PDA

View Full Version : How lucky/unlucky will you be able to get in JADE?

IronJelly
03-08-2008, 10:06 PM
After re-reading ADOI (like more than a year after i first found it), I was thinking that it would be amusing (as well as possibly good for debugging), if the luck factor could be taken to extreme levels, much like how unlucky Travis is. Near the beginning, when he can't move without being crushed, trapped, hurt, burned, ect. are just funny (mostly because he lived), but could also really be an interesting play style change for players. Having to worry about cursedom, because it can become so much more than numbers fudged against you would really be interesting. At least it would be fun to toy with.

theotherhiveking
03-09-2008, 01:02 AM
Java-based Ancient Domains Engine.

As an engine, jade should have all these principal parameters included in a simple config file.

So all you should need to do if to find where the mod (or the date files you are going to use) stores this variable and change it.

Nearsighted
03-09-2008, 03:52 AM
As an engine, jade should have all these principal parameters included in a simple config file.

Should, but not necessarily. A lot of developers make full use of creative liberties when it comes to words like "engine", and I suspect maybe Thomas just wanted to use the term so he could spell JADE, anyway. I do expect customization to the extent of basic variables, as seen in ADOM. That said, however, I think anything deeply rooted in the finer mechanics of gameplay will be left closed to the public.

spectre
03-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Regarding the thread title, speaking fom my ADOM experence, you need all the luck you can get, unlucky = suicide. :D
Bigger world, more features, more variables = more ways for the RNG to screw ye over.

Of course, luck as an externalized variable for each game makes for a nice "Difficulty Slider" for JADE.
Not sure if it is a thing I really want for this game, tho'.

Nearsighted
03-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Nah... No difficulty slider, please. What would be funny to see would be when one starts a game, they're prompted with a difficulty selection with only one option: "Impossibly, stupidly difficult.". Or rather, to cut out the tedium seeing that over and over would cause, make it appear in one out of one-hundred games... Hah... Just rambling, though, I guess.

ZeroTheBird
03-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Or when completing the game you can unlock the "Travis" mode for Wizards :D

Epythic
03-10-2008, 09:58 PM
I would call it "nightmare mode"... when the world itself wants to kill you.

theotherhiveking
03-10-2008, 10:14 PM

1 step...

An elder god comes from another dimension and eats you.

Laukku
03-11-2008, 07:47 AM
1 step...

An elder god comes from another dimension and eats you.

That is more unfair than my current signature! :D

You rub the blessed ring of djinni summoning. The ring was poisoned! You die...

Epythic
03-11-2008, 02:55 PM
No:

the world itself wants to kill you

But it wont get you. You should always have a way out.

Yosmel
03-11-2008, 09:23 PM
That is more unfair than my current signature! :D

LOL nice. A poisoned blessed ring of djinn summoning. You know you're screwed when that happens :D

Epythic
03-12-2008, 08:12 AM
Just try to 'e'at it... *jokingly*

dallonj
06-27-2010, 06:10 AM

this sounds like a regular game of ADOM:D

JellySlayer
06-28-2010, 04:58 AM
Well, ADOM does have a mode where all monsters are stupidly high level, can 1 shot kill the strongest PCs and have millions of hit points; the PC has massively bad luck (-1d200 or something; dooming is -3d5 for reference); all of your items will randomly teleport out of your inventory and around the level.

It takes a bit of work to actually get it to activate. It's supposed to kick in if you try to hack the savefile and ADOM detects it, but naive editing of the save will probably just lead to a crash.

mike3
07-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Well, ADOM does have a mode where all monsters are stupidly high level, can 1 shot kill the strongest PCs and have millions of hit points; the PC has massively bad luck (-1d200 or something; dooming is -3d5 for reference); all of your items will randomly teleport out of your inventory and around the level.

It takes a bit of work to actually get it to activate. It's supposed to kick in if you try to hack the savefile and ADOM detects it, but naive editing of the save will probably just lead to a crash.

I'm curious to know why TB went through the effort to install such a complex response into the game instead of merely rejecting the savefile with an error message.

Epythic
07-11-2010, 04:11 PM
I'm curious to know why TB went through the effort to install such a complex response into the game instead of merely rejecting the savefile with an error message.

You must be new to this genre :D

Maul
08-01-2010, 05:32 PM
LOL nice. A poisoned blessed ring of djinn summoning. You know you're screwed when that happens :D

That reminds me a bit of IVAN. Read a scroll of change material, and then drink the sulphuric acid ring of djinni summoning.