PDA

View Full Version : ...More Role Playing...

Petra
04-19-2008, 02:06 AM
I've been playing ADOM for years and to be honest, despite the combat and story, I think it needs a little extra something. Lets face it: walking through the wilderness is boring. You either go from point A to point B, get attacked by a horde of jackals, or starve to death. Walking through town is rather the same.

So I propose a solution to the problem. Random role playing oppurtunities that pop up randomly through out the game.

For example, while walking through a city:

A beggar approaches you, begging for money. "Please mi'lord.... some money." He says, holding out a knarled and deformed hand. His clothes are torn and baggy... "I have not eaten today!"

A) Give him money.
B) Refuse.
C) Ignore him and keep walking. D) Mock his plight.
E) Give him a ration.
F) Kill him.

Or walking through the dungeon.

You approach a group of well armed ratling guards. The leader squeaks: "Halt! You must pay a toll to pass!" They looked heavily armed...

A) Take them on!
B) Turn around and wait for them to pass.
C) Pay the toll.
D) Talk your way out.

Of course each option could lead to other options. Naturally every action would have an appropriate reaction, such as getting a small amount of XP or gold. Or summon very hostile guards. Alignment changes could be influenced in such a fashion, saving unnecessary tedium from changing alignments. Wanna be lawful? Act lawful. Wanna be chaotic? Kill everything and steal and cheat and burn and rape and pillage and extort.

The possibilities are _endless_.

Elone
04-19-2008, 02:37 AM
I walked thru a city, not much to tell, then someone pulled my sleeve. I encountered a weak being dressed in rags, asking politely but desperately.

I gave that beggar some money, because that's what he asked for. He seemed thankful, but you cant see much on a pained face. Having already more than enough, I handed him a bit more. This time the beggar sincerely and obviously lightened up. I kept walking after that.

I stepped into a dark and dusty dungeon, that served as an underground alternative to a mountain passage between two areas. I found a tidy section that had a few tables and jars spread around. Ratling brigands camped there; they saw me and asked me to pay a toll. They are well-armed, but so am I. They are numerous, but I'm a strong girl, too. I reach 4-5 handles of my favourite weapons over my shoulder, and pick one with which to slaughter each that refuses to surrender.

While walking thru the remainder of the corridor, I had a thought on my mind. Beggar asked and got what he needed, and brigands demanded and got what they deserved. Sunlight pretty-much jerked me out of my daydreams, and I entered an overworld map called The Forums.

I soon found a creature called Petra. This creature seemed rather nice. It was a humanoid, but its gender, looks and age were hidden under a hooded cloak. I cannot look under its cloak to find out, but I can politely ask.

I have noticed that Petra has only 4 experience in the land of The Forums, compared to my current 62.

"Hello there! I'm Elone, a lady warrior. They say that I'm as skilled as a senior, but I only am 21 years old. It's never too early to start adventuring, huh? What can you tell me about yourself? Where are you going, what will you do next?"

I said all that, and waited for response. In the meantime, this introduction seems to have brought me yet another experience point. I sat on the ground and yawned, deciding to take a rest until Petra stops meditating and feels eager to talk.

reich
04-19-2008, 12:45 PM
So I propose a solution to the problem. Random role playing oppurtunities that pop up randomly through out the game.

For example, while walking through a city:

A beggar approaches you, begging for money. "Please mi'lord.... some money." He says, holding out a knarled and deformed hand. His clothes are torn and baggy... "I have not eaten today!"

A) Give him money.
B) Refuse.
C) Ignore him and keep walking. D) Mock his plight.
E) Give him a ration.
F) Kill him.

But I can do all those things using normal interaction elements:
'g'ive him either money or food (or booze :D)
just move along or attack him the usual way
[maybe mock or intimidate him using the announced social skills ;)]

Do I really need a separate interface for this? No.:cool:

Or I just prefer old-school hack'n'slashin' to role-playing!:p

Pustka
04-19-2008, 01:58 PM
Thomas already mentiond something about implementing chat-trees for NPC's and that he doesnt know yet how far he wants to take it. so have some patience lads :cool:

Chaine
04-19-2008, 09:56 PM
ADoM ain't a talkin' game, it's made fer BASHIN!
You can already give stuff to people, and random long messages would just bog the game down.

Sradac
04-20-2008, 12:02 AM
those sound alot like what was done in both arcanum and fallout. SOmetimes I felt those games were a bit TOO much focused on dialogue and the combat system was pretty slow in them but were none-theless great games.

reich
04-20-2008, 12:48 AM
arcanum and fallout. SOmetimes I felt those games were a bit TOO much focused on dialogue

ehm... did you play Planescape:Torment? :)

Pustka
04-20-2008, 10:24 AM
ADoM ain't a talkin' game, it's made fer BASHIN!
You can already give stuff to people, and random long messages would just bog the game down.

for bashin go play diablo :p

Petra
04-20-2008, 04:37 PM
Has anyone ever played Shadowrun for the Sega Genesis?

I'm thinking something along the lines of prompts that pop up with various situations.
It's very fluid in that game...

Manu
04-23-2008, 11:06 AM
I think you have to consider that roguelikes are not like other RPG games in this regard. In a game you're going to play hundreds of times this sort of thing will get tedious. It would be fun the first (few) times it shows up, but being asked, for the 100th time what I want to do with the beggar would either lead me to curse the inclusion of this feature, or more likely just pick what I knew up front would lead to the reward I needed at the time without it leading to more immersion on my part.

M_bowwarrior
04-23-2008, 08:56 PM
I think you have to consider that roguelikes are not like other RPG games in this regard. In a game you're going to play hundreds of times this sort of thing will get tedious. It would be fun the first (few) times it shows up, but being asked, for the 100th time what I want to do with the beggar would either lead me to curse the inclusion of this feature, or more likely just pick what I knew up front would lead to the reward I needed at the time without it leading to more immersion on my part.

I agree ! +1

reich
04-23-2008, 10:58 PM

I agree ! +1

to be honest, it's the same even about the opening question system; I always choose random stats anyway.

F50
04-24-2008, 12:17 AM
It is a good idea, but you should actually have to do the options instead of being given them in a list. The beggar can say "please give me some money" but you actually have to 'g'ive him a ration, gold, kill him, or mock his plight (give him what you know to be cursed food/equipment)

Elone
04-24-2008, 02:52 PM
Nice idea F50, but you could already do it all in ADOM as is. He asks for money/food in ADOM when you talk to him. Except that nothing changes if you give him cursed food, but give him poisonous and see what happens. You're about 6 years late with the idea, grats.

Ars
05-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Of course there can also be flavor messages that are generated when you walk past a beggar for example. "A beggar pleads for money". They'd be no more annoying than all the other messages there's tons of, like "you hear the cries of a large crowd" etc. This could also be used for more useful purposes, like guards saying "Halt right there!" when you go to a certain doorway, and attack if you still proceed.

Elone
05-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Yeah! You should finally be able to talk to others at a distance... and also be talked to, at times.

Ars
05-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Actually there are some lines like the ones I was thinking in ADOM already - Rehetep speaking when you enter the top floor of The Pyramid. Though actually I can't think of anything else at the moment...

And yes, speaking to someone not directly next to you would make life easier.

Covenant
06-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Actually there are some lines like the ones I was thinking in ADOM already - Rehetep speaking when you enter the top floor of The Pyramid. Though actually I can't think of anything else at the moment...

And yes, speaking to someone not directly next to you would make life easier.

Another example could be (though it's kind of different) picking up the Water Dragon's loot. And...

Does anyone else think it would be ten types of awesome if upon entering the pyramid you hear the disembodied voice of Rehetep saying 'Stay a while... Stay forever!'?