PDA

View Full Version : lesser vault + random artifact

head2
05-04-2008, 02:40 AM
So, i was playing this hurthling bard, cleaned a vault which was full of spiders. After i moved on a pile of junk, i saw this jet-black battle axe there. I didn't know normal monsters can drop artifacts like that, has this happened to anyone else?

This character had so many close calls in the beginning, so it's about time my luck is changing.

btw, how bad is the cursed-intrinsic if i got lucky and fate smiles?

also tested a scroll of familiar summoning @bugville, got an ancient minotaur companion standing in C2 or 3 :d

head2
05-04-2008, 02:43 AM
Junnu St:17 Le:15 Wi:15 Dx:19 To:22 Ch:23 Ap:15 Ma:11 Pe:14 L
DV/PV: 32/17 H: 132(132) P: 53(53) Exp: 14/84301 M: 21633

Name: Junnu Race: male Hurthling Class: Bard
Eye color: blue Hair color: brown Complexion: light
Height: 3'1" Weight: 74 pounds
Star sign: Candle Birthday: 5/Candle (day 275 of the year)

Weapon Skills

Melee weapon Lvl Hit Dam DV Level Required marks
--------------------- --- --- --- -- ------------- --------------
Unarmed fighting 2 +2 +0 +0 basic 40
Daggers & knives 1 +1 +0 +0 basic 25
Clubs & hammers 2 +2 +0 +0 basic 40
Maces & flails 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 15
Swords 2 +2 +0 +0 basic 29
Axes 3 +2 +1 +0 basic 35
Whips 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 15
Pole arms 9 +9 +5 +10 excellent 742
Twohanded weapons 2 +2 +2 +0 basic 40
Staves 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 15

Missile weapon Lvl Hit Dam Ra Level Required marks
--------------------- --- --- --- -- ------------- --------------
Slings 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 5
Bows 6 +12 +9 +2 skilled 51
Crossbows 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 7
Thrown axes & hammers 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 7
Thrown daggers 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 7
Thrown rocks & clubs 4 +8 +6 +1 skilled 21
Thrown spears 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 7
Boomerangs & scurgari 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 7

Shields Lvl DV Level Required marks
--------------------- --- --- ------------- --------------
Shields 6 +12 skilled 199

Damage caused with your melee weapons:
--------------------------------------
?Right hand: ?+15? bonus to hit, ?5d6+9? damage

Damage caused with your missile weapons:
----------------------------------------
?Ammunition: ?17?, base range: ?3?, ?+37? bonus to hit, ?1d6+21? damage

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spells

Darkness : 31, 6pp (Effectivity: +0)
Lightning Bolt: 57, 17pp (Effectivity: +0)

Skills

Archery ..................100 (superb) [+1d3]
Bridge building .......... 17 (mediocre) [+4d5] (mr)
Climbing ................. 44 (fair) [+4d4]
Cooking .................. 50 (fair) [+3d3] (ma)
Detect traps ............. 87 (great) [+2d4]
First aid ................ 41 (fair) [+4d4]
Food preservation ........100 (superb) [+2d4]
Gardening ................ 22 (mediocre) [+4d4]
Gemology ................. 25 (mediocre) [+4d4]
Haggling ................. 26 (mediocre) [+4d5]
Healing ..................100 (superb) [+2d4]
Listening ................ 83 (great) [+2d4]
Literacy ................. 75 (great) [+2d4]
Music ....................100 (superb) [+2d4]
Pick locks ............... 30 (mediocre) [+4d5]
Stealth .................. 70 (good) [+1d3]
Survival ................. 18 (mediocre) [+4d5]
Swimming ................. 34 (fair) [+3d4]

Inventory
Total weight: 2445 stones Carrying capacity: 3500 stones

He: cursed rusty metal cap [+0, +1] [50s]
Ne: uncursed amulet of speed (+3 spd) [3s]
Bo: uncursed mithril chain mail (-1, -3) [-2, +7] [320s]
Gi: blessed girdle of carrying [+0, +0] [15s]
Cl: uncursed leather cloak (-1, +0) [+1, +0] [40s]
RH: blessed jet-black battle axe (named) (+2, 5d6+6) [-4, +1] {St+3} (+3 spd)
LH: uncursed tower mithril shield (-2) [+9, +2] [120s]
RR: blessed ring of acid resistance [1s]
LR: blessed ring of teleport control [1s]
Br: uncursed bracers of toughness [+0, +0] {To+4} [10s]
Ga: uncursed archery gloves (+0, +4) [+3, +3] [6s]
Bo: blessed seven league boots [+1, +0] [30s]
MW: uncursed short bow of accuracy (+6, +0) [20s]
Mi: bundle of 17 weighted arrows (+0, 1d6+7) [34s]
Tl: -

Killed Monsters

905 monsters perished under his attacks.

Achievements

He survived for 0 years, 10 days, 4 hours, 37 minutes and 55 seconds (21633
turns).
15 companions were killed during his adventures.
Junnu visited 38 places.
His strength score was modified by +6 during his career.
His learning score was modified by +5 during his career.
His willpower score was modified by +4 during his career.
His dexterity score was modified by +2 during his career.
His toughness score was modified by +3 during his career.
His charisma score was modified by +2 during his career.
His appearance score was modified by +1 during his career.
His mana score was modified by +1 during his career.
His perception score was modified by +2 during his career.
He was unnaturally aged by 1 year.

F50
05-04-2008, 03:03 AM
executor is generally worth the cursed intrinsic, but watch out!

head2
05-04-2008, 03:10 AM
executor is generally worth the cursed intrinsic, but watch out!
Yeah, it seems like it, my bard is cutting through everything at this point.

Just entered the pyramid's second level and got a surge of power: a named vapor rat guarding the "hammerhead" -pickaxe.

Damn, lol.

Thundarr told me to kill a hydra, so i went to swamp to kill one and found out it was a swamp hydra after returning back to him. >.<

Hydra (meh) i thought and went deeper in CoC, went through DH by using magic mapping and monster detection. Then i got to khelavaster, and had no AoLS so i thought i'd go to drink the pools in darkforge.

But, when i reached the first level before the darkforge, i noticed a glowing wand on the ground, WoWi with 3 charges(!).

Now i just can't think of anything else to wish for after i have the AoLS. A hydra? Z.z

gut
05-04-2008, 05:18 AM
The 'cursed' intrinsic, can just as accurately be
reffered to as 'bad luck'. It's not that bad, and
is quite managable, even without having the
'luck' and 'fate smiles' intrinsics to offset it.
Having the status granted to you via a weapon
is still yet, not as bad as having it naturally.

The only REALLY bad thing about having the
'cursed' intrinsic naturally, is being one step
closer to being 'doomed'. If you are 'cursed'
naturally, then bump into a karmic lizard, you're
doomed. If you are just cursed by a weapon,
you still get that extra mistake, before you're
doomed.

Grey
05-04-2008, 05:55 AM
Random artifact drops are indeed possible - I've had them happen in many games. It's also possible to randomly pickpocket Bracers of War, Whirlwind or Preserver. I've heard there's a slightly higher chance of finding an artifact in a lesser vault, but only once have I actually had this happen. Executor is awesome to have - it's by far and beyond my favourite weapon in the game. The cursing just gives it an extra edge to keep the game fun.

4 wishes is quite handy indeed! AoLS is an obvious choice to save Khelly. Screw the hydra - the dwarven quests aren't necessary. Besides, you've already messed up the next quest by going beyond the dwarven halls (so his second quest is going to be a random monster to slay, and it could be even rarer!) I'd say carry on with the game as normal, only doing the portal quest. You can still do the arena to get the golden gladius for Garth (be sure to drink blessed potions of learning before training with him so that you get Tactics starting at 100).

For wishes I'd recommend the following:
-Girdle of giant strength
-Eternium plate mails or red dragon scale mails (the latter is handy for the tower)
-Eternium tower shields (not too necessary since you've not maxed out your current shield yet, but can be handy)
-Find Weakness (a useful skill)
-Rings of ice (again for the tower, though not worth a wish in my books unless you rely on archery)

It's also important for you to harvest some morgia so your Toughness and Willpower get higher. You don't need herbalism to get decent morgia.

head2
05-04-2008, 11:05 AM
God damn, adom crashed. He was level 22 and just got RotHK. Also found a blessed RoDS i used for rings of ice.

Things were going so smoothly that i forgot to take backup copies. Oh well, at least i learned something.

Thanks for tips, new character!

p.s. is the dos-version less likely to crash?

Maul
05-04-2008, 11:37 AM
ADOM 1.1.1 has never, ever crashed for me under DOS.

head2
05-04-2008, 11:45 AM
ADOM 1.1.1 has never, ever crashed for me under DOS.
damn, i guess i should give it a try, then

i hate to have that annoying "saved himself 50 times" in the flg file

now i just need to remember the button which increased the speed in dosbox, adom seems laggy ^^

Elone
05-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Waaaait a second. I keep reading about crashes all the time, but they dont happen to me. Does that simply happen because everyone else just uses Winbeta?...

Yes, DOS version is unlikely to crash, compared to what I've heard about this other Winbeta ADOM, apparently.

I'm just happy that I dont have Vista, cuz I heard that DOS ADOM simply wont work with it! All of Microsoft's new products tend to suck, til they get 2-4 service packs after 2-4 years of waiting... If Microsoft ever makes something that DOES NOT suck, it will be a vacuum cleaner.

P.S. I used DOSBOX before, just not for ADOM, which already works just as I want it. The last time I used DOSBOX, it was really unwieldy. It had too many parameters which had to be set manually (which is similar to tuning some old tv set, cuz it's very touchy and you can never get those best results), plus settings are different for every program/game you start in DOSBOX, and you cant save various settings for each of them.

head2
05-04-2008, 12:17 PM
If Microsoft ever makes something that DOES NOT suck, it will be a vacuum cleaner.

Haha

Anyone experienced crashes with ADOM sage? It uses the Linux version apparently, so..?

edit: Nevermind, i used google a bit and figured out i'd give it a try :d

Damn, it looks so bad in window-mode, but i guess i'll get used to it.

I'm a bit of a control-freak. Using 2 monitors and all ^^

Nevermind again, found a solution, created a shortcut and changed the font in the settings ^^

Nezur
05-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Anyone experienced crashes with ADOM sage? It uses the Linux version apparently, so..?

I've experienced at least 3 crashes with ADOM Sage over about 3 months so the Linux version really doesn't cause less crashes than the DOS version. There are actually bugs in the ADOM Sage frontend itself. Sometimes the game display seems to freeze as if there were a more prompt. Pressing space bar seems to restore functionality. Of course that's nothing serious although I've had a few panic attacks because of the bug.

Once the game froze and I continued tapping the movement keys and after a while the game simply executed them all fortunately not resulting in YASD. There are other minor bugs as well listed in the ADOM Sage readme.

EDIT: You should able to play Sage full-screen if you press alt+enter while the application is running.

head2
05-04-2008, 01:37 PM
EDIT: You should able to play Sage full-screen if you press alt+enter while the application is running.
I know, but i'm too used to play windowed ;(

If all else fails, i'll go to get my good old 486 from the carage and play ADOM with it.

Silfir
05-04-2008, 02:05 PM
The lag is probably explained with a low supply of system resources. Happens on my laptop sometimes if I've Winamp running in the background. Hasn't yet killed a character of mine, luckily.

Whenever I get the DOS version to run on plain Windows XP, I use it. In six years of playing ADOM with the DOS version, I've gotten what, three crashes? I don't make any backup copies at all, and that's probably saying something.

Nezur
05-04-2008, 02:16 PM
The lag is probably explained with a low supply of system resources. Happens on my laptop sometimes if I've Winamp running in the background. Hasn't yet killed a character of mine, luckily.

That was not the case. At least I did not notice any resource-demanding processes in the background.

Whenever I get the DOS version to run on plain Windows XP, I use it. In six years of playing ADOM with the DOS version, I've gotten what, three crashes? I don't make any backup copies at all, and that's probably saying something.

Maybe I will have to switch back to the DOS version. I don't like it though. It seems to strain my processor a lot and it lacks the UI enhancements.

Grey
05-04-2008, 11:35 PM
I've only once had ADOM Sage crash on me. It was at the worst bloody possible time mind, but it was the game's fault as far as I know (the Khelly item-dropping bug that sometimes appears). I wish there was an Amiga version of 1.1.1 - it never failed me :(

Elone
05-05-2008, 05:10 AM
ADOMSAGE works okay.

I always played regular DOS ADOM in fullscreen, because it lags a plenty when played in window (it refreshes too slowly, compared to my keyboard repeat rate). ADOMSAGE does not seem to have the same problem, and so it can easily be played in a window.

ADOMSAGE really does have a different set of (arguably ugly) colours. Surprisingly enough, DOS ADOM would give same set of colours when you go fullscreen before game properly loads (half or a second at most, on my PC). DOS ADOM would change those colours and the font when switching modes. ADOMSAGE doesnt, and it's nice.

Like head2 said, there is a solution to this. You can create a shortcut that leads to the EXE, and set all those colours to your liking by modifying shortcut's properties. I suggest you to google for the solution online, though. There exists a downloadable shortcut that already sets all the colours. Since you cant hit PrintScreen in DOS (all graphics are held in framebuffer, so yeah), someone used advanced tactics to get those colours where they should be.

I noticed only a few disadvantages to ADOMSAGE. For instance, one of them happens when a lot of keyboard commands has been input (and by a lot, i mean when keyboard repeat rate kicks in). If you went over this treshold in DOS ADOM, computer would beep. But here, it still accepts commands, just stops redrawing for a while.

Another disadvantage is that you cant remove mouse from the screen, when running in fullscreen mode. It's not always a disadvantage, but I'd rather not have it, so yeah, it can get in the way.

Another one is, the cursor appears (and follows) every shot missile, and appears in menus too.

As you can see, the disadvantages that I'm listing, are truly minor. ADOMSAGE has its advantages, I only wish that I started using it sooner. I used it before, but didnt actually give it enough chance (ugly colours, default blocky walls).

I'd like to hear about other ADOMSAGE experiences, if someone would share them?

head2
05-05-2008, 08:43 AM
There exists a downloadable shortcut that already sets all the colours.
Thanks for pointing that out, my colours still looked a bit weird so i went and googled for this .lnk file.

The colours look so much better now.

Edit: Just in case someone else has the same problem:

http://serenity-net.com/~liu/adom.lnk

I'd like to hear about other ADOM Sage -experiences as well.

Edit2: now i'm trying to find out how to get the same font as in winbeta4, i liked it, i think it is courier, but i don't have the option in my font-settings, there's only lucida-something and something else

Edit3: i got courier on the list with some registry editing, but it's italic, meh >.<

Elone
05-05-2008, 11:18 AM
You're welcome. Enjoy the pure and overwhelming bliss of those 16 new colours on the clear black background (I know that I do).

Lucida Console, and a raster font (also known as Terminal or System) are your choice when you edit the shortcut. Use Raster Font with size of 8x12. Courier New, by the way, is the font that I write all my posts in (even this one). Courier (old) is very outdated, and I seriously doubt that it's used in Winbeta, which I didnt play.

You edited the registry, huh? Make sure that you pointed to the correct font. Most fonts do not have their Italic or Bold versions (EVEN tho some programs can make them italic or bold parametrically). But some, and possibly Courier New, have such 4 premade versions. Regular, bold, italic, combo. Go check which one you linked your registry to.

I rarely bother with fonts. I always install Microsoft Office, which in turn installs so many (although good) fonts, that I lose all my will to play around with them.

Enjoy.

head2
05-05-2008, 11:26 AM
I managed to get it working, but there's a catch: i can't use any size of Courier New smaller than 20 or it becomes italic.

Strange.

The size you are using in your posts would be perfect.

Edit: Just figured out it's sizes 14 and 16 which make it italic. 12 becomes too small and 20 is too big.

Damn, i just wanted it to be perfect.

gut
05-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Well, I use an extremely old (win98) computer
to play ADOM. I had a problem with fonts once,
after a computer crash. I think all dos-based
games were using the Lucida font, which I did
not like. If memory serves, I had to edit a
registry entry to set things right again.

I looked around a bit, and I think it was the
following one.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\MS-DOS Emulation] "Font"="MS-DOS CP 437"

I know they are different problems, but this
is definitely the font I like best.

Elone
05-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Head2, I dont see a way to help your picky self =P You're probably using a larger resolution that 1024x768 (which many consider nice and fitting). If fact, I believe that you're using 1600x1200 (if your ratio is even 4:3). In the same way, you'll wait for a perfect girl, and you'll never find one because of pickiness; or you'll keep waiting to buy "the perfect best new computer", and the pickier you are (out of perfectionism), the later you'll buy your new PC. Blah blah. I give up.

head2
05-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Head2, I dont see a way to help your picky self =P You're probably using a larger resolution that 1024x768 (which many consider nice and fitting). If fact, I believe that you're using 1600x1200 (if your ratio is even 4:3). In the same way, you'll wait for a perfect girl, and you'll never find one because of pickiness; or you'll keep waiting to buy "the perfect best new computer", and the pickier you are (out of perfectionism), the later you'll buy your new PC. Blah blah. I give up.
Actually i'm using 1024x768. I just wanted it to look like my winbeta4, which i have played a lot recently. But i guess i give up and play it as it is.

But i can't say that i'm not picky, because it would be an insult towards my girlfriend.

lol

Kato
05-05-2008, 10:18 PM
I play winbeta 4..the most recent version. I've never once had a crash with Adom. In fact...I've been playing Adom since 99 or something like that...and I don't think I've ever experienced a crash in the game. Not even once. Have I just been lucky?

Starhawk
05-05-2008, 10:37 PM
I play winbeta 4..the most recent version. I've never once had a crash with Adom. In fact...I've been playing Adom since 99 or something like that...and I don't think I've ever experienced a crash in the game. Not even once. Have I just been lucky?

Nope, I've played ADOM under several versions (currently running winbeta) and never had a crash in years of play.

Nezur
05-25-2008, 11:03 AM
Maybe I will have to switch back to the DOS version. I don't like it though. It seems to strain my processor a lot and it lacks the UI enhancements.

Hey, I found a way to reduce the strain the game puts on my CPU. I just reduced the priority of the game on the application properties. I mean the properties found by right-clicking the executable.

gut
05-25-2008, 06:39 PM
> never had a crash in years of play.

Eat a werewolf king corpse, that should get you there : )

Nezur
05-25-2008, 06:50 PM
Apparently the bug doesn't exist in ADoM 1.1.1.

gut
05-25-2008, 11:57 PM
Really? I can't say that I have tried it. In fact,
I'm still too chicken to try it, even now!

Well still, there must be something that you
could do to get a good crash. Try exploiting
ants for miners, that gives a good chance.
Maybe drop a bunch of casino junk and let
some monster pick it up, before you kill it,
that's BOUND to work.

FantomFang
05-26-2008, 02:06 AM
I've always run ADOM Sage pretty much, used to run the DOS version in the bit of time i would play it in computer classes (i never once finished a starting quest there though, lol, I think I even died over half the time in the SMC without knowing why it was so hard). When I think about it, any "crashes" that I have had seem to be more attributed to human error than to the program itself, a.k.a. hitting the "X" instead of the "_" key in the top right corner of the window =p and not realizing it, for example. Its pretty darn stable to me.

Personally, on the topic of Sage, I like the way it is setup. I love the options it gives you for colors and I personally love the blocking for the rooms. Besides, you can turn the options off that you don't like anyways.

Nezur
05-26-2008, 01:44 PM
Really? I can't say that I have tried it. In fact,
I'm still too chicken to try it, even now!

Well still, there must be something that you
could do to get a good crash. Try exploiting
ants for miners, that gives a good chance.
Maybe drop a bunch of casino junk and let
some monster pick it up, before you kill it,
that's BOUND to work.

Check out the bug fix list at http://www.adom.de/adom/download.php3. :)

gut
05-26-2008, 09:21 PM
Fixed way back in 1.1.0 eh?
I'm still too chicken.

vogonpoet
05-27-2008, 08:07 AM
I might have to try this sage thingy - winbeta4 just killed a kick-ass hurthling wizard I had... No discernible reason, it just died. I probably ought to reinstall windoze on the laptop first thought... just not as stable as it ought to be :mad:

Timpak
05-27-2008, 09:55 AM
Iirc correctly my winbeta4 and now later on adomsage have only crashed once and that was in the big room with lots of summoners, the room was completely flooded with monsters.

Kato
05-29-2008, 10:07 PM
I figured this would be the most appropriate thread to ask this...has anyone ever had this happen?

I'm in the ID. Floor 11 to be exact. Just trying to get a few scrolls. Lvl 21 archer. I found a room with a bunch of experienced ratling duelists. It appears to me...that every single one of them dropped some sort of gauntlets. I just picked up 16 pairs of gauntlets...I'm curious to get them back to an altar and start identifying them...but I thought this was just really weird.

Grey
05-29-2008, 10:10 PM
Uh, you never noticed this before? Ratlings duelists always drop gauntlets. Not sure if they can be gauntlets of peace or not, but certainly some of them can have very decent stats.

Siriah
05-29-2008, 10:10 PM
Yeah, ratling duelists drop gauntlets. It's because if you challenge someone to a duel, you're supposed to slap them with your gauntlet. I remember talking to a friendly one once, it challenged me in that way and turned hostile.

Kato
05-29-2008, 10:33 PM
Wow...really? I never noticed that before. Wow.

I just found my 5th set of elven chain mail with this character too. I rarely ever even find one.