PDA

View Full Version : New Group Challenge Game

Grey
05-08-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm running a new group challenge game on the Hall of Fame forums called "The Weakest Link". It involves sending a character into the Infinite Dungeon, going deeper and deeper. Each player spends 2000 turns with the character before saving and passing the file on to the next person. If a player dies they must send the previous person's save onto the next guy, and their death will be recorded in a high score list. Each player must go at least one level deeper in the ID during their turn, meaning the game will get more and more difficult as it progresses. Eventually it'll get whittled down to a few players struggling to cope in very dangerous situations. The game is open to all players, new and old, and is designed as a bit of competitive fun. If we get enough people interested it'll likely be played in several leagues with a final for the top players from each league. So do you think you have what it takes to come out top? Or will you be... the weakest link? :P

For more information, and to sign up, please see the relevant thread in the Hall of Fame forums (http://adom.brinkster.net/forum/messages.asp?thread=5988&start=57810&page=1). (please excuse a certain amount of forum instability at the moment - a few page refreshes might be necessary to get the site loaded)

Grey
05-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Slight bump to this - deadline for sign-up is midnight on Friday. Games will begin on Saturday. It will be split into at least 3 leagues of players, with the top few from each league going into a final competition. There are currently at least 15 players involved, of very mixed skills, and the more the better. As many challenge games have shown before, even the skilled can die easily and quickly, so everyone has a chance to do well (or awfully). Bonus status for whoever gets the most amusing death.

Kato
05-15-2008, 08:20 PM
This might seem like a stupid question, but you mention 2000 turns. How do you know how many turns you have played?

Nezur
05-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Pressing :t will cycle through various statistics in the lower right corner of the screen.

Grey
05-15-2008, 09:12 PM
The save file that will be passed round will have the turn counter set on in the bottom-right corner by default, so everyone will be able to keep track of their turns easily.

Smite
05-16-2008, 04:33 AM
I'm interested in this challenge. Do I have to register at your other site?

Orbic
05-16-2008, 08:41 AM
Link dead. Crushed by a collapsing dungeon?
:(

Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'

System resource exceeded.

/forum/messages.asp, line 25

Grey
05-16-2008, 08:47 AM
Yes, the challenge is hosted on the Hal of Fame forums, so if you'd like to join in please sign up there. You have until midnight tonight before the tournament begins!

Orbic: Keep refreshing, it'll work eventually... Sorry, there seems to be some troubles with that forum at the mo :/

M_bowwarrior
05-16-2008, 01:49 PM
it's impossible to go on your site... why not attach here files of the game, and done the challenge here ?
it's an Adom site here (fortunately !!!)

AND.... this site and forum work !:rolleyes:

gut
05-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Good point there. The HoF forums seem to be back
to their unstable ways. I like the HoF forums better,
but there is something to be said, for actually being
able to just post and be done with it. It would mean
that a lot of posters at the HoF would have to sign
up here though, and some might not want to bother.
(Otherwise, wouldn't they already?) The option to
attatch files to the post would simplify things a bit.

Grey
05-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Bah, you seem to be right... I prefer HoF for many reasons, but oh well - we'll host it here instead. I suppose attaching files here too will be handy. I'll have to ask everyone to sign up again and maybe delay the start a little, just to be sure everyone knows and is okay with things.