PDA

View Full Version : 3D interface like Tower

Licaon_Kter
04-26-2008, 02:09 PM
I bet that many roguelike player know about Tower (http://tower.sourceforge.net/), a roguelike written in Java+OpenGL under the GPLv2 licence.

Any idea if such improvements ( at least in my opinion ) like the 3D isometric view, dynamic combat animations, popup messages, sound effects for combat, ect could be used/implemeted/plugged-in JADE in the future?

10x

Tannis
04-26-2008, 03:03 PM
I bet that many roguelike player know about Tower (http://tower.sourceforge.net/), a roguelike written in Java+OpenGL under the GPLv2 licence.

Any idea if such improvements ( at least in my opinion ) like the 3D isometric view, dynamic combat animations, popup messages, sound effects for combat, ect could be used/implemeted/plugged-in JADE in the future?

10x

I could do with sound effects for special events and even snippets of music here and there, but the 3D isometric view and other visual aspects of Tower don't appeal to me at all.

Elone
04-26-2008, 03:28 PM
The first thought that crossed my mind was, "What the hell?"

When ADOM gains graphics, I'll stop playing. Now that you mention, I'd like some sound support (where we will be able to configure sounds that we want to hear). But I dont see that happening anytime soon, if ever.

I'm sorry, the idea is nice, but it's too soon to even think of it. JADE isnt even released to public yet; thinking about graphics will come much, much later.

Period.

Licaon_Kter
04-26-2008, 06:15 PM
I'm sorry, the idea is nice, but it's too soon to even think of it. JADE isnt even released to public yet; thinking about graphics will come much, much later. Period.later means more problems regarding the integration

as i said previously, some sort of plugin that could *display* the ADOM/JADE game world in 3D into Tower would be nice

reich
04-26-2008, 09:54 PM
Tower = novelty

If any, I'd rather see *real* graphics~.

spectre
04-27-2008, 01:56 AM
I remember playing a few Diablo clones, then ditching them saying, this is BS, good ole Adom's got more depth and actual content than this. Their only forte seems to be the gfx.

That said, giving adom some nice 3D, if only on par with Dungeon Siege, heck even Avernum, could, in theory, result in the ultimate game, yet I am against.
Simply because it feels 'right' the way it is now, perfectly readable and, most importantly, runs smooth.
The problem with graphics is that it gets outdated so easily, and people would always want more.
Also, with the number of items in Jade, it really is a Herculean task, of course I mean doing it good, in a way that does justice to the game's quality, not some silly tiles.

Grey
04-27-2008, 04:35 AM
Well, better to have no graphics than poor graphics in my opinion. What Tower has is mostly novelty, though it has some okay features. Overall it's extremely limited gameplay-wise compared with ADOM, and if that's because of more time going on its interface then its clear what I'd prefer.

Licaon_Kter
04-27-2008, 10:00 AM
you can switch to a "classic" RL view by pressing TAB anyway :P

i find those ASCII char's rendered in 3D prety spiffy as they're so close to the original
also the 3rd dimension add some gameplay features, like holes/pits/trenches and traps above

anyway this was not a "please add graphics to ADOM" thread, so please don't get me linched or anything :D
ok?

Silfir
04-30-2008, 11:48 AM
Awww, but I already have the burning torch and the pitchfork here...

Having graphics in JADE would be a bad move. The people who are interested in it have already shown that they care for excellent gameplay and well-made ASCII graphics, not for eye-candy. The additional work it would require would be an utter waste.