PDA

View Full Version : hi can anyone give me basic information about the game that i cannot figure out?

jewbnuts
04-28-2008, 02:57 PM
some of the things i would like to know how to do:
-is it possible to sell an item? if so can i sell to any merchant?(shop)

-i would also like to know how to taim an animal or pet? what kinds are worth trying to taim(just a few examples please) and what is required?or how to get any kind of ally.

how to learn to read?

whats the use of "recall monster memory"?

yeah.. thats about all i got.. im sure theres more.. but im not trying to bother anyone...

Jonas
04-28-2008, 03:17 PM
yes it is possible, but note that merchants will only buy what they sell, and some merchants dont buy anything at all, but you ar eguarenteed 2 merchants who will buy everything.

-i would also like to know how to taim an animal or pet? what kinds are worth trying to taim(just a few examples please) and what is required?or how to get any kind of ally.
Basically, only animals can be tamed by you, and without music I think that only cats can be tamed. However, reading a scroll of familiar summoning will also get you a companion, but you cant choose what type. hmmm, there may be other ways too, but idc if they completely tame them or no.

how to learn to read?
either start with 10+ learning (after the initial talent screen), complete a quest for the ancient dwarf, or eat certain corpses (dark sages work well if you dont have literacy)

So you can look and see what monsters hit and damage for, what their PV and DV are, what they are weak too, etc, but only if you know all that information before, basically useful if you let a character alone for a while and forget what certain mosters do.

Grey
04-28-2008, 04:10 PM
some of the things i would like to know how to do:

Yes, but you normally won't get particularly decent prices for your wares. The shop in the bandit town especially tends to have poor prices. Later on the in the game you will find shops in the Dwarftown and the High Mountain Village that will offer much better rates (though this depends on your race - orcs and dark elves tend to get really bad shop prices). Shops are sometimes randomly generated in dungeons, but normally these only buy and sell items of one specific type.

If you have the music skill and a musical instrument then you can put the instrument in your tool slot and 'u'se it to tame animals. Usually takes quite a few tries to work. Certain animals can be fed certain foods to tame them. You can also buy a flesh golem companion in the High Mountain Village, and there's a burly adventurer who can join you there if you know the right word. Bards and farmers always start out with pets too. However, most people don't find pets to be much use.

how to learn to read?

Most characters start out with the Literacy skill if their Learning is over 10. High and grey elves always have it, and several of the classes are guaranteed it too (mostly the spellcasting classes). Otherwise you can eat a dark sage's corpse to learn the skill (a radical form of picking one's brains) or the leader of dwarftown can rewards the player with a potion of literacy on completion of his first quest.

Gives information about monsters you've fought. You get the same information just by 'l'ooking at a monster.

yeah.. thats about all i got.. im sure theres more.. but im not trying to bother anyone...

We're all open to questions here. This game ain't easy without advice, so feel free to ask for more. There's also some useful guides and information you can find from the ADOM Links thread you might want to check out. Few players get far without consulting Andy's Guidebook.

spectre
04-28-2008, 05:18 PM
[(though this depends on your race - orcs and dark elves tend to get really bad shop prices).]

More specifically, it depends on the race of the shopkeeper. Members of their race and races that they like receive good prices. For example, dwarven shopkeepers hate elves and orcs, but an orcish shopkeeper will offer low prices to dwarven characters. Hurtlings seem to be liked universally, and hurtling traders are the least racist.

[However, most people don't find pets to be much use.]
I agree, but a tame Bear companion is one sure way to keep a frail hurtling bard alive at lower levels (-:

bascule
05-02-2008, 03:04 PM
dogs are the easiest animals to tame because all you need are bones which are easy to find. Alignment also plays a large factor in pricing from shopkeepeers

Ars
05-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Also it should be noted that selling things is done by dropping them to the shop floor. When somebody asks if something can be done, it's useful to also tell how to do it.

Some noteworthy things about selling:
Si can be sold to get decent money.
You can store corpses in the Terinyo shop, there they'll never rot.

Maul
05-03-2008, 04:52 PM
As for the taming question: Cats can be tamed with rats or fish, tigers and lions with raw/fresh meat. Berserkers of any kind can be tamed with a wedding ring - use it on a king or an emperor or else it's a waste. And if you manage to find a shop in the dungeon, which happens to sell figurines of wondrous power... bless it with holy water and then use it for a nice tame companion. Some statues are useless but others are good.

F50
05-04-2008, 02:07 AM
the best way to get a companion is to read a blessed Scroll of Familiar Summoning in the Small Cave (SMC) northwest of Terinyo

you can safely store corpses in any shop, not just in Terinyo

Maul
05-04-2008, 10:39 AM
^I think DH yields the strongest monsters, though don't stay in there for long. SMC will yield a high level monster but last time I tried, I got a ratling warlord. That's okay, but if I can get a greater elemental or dragon from the Halls, why go to the SMC?

Macros
05-04-2008, 05:39 PM
It was discussed on forums before - it's better to use blessed scroll of familiar summoning in DH2(unless you have few scrolls of danger, you can use them in SMC). But for beginner SMC probably will be better choice - you need to survive long enough to get to dwarven halls:)

Elone
05-05-2008, 03:45 AM
Yes, it indeed has been discussed - but never settled. So no, it's not neccessarily better to use the scroll in DH2.

Macros
05-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Experiment that I and other user made clearly showed that DH is better than SMC, regardless what level you are.

Elone
05-05-2008, 03:09 PM
I dont need a good reason to just blame it on RNG. So yeah, I blame it on RNG.