PDA

View Full Version : Berzio potion and taming

Doalag
04-13-2008, 10:48 PM
Is anybody experiment a bit around Berzio potions and taming? It's one of the rumor, it could be wrong and could require some special thing. So if you have any advices to share they are welcome.

EDIT: I'd like to know how many potions are usually required, what type of monster can be tamed with that, is using calm spell before help or anything. If Borys the flesh golem bought can be retamed with that.

Elone
04-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Berzio potion wont tame creatures. It will make them non-hostile for a while. Soon enough they will become hostile again. It sounds like a nice idea, but I dont think that you can tame creatures with just that.

Doalag
04-14-2008, 06:54 PM
Ok thanks for the feedback, too bad if you are right, in the guide book I quote:

34. They say that Berzio potions are useful for taming monsters.

True.
Well that's ambiguous, calming is helpful for taming animals and the spell calm monster help. But taming monsters isn't possible. I'll try anyway but with more than one blessed potion ready. I'll try first on some animals.

Elone
04-15-2008, 11:20 AM
It MAY actually work on animals (and all creatures that can also be tamed by Music). Some creatures are not to be tamed. Even if the cookie message is ambigous, remember that GB says that it's STILL a brief effect. Even if you could tame a Greater Titan, he'd not be with you for too long. Unless you craft a Greater Titan figurine; I have a spare one, want it?

Macros
04-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Once I tried to tame doppelganger king with berzio potion. Response was "No, thanks. I already have one":). Of course it didn't worked. Still haven't figured out how they do exactly work(and I didn't even bothered to try).

Grey
04-15-2008, 04:54 PM
You have to throw the potion, not give it to them (and giving any kind of item to a doppelganger will net that response). I've never tamed anyone throwing berzio potions, but my guess would be that if it's going to work it'll only work on animals.

Doalag
04-15-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm afraid that you are right IF that works, this will work only with animals. But sometimes the game is surprising. For example I discovered something nobody ever care to test, some potions can rise the health level of your pets, for example blessed PoP ST and blessed PoP TO rise the hits level by 20. Not bad but take care you'll have to tame again the animal.

About Berzio potions, you can tame most animals with music. So the interest will be very limited if it is limited to animals, eventually will have some use for a character with no music skill. There's three animals I know that cannot be tamed by music or food, it's Fairy Dragon, Coocoon, Giant Raccoon. Perhaps Berzio potions will work on them, alas those pets are too weak to really worth the hassle.

In practice most animals aren't interesting to tame, after some play with pets, I got the conclusion that only few animals are interesting for the game beginning only. For the game beginning it's:
- Giant ant Queen,
- Cave Bear,
- Borys the flesh golem you can buy in HMV,
- Lightning Lizard.

A second class series for the game beginning is Karmic Lizard, Grizzly Bear, Cave Tiger. I won't bother on any other weaker animals. But eventually there's also two I haven't yet tested that could be interesting for the middle game beginning:
- Giant Boar
- Chaos Viper.

I doubt any other pets animals worth the hassle except for short time use. (EDIT : Forgot the greater and killer bugs)

About taming:
- I have some hope of taming metal golems with oil of rust removal! :D Not yet tested.
- There's also, for male characters only, to give a (blessed?) wedding ring to a berserker Lord/Prince/King perhaps even Emperor.
- Lord could worth it for the game beginning,
- Prince should be great for the game beginning,
- King could make it for the beginning of the middle game,
- Emperor, if possible to tame, should certainly be a good pet for the beginning of the middle game.
- There's in HMV, an adventurer that could join a non chaotic character, see guidebook for details. But it seems he won't join until a higher level, currently the lowest know level where he joined is 25.
- And obviously there are the stuff got from a blessed scroll of familiar summoning.
- Summon a djin from a djin ring would probably not worth it when you can get a wish instead.

EDIT : Damit I forgot the greater and killer bugs, there's special condition to get them, see the guidebook for details.

Doalag
04-15-2008, 09:02 PM
Elone, craft a figurine? You mean find? Yes I forgot those in the pet list I put above, but what you mean by crafting?

About limited taming time, it's certainly true for all classes but Bard and Farmer. For those last two, animals tamed with music or food never left them, those tamed with Berzio will probably do the same.

Is the comment you quoted was only about Berzio? It could about tamed stuff other than by bard/farmer. For other classes a tamed pet or for example the flesh golem bought in HMV, can left the character if the pet doesn't see him. But with a higher char, the chance is quite low and need more time so that happen. For example at this point, I never lost a flesh golem in this way but by testing it. Ok I haven't played so much.