has OS at least very similar to Mac OS right? And there are loads of applications that work on it even nes emulator so I was thinking iphone might be able to emulate any application. Well on board keyboard might be a little bit tricky but I could kill a lot of time with it. :-) Anyway thx.

Sami
04-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Try running adom over SSH. If you have shell anywhere and your connection isn't too slow you can try to connect to your shell from your phone and run adom remotely. I think there's at least some SSH-client available for iPhone too.

kupiko
04-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Try running adom over SSH. If you have shell anywhere and your connection isn't too slow you can try to connect to your shell from your phone and run adom remotely. I think there's at least some SSH-client available for iPhone too.

Thx a lot for advice i might try it.

Epythic
04-12-2008, 11:19 AM
You might want to:

1. Install linux locally, let computer run all day.
2. Start SSH daemon, open ports.
3. Setup Dyndns.
4. Profit.

Doalag
04-12-2008, 11:32 AM
That's possible on an iphone? I'd be curious to know how is managed the problem of screen size.

kupiko
04-12-2008, 11:49 AM
You might want to:

1. Install linux locally, let computer run all day.
2. Start SSH daemon, open ports.
3. Setup Dyndns.
4. Profit.

I have no idea what that is :( I still have to check what SSH is cause i have no idea either but my instinct should show me way :)

Doalag
04-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Search engine should do better than your instinct! :p

Epythic
04-14-2008, 03:44 PM
I have no idea what that is :( I still have to check what SSH is cause i have no idea either but my instinct should show me way :)

Basically, with SSH you can log into another computer over network/internet and then do stuff on that computer. Unfortunately, Windows and SSH dont mix well. At least not on the server side (where ADOM really is), but on the client side (where you sit and play) it works without any problems.

Details are here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Shell).

DragonKat
03-22-2009, 10:28 PM
Would it work for the google phone? It is run by the Android OS and has a qwerty keyboard.

Per_Killer
03-22-2009, 11:29 PM
Whatever you want to run Adom on it either has to be able to run DOS or a Dos-emulator, or find a SSH-client for it. Read this and try it on your computer first, and you'll probably understand what they are talking about with SSH: http://ancardia.ath.cx/adom_server_info.txt

It's basically Adom set up to run on a remote location, and all you do on your iphone or whatever you're on is to send input to the remote computer running Adom for you, and getting the remote computer to give you information back. (Like displaying the game-window) I think you'll have problems getting the correct screen layout on a cellphone though. I play Adom everywhere on my minilaptop ;)

Epythic
03-23-2009, 12:47 PM
I play Adom everywhere on my minilaptop ;)

At least as long as you have internet access. Which is the downside of webapps.

wwhog
01-09-2016, 03:41 PM
lost post? there currently inethack2 but it isn't the same
- no autoaim of ranged weapons, plus your required pet eats your food

wwhog
01-09-2016, 03:50 PM
if enuf request perhaps Apple would send Thomas
a blank check to port it to the iPhone

Blasphemous
01-09-2016, 04:21 PM
You should play a necromancer :D
You have a natural affinity for the class :D

CivBesch
10-10-2017, 06:24 PM
The last reply seems to be older than 1 year old.

Is there news about a version playable on iPhone?

adom-admin
10-11-2017, 01:54 PM
An iPad version might an option at some future point but I don't really see an iPhone version. Especially as I find all the Nethack & Rogue ports to iPhone completely unplayable trainwrecks. I wouldn't want to get into that line with ADOM ;-)

CivBesch
10-12-2017, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the reply. Maybe it might become an option if, as some hope, one day a keyboard could be connected to the iPhone. I used to connect a keyboard to a windows smartphone about 15 years ago!

cromat
10-12-2017, 08:13 PM
Once you consider having full keyboard it might be easiest to just SSH to a linux server with ADOM

adom-admin
11-10-2017, 02:27 PM
Iphone doesn't have an operating system or hardware suitable for ADOM. And how would you play with on-screen keyboard.
Maybe a good PDA would be a better bet.

We actually have an internal prototype working on iPad - so it is possible.

But sadly the UI is a huge challenge. I yet have to see a single complex roguelike game that actually works on iPhone. I try to play each and everyone I can get my hands on and none (of the complexity of ADOM) are fun as far as I am concerned.

So UI handling is the real bummer, not the OS.