PDA

View Full Version : Experience from evading monsters

Silfir
05-14-2008, 01:39 PM
What I've been meaning to mention all this time: When Rhea, the Roman Republic Character over on the ADOM forums) was on the way to the exit of the Drakalor Chain, she was attacked by a swamp hydra (or something along those lines). When I successfully evaded the encounter, I suddenly found myself in the skill advances menu. Apparently, I managed to get a pseudo-levelup. That can only mean that you get experience for evading wildnerness encounters - an effect which I have honestly never witnessed before.

Can anyone clarify the situation?

spectre
05-14-2008, 02:22 PM
I actually got to test this a second ago, made a Raven-born dwarven fighter, with 110 speed. I waffled about in the forest and plains near terinyo, generated 5 encounters, hobgoblins, wild dogs, jackals, barbarian party. Evaded the barbarian encounter and jackals through the dialog (evade or fight), fled from all others. Experience stayed 0.

I also wanted to check, wether survival has any effect on this, so I made a Ranger, no change observed after a similar amount of encounters evaded.

So apparently not.

Silfir
05-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Huh. But where did the pseudo-levelup come from, then?

reich
05-14-2008, 03:14 PM
what's a pseudo-level up? how is it different from a regular level up?

gut
05-14-2008, 03:40 PM
I thing the 'psuedo-level up' is based more on
your skills training, than on your exp. gains.
I say this because sometimes, when killing
monsters that are worth a gazillion exp. points,
you may gain five exp. levels, but only get
three or fours skill increase menus.

Perhaps you trained a skill by evading that
wilderness encounter. My guess would be
stealth, if it was available.

Nezur
05-14-2008, 03:43 PM
what's a pseudo-level up? how is it different from a regular level up?

A very buggy "level up". It has happened to me as well after I killed a greater moloch in melee with Macros' Avatard.

Basically you do not see the congratulation or any message at all - the skill screen just suddenly pops up. I was only able to raise some of the skills.

I'm not sure about what might cause this bug.

head2
05-14-2008, 04:39 PM
I had this "pseudo-levelup" happening on my level 50 beastfighter in d50, i was like "what the hell, i'm already level 50, well ok, i'll increase my haggling skill >.<"

Baranor
05-14-2008, 05:00 PM
After level 50, you get to level up at various intervals to help increase your skills. Obviously you don't gain a level; you just get to increase skills. Theoretically, you could obtain ever skill in the game. That would be an interesting challenge game. Finish the game with every skill. It would be boring as all get out, but theoretically it would be possible.

You could expand the game to require you to obtain one of everything that is not mutually exclusive. That would be tough. You wouldn't have to get all of the prefixes and suffixes, but something like that.

Grey
05-14-2008, 05:03 PM
I've had this numerous times with L50 characters. Evading encounters trains the Stealth and Survival skills, and after L50 you can gain pseudo level ups (just the skill increases) from training stats (EDIT: I meant skills, not stats!). You can also achieve this cutting down trees, fletching arrows, picking pockets, and all sorts of other successful skill checks. You get no xp of course, just the extra skill increases. This can happen when you kill high xp monsters too.

Nezur
05-14-2008, 05:29 PM
So it's not a bug after all?

reich
05-14-2008, 06:16 PM
BTW you also get a small amount of xp when you find a hidden door, no?

Grey
05-14-2008, 07:02 PM
BTW you also get a small amount of xp when you find a hidden door, no?

Not that I'm aware of. Disarming traps earns you a small amount of xp though. As far as I know that's the only other method of gaining xp than killing monsters.

gut
05-15-2008, 12:04 AM
> and after L50 you can gain pseudo level ups
> (just the skill increases) from training stats.

Stats or skills?

I used to have a theory, that the extra skill
menu popups were from 'leftover' skill increases
that you never got to use. For instance, on
gaining your 47th, 48th, 49th, and 50th exp.
level, you may have only gotten two skill
increase menus.

For the two menus that you did get, perhaps
you had very few skills trained enough to be
increased, so you had some left over from
those menus too. I thought the game kept
track of how many increases that it 'owed'
you, and paid them back after exp. level 50.

I don't think that's the case though. I have
continued getting the menus, even after very
long play sessions. I doubt the game could
have 'owed' me THAT many : ) So now I think
it's just dependant on how much you train your
skills, after gaining exp. level 50.

Grey
05-15-2008, 12:11 AM
> and after L50 you can gain pseudo level ups
> (just the skill increases) from training stats.

Stats or skills?

Sorry, typo, I meant skills. It only happens in my experience when you gain large xp or train a skill in some manner - the latter more obviously seeming odd.

Silfir
05-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the information.

As far as I'm aware, gut, the lack of skill increases that occurs after a quick succession of level ups (47, 48 49 or something), is due to the fact that you do not have skills you can increase because they have all hit their maximums.

Even after level 50, pseudo-levelups (as in you get to increase skills as normal, but don't actually gain a level) occur periodically. I always thought they were tied to the xp gained after achieving level fifty, so I was led to theorize evading monsters gives xp (hey, it's plausible). That they are tied to the training of skills, not the gaining of xp, makes more sense. Evading the monsters has probably trained the Survival skill of Rhea, which rightfully no one bothered to max before level 50.