PDA

View Full Version : NumPad

Iso
04-30-2008, 12:15 AM
Hi! So I wanted to show ADOM to my friend here, and she has a notebook with no numpad. So it's really annoying. How do you do? Maybe I should tell her to buy an external keyboard :S

spectre
04-30-2008, 12:34 AM
Had the same problem, given the alternatives: buy and tug along an external keyboard, or somehow get used to the 1-9 keys, I chose the latter. It can be done, but I don't recomend it, the game is playable, but it's easy to mess up the keys when, say, pick-pocketing, or directing the spell diagonally.

Grey
04-30-2008, 12:43 AM
Normally there's a function on a laptop to use a certain section of the keyboard like the numpad (usually 789/UIO/JKL). Does her laptop allow this? If so then she can hold down the function key to use those keys like a numpad (and release it when she wants to do things like check her inventory or open a door). It's possible to get external numpads - just the numpad, not a whole keyboard.

Silfir
04-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Most keyboards have some sort of numpad integrated within that you can activate by pressing num lock or somesort, but then you lose a bunch of keys you'll need too. It's a hassle either way.

I've won eight of my ten games on my notebook - it has become my main ADOM machine - so you can definitely get used to it. After all, you only need to memorize the location of the 1, 3, 7 and 9 (maybe the 5) keys, because you can walk the other directions with the arrows. It's not perfect, but I feel it's better than fiddling around constantly switching something off and on. An external keyboard would of course also be a worthwhile alternative, but doesn't lugging such a thing around defeat the purpose of having ADOM on a portable computer?

Elone
04-30-2008, 03:35 PM
Grey, will you stop posting all the answers that I wanted to give? =P

Silfir. Iso. You dont have to turn the button on/off. It's like Ctrl key. Once you release it, buttons become their old selves again. Imagine that you're moving around on a real keyboard's numpad... just while holding Ctrl?

P.S. I play a MUD, and I wanted to assign same controls to my keyboard. DEFAULT controls were set to numpad (without holding a metakey) which I didnt like, because numpad can only be used for walking, and not for typing. I changed the commands to require Ctrl, and it feels much better. Personally, I'd get used to Grey's function_key idea instantly.

That lill function key can appear on either side of spacebar. While you hold it (as if you would hold any other key), these coloured letters will act as numpad. At least for directions (1-9). I dont know that you do to invoke Numpad 0 for this, and such. I dont have a laptop.

Iso
04-30-2008, 10:26 PM
Yay! You're amazing guys! :D Thanks for all the answers.

Anyway, I don't think she liked ADOM... :(

I've forgotten about the extra numpad keyboard, that'll be a good solution (and a good present... that way I can play ADOM when I'm with her!).

As to the CTRL idea, it's worth trying, maybe when I have my own notebook... I'm afraid to change someone else's configuration.

Thanks again!

Aerudaer
05-01-2008, 02:47 AM
I almost always use my laptop when playing rogue-likes and I just use the arrow keys. I use the numbers only when I am forced to move diagonally or when targetting a spell. It works well for me. I find it harder to actually use the numpad with a rogue-like when I use a full keyboard now because I am so used to the other.

Silfir
05-01-2008, 08:12 PM
I have that button of which you speak, but I distinctly remember it somehow not working... Oh well, no need to get used to anything else now.