PDA

View Full Version : Water...swimming help

Kato
04-11-2008, 10:33 PM
I have run in to an issue with a new wizard I am playing. I am trying to get down to Keethrax and kill him. But...on the 4th floor, it generated some water. A huge river through the middle of the dungeon. I don't have the swimming skill and I don't know if I have any potions of carrot juice to attempt to learn it either. I don't have means of Teleportation or even Teleportation control either. I'm stuck as I don't want to drown in the water :D.

I guess I do know the frost bolt spell...but short of that. Is there anything else that can be done?

Travis Prue
04-11-2008, 10:52 PM
not really. frost bolt is the best you can do in your position :D

Elone
04-12-2008, 08:50 AM
Use Frost Bolt. Leave equipment behind if neccessary. If you use magic, you dont need lots of equipment - knowledge of spells weighs 0[s]. Alternatively, feel very free to go to ID til you find potions of carrot juice. You'll need swimming sooner or later. Besides, ID will generate other good things for you.

Mad Minstrel
04-12-2008, 10:10 AM
If you have Wand of Trap Creation you can use it to create teleportation traps on both sides.

Doalag
04-12-2008, 10:19 AM
The trap thing is cool, even if he doesn't have teleport control. Is there anyway to trigger a trap when you aren't on its square? It's to trigger the trap when a pet is on it. :)

Elone
04-12-2008, 03:21 PM
Of course not. You ask for too much. However, pets dont get same bonuses like you do, on detecting traps. Try to order it into the trap a few times and it will work. Remember, even if you get your pet to activate the trap, it wont end up where you'd like it!

Edit: Actually, for pets, you should find a way to freeze the water. They dont have the carrying limit of 2000[s]

reich
04-12-2008, 07:15 PM
The 'kamikaze' option - just try to get through! You will be drowning every turn, but it can be done if you have about 50 max HP. Each turn of drowning deals about 15 points of damage, I think.

Try to choose a place where the river is just 3 squares wide. Pray to restore health if necessary.

gut
04-12-2008, 08:31 PM
There is a fine way to cross water without freezing it.
Well, not in the TotHK's, but that's the only place that
you really NEED to freeze it.

Go to the ID, and dive to levels 3 and 4. Just climb
the stairs, up and down, until a blink dog appears.
Name it, kill the BD's it summons, and eat a corpse.
You will need TP control sooner or later, so you
might as well get it as soon as you are strong enough
to handle a few BD's pounding on you.

Next, go to the VDDL. That's the second level of the
cave by the pyramid. There is a wand of teleportation
there, but you have to dig (or teleport) to it. To find
it's location, you will need a scroll of item detection, or
a scroll of magic mapping. You can use the teleportation
traps on the level, to zip to the wand, and the staircase
by the wand to zip back.

To charge the wand, you can go to Lawenilothehl, give
~50 gp to beggars, and chat to them afterward. They
will sometimes drop cursed potions of booze, that are
good (VERY good if blessed first) for recharging wands.
Just dip the wand into the booze.

Now that you have TP and TP control, you have water
crossing ability, an emergency escape method, and the
ability to TP raid Darkforge for the weapons and armor.

Doalag
04-13-2008, 09:40 AM
For pets water crossing, teleporting is a painful solution but in emergency, patience and many spells it is working. Ice bridge is a much better solution, I should remind it, I already read about it but last time I forgot this possibility.

How long last an ice bridge?

reich
04-13-2008, 04:01 PM
How long last an ice bridge?

forever.

But I think you can melt it with fire bolts or explosions!

rmcin329
04-13-2008, 04:05 PM
yeah you can also break it by walking on it with too much weight.

Doalag
04-13-2008, 09:44 PM
Forever is nice for pets, too bad I haven't yet the ice spell. About the weight, the guidebook seems to mention 2000 stone of stuff worn/carried.

Starhawk
04-16-2008, 11:54 PM
Quicker than gunning for teleport control and a wand: You can adventure in the Infinite Dungeon until you find a spellbook of Frost Bolt. That's what I did last time water blocked me from Keethrax.

Shael
04-17-2008, 12:44 PM
Go to I to find some stuff.

Wands of frost
spell books of frost bolt / ice ball
if you want pets over the edge.

just your self, teleportis / control
you can use a trap stand in it and ctrl + t and you trigger trap you are standing in.
there is too ring of fish / helm of water breathing

if you have lots of gold you can give it to beggars who give you booze witch you can give to the fool who gives you random potiosn, if you get potions off carrot juice give it to bulb and she'll teach you how to swim

wishing for manual of bridge buildin might be one solution.

Doalag
04-17-2008, 08:22 PM
I recently found a frost bolt book, probably when gardening in big room. Before that I wanted explore a small vault with pets and used bridge building, well so many time lost, at least I could carry wood without problem because at that point I had an Atlas Book.

But ice bridge for pets and teleport for me will be perfect, almost, the only thing will be to take care when pets are on the ice bridge I won't be able go close to them for healing or something.

head2
04-20-2008, 04:27 AM
I don't know if I have any potions of carrot juice to attempt to learn it either.
What the heck? :eek:

Am i about to learn something new about this game?

Doalag
04-20-2008, 09:21 AM
I wonder what hint could make you guess the answer, anyway here the spoil : Give a blessed potion of carrot juice to the baby dragon in Terinyo, he should learn you the swimming skill. If that didn't work the first time, try again until you succeed.

Silfir
04-20-2008, 05:19 PM
The better the status of the potion, the higher the chance to get Swimming. You'll probably need three or four orange juice potions if they're cursed.