PDA

View Full Version : The Weakest Link Challenge Game - Sign Up!

Grey
05-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Post here in this thread if you wish to join the newest ADOM group challenge - The Weakest Link. It is now being hosted here instead of on the Hall of Fame forums.

The aim of the game:

A character will be created that goes straight to the infinite dungeon, the intention being to see how deep it can go and how well people can survive. Each player gets control of the PC for 2000 turns. During that time they must descend by at least one level - you may go as deep as you like in fact, should you dare, but you must go at least one level deeper. When they have finished they save the game, post the save here along with a report of what's happened, and the next person picks up the save game and continues for 2000 turns. As the game goes on the PC will go deeper and deeper in the ID, and sooner or later everyone will start dying gruesome deaths.

If you die then you are The Weakest Link - goodbye! You're out of the game and the next person on the list must then pick up from before you played and try to survive the same encounters. Post the highscore details from your death (no flgs though) and you'll be entered onto a group high score table. Eventually everyone will start dying away, and it'll be left to a couple of very skilled or very lucky players trying desperately to survive in the depths of infinity. Finally all will inevitably die, as the ID kills everyone in the end.

The game will be structured into several leagues, and the top two players from each league will then play against each other in one big final game. There'll obviously be a touch of pride in coming out top, but I'll give a little bonus reference to whoever manages the most stupid or amusing death too.

Rules:

-descend at least one level during your round
-no use of the up stairs (the one exception being if there's an impassable river - then you can quickly <>)
-do not exceed the turn limit of 2000 by more than 50 - try not to exceed it at all! (the tactical display will be changed to show number of moves instead of speed)
-give a post describing your activities after your round, including important info like using up prayers, items found and monsters encountered that could affect future players
-you have 72 hours to play when it comes to your turn - this can be extended to one week if you have special circumstances (this is to keep the momentum of the game going)
-no competitive hindering tactics allowed during the first 2 rounds
-any and all competitive and dirty tactics allowed on round 3 or after
-lastly, have fun - this game relies mostly on luck, with a little bit of skill; try to enjoy it and don't take things too seriously

These rules are not strictly enforced - they mostly rely on faith in the player, just as we have faith that people posting YAVPs haven't save-scummed. If you break the rules in any way and then lie about it, then the only loser is you.

Notes on Competitive Play:

After 2 rounds have passed players can start using competitive tactics to increase their chances and reduce the chances of others. For instance, a player could throw away a good melee weapon or armour because they think they can survive better than other players without it. Or someone (unnamed) could deliberately doom the PC because they think it'll improve their survival chances compared to everyone else. There are no restrictions on what you can do to damage the PC in the hopes of it giving you a competitive edge after the first 2 rounds have played out, as long as it's within the rules stated above. However you cannot deliberately benefit from withholding information about the PC! All actions that could affect other players must be noted in the game report after your turn - no hiding info about monsters around the corner, stuff you've found, etc.

Also, should you create an unsolvable situation then you're out of the game and everyone continues on from before your turn. What this means is that if everyone after you dies from your dirty tactics, and then the file comes back to you and you die too, then you are The Weakest Link, goodbye! So be careful with extreme competitive tactics - they could back-fire.

Other Details:

The deadline for sign-up is extended to midnight on Sunday due to the change of forums. On Monday the game will begin in earnest, and I'll create all necessary threads, and randomly create the groups and playing orders. The character used will be a priest of random race (no trolls though) - I will generate it and take it to the mouth of the ID, save it there and post the save here for others to continue from. The ADOM version used will be Winbeta4/DOS (the saves are compatible with each).

You can see previous discussion about the challenge on the ADOM Hall of Fame forums (http://adom.brinkster.net/forum/messages.asp?thread=5988&start=57810&page=1).

Signed up so far:

Grey
gut
Timpak
Silfir
Subconcious
FantomFang
Maul
Ars
riktikticheck
ElectricalFire
DeSt
Soirana
Molach
Evil Knievel
Reich
Covenant
deepshock
Orbic
Kato
kupico
ewolf
Oliphaunt
M_bowwarrior
PeanutGod
JSuvanto

Total: 26

(I've had to cut vogonpoet, Kingsdragon and Mozzy Tunes from the list because they haven't signed up here)

Please affirm or reaffirm your interest in this game, even if you're already on the list.

Kato
05-16-2008, 06:59 PM
If it's going to be hosted here (which seems to be FAR more stable and accessible than the other forums) then I would be more than willing to sign up and take a turn at it :D

Silfir
05-16-2008, 07:25 PM
I think you should if someone creates a situation that all other players die from, but survives it himself, he should receive the title "MASTER OF OWNAGE" or something. That's the most triumphant form of victory one can achieve in this game...

Timpak
05-16-2008, 07:29 PM
I registered here so I'm still on. (was thinking of registering here for a while but now I finally did it)

(Timpen)

reich
05-16-2008, 07:33 PM
I wonder about one thing, how do you keep track of how many turns already passed and how much you have left?? I hope it doesn't have to be done manually:eek:!

Silfir
05-16-2008, 07:35 PM
You know how your speed is shown in the bottom left corner? With the ":t" command, you can switch what is shown there. It is called the tactical display. There is one setting that shows the number of turns passed, and updates with every action you take. The existence of this option is what makes these kinds of games even possible!

Kato
05-16-2008, 07:37 PM
You know how your speed is shown in the bottom right corner? With the ":t" command, you can switch what is shown there. It is called the tactical display. There is one setting that shows the number of turns passed, and updates with every action you take. The existence of this option is what makes these kinds of games even possible!
Fixed ;) And this will make sure it's 10 characters for the forums. hehehehe

Grey
05-16-2008, 07:48 PM
I added a note to the top post about the dynamic display being changed to show the number of moves.

It's really handy in the Library too, to be sure you pass the 2000 turns to get the tome.

FantomFang
05-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Yea, im still in Darren, sign me up
*In reference to the ? =p

kupiko
05-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Hi, I'd love to join the group!!!

DeSt
05-16-2008, 08:48 PM
I'm still in ;)

Epythic
05-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Very nice idea. Sounds like you finally got... multiplayer working! :)

Would participate if I had time. I'll be watching.

One problem I see is... savescumming!

Grey
05-17-2008, 03:07 AM
One problem I see is... savescumming!

Amongst a group of mature and honest individuals that should not be a problem. In almost every challenge game we've ever had before people have been very honest, which can be seen clearly by just how quickly and easily they die - I'm sure the same will be evident here.

Soirana
05-17-2008, 03:15 AM
you can remove question mark from my name.

ewolf
05-17-2008, 04:39 AM
I'll join also.

We are using 1.1.1 correct?

Epythic
05-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Grey: never participated in any other challenge games, so I guess you are right. Twas just what came to my mind, stupid idea.

Edit: All savegames will be posted publicly, right? Nice, so I can try it without being bound to deadlines :)
Edit2: Just tried to run Winbeta4 under Wine (am usin linux), and it doesnt render correctly -- i get a non-monospace font, which completely messes up the display. Dangit.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1497/snapshot1jf6.th.png (http://img89.imageshack.us/my.php?image=snapshot1jf6.png)

Edit: tried a little bit more and didnt get it running.

Edit: The DOS version works like a charm (under dosbox).

Edit: Can we use the DOS version instead? Thats the version everybody can use.

Subconscious
05-17-2008, 09:49 AM
Yes im still in as well, I've just been too lazy to register these forums and so.

Grey
05-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Any objections to using the DOS version? I know some people have troubles with it running under Vista, though possibly DOSBox can solve that.

gut
05-17-2008, 01:36 PM
The save files for ADOM 1.1.1 Winbeta, and
ADOM 1.1.1 Dos are compatable. Couldn't we
each just use which ever version we like?

reich
05-17-2008, 01:58 PM
I think the dos version under dosbox is better since the winbeta... is just a beta:rolleyes:

(But I'd prefer Adom Sage too.)

Grey
05-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Wow, gut is indeed right. Never knew that before... Anyway, means people can use either Winbeta or DOS version - and the DOS version is easily emulated through many systems.

Maul
05-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Signing up.

Covenant
05-17-2008, 03:16 PM
I'd like to sign up again too, if it's not too late.

Orbic
05-17-2008, 05:09 PM
I confirm my interest in this game. Thanks for the idea and organisation Grey!

riktikticheck
05-17-2008, 05:20 PM
yeah still interested, altho with my recless play style i would guess i am a pretty weak link, but we are here to have fun, wich i intend to do :D

Evil Knievel
05-17-2008, 05:46 PM
I am still in. (But only from Tue, May 20 onward)

Oliphaunt
05-17-2008, 07:09 PM
I'd love to join, but my first opportunity to play will be Thursday evening, 22 May. If that's too late, I'll join in some later instalment.

M_bowwarrior
05-17-2008, 10:10 PM
singing up too(lol)

La la la la.....

gut
05-17-2008, 10:28 PM
The game won't start until monday the 19th, and
there is a 72 hour time limit (that can even be
extended) so the 22nd is not too late at all.
Don't feel awkward about using the alloted time
if you need it, that's what it's there for. There
may be several players going before you, so it
may even work out perfectly : )

Judging by the Rhea game we played, it's really
unpredictable, how the play sessions will go. We
had periods where ~8 play sessions were completed
in a day, and other periods where the save file
just seemed to drop off the face of the earth. I
think the three day 'play limit' will seldom be
used, but it's definitely not to long for anyone
to wait, should the need arise.

Grey
05-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Welcome to the forums, Oli. Playing from Thursday onwards won't be a problem.

reich
05-17-2008, 11:08 PM
whose gonna decide what sort of char is created? The first person on the list?

edit: one important issue is if the PC is going to have Healing ab initio

Grey
05-17-2008, 11:14 PM
The character will be a priest of random race, starsign and gender. I will create the initial character and make a save of that character at the mouth of the caverns of infinity, then post that save on the forums for every group to start with. I guess that means I'll also choose the initial talents - out of what tends to be popular choice I'll likely make that Alert (with Long Stride and Healthy being options if we start with more than 1 talent). Other suggestions are welcome here, but it shouldn't matter too much since everyone starts with the same thing. Obviously during play people will have to make their own decisions on talent choices and kill increases during level-ups, and in that case people will just be allowed to choose whatever they want.

reich
05-17-2008, 11:43 PM
yeah, priest is a universal enough a character to be suited for most players. Although a physically feeble race with no offensive spells might be quite problematic.

I tried out this 'tactical display' thing. It seems 2000 turns is quite a lot of in-game time (provided someone uses a standard display). It's enough to deal with about 6 dungeon levels, while exploring them entirely. In the ID the levels as soon as 10-15 can become quite deadly for inexperienced characters. This means we're gonna probably have the first weakest link by the time the third or fourth person takes the reins.

Grey
05-17-2008, 11:52 PM
With tension rooms, summoners and breeders 2000 turns can end up feeling a lot shorter. It's enough time by far to ensure being able to find the down stairs, and that's the important thing. I imagine players will be extremely cautious, which means exploring levels and killing monsters slowly, and not going deeper than they have to. Many will choose to go down the stairs and then just stay on that one level for the rest of their turns to be safe. Certainly early depths and deaths are possible, but we'll see how it pans out.

Maul
05-18-2008, 07:41 AM
Many will choose to go down the stairs and then just stay on that one level for the rest of their turns to be safe.

Or, even better, stay on the level until their 1999th turn and then will descend the stairs. :)

Also, about Alert, I suppose we aren't choosing it for Missile Weapon Master. :) In that case, I think Alert might not be a good choice. TH might bring some benefit in the long run, but it is possible to find an eternium long sword of devastation anyway, or at least something decent - and this challenge is gonna be hard anyways. We should choose something that will help low to mid-term survival (even something like Quick, for speed).

Epythic
05-18-2008, 09:10 AM
Many will choose to go down the stairs and then just stay on that one level for the rest of their turns to be safe.

Or, even better, stay on the level until their 1999th turn and then will descend the stairs. :)

Also, about Alert, I suppose we aren't choosing it for Missile Weapon Master. :) In that case, I think Alert might not be a good choice. TH might bring some benefit in the long run, but it is possible to find an eternium long sword of devastation anyway, or at least something decent - and this challenge is gonna be hard anyways. We should choose something that will help low to mid-term survival (even something like Quick, for speed).

I' pick Healthy and Long Stride.

Yesterday evening I tried it in "singleplayer mode". Was not careful, c killed me on level 7 (after 1200 turns). Anyway, *love* the raven starsign for the +10 speed. Not that it helped me in melee ;)

Crossing my fingers for that starsign.

Silfir
05-18-2008, 10:10 AM
I have to say, even 1000 turns are plenty for one dungeon level.

Epythic
05-18-2008, 10:18 AM
I better make that clear - I did not want to say that we should lower the turnits limit.

2000 turns is ok I think, its always bad to do things in a hurry, and you don't *have* to use 1999 turns.

(i know I'm not a participant.. anyway, my 0,02€)hurry.

Molach
05-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Okay, I'm here and I'm ready.

ewolf
05-18-2008, 02:12 PM
I think in the lower levels sitting in one spot for 2000 turns will cause powerful monsters to come to you, even if you dont come to them. Especially if the PC is doomed, this strategy might work against the player.

reich
05-18-2008, 02:20 PM
I wonder if you pray 2000 times with your holy symbol do you get a free divine help?

Grey
05-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Using the holy symbol in the tool slot will indeed allow you to restore enough piety for more prayers. So if you use up the initial 2 prayers available you can restore yourself to "comfortable" status with the holy symbol. It would be a good idea to use the holy symbol instead of w5 when healing.

Ars
05-18-2008, 07:14 PM
I just tried the ID after a long while... And I dived much more faster than I'd have thought at first, one big reason being that it's the only way to escape a level, or there simply was nothing to do on the level. But anyone can go as deep as they wish, that's just part of the game.

And yes I'm still in.

reich
05-18-2008, 08:47 PM
I also made a ''test drive' today. I even suprised myself when I got as deep as lev 19, advancing the orcish priest to level 12 on the way. Just to be finally killed by one critical hit of an ogre lord :( But it still was remarkable with such a weak PC: only 3 Le and 10 To, so I only had ~50 hp.

What surprised me though, was that I mastered several spells thruout the game and didn't gain even 1 point of Learning. Strange, I always thought that reading spellbooks is a natural way of traing Le :confused:

PeanutGod
05-18-2008, 10:53 PM
Darren! Been a while my man. You know it, sign me up to get back into the game!

Rufus aka -PeanutGod-

Grey
05-18-2008, 11:59 PM
Good to have you here, PeanutGod - I hope you enjoy dying in the challenge along with everyone else :)

6 hours of sign-up time remain before I create the character and put up the new challenge game threads. Last chance for any stragglers!

Smite
05-19-2008, 10:08 AM
I'm down in Australia and I'm not going to figure out the time differences. Suffice is to say that I am interested and it is Monday the 19th May.

Am I too late?

Grey
05-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Heh, you are just in time Smite... I was just putting names in a hat, so to speak. Playing list is now drawn up - the new threads will be up in a matter of minutes.

Kingsdragon
05-19-2008, 01:29 PM
Eh eh eh,
I was at a concert playing music for the past 4 days, too late to sign up eh?
Dammit.
Oh vell.
Good luck players!

Grey
05-19-2008, 01:45 PM
*does some quick shuffling*

I added you in to the end of the League of Fire - it helps round up numbers a bit, and it's only fair since you did sign up before the forum change.

Silfir
05-19-2008, 05:01 PM
This really is golden. I feel proud for providing the inspiration for this! :)

Grey
05-19-2008, 05:14 PM
As well you should - I would never have thought up something like this if it wasn't for the Roman Republic Game. (My basic thought was I liked the RRG, but how can we make it meaner?)

Lich
05-20-2008, 03:50 AM
Sounds very interesting, where do I sign up?
If it's here, then I would like to sign up.

One question: what about corruption? This will limit how long the game can keep going, because eventually the character will die of corruption

Subconscious
05-20-2008, 05:58 AM
Sounds very interesting, where do I sign up?
If it's here, then I would like to sign up.

One question: what about corruption? This will limit how long the game can keep going, because eventually the character will die of corruption

Looks like you are late. It started yesterday, my apologizes.
And I dont think any character will survive that far - It gets pretty bloody after third round :rolleyes:

Grey
05-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Yeah, sorry Lich, you're a bit too late. The challenge game has already begun.

And like Subconcious says, corruption is unlikely to be an issue. I'd be quite surprised if we even took one corruption during the course of play.

Orbic
05-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Any Chaos plague bearer / sister / brother and their family around? They might do the trick nicely!

Silfir
05-20-2008, 11:01 AM
Hey, Grey, you can still tack the poor Lich on over at the League of Air; we're not through with one round yet! Then we'll be seven players too! No need to be that strict if someone volunteers to get brutally slaughtered to the Arena Grandmaster's amusement :)

Flammeus
05-20-2008, 11:57 AM
I'm definitely interested in this, if there are free spots left in any of the leagues.

Grey
05-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Hey, Grey, you can still tack the poor Lich on over at the League of Air; we're not through with one round yet! Then we'll be seven players too! No need to be that strict if someone volunteers to get brutally slaughtered to the Arena Grandmaster's amusement :)

Hmm, well, as long as there's no objections... I guess you'd have a hard time debating whether an extra player in the league makes it easier or harder for others to win!

I've allocated Lich to the Air league, and after random selection Flammeus is entered into the Water league.

Nezur
05-20-2008, 03:19 PM
I'd like to take part as well if you don't mind.

Subconscious
05-20-2008, 03:32 PM
In-te-resting. So far I have always thought that im the only finnish ADoM player in the world and suddenly I see them everywhere.

Grey
05-20-2008, 04:18 PM
In-te-resting. So far I have always thought that im the only finnish ADoM player in the world and suddenly I see them everywhere.

You kidding me? You guys are eberywhere!

Nezur, with a touch of random selection you've been allocated to the League of Earth. However I will very soon have to declare a moratarium on more people throwing their names in even before the first round is complete.

Lich
05-21-2008, 01:10 AM
Hmm, well, as long as there's no objections... I guess you'd have a hard time debating whether an extra player in the league makes it easier or harder for others to win!

I've allocated Lich to the Air league, and after random selection Flammeus is entered into the Water league.

Thank you very much

vogonpoet
05-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Damn. I so failed to notice the move to these forums, and now everyone is having fun without me. Can I express provisional interest in a second version of this game, whenever that might be?

reich
05-21-2008, 03:49 PM
hey, the first round still isn't over, maybe Grey would be so kind to sign you in?

Grey
05-21-2008, 05:04 PM
I am feeling kindly, especially since you did sign up before the forum change. A coin toss has determined that you're allocated to the League of Fire - damn, that's more competition for me :(

Baranor
05-22-2008, 06:10 PM
CAN I JOIN? PRETTY PLEASE? It looks like some people have not shown up to their respective leagues. I LOVE this idea.

Grey
05-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Hrm... well, League of Air are 1 man short of 8, so I'll let you in at the back there.

No more after this though folks - first round will soon be complete and further sign-ups will be unfair.

Frankie
06-21-2008, 03:05 AM
ok since the first "season" is now over i do want to participate in all the following)
so, Grey, would u be so kind to sign me up for the challenge too?

Grey
06-21-2008, 03:15 AM
So hasty, heh - I'm not running another one straight away. I'll likely run a general random char challenge for Creator's Day though - coming soon.

DGMavn
07-01-2008, 07:17 PM
When will the next round of this run? It sounds awesome.

M_bowwarrior
07-01-2008, 07:48 PM
When will the next round of this run? It sounds awesome.

totally agree !
you want to organise it ?;)