PDA

View Full Version : Harvesting from corpses

Chaine
05-11-2008, 05:28 PM
I don't think it's been talked through before, but it can be seen (and is quite popular) in several RPGs/MMORPGs out there: harvesting special items from dead bodies such as behemoth claws, dragon teeth, dragon leather, demon horns, feathers, lizard scales, turtle shells and wolf fur.
Various items could be used for alchemy, crafting, fletchery and stuff like that or sold.

reich
05-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Actually I think gathering those things should completely replace *eating* corpses. This widespread cannibalism is the most ludicrous thing in ADoM. Just picture yourself devouring a raw, bloody, dirty outlaw corpse, veins and all! Bleh!

Instead, there should be a new skill to gain things from slain beasts. Suitible creatures, like wild animals, could supply you with meat. Others could be used for some rare ingredients and materials.

Leave eating carcasses just for trolls!!

Ars
05-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Actually I think gathering those things should completely replace *eating* corpses. This widespread cannibalism is the most ludicrous thing in ADoM. Just picture yourself devouring a raw, bloody, dirty outlaw corpse, veins and all! Bleh!And a corpse weighs about as much as a piece of armor...
But no matter of the realism of it, corpse eating is a tradition in roguelikes and I don't think it needs to be removed.

Narvius
05-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Right, it's in the tradition of normal roguelikes, JADE is the next level of them.

theotherhiveking
05-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Actually I think gathering those things should completely replace *eating* corpses

In Stone Soup, you first have to 'D'issect the corpse to make chunks, then you can only 'e'at in if you are at least ungry, because if the PC is not hungry he will just reject to eat that meat.

. This widespread cannibalism is the most ludicrous thing in ADoM. Just picture yourself devouring a raw, bloody, dirty outlaw corpse, veins and all! Bleh!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. blood....

Chaine
05-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Yeah, that makes sense. The player should just be able to eat humanoid corpses if he's starving.

F50
05-13-2008, 05:00 AM
any C- character should be able to be a cannibal. Orcs, and trolls too.

spectre
05-13-2008, 12:10 PM
As to the whole cannibalism thing, should depend on race (as it is now in ADOM), as orcses would be more liberal at eating their kin than more sophisticated races. I also think the ADOM 'you feel uneasy' and '-foo doesn't sit well with you' messages sum it all up pretty well.

As to the OP, take a look at my long forgotten (but not really old) thread:
http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread.php?t=61

Maybe it could all work together and make a nice, detailed RFE?

Maul
05-21-2008, 10:22 PM
"You eat the giant rat corpse (rotten). Mmmh... tasty."

No. Just no. This was one of my gripes in ADOM.
My idea: Rotten meat should cause something bad to you. Simple and necessary.
As to the eating corpses bit: what's wrong with that? You don't eat the whole corpse in ADOM anyways, you probably throw away the disgusting parts. And I would eat any raw meat if I knew it would make me able to teleport around the house, whether I'm hungry or not. Eating only when hungry = not needed IMO.

Let me also comment the OP. It'd be a GREAT idea, under certain circumstances. I can think of two kinds of games where you can get something other than meat from most animals. One is Unreal World, where you can skin everything. Those are very useful for crafting clothes and other items as well, and they are a sort of more expensive currency as people will trade you nice stuff for it. The other is the Gothic series, where you can get many different parts from the different creatures you find (teeth, claws, fur, tongues of fire lizards, dragon blood, even), some of which are used in diverse activities such as alchemy, enhancing weapons. What's common in them?

Monsters (animals) are not really common in either.

In Gothic 2, the apex of the Gothic so-far-trilogy, eventually you'll encounter a monster in every corner in the later chapters. The world is very huge too. Yet you might not have an overabundance of anything, unless you are very good at conserving things. This is especially true as the number of monsters are, for the most part, limited. In Unreal World, every weasel won't go up to you to be beaten - if you wield a spear and a bow, ready to roll, good for you, but smaller and medium animals will run from you, making your hunt difficult as you have to catch up and/or hide. And larger animals pose a great threat.
In ADOM, on the other hand, you are swimming in monsters. Every second corner you'll encounter one or more bloodthirsty, harmless or not so harmless enemies who just want to tear out your guts. You'll kill thousands of monsters per game. Assuming, for example, that you can learn to take rat tails, which are an important ingredient in making a PoGA, you'll find many hundred of them throughout the game, especially if ratlings count as well. Learn to take wolf furs, black wizard balls and hill orc tusks and you can just live in the hills until you can get enough to be set for life.

The one idea that would work in this aspect is: rare corpse parts. Let's say, something you can't find infinite of in the wilderness. If this was in ADOM, for example, snake tails, ettin heads, golem cogwheels, the like would work. Whew, that was long.

ironcash
09-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Humans should definitely be able to eat corpses. Look in the news, humans are the ones who made cannibalism cool in the first place.

CloudKing
09-05-2011, 09:04 PM
I personally enjoyed the realism of needing food in ADOM.

Moeba
09-05-2011, 10:19 PM
yeah, me too. Yet I agree about the nasty part of eating all those raw corpses. As a solution I'd hope more for some sicknesses which could occur to most races when eating rotten food or raw food. As a compensation, there might be quite some food stores/markets in villages, or even a wilderness encounter with merchants (on a road, I guess). For eating corpses, I assume something like the "don't eat the kobold" rules of ADOM will be implemented - if food will be implemented, that is.

I have no objections against cannibalism (in the game that is :D), though it would be nice if it will slowly turn you chaotic (Maybe less when starving).

Thing
09-06-2011, 03:13 AM
I like the idea of having to Butcher a corpse before eating it. Having more advanced skills/knowledge in butchery/monster lore could give you a higher chance of recovering certain parts with magical properties.

I do think eating raw corpses it rather barbaric for a L+ high elf priest to be doing but the PC should be able to do it if they want. Maybe reducing the frequency that the PC needs to eat would make it less tiresome to cook your food and adding a very small alignment drop to eating uncooked corpses.

naiyor
09-09-2011, 04:45 AM
I think that the corpse eating mechanics should remain the same...It is a very important part of the genre. I would not opposed to some moderate(or even severe) alignment issues when a L+ paladin eats a dwarf child though :)

Food is a very important part of this game. Heck i would not even be opposed to including water/beverages as part of the game.

Just my thoughts though!

Al-Khwarizmi
09-09-2011, 08:17 AM
I actually like the corpse-eating mechanics of ADOM. I don't think more complicated versions such as the DCSS mechanics requiring butchering actually add much apart from having to press more keys.

Cannibalism should definitely be possible, but I think it should alter your alignment very significantly. No one should go around eating outlaw corpses and still be considered lawful.

I also like the OP's idea. I think it's compatible with ADOM's corpse system (e.g. killing a unicorn could drop both a corpse and a horn).

dallonj
10-20-2011, 06:44 AM
many cultures have seen cannibalism as normal throughout history, especially during times of famine. it shouldn't be chaotic or evil for everyone, and all animals except humans take their meat raw not cooked, so i don't think that making the PC sick makes sense for every race, and most humans will build a tolerance to raw meat after eating it for some time. maybe give the PC diarrhea. hahahahah

this raises an interesting concept, the idea of fasting from meat (lent kind of thing) for certain lawfuls, monks or priests, maybe bards and druids might have to be vegetarian to tap into certain powers.

adom-admin
10-20-2011, 08:27 AM
As to the whole cannibalism thing, should depend on race (as it is now in ADOM), as orcses would be more liberal at eating their kin than more sophisticated races. I also think the ADOM 'you feel uneasy' and '-foo doesn't sit well with you' messages sum it all up pretty well.

As to the OP, take a look at my long forgotten (but not really old) thread:
http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread.php?t=61

Maybe it could all work together and make a nice, detailed RFE?

Yes, please. Make a detailed RFE. 0.2.0 does not yet have corpses (but only standard food) but it has the new "item processing" command. Thus allowing to process corpses into something else would be a nice addition to the 0.2.x line.