PDA

View Full Version : A dream...ADOM on the DS

Kato
04-14-2008, 05:15 PM
I mean the Nintendo DS. It has enough buttons. 4 buttons, two shoulder buttons, start and select. Then you got the touchscreen. The two screens would make it real easy to handle all of the information that needs to be seen while playing. If someone was ever ingenious enough to do something like that...I would worship the ground they walk on. ahahaha

BowenTheKotoc
04-14-2008, 05:25 PM
Try the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games. They're basically rogue-likes designed for the DS. There are a few other titles out there, too, if you don't like the idea of playing Pokemon.

Grey
04-14-2008, 06:15 PM
There are no good roguelikes on the DS that I know of. I've tried some, and nothing comes anywhere near close to being as good as ADOM.

Nezur
04-14-2008, 08:15 PM
Nethack (http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=NetHack) has been ported for Nintendo DS. In fact there are at least two ports available.

Ter13
04-15-2008, 04:03 PM
I've got my Modded (G4 chip) DS, and I was working with it the other day using the "curses" emulation I found out on the web. I had a lot of fun trying to get a working roguelike movement/map system working. The really cool part is that the DS has two seperate processors running at any given time, one to control the top screen, and one to control the touch screen. The only major downside is the fact that the viewport is TINY. This isn't much of a problem if you know how to circumvent that, but on the overworld map it can be more problematic.

Chaine
04-15-2008, 05:38 PM
Ow. Ten buttons to do a hundred different actions? That is destinied to fail.

Doalag
04-15-2008, 07:34 PM
If I'm not wrong the number of one or two button action you can have is exactly 100. Not to mention that like the original game you can have intermediate states where a button has a different use then in another state.

Jeziah
05-12-2008, 08:46 PM
The DS has excellent touchscreen keyboard capabilities. more buttons than your average keyboard, easy to use, etc (move and throw could be with the regualr buttons, for ease and simplicity, but the 100+ other commands would be touch-keyboard). Furthermore, the touch screen has enough room to fit more than 2 keyboards- in other words, there will be enough room to display messages in a larger font, with touch scroll. I.e., ADOM+DS=BLESSED FORMULA OF POTENTIAL PWN.

Maul
05-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Jeziah: *stares at sig* And your appearance suddenly changed, didn't it?:p

Silfir
05-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Man, I've been struggling to find games worth buying for my DS. I was desperate enough to consider Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, but I'd have to either buy the German versions (which have German Pokemon names, which all suck donkey) or order an English one, and I don't want the game enough to go through that hassle.

In short, ADOM for DS would be a divine gift of gargantuan proportions. The shame is that The Creator probably won't do that port himself ever, and since he surely doesn't want to disclose the source for just any crazy DS freak, the chances are low that it happens.

I'd BUY ADOM DS. I'd spend 40 euros on it if I could. It would just be that awesome.

Smite
05-16-2008, 04:25 AM
I thought I was the only one who thought about an ADOM port to DS.

I totally agree - it would be awesome. I was considering contacting Nintendo to ask them what the deal is with DS programming/porting etc. But I would still have to ask the creator for his source code.

I don't think it would be a hard process it would just take a lot of time - the majority of the work would be re-mapping key commands to different spatial locations on the DS touch screen. But I was thinking that you could easily have command buttons which bring up sub-command menus - i.e. Handle Object: [sub-commands] - Eat, Drop, Pick-up, Read etc

Grey
05-16-2008, 08:46 AM
There are indie games on the DS, playable through unofficial means (you can get a special SD-card thing that plugs into the DS and you can have stores loads of games and music and such on it). I'd still prefer ADOM on a computer, especially for the sort of long play sessions it requires, but it would be quite cool on the DS still. I played a Japanese roguelike on the DS called Izuna and it was just awful incomparison :(

Kato
05-16-2008, 03:01 PM
There is a pretty good roguelike on the DS now...it's called Mystery Dungeon: Shiren The Wanderer. I've been hearing that's it's actually pretty darn good. I might have to try and locate it and check it out sometime.