PDA

View Full Version : Crowning Pre-crowning/Post-crowining.

Vertex007
03-08-2008, 11:27 PM
I've read about post/pre crowning but I still don't get it.
Everytime I play a character I just sac as much gold and then pray at some point, I get crowned. But I do not understand how I can get pre-crowned or post-crowned.
No matter how much gold I sac after being crowned or even have exact alignment I can't get post crowned.
HALP?

Dougy
03-08-2008, 11:30 PM
If you are of the extreme alignment, that is L+ N= or C-, then you will be crowned. So do something naughty (or good) to change your alignment first, eg. attack a non-hostile, pick some pockets, dig a grave. Be careful, because saccing at an altar can change your alignment.

Grey
03-08-2008, 11:33 PM
To be pre or post crowned you must be of a high enough level and not have generated too many artifacts. The minimum level you should be is 8 + 3n, where n is the number of artifacts generated. So if 5 artifacts have been generated in the game (your crowning gift and all previous pre/post crowns included) then you must be at least level 23 to get a pre/post crown. This usually means that you can only get them early in the game - generally before the pyramid. Also, you can't get any sort of crowning if you're wearing an item that curses or dooms you (eg Executor), but you get a special message about that when you try.

Shardphoenix
03-08-2008, 11:52 PM
BTW, it seems to me, that gifts from other deity prevent you from getting a (pre)crowning.

Macros
03-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Be careful, because saccing at an altar can change your alignment.

Yes, but only if you're sacrificing on altar which isn't same as your aligment, and if you're sacrificing small amounts of gold. If you're sacrificing larger amounts of gold(like 4000 or more), altar color will change instead of your aligment. Smaller sacrifices are also risky, because your god can get angry and curse your equipment(I still haven't figured out under what condition your god will curse your equipment(and afair will make you doomed) - it seems that in very early game it's relatively safe to change your aligment with altar without risk), and your aligment will still run toward altar color. Wearing artifact(and artifact only) prevents this penalty.

There is also bug(I think) in Adom, which makes precrowned with neutral PC very hard. I had few times such situation, when I tried to precrown. I was N-, I was absolutely close, and when I prayed, my aligment suddenly became N= and I was crowned instead of precrowned.

Grey
03-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Macross, the change to N= alignment is what Dougy was talking about. A neutral PC saccing at a neutral altar will bring his alignment closer to N=. Sometimes the screen doesn't update properly and the display will still say N- and you'll think it's okay to pray for a precrown, when in fact you've switched to N=. So you have to always redraw the screen (ctrl+r I think) to make sure you're the right alignment. Usually you have to do something chaotic or lawful to draw yourself away from N= before you can get your precrowning.

Congnito
03-09-2008, 02:02 PM
i think if u change from ur start alignment u wont be able to get a pre crown, so if ur a chaotic char to begin with and u get to lawful u wont be able to get a pre crown from a lawful deity.

Rusi
03-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Like already said in this thread there are some requirements which you must meet to get pre/postcrowning.

- Not extremly alignment which means your alignment isn't allowed to be C-, N= or L+.
- Extremly close to god.
- Number of artifacts generated in that game is equal or smaller that 8+3*number of artifacts

For postcrowning you don't need to meet the first requirement of course as you are already crowned. If you get lucky and find altar early game before any artifacts is generated (normally before entering CoC or completing druid quest) getting precrowning is pretty easy if you got time and alignment is C or L. Just live sac everything that moves on that level. It will take time but at least for me it's worth the time as the reward might be something that really helps you rest of the game. Or then it can be something really useless but you can always start new character if you want as you haven't progressed too far yet.

There is also bug(I think) in Adom, which makes precrowned with neutral PC very hard. I had few times such situation, when I tried to precrown. I was N-, I was absolutely close, and when I prayed, my aligment suddenly became N= and I was crowned instead of precrowned.
I'm not quite sure but maybe praying shifts alignment a small ammount towards extreme (-, =, +) and you just happened to be so close that it changed because the praying. This is just my guess what happened.

Grey
03-09-2008, 02:18 PM
i think if u change from ur start alignment u wont be able to get a pre crown, so if ur a chaotic char to begin with and u get to lawful u wont be able to get a pre crown from a lawful deity.

I've had the same character get a precrown gift from each of the 3 deities - this is most certainly not a requirement. If you change alignment at any point though you lose a lot of piety, making it hard to build up enough piety for a pre/post-crowning.

ZeroTheBird
03-10-2008, 12:38 PM
I have never managed to get post crowned.
Now i know how.

Kato
03-21-2008, 05:40 PM
Wow. So I have a question. For the first time ever with a character, I was able to get Pre-Crowned. Then I even got crowned. But I just ran in to an issue :D

I entered in to the ToEF. In one of the rooms was a bunch of blink dogs. My alignment is L+. One of them attacked me and I couldn't get him to leave me alone so I guess I made the mistake and killed him. He left a corpse! So I ate it and got the nice intrinsic that comes with it. But now...all the other blink dogs were coming after me. I found the up stairs (this was on the 1st floor)...but I didn't want to go up the stairs and take a bunch of blink dogs on to the next floor. So.....I casted Rain of Sorrow and melted some doggies in a nice pool of acid. Oops....

Seems I pissed off Correllius. He removed my crowning. He even tried to kill me with a bolt of black energy, but I survived! So he said I will pay for this humiliation and summoned in a ton of spectres. My alignment is now N+. I cleared off a lot of the spectres and killed enough of the dogs to go up the stairs without bringing any of them with me.

My question is...can I get back in good status with my god and get crowned again? Or do I need try to make the neutral god happy and get crowned that way?

Edit: LOL. In the next room on the second floor I just found an alter. A Pure White Alter...is it possible to start sacrificing evil things there? Should I sacrifice small amount of gold until my alignment changes? I am going to stop playing for now I think till I can get a little advice. I've never had a character get past the ToEF and I have a good feeling that this character is on his way to do it. But I sure didn't expect to lose my crowning and anger my god like that. ahahaha.

Siriah
03-21-2008, 05:53 PM
You won't be able to get crowned again, unfortunately. The other gods won't want to crown a fallen champion either. Also, be careful with that lawful altar, your old god is still angry with you and will do all sorts of nasty things if you sacrifice to him.

Kato
03-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Will he now? hhhmm...will it be possible for me to get an alter somewhere and at least get enough piety with a god to be able to bless water for me? I guess that's my main concern at this point.

Edit: Yes. In fact, I already have Ayssia at a very close to me status. I sac'd on that alter and it turned grey. Sac'd some more and got the doom and cursed intrinsics removed. yay!

Long Sting
06-27-2015, 02:48 AM
So what is the difference between the three types of crowning? It it just that pre and post require a non-extreme alignment and regular crowning does? And the reason you do all three is to just get more immunities and artifacts? and is the level and piety requirement always the same? In the guidebook it looks like each successive crowning costs more piety.

Rick
06-27-2015, 10:45 AM
Crowning happen one time, when praying at absolutely close with alignement at extreme (L+ N= C-), pre-crown happen when praying at extremely close with alignement not extreme, post crown don't have to care about alignement. Pre and post crown need you to be at least at a level that is 8 plus three times number of artifacts generated, while crowning can be done at any level. Hope that finally I have understand the hours lost for a postcrown that will never happen:(

The problem I'm living for crowning late is:
usually I try to pre crown or crown directly before the CoC, with no artifacts generated some times if I'm lucky I manage to get three crowns before start the real game, so sometimes you can start with mighty stuffs, but this time I get crown late in CoC, generated black torc, the sis, and that damn hammer rof the gods that is the reason I want to go for post crown. I have to reach expLev 17 and need about 160.000 exp points and can't go down or can be generated the moon sickle, can't go to the forge or pyramid or to free Bloodax.
Then I go down hoping for some vault and the good RNG not to generate the moon sickle so close, D:11 dwarftown, D:12 two stairs, D:13 under "da" animated forest the moon sickle..:mad:..so now it's level 20, too much exp., and in the meanwhile it's close to Lev16 and pyramid must be done...

So waiting for late has the result for that guy to have no holy gifts because very likely the hammer will be forget soon for shields...not that it is a real problem anyway, meeting an adamantium scimitar of davastation can switch the game on easy the same way...

sweetnothing
06-27-2015, 11:54 AM
So what is the difference between the three types of crowning? It it just that pre and post require a non-extreme alignment and regular crowning does? And the reason you do all three is to just get more immunities and artifacts? and is the level and piety requirement always the same? In the guidebook it looks like each successive crowning costs more piety.

Pre- and postcrownings do not give you immunity and do not bless. They give you a random non-guaranteed artifact and that's all.

Crowning blesses, gives an immunity and an artifact but that artifact depends on class and sometimes on race. There's no requirement for number of previously generated artifacts in crowning: you can crown at any level as long as piety is high and alignment is extreme.

So crowning is much better. You could do pre- and post-crownings if you feel that a random artifact would help you, but keep in mind that some random artifacts are not so good, especially for late game. Therefore I think that pre-crowning in the early game and crowing in the midgame (around Dwarftown) is a good plan.

Long Sting
07-01-2015, 07:28 PM
Oh I see, thanks a ton, that's really helpful. Can you crown multiple times? And blessing gives fate smiles doesn't it?

blunk
07-01-2015, 09:21 PM
Oh I see, thanks a ton, that's really helpful. Can you crown multiple times? And blessing gives fate smiles doesn't it?

Any subsequent crownings are postcrowns, "only" gives an artifact and you have to stay on same align.
Fate smiles is earlier.
Bless is +1pv dunno if anything else.

Blasphemous
07-02-2015, 12:25 PM

You can only crown once.
Fate smiles+lucky intrinsics are granted at the point when you become very close to your deity, so quite a while before getting crowned.
Blessing has nothing to do with luck related intrinsics, though it slightly increases luck in general.