PDA

View Full Version : Sticky keyboard

Manu
05-04-2008, 09:54 AM
A level 6 hurthling bard. He has just gone to level two of the puppy cave but had to run away from a swordman until he'd found more rocks. Then in level two of the keethrax caves he runs into another swordman. He pelts the three rocks he has been able to find at him, hoping perhaps to score a critical hit but has to run away from him, here, as well. (He does manage to pick his three rocks up again since the swordman decided to wander off a bit)

Then, on the way back he runs into an Ogre. Having seven league boots, he should be able to bypass him easily. I take a step into the room to see what other obstacles are there to avoid between me and the staircase only to press my '4' key a little too hard. It snags on something and I walk continuously forward for 30 something turns and die of acute blood poisoning, caused by a giant centipede that had been sitting in a blind spot. It was all perfectly avoidable and I hadn't prayed for anything yet either.

I think the (accept any key at the more prompt) has actually caused more deaths for me than any other thing in ADOM.

Maul
05-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Switch it off and buy a better keyboard?:p

Well, usually this kind of accident tends to happen to me when I do it intentionally. Like mistaking a doppleganger king for a caveman. (With a brown @ for a character)

Sturmgeweiht
05-07-2008, 02:29 AM
Better luck next time ;-). Now that you mention it, I will try a Hurthling Bard, seems like a good combination.

Grey
05-07-2008, 07:55 AM
Hurthling bards are good if you get some rocks early, since it's gives them an instant good offence that works brilliantly with their SLBs. You have to be extremely careful with them still though - give up on saving the puppy or killing Kranach and get your first 8 levels at least in VD1 and 2. Gnome bards on the other hand are a little better in the long run, with better magic stats and a better starting pet, and with gemology to help them improve later, but again they need such cautious care initially.

Manu
05-10-2008, 11:16 PM
Well I enjoy them. They come equipped with everything you need to survive. They have terribly weak strength but they can pretty much pelt everything to death before it gets near enough - and eventually by carrying a bunch of rocks around they're going to train their strength as well. They've got their pet they can hide behind if something does manage to come close enough to them, and starting with both food preservation and cooking makes staying nourished absolutely trivial. Their god favouring cooked foods for sacrifice is pretty sweet as well.

They don't start with healing, though, so you have to get lucky with your bard starting skill distribution.