PDA

View Full Version : Enchantment effects?

Ter13
04-11-2008, 07:41 PM
I've got a large ring and amulet collection on my current fighter character (I'm DETERMINED to win the game with a fighter for once).

I really have absolutely no idea what a couple of potions and amulets and rings do. I Picked up this Onyx ring, which is a ring of damage. I assume it gives me a bonus to damage, if so, how effective is it?

I also found a potion of exchange, but it's cursed, so I have no will to drink it until I get it uncursed (should be soon, just gotta go farm some potions of water). What does it do?

I also got a ring of searching (two, actually)... I figure it gives me a bonus to searching, how effective again?

And I picked up a good bunch of underwater breathing stuff, but I have no waterproof blanket, as it caught fire in a trap. >_<

By the way, is there any way I can protect my items from corrosion/shattering?

I've lost two good pair of boots to kicking ochre jellies to death, two sets of armor to rust beasts, and enough helmets and gauntlets to sustain an army of rust beasts because of being stunned near water.

As for smithing, is the skill even worth it? I had a pickaxe until it went the way of my blanket, but I only used it to mine shortcuts through walls. I noticed my character getting really hungry while mining, and the chance of finding metals really low. I have just taken to inviso/stealthing around levels with ants in them to get most of my metals. (Of course, this has become less and less promising recently, as the entire level is pretty much mined out.) That, and my wands of digging are all pretty much shot.

Also, I'm sick to death of carrying rations, and of munching on raw goblin and canines. (I ate a bear the other day, made me feel like a real man.) I REALLY could use an item or spell that either A) can create food, or B) can sustain me much longer. --And I don't want to be a troll. Is there even one in the game? I just wish my Sis were edible. I need some Si biscuits or pie, because this lugging masses of food around with me is getting crazy old. Maybe some lembas? ANYTHING?

Pustka
04-12-2008, 12:34 AM
people do get lazy these days :P so lets see...

ring of damage is good. blessed even better. it gives some &#37; bonus to damage so if u have more damage it gives bigger bonus. at some point becoming better than ring of slaying.

dont drink potion of exchange. it randomly mixes ur stats. (cursed stats -x. uncursed stats. blessed stats +x) x was about 3 check the guidbook. better use for it is blessing it and dipping stacks of rings in it to change them into other rings which eventualy leads to RoDS.

never bothered to use rings of searching xD blessed ring of ice under an artifact gauntlets will protect ur stuff from every fire and explosion.

about orche jellys. use stone, skull etc. weapons on them ;>

as for food use cooked lizardes bought from traders at arena and occasionaly HMV. and gather stomafillia with herbalism :)

spectre
04-12-2008, 03:17 AM
"Also, I'm sick to death of carrying rations, and of munching on raw goblin and canines."
As suggested. Cooked Lizard, Fried Bat works, blessed Stomafillia herb is even better.

"As for smithing, is the skill even worth it?"
An emphatic *yes* from me, if you manage to meet all the basic requirements for it (anvil and forge).
You can use it on your broken and rusty items to fix them. You can also improve your items, but if not a weaponsmith, scrolls should work for you the best.

"dont drink potion of exchange. it randomly mixes ur stats."
Or, on the other hand, do. If you have a steady source of herbs that can increase some of your stats to ~25, swapping them around may be actually worthwile.

"is there any way I can protect my items from corrosion/shattering?"
Corrosion, as in rusting due to water, can be prevented by dipping an item into a blessed oil of rust removal. AS to destrution, blessing helps a tiny bit, but on the whole, having lots of items in your inventory works as well, as items to be torn apart (like when a trap explodesin your face) are chosen at random.
Depending on what caused the destruction, some blankets might help.

As to Ochre Jellies, artifacts are immune to destruction as well. If desperate, you can wield the Si as a weapon (and I'm sure you have alternatives at hand). Missle weapons and wands work on them as well.

"I assume it gives me a bonus to damage, if so, how effective is it?"
Hmmm... how about putting it on and looking what diest it chage? Not that it costs anything?
Similarly, the ring of searching. It doest its shtick as advertised, but wether it is 50% 150% or 12% I can;t really tell.

Doalag
04-12-2008, 03:25 AM
About the ring of searching the guidebook seems to say that at each step it's like if you used the search command.

Apart artifacts what type of weapon are immune against jelly/rust? I'm sure someone already said me... but I forgot and it's not a clear chapter in the guidebook.

EDIT : So about the ring of searching it is almost useless because you'll find almost nothing with only one search until your PE is quite high.

Elone
04-12-2008, 09:03 AM
Dig for ores in Infinite Dungeon; that way you dont ruin the whole level for nothing. Those lucky enough to have Food Preservation and Cooking will have no food problems (you should have seen the list of my food, it weighed about 40.000[s] before I next reached the surface to sell to Munxip). Rings of searching will actually help you, if you got nothing better, wear them. You will randomly walk past walls, and discover doors and traps that you would never think of. About the ring of damage, GB said that it has 6/3/1 bonus to damage when on right hand, and 3/2/1 when on left hand. I'll put one on to see if it's true.

I went to test it, I realised that I threw it away sometime earlier. I was cleaning my pack, now it only has about 80-90 items.

Siriah
04-12-2008, 09:22 AM
Apart artifacts what type of weapon are immune against jelly/rust? I'm sure someone already said me... but I forgot and it's not a clear chapter in the guidebook.

Anything made of mithril or higher won't rust. Stone weapons and probably eternium are immune to both rust and jellies.

Grey
04-12-2008, 09:26 AM
Ring of searching can be very handy if you have the Detect Traps skill at a high level. Every time you make a step it'll search for traps. With high DT skill you'll have a good chance of finding any that are there, thus avoiding stepping on them and losing equipment etc. Thieves get this as their level 6 power in fact, and coupled with Alertness it makes them almost immune to traps.

Doalag
04-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Ok I haven't tested a lot and my memory could not serve me well. I know, veteran playing this game since years should be right... but really I don't remember with a PE 40 which is quite high, that one search is enough to find trap (without Alertness skill) and even that 3 search ensure a high probability you found the trap.

If you walk normally to explore new stuff you'll have squares you search only once, other 3 times.

Are you sure that the ring provides the same immunity than the thieve power?

Elone
04-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Bah, this is an arguable topic. Alertness itself ONLY helps you evade a trap once you step onto it, so Alertness gets only one chance to help you: when you step onto the trap itself. Detect Trap skill will activate itself only when you Search. With a ring of searching, you'll have a constant search, one per turn, BUT!! It has not been found out if a blessed ring of searching searches more than just once.

I adamantly claim that with a ring of searching, or two, preferably blessed, (with detect traps and alertness at 100) land traps will stop being a problem. Door draps can still blast your pieces and remains all over both planes of Law and Chaos (trust me, it works like that).

Doalag
04-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Well, I insist, ok pratical question: No alertness, a non thieve low level character with PE 35 wears those rings and then wanderer the pyramids and the dwarf cemetery, even with a good PE like 25 he will get there almost immune to traps?