PDA

View Full Version : The ups and downs of pools

Starhawk
04-13-2008, 09:00 AM
So I am on a dwarven wizard kick, and decided to go straight to the UD since I start with Healing and Herbalism.

Lo and behold, on UD5 and UD6, I find pools. I get TWO WISHES from them!! AoLS and 7LB are mine, mine, mine!!

Chortling, I head to UD7... only to have the teleportitis I picked up from the pool kick in, and teleport me right into the middle of a greater vault... right next to an ogre lord. Who proceeds to ignore my desperate bolt spells and stomp me to death, twice.

*CRY*

Ars
04-13-2008, 10:52 AM
A greater vault at UD? I've never had those anywhere but deep in CoC...

Sradac
04-13-2008, 02:44 PM
i think some people refer to tension rooms as lesser vaults and lesser vaults as greater vaults. maybe they've never seen a greater vault before?

Mad Minstrel
04-13-2008, 05:09 PM
I'm not even sure if there are greater vaults with ogres (relatively weak monsters after all). There are GV with giants, but ogres? Anyway, I had a similiar situation once, when I stepped on a teleportation trap.

Doalag
04-14-2008, 08:54 PM
I wonder why people are using pool, they could get great stuff but also very boring one. Is there special method to remove the nasty things? For example praying will remove teleportesis? Or how manage persistent invisibility that brings many bad points?

Nezur
04-15-2008, 05:38 AM
I wonder why people are using pool, they could get great stuff but also very boring one. Is there special method to remove the nasty things? For example praying will remove teleportesis? Or how manage persistent invisibility that brings many bad points?

A lot of stuff can be reversed.

Pools don't grant teleportitis very often. Usually uncontrolled teleportation is fairly annoying but I've managed to cope with it quite well. Sometimes it in fact helps the PC to survive. Rivers can be crossed with it. Besides teleport control is fairly easily gained in the ID. Pools themselves may grant teleport control, and there are certain items that allow it.

Doalag
04-15-2008, 09:49 PM
First time I experimented a pool, I got teleportitis with no teleport control, it's a sort of end of game. A second time I got killed by some water snakes, a third time I got teleport control and teleportitis and it was annoying as hell.

I will never ever use a pool until I know a way to cure teleportitis and invisibility.

Nezur
04-16-2008, 05:39 AM
First time I experimented a pool, I got teleportitis with no teleport control, it's a sort of end of game. A second time I got killed by some water snakes, a third time I got teleport control and teleportitis and it was annoying as hell.

I will never ever use a pool until I know a way to cure teleportitis and invisibility.

I agree on the fact that you shouldn't drink from pools until you have completed the Arena due to the possibility of gaining intrinsic invisibility (and teleportitis).

Teleportitis on the other hand... I think it cannot be cured otherwise than drinking from pools and maybe with an item if I remember correctly. I don't actually find uncontrolled teleportation very annoying. I have actually sometimes eaten pixies in hopes of getting it if there's a chance that the corpse will rot away during the trip to Munxip (his shop can be used for preserving corpses forever). It may annoy a while but after you've got teleport control it's really useful. Besides if you stay on the first levels (1-9) of the ID until you find blink dogs the uncontrolled teleportation isn't that dangerous. It's true though that teleportitis can get you killed in the depths of the Caverns of Chaos for example. I advise against drinking from pools in isolated dangerous places until you've got teleport control.