PDA

View Full Version : Killed by monster inventories

Pumpernickel
09-24-2009, 09:38 AM
Nuurag-Vaarn picked up a bunch of shields from chaos warriors i had offed, equipped them and thus boosted his DV to 80, effectively unhittable for my +62 missile attack. My ~20 arrows of humanoid slaying didn't score one single hit, desperately shooting all other missiles didn't dent him, and so i was forced into melee. After draining ~50 points of misc. attributes, Nuuri finished off with an energy bolt. I could have unequipped Ironfists for killstealing - should have given 'crushed by luggage'.

Lessons learnt: don't foray far into the Mana Temple to lure a reluctant Nuurag-Vaarn out; this turned into a massive 'sea of monsters' desaster, and those chaos warriors mightn't have been generated if i had waited for him.
If your attack on Nuurag-Vaarn hinges on hitting him with arrows or quarrels, you must scum for weapon marks even more - level 9 in bows still wasn't enough.
If you ever again play a weapon-wielding Beastfighter, try an orc, not a troll. You'll start without a weapon and probably lower strength, but a lucky orc or dwarf can get better strength than an unlucky troll, and orcs have two advantages - they get Find Weakness, _and_ they actually gain levels at a barely tolerable speed, which helps missile to-hit (via levels and talents) and should allow acquiring the 'switch position' power early enough that you can use it to win.

As expected, a weapon-wielding beastfighter needs a lot of patience and enough flexibility to not restrict themselves to pure melee - you'll want missiles to nail stat-drainers and various major uglies, and you'll need magic attacks for stuff with excessive DV and regeneration - (Nonnak in the early game, ACW in the midgame). The best weapon you can hope for is an eternium two-handed sword, for its built-in to-hit bonus of +18, which with a lot of skill and godly attributes can sum up to a +20 to-hit total around the Mana Temple. Interestingly, the 'affinity with weapon' talents seem to grant their full bonus even to weapon-using beastfighters, while most other boni are apparently quartered.

Silfir
09-24-2009, 01:58 PM
I'm confused. Are you playing a challenge game in which you cripple your beastfighter's awesome powers by using melee weapons?

Pumpernickel
09-24-2009, 05:53 PM
I'm confused. Are you playing a challenge game in which you cripple your beastfighter's awesome powers by using melee weapons?

You got it. I found it still counts as YASD, not failure on a challenge, since i made two fatal errors:
1. I played a Troll. For any character who can get any use out of levels, that's a grave error.
2. I wasn't paranoid enough in the Mana Temple: you really have to make sure you don't get surrounded there, particularly if you're honour-bound to fight your way back out with a crippled melee attack.

I made pretty good progress, although as i said i didn't feel up to going pure melee - there's much too much stuff where only the 'pure luck' hits will connect (somewhere between 5 and 10%, it seems) which would render anything with regeneration unkillable. I still managed to take down ASB and Master Summoner in fair melee and hadn't the Archmage cheated, i would probably have made it to D:50.

Just to show, those were my weapon skills - i bought the skill package from Bart and punched a ratling duelist who _begged_ for it by disarming me, while wearing a shield:

Melee weapon Lvl Hit Dam DV Level Required marks
--------------------- --- --- --- -- ------------- --------------
Unarmed fighting 1 +1 +0 +0 basic 23
Clubs & hammers 11 +10 +7 +4 Mastery 2143
Pole arms 12 +14 +8 +16 Mastery 1714
Twohanded weapons 12 +14 +18 +4 Mastery 299
Staves 1 +1 +0 +1 basic 25

Missile weapon Lvl Hit Dam Ra Level Required marks
--------------------- --- --- --- -- ------------- --------------
Slings 8 +16 +12 +2 excellent 175
Bows 9 +18 +13 +3 excellent 258
Thrown rocks & clubs 1 +2 +1 +0 basic 4

Shields Lvl DV Level Required marks
--------------------- --- --- ------------- --------------
Shields 9 +18 excellent 104

pblack
09-25-2009, 03:50 AM
When i read the title of the thread i somehow visualized you pickpocketing a monster and getting your hand bitten by an evil ring... and then bleeding to death....

hence... killed by monster inventory.

But i'm exceptionally silly today. And i'm not high... that's very, very preocupying.