PDA

View Full Version : Mana Temple help

Worst Player... ever
04-11-2008, 11:22 PM
I just got to the mana temple for the first time with a level 40 Necromancer, and got *utterly* destroyed. Seriously, how do you beat that? It's harder than all of the other temples put together. I was wearing the crown of leadership (blessed) a blessed ring of the clear mind, had a Wi of about 30, and was STILL getting confused on a regular basis. At no time was I in danger of having any spell points. I was killing 3 or 4 monsters a round for what felt like 20 rounds with a blessed wand of fireballs, and it didn't matter, because the chaos wizards were summoning monsters faster than I could kill them. I couldn't even blast a way back out of the room to run away. It was clearly hopeless... after 4 or 5 prayers I stopped bothering.

What I can't figure out are two things:

1. How do I take out the magebane eyes and magedoom eyes without the Chaos wizards going crazy and surrounding me with monsters?

2. How do I stop Nuurag-Varn from confusing me all the time?

Pustka
04-12-2008, 01:21 AM
anwser to both question = more willpower + acid ball ^.^

but seriously i dont remember how i did that with melee characters. prolly some slaying ammo. killing nurag and run away. for your necromancer acid ball and more willpower would work. so he would have to farm
!PoE. dip rings. get wishes. one wish for spellbooks rest for willpower ;> Willpower gets nice bonuses from wishing. about 4-8 if memory serves

Worst Player... ever
04-12-2008, 05:26 AM
Never mind... I just tried now with a melee character - a level 19 Trollish Monk. I play my characters on a rotational system so a death doesn't piss me off as much :)... it's moot now because I've only got one character left out of that mob, and he's about to enter D:49.

Anyway, the secret seems to be just staying in the corridor and whacking everything individually as it comes through, then when Nuurag-Varn walks through, back up and light him up with arrows. It was much easier the second time. Acid ball would probably work for a spellcaster, but it's so hard to keep power points around on that level! :-/

I've only got one character left now, so I don't have room for that kind of learning curve on D:50. I hope it goes smoothly! :eek:

Grey
04-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Yeah, luring Nuurgy out into the corridor and peppering him with humanoid slayers is the best tactic. Can take a bit of patience, but it's the surefire method.

For a spellcaster you should really have higher than 30 willpower by that stage in the game. You should naturally have 25 minimum from herbs, with additional sources like the water orb and the sword of nonnak pushing it higher. At Wi 32 your ball range increases to 2, and at Wi 48 it goes to range 3, which makes any temple easy to clear. Power points are tricky to keep - normally best to pray to have them restored and try to kill the eyes quickly, or stock up on lots of scrolls of power beforehand.

Best of luck with D50. It can be one helluva fight with a melee character.

Macros
04-12-2008, 09:04 AM
Best way to beat Nuurag(in my opinion):

-have Wi at least 40(25 base from herbs, +10 from water orb, +5 from sword of Nonnak)
-have resist on confusion(helm/ring of mental stability
-death ray resistance and see invisible(from ancient mummy wrapping)
-amulet of light
-lure him into a corridor
-throw potion of confusion(or blindness) at him
-use humanoid slaying arrows(or weapon with humanoid slaying), or just melee him with any other weapon(you will need good -to hit and -damage though).

1. How do I take out the magebane eyes and magedoom eyes without the Chaos wizards going crazy and surrounding me with monsters?

If you have enough Willpower(32+, or 48+) you can cast ball spells while standing near walls in outside of temple(mana draining eyes are always standing next to walls).

Orion
04-12-2008, 10:24 AM
With Monk, the Mana Temple was easy.
Two things that make it easy:
1) Monk can switch position with hostile monsters
2) Monk have circular kick

Elone
04-12-2008, 10:36 AM
You people seem to keep forgetting Garth's Overpowered Training Hall. By the time I got there, I had 1200hp and 150DV and I dont know how much, 50base Wi, I think. It gets easy to melee the place, just take an utter care about annihilators. As soon as they get into your range, get rid of them. As for PP, I realised that a single magedoom eye can drain me faster than my Concentration at 100 could regen it. Either you kill all eyes, or you forget about magic. I killed the guy relatively easy when he got into range, but stayed around to clear the rest of the temple. For pure fun. Just melee'd everything around myself til chaos wizards came into range. As they fell one by one, so did the number of summons decrease. It was indeed THE hardest place I encountered in my game, but was it hard? Not at all. My stats look a bit high for an average character? That's because someone who gets to Mana Temple has to rise above the average. Otherwise, it's a gamble if you will survive or not.

Worst Player... ever
04-12-2008, 05:18 PM

He won without any real problem. I forgot to mention I had Executor and a speed around 165 ;)

A troll isn't my usual style of character at all, but I won't be choosy for my first win. I actually think the advantage swings back to melee characters at the end game, because the only spells that affect a lot of those monsters are ball spells, which are expensive, you can't teleport on a lot of the levels, and a lot of the spells which are still useful can be duplicated with wands. On the other hand, for melee characters, no monster is immune to good old fashioned blunt-force trauma. :)

rmcin329
04-13-2008, 04:14 AM
On the other hand, for melee characters, no monster is immune to good old fashioned blunt-force trauma. :)

Heh when i first met steel golems they sure seemed immune to blunt force :p

Sradac
04-13-2008, 07:55 AM
Yeah, luring Nuurgy out into the corridor and peppering him with humanoid slayers is the best tactic. Can take a bit of patience, but it's the surefire method.

For a spellcaster you should really have higher than 30 willpower by that stage in the game. You should naturally have 25 minimum from herbs, with additional sources like the water orb and the sword of nonnak pushing it higher. At Wi 32 your ball range increases to 2, and at Wi 48 it goes to range 3, which makes any temple easy to clear. Power points are tricky to keep - normally best to pray to have them restored and try to kill the eyes quickly, or stock up on lots of scrolls of power beforehand.

wait...I thought it was Ma that affected ball range not Wi? I had a necro before with very high Ma as I avoided summoning lots of pets in the beginning, had a good range on his fireball. Then I got into some trouble in I think it was either the library (molochs) or maybe it was the air elemental temple but I summoned up a huge amount of pets so save myself and my range on my ball spell dropped tremendously. And creating slaves lowers the Ma stat.

Grey
04-13-2008, 09:54 AM
wait...I thought it was Ma that affected ball range not Wi? I had a necro before with very high Ma as I avoided summoning lots of pets in the beginning, had a good range on his fireball. Then I got into some trouble in I think it was either the library (molochs) or maybe it was the air elemental temple but I summoned up a huge amount of pets so save myself and my range on my ball spell dropped tremendously. And creating slaves lowers the Ma stat.

Nope, Ma doesn't make a difference. You must've done something to reduce your willpower for the ball range to drop.