PDA

View Full Version : General Tips?

Chaine
04-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Hey,
I've been playing ADoM for a couple-three years with no success.
The farthest I've gotten is doing the Mad Carpenter quest and getting all the way to dwarven city, with the arena beat. I usually use a dark elf or human fighter, preferrably literate but I don't know quite how to make sure they turn out literate during character creation so they usually end up the other way.
I've had quite alot of fun times in ADoM but I think its so darn frustrating when you die, all the time. Once I broke my leg kicking a wall, while looking for a hidden path (I didn't know the search command back then), what's up with that?

Anyhow, I was wondering some good early game tips: mainly in which order to do quests and how to avoid death. The main things that have been bothering me, alot, is how to identify and heal?
You can get the skill healing at the priest (Jhyrrad?), but other than that I've only found "first aid" which only works the very turn after getting hit and almost always fails. I've found no way to identificate or detect curses yet.
What are recommended skills/attributes for human knights by the way?

Mad Minstrel
04-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Don't choose class without healing skill if you don't like to die early. I think the best combination for you would be dwarven priest - healing skill, detect item status, herbalism, strong but good in magic too. It's one of the easiest combinations to play with.

Easy play order:

Do first 6 levels of the Black Druid dungeon
Do puppy cave
Finish Black Druid quest
Do serif quest to kill hotzenplotz
Look for a few spell books in Level 2-3 of ID
Go to CoC

Don't rush. You heal with time if you have high healing skill. Besides use speensweed herbs, spells of healing, healing potions. You can identify items with scrolls of identify. It's best to bless the scrolls (with holy water) before using it. You can create holy water by dropping potions of water on a co-aligned altar.

Worst Player... ever
04-08-2008, 06:35 PM
You can identify items with scrolls of identify. It's best to bless the scrolls (with holy water) before using it. You can create holy water by dropping potions of water on a co-aligned altar.

A quick addition to this -

You can tell if an item is cursed or not by dropping it on a co-aligned altar. It'll tell you, as long as your god isn't too mad at you.

Holy water is only created in this manner if your God is 'Very Pleased' or above.

Learning how to properly use altars is a big deal. Sacrificing non-aligned monsters on the altar is worth much more than sacrificing gold, but gold is a good standard.

There's a thread here (http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread.php?t=94) which still might help you, even though you're not really a noob at this point.

Chaine
04-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Ok, I'm going to try a run - as soon as I know this:
Is going down levels good or bad? I usually explore entire levels (excluding hidden paths) before I leave for the next floor, usually works well, but is that a bad habit?

Travis Prue
04-08-2008, 09:12 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it :)

Sradac
04-08-2008, 10:03 PM
im kinda not sure on that. Iused to explor every corner of a level before i go down to the next, but I found out that actually eats alot of my game time. Lately I've been heading straight for the stairs unless im looking for something specific on the level. Sometimes it helps sometimes it hurts, as i wont have as many levels from killing all the monsters on a floor, but i can get stuff done quicker. Really only worry about how much time has passed once you get a good handle for the game. I actually just started being concerned with passed time about a year ago and i've been playing adom for like 6 or 7 years.

Mad Minstrel
04-08-2008, 10:43 PM
IMO with weak characters (mindcrafters etc) early in the game it's better not to open locked door if you don't have too (explosion traps). Also if there are ants/bees on the level and your character is weak you should find the staircase as soon as possible and go down.

And sometimes it's better to leave tension rooms closed, especially if you don't have healing skill yet. Leaving tension rooms closed is also the easiest way to "produce" a dungeon level without / with very small monster generation as a resting place.

Also I think it's generally better not to explore first CoC levels to much before you get the first quest in the dwarf city. It increases your chance of finding the moster you will need to kill to make the quest.

Finally, I think deep in CoC (level 40 and below) it is better not to explore every corner because of high corruption - especially after 90 day.

Chaine
04-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Ok, a dwarven priest named Dragen - quite a failure.
First of all; I did get the Miser talent, but could never get Treasure Hunter, it's not avaible for priests?
I did the first six levels of the Mad Carpenter/Black Druid(?) dungeon, then went to the puppy cave. Once there I got to the sixth level quite quickly but once there I opened one of those lots-of-monster doors, was cornered and finally killed by an invisible stalker. Does a high perception help you hit theese guys, because I was wearing a helmet that gave me (+1,+1) [+1,+1] but -1 or -2 to perception.
The skills I upgraded the most was item detection (I love that skill), healing, literacy, listening and first aid (Pah, that didn't help me).
Oh, how do you know if an item is magical? I found a brass amulet (amulets found usually are magical to me) and identified it - it was just a plain brass amulet. Ouch.
By the way, it's been a while since last: (+1,+1) [+1,+1] means +1 to hit/+1 to damage, +1 to armor/+1 to dodge or something like that? What's the difference between the first two, really?

EDIT: Any easy human/grey elf/dark elf combination? I hate being a dwarf so much, especially a dwarven priest. Any other classes with the item detection skill aswell? I think it's the only one I really need, as you learn healing just a tad into the game and I don't have the faintest clue how to use herbalism.

Mad Minstrel
04-09-2008, 11:52 AM
You need Alert and Miser to get Treasure Hunter. There is no point in upgrading listening, it trains itself and is not as valuable as healing or herbalism. If you like elves maybe try High Elf archer. Or maybe human priest? Only Priests and Merchants have guaranteed item detection, but merchants are much harder to play.

spectre
04-09-2008, 11:59 AM
"First of all; I did get the Miser talent, but could never get Treasure Hunter, it's not avaible for priests?"

Actually, the prerequisite for TH is Alert and Miser. Hence, If you want them be sure to get alert at level 1.

"Does a high perception help you hit theese guys, because I was wearing a helmet that gave me (+1,+1) [+1,+1] but -1 or -2 to perception."

Not sure abut that, but I wouldn't overestimate it. Seems it was more due to your being cornered (as fighting wih more than one enemy reduces your to hit chance.) As a priest, I think you should rely more on your spells in such sticky situations (Bolt Spells, or Darkness when all else fails).

"Oh, how do you know if an item is magical? I found a brass amulet (amulets found usually are magical to me) and identified it - it was just a plain brass amulet. Ouch."

Brass rings and amulets are always plain brass. Other jewelery always does 'something'. As far as otheritems are concerned, you just have to put on and try.

"By the way, it's been a while since last: (+1,+1) [+1,+1] means +1 to hit/+1 to damage, +1 to armor/+1 to dodge or something like that? What's the difference between the first two, really?"

Read the full manual, as they say (-: These figures are modifiers to your to hit with melee and missle. That's true for all armor pieces. For shields you only get the melee modifier.

"EDIT: Any easy human/grey elf/dark elf combination? I hate being a dwarf so much, especially a dwarven priest. Any other classes with the item detection skill aswell? I think it's the only one I really need, as you learn healing just a tad into the game and I don't have the faintest clue how to use herbalism."

I'll start from the end. Herbalism is only used when you find patches of herbs in dungeons. It allows you to:
1)Identify herbs.
2)Pick more herbs from a bush.
3)Without it you only get cursed herbs.
As you can see, it mostly saves time and resources (you don't have to read scrolls of ID, use of holy water, and get more out of a single bush). It's nice but not critical.

Other classes with DIS, again the manual holds all the answers. Apart from priests, these are Merchants and Bards can also be generated with the skill. These classes, however are a lot harder than Priests, and dont have Concentration (well, for bards it depends on the rolls)

As for other races you can try, Dwarves are nice for their Detect Traps ability, I, however, dislike their starting L alignment.
Humans don't offer too much, save for the Food Preservation skill, Orcs have interesting starting equipment (and start with Find Weakness, which is a great skill), Elves start with great armor, and have high Mana to boot (Dark Elves can eat Spiders and also start with the useful Find Weakness and Alertness skills), Drakelings come with their Acid Spit and Alertness, Hurtlings have pathetic strength, and low Mana, but come with the Cooking/Food Preservation combo and thrown rocks weapon skill at 4. They are also Lawful at start.

Seems you don't have problems with starvation, so you may safely skip hurtlings. I'd say, watch your hooscope and try to adjust to it. If you get Wand, for instance, go for a Neutral race.

If you are not Lawful, be sure to join the thieves guild for a bunch of nice skills. Especially the Detect Traps, as others are not that crucial. You'll miss it as a non-dwarf.

Chaine
04-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Ah, I've reread the guides (Ingame manual and a peice of Andy William's).
I'll still need someone to explain [x,x] (x,x) though, didn't find that in the guides. I know the []s are to hit and to damage, but the ()s?
Anyhow, would a Grey Elf Priest (Which month should I use? I'd say Cup/Wolf/Tree but AW's guide sais Wand) work? Are High Elf/Archer/Raven and Troll/Beastfighter/Candle good combinations?

spectre
04-09-2008, 04:38 PM
The armor stats are in the manual, under the inventory section (-:
It actually goes the other way 'round, like this: (MeleeTH,MissleTH) [DV, PV] DV is defence/dodge, PV is for protection. The First two modify your to hit.

[Anyhow, would a Grey Elf Priest (Which month should I use? I'd say Cup/Wolf/Tree but AW's guide sais Wand) work? Are High Elf/Archer/Raven and Troll/Beastfighter/Candle good combinations?]

Wand with a GE Priest will give you a nice spellcaster, with lots of mana and nice reduction to spell costs.
I'm not too hot about Wolf, but Cup and Tree are both nice all-rounders. The Willpower boost will also boost your spellcasting (though once you find the right herb patches, it loses importance).

As to the other combinations, H-Elf/Archer/Raven looks okay, the speed bonus means you can play your ranged trade well (just stay unburdened).
I tend to prefer Dark Elves for archers, for the Find Weakness skill. However, you have to find them a better ranged weapon soon. I also favor the book sign a bit more, as it alllows you to use that Concentration skill to do some decent spellcasting.

Troll/Beastfighter/Candle - positively good. Candle on a troll means fast HP regeneration. I don't play Beastfighters much, so I'll end it here.

Chaine
04-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Ok, I'll start trying now with a Grey Elf Priest.
Meanwhile, Dark Elf Archers can't learn healing from Jharrod, right?
I had to rewrite the last message I did and it seems I forgot to ask what Andy William calls "non-guaranteed" skills. The description looks kinda confusing to me, contradicting what you guys are saying. Non-guaranteed skills can be given by chance at the start or they have to be learned?

EDIT: Ach, the amounts of help one needs to learn a new rougelike. How do you guys come up with names and how to make commands such as /cC \M and stuff like that?

spectre
04-09-2008, 05:25 PM
[Meanwhile, Dark Elf Archers can't learn healing from Jharrod, right?]

Well, there's also the mad doctor in holeinthewall. Stat drain is mildly annoying though, so I tend to make them neutral asap. Doing all the good quests available from Teinyo seems to work well. Most often, however, I tend to find a convenient altar in the dungeons fairly soon.

Non-guaranteed skills from the guidebook are those that you can get only off a Wish, or from potion of education, not from NPCs, or from race/class, .
Skills that bards get randomly count as non-guarantted as well.
Also, you can't get Healing and Alertness this way.

[how to make commands such as /cC \M and stuff like that?]

Not sure at the moment, but most likely it involves Control or maybe Alt plus some key. Press these and see what the game'll tell you. If it's something like unknown command c\, you know you're on the right track.

Chaine
04-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Argh, it was going so well - then I encountered an ogre, I was already low on health (damn, should have waited for health before I kept going after that wounded dark sage). I ran, ofcourse, with eight hitpoints left - ran into some monsters, ran the other direction, ran into more monsters!
The fifth level of the puppy cave really is flooded with monsters, I've gotta remember that.

In other everything was going well. I got to Level 7, had just spent 2 and a half days (Lots of time to do time-limit quests)
Anyhow, the talents I got was Alert, Miser, Teasure Hunter (Those three were starting ones), Porter (Without it I couldn't carry enough food) and Quick (Didn't know what else to take - and it kind of helped in my closing minutes).
My toughness and perception rose by +1.
The skills I upgraded was item status detection (or whatever it was called) to superb, dodging to good (started with mediocre) and healing to great. I started with 100 literacy, quite nice as my characters usually end up quite illiterate.
I found a pair of boots of sneakiness and lots of other treasure, a shame I died.

So, does anyone have tips how to avoid - or escape large amounts of monsters?

EDIT: Note to self - ogres can take 28 damage in one hit.

spectre
04-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Well, it's not like you _must_ do the puppy quest right away (or at all for that matter), unless you need an alignment boost. Even so, just bringing the dead puppy back gives some benefits. You may want to wait a few levels.
If you're having such a hard time, don't muck about in these cavernous levels, search for stairs down asap, as if you are low level, the RNG will generate something nice for you. (Invisible Stalker anyone?)

As to your question, there's lots of things you can do (-:
The basics is not to get surrounded, lead them to a corridor, or at worst to a corner.
Change the tactics setting to coward (T key). On the whole, tactics in THE lifesaving thing for me (-:
Don't underestimate the first aid skill. Every little bit counts. Only remember to switch to coward before using it.
Use your spells. Priests should start with at least one spellbook, ideally, you should have one offensive and one healing spell at the ready. These will help a lot.
If you don't have these, holy awe/scare monster may help, darkness works as well, slow monster also.
You can use pets to delay enemies. Priests have music skill, which allows to calm, and eventually tame cats, frogs and bugs. You'll need an instrument, thugh.

As to escaping a tight squeeze, a few options: tunneling or teleportation come to mind first.

Chaine
04-09-2008, 09:27 PM
RNG? That must be short for Round Nose Graveyard. Seeing as I have hanged around the forums since 1998 I know exactly where that is, which is why I've won the game with all possible character combinations. Note sarcasm, what is RNG?
By the way, you just have to use the instrument to claim a creature? I've gotten a tambourine and glockenspiel but didn't use either.

Doalag
04-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Hurthling don't only get Cooking and Food Preservation but also Healing, Gardening and Herbalism. The low ST for the beginning isn't a major problem, it will rise quickly to 18. Priest Hurthling, Gray Elf and High Elf don't only get Music skill but also get a music tool. Their weakness as priest is perhaps more a Mana lower than for elves.

In the first part, music can be a useful tool even if you don't use a pet all the time.

RNG, good question, perhpaps Random Number Generator? Anyway it means luck dice the engine throw in your face, ie the hazard factor. Can be cool or nasty, depends.

EDIT: One thing about priest elves vs Hurthling, this need a confirmation but I got a strong feeling that for a same CH level Hurthling tame much faster than gray and high elves. I should be wrong but the difference seems so big that I wanted mention it.

spectre
04-10-2008, 03:15 AM
[Note sarcasm, what is RNG?]

Thou shalt not mock ye holy RNG, heathen, lest ye shalt be smitten and meet and untimely YASD!
Seriously, though RNG stands for the Random Number Generator, just as Doalag pointed out.
Call it fate, call it lady luck, it tends to plop instakill stone block traps right nder the feet of your promising wizard characters (-:

[By the way, you just have to use the instrument to claim a creature? I've gotten a tambourine and glockenspiel but didn't use either.]

Just put it into the tool slot and use it (U). After enough successful playings of the instrument, the nearby hostile animals (not all though) should calm down, and eventually become tame. The game will tell you that when it happens.
I find this the most useful to avoid killing cats. It can also be useful to tame ants.
Rats, bugs, frogs and lizards are susceptible.
However, note that you are not a bard, and your music's charm will not last forever.
Also, it seems that the heavier the instrument, the better, but with enough skill, you should get results anyway.

[Hurthling don't only get Cooking and Food Preservation but also Healing, Gardening and Herbalism.]

That's misleading. Hurtlings do not get Healing nor do they get Herbalism. Instead, they get Archery. (unless you're playing some sort of a weird ADOM gamma (-:

Just to clarify, Hurtlings as a race are trained in:
Stealth Archery, Cooking, Food Preservation, Gardening

Priest class gets:
First Aid, Healing, Herbalism, Literacy, Concentration, Detect Item Status, Music

[I should be wrong but the difference seems so big that I wanted mention it.]
Could be RNG playing tricks on you, I am not sure though. Can't say I experienced the same myself. (-:

Chaine
04-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Ah, I thought RNG would be some sort of cave I've missed.
I doubt the usefulness of taming ants.

By the way, that lill' puppy cave - are monster levels set or leveled with you? The reason I havn't waited a whole three days before going there is because I havnt been certain - if it ain't leveled I'll do the entire Carpenter quest before going there (usually get to the stairscase to the final level with only a day passed).
I think I'll try another priest, and if he fails miserably I'll try an archer - only what are the best ways to get wood for fletchery? I usually kick down doors, but with all the traps laying about I realize that might not be the best option.

riktikticheck
04-10-2008, 04:23 PM
make arrows from logs, still uses 1 charge from the fletchery set i think, but creates more arrows (right?)

spectre
04-10-2008, 07:22 PM
[I doubt the usefulness of taming ants.]

Don't (-:
Not that it's spectacular, but a dozen ant workers can dig up the level nicely for you. Not really uber, but if you smith or know gemology, it is exploitable.

[What are the best ways to get wood for fletchery? I usually kick down doors, but with all the traps laying about I realize that might not be the best option.]

Be sure to learn Detect Traps from the thieves guild. It makes life so much easier.
Apart from logs, exploit all arrow traps, or if you don't care about time too much, exploit the barbarian wilderness encounter. Set tactics to coward, and run in front of the Ks, let them shoot you then collect.
Once you get the class power that lets you create obscene amounts of arrows from fletchery, stick with logs.

Kato
04-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Does blessing a potion of wonder increase it's effectiveness at all? Or increase the chance of learning a better spell?

Chaine
04-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Hmmm. How do you get detect traps? You've got to steal stuff, pickpocket from certain monsters, but how much really? Until I master the art of surviving the first two quests though, that won't be a concern.

Sradac
04-10-2008, 08:59 PM
I think you have to pickpocket 20 successful times after he tells you to prove your worth. If you get the message "*foo* dosent seem to have anything* that counts as a success there was just nothing for you to take. I usually put points into pickpocket until its in the low 20's and it works good enough, if you pickpocket every humanoid you come aross while clearing the first few dungeons thats more than enough.

as for the potion of wonder i would assume blessing it puts more points into the spell. Im pretty sure the type of spell is always randomly picked from the list, forcing you to cast it and putting some points into it. i could be wrong though the b/u/c status of it might have something to do wit hthe type but i've never seen any evidence its always just something completely random, from scare monster to lightning ball.

Kato
04-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Heh...I just came across a message I've never received before. I am currently N- for my alignment. I am trying to get my alignment to back to the more lawful side (too much pickpocketing I think. lol) I put on a blessed amulet of order. And now I am getting the message "You notice an itching feeling around your neck". Heh...is that a good or a bad thing? lol.

Heh...I assume it is just fine. It didn't take me long to go to an N+ with the blessed amulet of order on. lol.

Doalag
04-10-2008, 09:50 PM
There's many usage of taming animals. For example :
- Some monsters like wererat or jackalwere summon pack of animals this makes you kill a lot of them and when you kill too many summoned animal they'll become much more tough. To avoid it, tame and let summoned animal beat each other.
- When you hear the noise of a Vortex and have an animal nearby, tame it, eventually you'll be able to order it attack the vortex when you flee.
- There's few house where you could want stock items. You could use a pet to make it safer. For example to put it in the place of the door and make it wait here. Here the danger is the pet left you if you aren't a bard or a farmer. A better possibility if for a closed room you can use a pet or two to make a corridor arround the door, when you open the door to exit nobody will be able to enter as you open the door.
- You can use a tamed animal(s) to reveal traps, you order move somewhere to show traps on ground.
- You can tame a strong animal in order to make a part more easily. A nice example is the Puppy cave. Here taming the giant ant queen eventually with one or two warrior can make the quest almost easy for some char that could get a tough quest without the GAQ.
- You can order a pet wait at a place to block a passage, as soon as you are around and not attacked other monsters shouldn't attack it, well most of the time. It's a trick that you can use to gain some time if you are slow and flee monsters faster than you.
- A special but tougher example of using taming is to make the adventure with one or two pets. It's interesting, a little tough but can be a change.
- A strong pet can be very useful to avoid some close range fights. In fact a priest can even support the pet by healing it when needed and slower tough monsters.
- Strong pets can be very useful when you fight something that can paralyze you. If you get paralyzed the pet will get the attention of the monster eventually during a time long enough to stop be paralyzed.
- A bee hive isn't always easy to manage if your character level isn't high enough. using taming to make bees fight each other can be a good way to manage the situation.
- Some pets are immune to poison and could be used for hives, take care that even with poison resistance if you get a lot of poisoned hits the sum can be a dangerous poisoning.
- Pets are cool to fight invisible monsters, once the monster have attacked you or them they'll know where it is, invisible or not. If you order them attack the monster and after the monster becomes invisible, pets won't care and will know where the invisible monster is.
- Ruts monsters can be a little boring to fight if they go close, make a pet fight them can be cool.
- Taming can be a powerful and practical tool to manage your alignment, tame ot make "more friendly" an animal then attack it makes you more chaotic. When healing a pet (really injured) that makes you more lawful.

About tamed pets that aren't tamed forever if you aren't a bard, this isn't fully true:
- Someone else needs to confirm it but I think the Famer has the same advantage than bard.
- If you are in sight range of a pet I don't think it will ever left you.
- Even when you aren't in sight range of a pet it could stick with you during a long time. Eventually it won't and sometimes a short time is enough to make it left. The charisma level influence a lot this.
- If a pet leave you, you can tame it again, and it's usually faster than taming a new animal.

Chaine
04-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Ah, yes!
The thing I have been meaning to ask since the very first time I played ADoM: I know there are places with lists of the monsters in the game - but is there any place with the monster descrptions (the [l]ook ones)?
I'd love that - and if there isn't is it possible to download savegames for ADoM? If so I could go into the savegame and use monster memory to read it all.

Chaine
04-12-2008, 10:55 AM
My latest game made me wonder some things: are scale armors resistant or immune to water and/or rusting effects? I'm not sure what a scale armor is made of really (fish scales and leather, what the?) but in my latest game it seemed quite unaffected by water, both traps and swimming.
By the way, blankets are completely useless unless they're waterproof/fireproof and when they are you just need them in your inventory?

Doalag
04-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Yes proof blankets just need to be in the inventory. They won't protect stuff you wear. Against rain hooded cloak will protect all your stuff but the cloak won't protect your stuff against water trap/attack no when swimming.

Ring or fire and of ice will protect all your stuff even against water trap/attack, not sure when swimming.

I think that waterproof blanket protect inventory items when you swim but I'm not sure it's 100% safe.

EDIT: Normal blanket can be used to set up a trap against monsters, you put the blanket above a hole, eventually you can dig yourself the hole by digging the square you are on, like for graves.. Funny thing but I never attempt it yet.

Chaine
04-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Ok, I'll try to remember that. Anyhow, that waterproof(?) blanket you find in the northern dungeon, how exactly do you find it? It sais it is x paces away, you're supposed to walk x paces or something? Or does it simply lay around on the floor?
Still wondering if there's a list of monsters with descriptions.

Silfir
04-12-2008, 01:34 PM
It refers to the steps you have to walk to find it simply lying around on the floor. :) The waterproof blanket is always as far away from you as possible, i. e. if you start out on the left side, you have to look for the rightmost end of the SMC to find it.

gut
04-13-2008, 12:11 AM
> I think I'll try another priest, and if he fails
> miserably I'll try an archer - only what are the
> best ways to get wood for fletchery?

My fellow junior member Silfir : ) actually has a nice
guide written for archers. I would highly recommend
it, if you would like to maximize your chances. You
can probably find it by typing 'adom archer guide'
into a search engine.

> are scale armors resistant or immune to water

If they are made of mithril, or other higher metal,
they are waterproof. If they are not, you must
'proof' them yourself with potions of oil, or
rust removal.

> Still wondering if there's a list of monsters
> with descriptions.

Yes there is. I think it was made with heavy use
of code diving though, so I don't think it would be
appropriate to provide a link. I have looked at it
myself, I don't think it's horrible to look through
it, I would just feel wierd about advertising it.

Chaine
04-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Mind PMing a link then? I'd like to know what some monsters look like, because when I play the game itself I always forget to 'l'ook at them.

gut
04-13-2008, 02:29 PM
> Mind PMing a link then?

It's easy enough to google it. A few key words,
and you're set.

Chaine
04-13-2008, 03:40 PM

It's easy enough to google it. A few key words,
and you're set.

Ok, now I really don't think we're talking about the same thing.
I'm looking for a guide with monster descriptions. You know, "Husky, grey and fearsome. This wolf looks larger and thougher than any wolf you've ever seen before, and you feel it could claw your entire body to shreds within seconds.".
I've googled quite alot, and the only one I've found is the old (Andy William's) unofficial guidebook, which really only has minimal information about the monsters.

Doalag
04-13-2008, 03:57 PM
I also found nothing with google but the guidebook and some dead links.

Silfir
04-14-2008, 11:37 AM
There is a so-called "Improved Guidebook", which can be considered the evil copyright infringement version of the original guidebook. It does provide some additional information (the added stuff is written rather poorly), but a file compiling all the monster descriptions is something I don't think anyone has made yet - why go through all that work if it doesn't really help anyone?

Actually, there is a program that contains all the monster descriptions in ADOM... It is called ADOM. The best way to learn to play ADOM still is practice and very frequent and numerous deaths (apart from reading my guides, of course - cough, cough).

Grey
04-14-2008, 11:47 AM
I've googled quite alot, and the only one I've found is the old (Andy William's) unofficial guidebook, which really only has minimal information about the monsters.

There is no such list around, I'm afraid, mostly because it provides no tactical advantage to the game. However if you want a save game from which you can access the majority of monster descriptions (don't know if it has all) then check out Andy Williams' ADOM page (http://www.andywlms.com/adom/) (from which the guidebook is linked). At the bottom of the page there's a 1.0.0 save of a L50 character at I500. Obviously very spoily to even look at.

Chaine
04-14-2008, 02:54 PM
Ah, neat, going to check it out now. I'd love to love the ADoM storyline, but unfortunately I don't think I'll ever be able to win it. I havn't gotten too far and in just a few weeks another major videogame is released (IV.. take a guess), and once I start playing that I will have less time ofr ADoM and might even forget it for a month or so before I return. ADoM is the best RPG/Rougelike I've ever played, I just wish it wasn't so god damn hard.

EDIT: Agh! What is a solar? It was the one thing I accualy was looking for, and there is no mention of any solars in the file.

Grey
04-14-2008, 03:28 PM
Solars are lawful creatures that are sent to punish you if piss off the lawful gods. There's a few ways to have them summoned on you, like becoming a fallen lawful champion or keep praying when your piety is extremely low. Incredibly rare to see one in a dungeon (I don't think I've seen any).

gut
04-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Chaine:

gut:
> It's easy enough to google it. A few key words,
> and you're set.

Chaine:
> Ok, now I really don't think we're talking about
> the same thing

Indeed we are talking about the EXACT same thing.

Doalag:
> I also found nothing with google but the guidebook
> and some dead links.

That is because you are L+, as opposed to my own C- : )

Silfir:
> a file compiling all the monster descriptions is
> something I don't think anyone has made yet - why go
> through all that work if it doesn't really help anyone?

It has been made, and is fantastic in it's own right.
I have tremendous respect for the work the author
put into it, even though it has some code dived stuff
in it.

D- I mean Grey:
> There is no such list around, I'm afraid, mostly
> because it provides no tactical advantage to the game.

Now this just boggles my mind! I know you have to be
at least CN : ) The tactical advantage is tremendous,
the monster descriptions include additional info such as:
sees in dark
sees invis
shrugs off bolts
ignores traps

along with a whole host of other interesting facts.
I can say that I discovered most of the monster
intrinsics through trial and error. I would be lying
though, if I said that I did not learn a horde by
looking through it.

I still will not provide a link, PM/email, or keywords
though. Out of respect and courtesy, this just
isn't the place.

Doalag
04-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Common gut if the monster list you are thinking of is the same I have then it isn't more spoily than many stuff in the guidebook. About code diving, it's clear it was get only by that. The game author don't like it and own this forum? And then? I don't see anything about that in the forum rules so perhaps I'm more evil than you after all but myself I don't see at all why not share the url.

This url isn't that easy to find, I just pick up the link from a post in the other ADOM forums.

This list isn't what Chaine wishes, he just wanted the original monsters text description.

Anyway a detailed monster list got from code diving is here among amny other lists:
http://folk.ntnu.no/houeland/adom/results/datadump

It's only a part of the site :
http://folk.ntnu.no/houeland/adom/

This is just code diving, so some data aren't right in practice. For example, for the monster list, the speed given seems to be an average with values +/-10 the given value. But for the hits it's far to be the average, seems a lot more close to a rare maximum possible value. Also you don't get all information about all monsters, for example there's nothing about huge rock throwing by earth elemental when it's quite powerful as pet when you order them a target. Anyway it's a fantastic and very informative list.

gut
04-15-2008, 01:55 AM
> Common gut if the monster list you are thinking
> of is the same I have then it isn't more spoily
> than many stuff in the guidebook

It is a different monster list. It has complete
monster descriptions of all ADOM monsters. In
fact, if memory serves (it's been a while since
I've glanced through it), I think it has several
descriptions. Some must be from older versions
of ADOM.

In addition to ADOM monsters, it also gives
descriptions of some (maybe all?) of the monsters
from nethack. The guy really did put a lot of work
into it, it seems.

> The game author don't like it and own this forum?
> And then? I don't see anything about that in the
> forum rules so perhaps I'm more evil than you after
> all but myself I don't see at all why not share the
> url.

I KNEW you had a dark side! : )
You're right about it not being against the rules, at
least none that I have found. If I posted a link, it
probably wouldn't even be taken down. It's not a rule,
just courtesy, and respect. I have been provided a
great game, and nice forums (free of charge!), it's a
very small 'thank you' to just talk about code-dived
stuff elsewhere.

In the end, I think courtesy is more powerful than rules.
In forums that deal with emulators, they 'punish' those
who post links to 'illegal' files, even those who request
links via PM or email. They threaten banning, and maybe
legal action in some cases. Of course this doesn't work
even in the slightest. Their boards are full of link
postings, and private link requests. Maybe people post
links faster than they are deleted, or maybe the boards
aren't well supervised. (Or maybe they just say those
things as legal precautions).

In any case, the file we are talking about isn't illegal
at all, in fact it's great and useful. Code dived stuff
is there for those who are curious (I know I certainly
am, from time to time), but maybe that chat is for a
different forum.

Chaine
04-15-2008, 04:21 PM
Well, that's not the darndest helpful.

gut
04-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Google is fast and easy to use.
Search message boards, and search
RGRA through google groups. That will
get some info to go on. Once you
know the name of your target, it's only
a few clicks away : )

Grey
04-15-2008, 06:31 PM
It has complete
monster descriptions of all ADOM monsters. In
fact, if memory serves (it's been a while since
I've glanced through it), I think it has several
descriptions. Some must be from older versions
of ADOM.

I must admit that what you're talking about is completely unknown to me (I was fully aware of houeland's data dump of course). My own efforts at google searching have provided no results, but then Google is quite useless these days.

Chaine
04-15-2008, 06:36 PM
I must admit that what you're talking about is completely unknown to me (I was fully aware of houeland's data dump of course). My own efforts at google searching have provided no results, but then Google is quite useless these days.

Yeah, useless. It can only find things on the internet.

Anyone got tips what to do next? My current to-do list as a human fighter is:
Going into Terinyo, getting the Mad Carpenter Quest from Rynt.
Going to the bandit village, checking store, learning pickpocketing.
From here on I start pickpocketing and saving for the Detect Traps skill (3000 gold?).
Complete Mad Carpenter Quest.
After that I'll (if things go right) have the pickpocketing skill, the healing skill, the bridge building skill, the other MC Quest rewards, some good starting equipment and a N+ character around level arond ten.

Doalag
04-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Gut with the few more hints you provided about the monster list I only found a possible name (Markku Rikola) but this guy stopped activity a long time ago. I also found an url (http://norssi.oulu.fi/~mrikola/adom/) but it's a dead link.

Am I hot or cold? Any other hints? :D

spectre
04-15-2008, 09:34 PM
Anyone got tips what to do next? My current to-do list as a human fighter is:
Going into Terinyo, getting the Mad Carpenter Quest from Rynt.
Going to the bandit village, checking store, learning pickpocketing.
From here on I start pickpocketing and saving for the Detect Traps skill (3000 gold?).
Complete Mad Carpenter Quest.
After that I'll (if things go right) have the pickpocketing skill, the healing skill, the bridge building skill, the other MC Quest rewards, some good starting equipment and a N+ character around level arond ten.

Owright, in between learning pickpocket and saving for DT:

Doing the raider lord quest (sheriff in terinyo) is good to make the wait for the dough for detect traps less painful. You have to do it before hitting level 6.
Alternatively, cruise around in ID (levels 5-6) for the cash.

If still low level, visit the SMC for the waterproof blanket.
When you hit level 3-4 start thinking about getting out (arbitrary, depends on wether you want the raider quest).
You may want to try to avoid killing to much and getting into a tight spot.
Even visiting it at level 1 and leaving immediately can be useful.
Also, If you don't get the blanket, just locating the stairs down will be good for the future.
If you are literate, funk about for some time there and train it by reading the two scrolls you find there over and over. They don't work outside.

If you're already past that, however:
After leaving the Carpenter dungeon, go for the puppy cave (available @ tiny girl in Terinyo). Even if you do not want to complete the quest, the cave generates a guaranteed vault, and on the whole has higher chances to generate goodies (herbs, altars, shops, royal vaults).

Afterwards you're good for Caverns of Chaos. Or the pyramid, unfortunately I don't have too much experience in meeleing the pyramid.

gut
04-16-2008, 12:30 AM
There is already a copy of all monsters and
their descriptions on your own hard drive.
They are in the Adom executable. They are
not even encrypted, but written out in plain
english. Are you all so L that you haven't
even loaded you executable into a text editor? : )
I don't think that constitutes code-diving, you
are just reading the text. To me it's N at worst.

To help a bit, I loaded my own, and searched
a few seconds. I found the text string where
the monster descriptions start, here it is:

'A deadly giant insect of utter blackness that attacks with'

This is a description of a killer bug. The monster
title will be listed after the description. Gosh,
that really took me back : )

Chaine
04-16-2008, 08:05 PM
Owright, in between learning pickpocket and saving for DT:

Doing the raider lord quest (sheriff in terinyo) is good to make the wait for the dough for detect traps less painful. You have to do it before hitting level 6.
Alternatively, cruise around in ID (levels 5-6) for the cash.

If still low level, visit the SMC for the waterproof blanket.
When you hit level 3-4 start thinking about getting out (arbitrary, depends on wether you want the raider quest).
You may want to try to avoid killing to much and getting into a tight spot.
Even visiting it at level 1 and leaving immediately can be useful.
Also, If you don't get the blanket, just locating the stairs down will be good for the future.
If you are literate, funk about for some time there and train it by reading the two scrolls you find there over and over. They don't work outside.

If you're already past that, however:
After leaving the Carpenter dungeon, go for the puppy cave (available @ tiny girl in Terinyo). Even if you do not want to complete the quest, the cave generates a guaranteed vault, and on the whole has higher chances to generate goodies (herbs, altars, shops, royal vaults).

Afterwards you're good for Caverns of Chaos. Or the pyramid, unfortunately I don't have too much experience in meeleing the pyramid.
That Keethrax (the bandit leaders name if I don't remember it all wrong) Quest should be the first you do? How the heck is that supposed to work, in the beginning of the game you don't have either the skill or cash enough to stay alive long enough to generate more than one-two wilderness encounters as far as I know.
By the way how quick does literacy increase when reading those two scrolls? Can't go fast, right?

spectre
04-17-2008, 10:23 PM
Kranach, Keethrax is the black druid, the quest you get off Terinyo Druid.

Yes, it is a hard encounter, there's a limit, you have to be below level 6, which is where your first class power activates. It can also take days to find them, that's another bad thing.
Mostly I do it for the alignment boost for my C characters, the money comes second (money is an issue only to a certain point in the game, but it helps in the early game nonetheless).

It's not like you must do it (unlike the quest for healing), it is simply useful. I would skip it if playing a merchant or a farmer, or other characters who are really frail at the beginning.

"By the way how quick does literacy increase when reading those two scrolls? Can't go fast, right?"

To be honest, it's rather slow. And it seems you can't read the same thing over and over like 100 times and get many increases later.
I'm usually doing something like this: I enter the room, kill stuff, read one of these scrolls, then the other one, repeat it one or two more times, proceed to the other room. The results won't be close to spectacular, but it's ADOM, every little bit helps.

Chaine
04-18-2008, 09:14 PM
"Uncursed rusty black dragon-hide gauntlets (-2, +0) [+0, -1]", would theese had been any good if it wasn't for the rust (which can be removed with rust removal?)? Had another Grey Elf Priest death, he was doing just fine and had learned 7 (new record) spells but eventually starved (I'm really used to classes with food preservation, it seems).

Kato
04-18-2008, 09:43 PM
Those aren't too bad. Black dragon gauntlets give you protection from acid.

I have a question for everyone. After you use one carrot room...will you ever find another?

Doalag
04-18-2008, 09:55 PM
I believed I got 2 in one game, BUT I also suspect I confused between 2 games.

gut
04-19-2008, 02:38 AM
Chaine:
> "Uncursed rusty black dragon-hide gauntlets (-2, +0) [+0, -1]",
> would theese had been any good

They are made of iron, so they can be smithed up.
That would be for later though. There are a lot
of requirements for smithing. I think they are
worth packing around in case you need a quick
source of acid resistance.

Chaine:
> Had another Grey Elf Priest death, he was doing just fine and
> had learned 7 (new record)

Have you considered exploiting the ID for books.
Climbing up and down the stairs between levels
1 and 2 will net many spellbooks, and really give
spellcasters an early edge. Food and other items
are also abundant with 'ID scumming', you should
not want for food after a stairclimbing session.

Once you have found a few offensive spellbooks,
consider clearing the BUGWIL for extra exp. levels.
Actually, you should practise that with a few
'throw away wizards' first, so as to give your
real PC a good shot.

I had recorded (a while back) a demo of how to
do the BUGWIL safely, with an exp. level 1 wizard.
If you watch it, and practice a few times, you
should be able to pull it off safely. Here is the
link to the file, (I hope it still works).

http://hyperfileshare.com/d/c3baaeda
This link no longer works, I will record another
(better) one and post it in a little while.

Here is the new demo. I was meaning to record
a better one, one of these anyway. The last one
showed only how to clear the BUGWIL to the
stairs. This one shows how to clear the entire
BUGWIL. It usually gets your PC to exp. level 13,
but you can get to 14 or more if you don't mind
doing it while strained and bloated. The demo
is only about 350 K and runs a bit over 15
minutes.

http://hyperfileshare.com/d/a3497656

Kato:
> After you use one carrot room...will you ever find another?

Yep, if you look long enough. The ID is a good
place to look for carrot rooms. Actually, the
room effects are (I think) all beneficial, for a
PC like a gray elf wizard. The 'library' room
effect drains St, and puts it into Le. The mirror
room gives +1 to Ch, if your Ap is over 20 (for
a gray elf, it almost always is). The carrot
room gives +5 to Pe, if you have carrot juice.
The 'mud bath' rooms give +1 to Ap.

Are there ANY negative room effects for a gray
elf wizard?

Kato
04-19-2008, 02:54 AM
Yes. I ran in to a room where all the mirrors were there and they all shattered. It lowered my charisma by one. lol.

Question...when you all mention stairclimbing...are you exploring that whole floor or just going up and seeing what is in the first room each time you generate a new one?

gut
04-19-2008, 03:41 AM
> Yes. I ran in to a room where all the mirrors were there and they all
> shattered. It lowered my charisma by one. lol.

I thought it gave -1 to Pe. That was because your Ap
was lower than 20. Had your Ap been 20, you would
have gotten +1 to Ch (I think).

> Question...when you all mention stairclimbing

I was reffering to 'ID scumming'. That is when you
climb the stairs, pick up any interesting items in
sight, climb again, and repeat. This is an effective
(and pretty cheap) way of generating hordes of
items. Most players that have a few wins under
their belt stop exploiting this feature, as it is
very powerful. These days, I only 'ID scum' if
I am doing a specific challenge game, and need
an item (or items) very quickly.

Kato
04-19-2008, 04:41 AM
> Yes. I ran in to a room where all the mirrors were there and they all
> shattered. It lowered my charisma by one. lol.

I thought it gave -1 to Pe. That was because your Ap
was lower than 20. Had your Ap been 20, you would
have gotten +1 to Ch (I think).

> Question...when you all mention stairclimbing

I was reffering to 'ID scumming'. That is when you
climb the stairs, pick up any interesting items in
sight, climb again, and repeat. This is an effective
(and pretty cheap) way of generating hordes of
items. Most players that have a few wins under
their belt stop exploiting this feature, as it is
very powerful. These days, I only 'ID scum' if
I am doing a specific challenge game, and need
an item (or items) very quickly.

Yeah...you are right. It was -1 to PE. And my AP was below 20 cause of the mummy wrappings I am wearing.

That's really that powerful? I thought you had to at least search the level out to find the stuff...but just going up and down like that and snagging the stuff in that room? I've never tried that before...

Elone
04-19-2008, 11:28 AM
I never scummed the ID. It never seemed powerful enough, since there's usually 6-10 rooms per level, plus the hallways, and you miss out on stuff... Plus, my Wizards seem to get 3-4x more spellbooks than, say, a Priest (similar to Chaine, I play Grey Elf Priests at times).

I will have to try it, since it's one of things that I havent tried yet. Will it be effective even on levels like ID45, which I am currently on? I had this Priestess finish a NE so there's no corruption anymore, plus I'm a TANK with all stats trained to 99 (it took some effort, but i started early, and i exploited the dragongold thingy, to train at garth) and the ToTRR (which can easily be done even after NE is finished, and is well-worth it) and the main reasons that I'm on ID45 (and going deeper) are the challenge and the items.

Off to try - which doesnt mean that I wont be checking back here. Wish me luck!

Chaine
04-19-2008, 11:47 AM
What's BUGWIL?
I'm going to add trying to go for the waterproof blanket to my to-do list, but when should I go to ID if I'm playing a priest? Before the Mad Carpenter quest, I'd guess?
Anyhow I'm currently trying human fighters with dragon/sword, high elf archers with raven, grey elf priests with wand and troll beastfighters with the candle. I hope to make a new high-score today.

spectre
04-19-2008, 12:46 PM
"What's BUGWIL?"
The bug-infested temple. You'll find it in the wilderness.

"but when should I go to ID if I'm playing a priest? Before the Mad Carpenter quest, I'd guess?"
My guess is, go for ID whenever you feel unsure if your equipment is good enough, or when you feel like gaining a level or two.

gut
04-19-2008, 06:25 PM
Elone:
> I never scummed the ID. It never seemed powerful
> enough, since there's usually 6-10 rooms per level,
> plus the hallways, and you miss out on stuff...

True enough, you do miss out on the unexplored level.
The theory is, that you generate a higher quantity of
items by stairclimbing. That means you increase your
probability of finding the good stuff, in a turn
efficient way. Think about it, when you generate one
room per step, it doesn't take long to generate a horde
of items.

There is a trick to navagating into/out of the ID
pretty quickly. There are some room arrangements that
have a high probability of the other staircase being
nearby, here are a few examples:

A room like this, located in the upper left, or
right hand corner will have a high probability of
leading directly to a down staircase.

########
#......#
#.<....#
#......#
#.######
#.#
#+#

Same thing for a room like this, in the lower left,
or right hand corner.

#+#
#.######
#......#
#....<.#
#......#
########

Rooms like this, that lead directly to any corner,
also have a rather high probability of leading
straight to a down staircase.

##########
+........#
##....<..#
#.......#
#########

By repeatedly climbing up and down, keeping an
eye out for rooms like these, you can quickly
ascend and descend in the ID. This gives minimal
risk of running afoul of traps and such. It is
also more turn efficient, for those who care
for such things : )

Chaine:
> What's BUGWIL?

BUGWIL is a bright green asterisk on the wilderness
map. It is located to the west, just a bit past
the Mad Minstrel's clearing. You need to have at
least 100 dead PC's to enter it, otherwise you will
be turned away.

> but when should I go to ID if I'm playing a priest?

I really don't think that there is an established
'best way' to procede throught the game. I personally
skip all of the Terinyo quests every game, and do the
BUGWIL first thing. I hardly ever play characters that
start the game without the healing skill. I just don't
enjoy doing the healing quest. If I take a notion to
play a PC that needs the healing skill, I get it in
the chaos way, it's just faster.

The lower levels of the ID are some of the safest
places in the game, so you can feel pretty safe there
even at exp. level 1. Occasionally, out of depth
monsters can be generated there, but it's rare.
The main benefit of the ID for spellcasters, is the
abundance of spellbooks you will find.

Nezur
04-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Chaine:
> What's BUGWIL?

BUGWIL is a bright green asterisk on the wilderness
map. It is located to the west, just a bit past
the Mad Minstrel's clearing. You need to have at
least 100 dead PC's to enter it, otherwise you will
be turned away.

You must have generated 100 characters. They don't have to be dead.

In fact there is a much easier way to access the temple if you don't feel like generating dozens of characters.

Open the adom.cnt (presumably cnt = count) file in your adom_dat directory with a text editor. Replace the stuff you see with four spaces (without the quotation marks):
" " After that you should be able to enter the wilderness square.

I played ADOM a long time using a different computer on which I had generated over 100 characters. The computer is rather hard to access so I started looking for other means.

Elone
04-19-2008, 09:14 PM
There is a trick to navagating into/out of the ID
pretty quickly. There are some room arrangements that
have a high probability of the other staircase being
nearby, here are a few examples.

Nice, gut. Yeah, I kind of knew that already. It's... It's things that you learn over time. I can appear in a level, and I can tell if stairs are next to me or not. Still, thank you - it's nice to know that even raw experience can pay off.

Nezur, this is nice to know! I'll try it out once I'm NOT in ID690, I guess. It's nice to know the trick, but now that I do, I dont see what I'd do there... other than taming a pet berserker bug whose numerous fierce bleeding piercing attacks have no difficulty cutting anything from a goblin to emperor moloch.

Nezur
04-19-2008, 09:33 PM
Nezur, this is nice to know! I'll try it out once I'm NOT in ID690, I guess. It's nice to know the trick, but now that I do, I dont see what I'd do there... other than taming a pet berserker bug whose numerous fierce bleeding piercing attacks have no difficulty cutting anything from a goblin to emperor moloch.

I forgot to mention - only characters created after tweaking the file will be able to access the temple. The count for generated characters is saved for each new game.

Chaine
04-19-2008, 09:43 PM
It's goblin day today? Or something? Suddenly RNG floods my dungeons with goblins.

gut
04-20-2008, 03:46 AM
Nezur:
> In fact there is a much easier way to access
> the temple if you don't feel like generating
> dozens of characters.

I have read about that trick before, but it
makes me a bit... uneasy. It seems to me that
editing one of the external files, just takes
me back to the days when I would walk around
wearing two Rings of the Master Cat : )

Elone:
> Nice, gut. Yeah, I kind of knew that already.
> It's... It's things that you learn over time.
> I can appear in a level, and I can tell if
> stairs are next to me or not.

Didn't mean to offend : )

The map layout examples were there only for
the sake of completion, the post might be
read by less experienced players too.

Actually, I was really meaning to point out
the handy combination of ID stairhopping along
with stair proximity. I thought you might not
have considered that because of:

> I never scummed the ID. It never seemed
> powerful enough,

Elone
04-20-2008, 06:00 AM
Back in those times, it was possible to duplicate items (and stacks of items) anywhere. You could also drop items on ground and do a trick or two to have another of your characters pick it up; and the only prerequisite was that you use a guaranteed area for that. Terinyo made perfect.

You could duplicate up to 400-500 rings of wish, and give them to any character that's starting out. You could duplicate artefacts. It was easy to feed the ratling. Also, did you ever dualwield Needle and Needle?

gut
04-20-2008, 07:38 AM
> and the only prerequisite was that you use a
> guaranteed area for that. Terinyo made perfect.

My personal favorite was the PC, complete with
a pool and a Margoyle for first kill ; )

> did you ever dualwield Needle and Needle?

Seems like something I would have done!
If I did, it was so long ago, I no longer
remember the effects.

Doalag
04-20-2008, 11:25 AM
The adom.cnt file seems to not exist in the OSX version. Anyway to open the bugs temple it's easy, just create one character with a name like Zzzz, then save. Then go in save folder of ADOM and there :
- Command-Shit-N => Creates a new folder.
- Drag the save of Zzzz and open the new folder
- Then Command-A and Command-D 7 times

You have now more than 100 saves so just drag them in the save folder and start a new game and you'll have access to the bugs temple.

Chaine
04-20-2008, 12:46 PM
I don't have the Shit button :(

Doalag
04-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Ha ha ha! Very funny! :D

Silfir
04-20-2008, 06:21 PM
I refuse to call the button anything but the shit button from this day on...

Doalag
04-20-2008, 10:01 PM
Common make some joking upon my back! Now the first who never made any typo should throw the first rock! :D

warheart
04-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Actually is quite interesting to know that things about editing the .cnt to enter bugwil. I've never been able to enter that damned place because my hard drive is fucked up and sometimes it start doing some strange noises and freezes, so I have to reset computer. If that happens when I'm playing ADOM, not only I lose my character but it closes as soon as I open it, so I have to delete the folder and install it again. Since this happen quite often, it's not easy at all to get 100 dead characters :P

Elone
04-21-2008, 01:23 AM
What's with all this foul language? Typo is a typo, but you're still clinging onto it. It must be trendy these days. Sheesh.

gut
04-21-2008, 01:45 AM
> If that happens when I'm playing ADOM, not only I lose my
> character but it closes as soon as I open it, so I have to
> delete the folder and install it again.

Are you sure that deleting the adom.prc file isn't enough?

Elone
04-21-2008, 02:30 AM
Well-noticed, gut! The PRC file is there to ensure that you are not running two ADOM instances at once, but that's it. Delete that file whenever you restart your PC after a freeze. Likewise, if you end ADOM via Task Manager, the file also remains. If you want to start your ADOM again, just delete that file. Optionally delete everything from temp_dat. Temp_dat still holds your character, but in an exapanded state. I dont know if you can recover your character from it, so keep regular backups instead.

warheart
04-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Oh, thx, I'll try that next time this happens. The chars are lost however, that's why I'm forced to save backups often.