PDA

View Full Version : The Weakest Link: League of Air

Grey
05-19-2008, 11:16 AM
Welcome to the League of Air!

Chaos Gate status: OPEN!
(when the Chaos Gate is opened corrupt and profane tactics will be allowed)

This thread is for game reports for this league - no general discussion here, that?s reserved for the Discussion thread. Members of the league may take part in minor discussion though in order to arrange things for their character (choosing a name for instance). Please refer to the sign-up threads for a full understanding of all game rules.

Playing Order:

1. Subconcious
2. kupico
3. reich
4. Timpak (killed)
5. M_bowwarrior
6. Silfir
7. Lich
8. Baranor (killed)
9. Subconcious (killed)
10. kupico (killed)
11. reich
12. M_bowwarrior
13. Silfir (killed and resurrected)
14. Lich (killed and resurrected)
-Chaos Gate opened-
15. reich (killed and resurrected)
16. M_bowwarrior (killed and cast into the Abyss)
17. Silfir zombie (killed)
18. Lich ghul
19. reich wraith (killed)
20. Lich (killed)

Champion of Air: reich
Runner-up: Lich

Game Reports:

After each turn you must give a full and frank description of your activities, with especial detail on things that may affect other players. This can be done as a story or as a plain retelling of events. Some notable things to include:

-dungeon levels traversed
-items found
-items lost/damaged
-prayers used
-piety gained using holy symbol
-levels gained
-skills increased
-talent choices
-stat changes
-where you left off
-monsters on the current level not killed

It is also preferred for you to create a log file with the '(' or ')' key at the end of your turn and post it in code tags. You will need to trim it down a lot to fit in the post though - I recommend cutting out inventory junk, unused weapon skills, background, kill list, and anything else that isn?t relevant to your play.

You must, of course, attach the save file to your post for the next person to pick up. This must be made into a zip file to be accepted on the forum (no other file types are allowed). There is a file limit of 97 Kb - thankfully in infinity we?re very unlikely to reach this.

Should you die please give us a report of what happened in as much gruesome detail as possible so we can mock you ;) Do not post an flg - this would reveal hidden information like equipment identifications and intrinsics. However please do give us details for the high score listing - in particular score, xps, no turns, what killed you and how, and what level you were on (most of this stuff is at the start of the achievements section of the flg).

High Score:

The infamous list of how everyone died.

10797 reich, advanced to level 12 (35477 xps), survived for 17939 turns.
Brought to his grave by a ghost lord on I16.

12844 Lich, advanced to level 12 (34455 xps), survived for 16601 turns.
Felled by an owlbear and hell hound duo on I15.

11190 M_bowwarrior, adv to level 12 (35319 xps), survived for 17037 turns.
Decimated by rust monsters on I15 and cast into the Abyss.

11449 Silfir, advanced to level 12 (33126 xps), survived for 14207 turns.
Killed by a lowly white worm on I14.

11960 Subconcious, advanced to level 12, survived for 13536 turns.
Starved to death on I14.

????? Baranor, advanced to level 11/12, survived for around 13000 turns.
Clawed open by a margoyle on I13.

????? kupico, advanced to level 11, survived for 12448 turns.
Torn apart by a dire wolf on I13.

10969 Timpak, advanced to level 10 (13748 xps), survived for 6322 turns.
Frozen to death by an ogre magus whilst dazzled by a door on I9.

The resurrected:

10728 reich, advanced to level 12, survived for 16663 turns.
Butchered by a herd of angry rust monsters on I15.

10706 Lich, advanced to level 12, survived for 16492 turns.
Slaughtered by the same old rust monsters on I15.

12352 Silfir, advanced to level 12, survived for 16471 turns.
Gangraped by rust monsters on I15.

kupiko
05-19-2008, 02:00 PM
1 Question...do we try to play cooperative building strong character till only maybe 3 or 4 players are left? And then start cruel competitive play for only 2 best ones to stay in lead?

Subconscious
05-19-2008, 03:34 PM
Alrite folks! Im done the first descending already so here it comes:

Actually nothing exciting, went down to ID:1 and began exploring around. Found some basic junk and stuff, killed some monsters etc.. Got her to LVL 3, I picked "healthy".

I descended downstairs around 1000 turns and I got almost killed by puny orc who was lucky enough (or unlucky) to score massive critical that took me down to 1 hp, gladly enough I survived (Well it's glad for me, maybe not for you :p), healed, and continued killing and robbing the place off. I Found chainmail and threw clothes away etc etc etc... Got LVL 6, and picked "porter" (Usually I dont get porter talents but this aint normal game rite?)

ID:2 cleared and descended to ID: 3, Found two spellbooks (Slow poison, Cure light wounds) and used all my rest turns reading them and casting cure light wounds on myself.

Silfir
05-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Man, this is boring. We can heal HP, poison and sickness now. Next thing we might actually get ourselves an offensive spell, and then this will take forever...

kupiko
05-19-2008, 05:01 PM
Descended to lvl 5 during playing getting few cooked corpses for us and raising our girl to lvl8. Skills i raised where concentration, first aid, food preservation and literacy. Found spellbook of slow poison ( another one ) and holy awe ( nice to help us from danger ). I had one hard time killing karmic lizard and now i'm surrounded by another one and one large orc. Almost out of missiles and hp. I tried wand on him so now we know it's wand of knocking and almost of no use to us now. Started training him in daggers and throwing rocks wherever i could...Good luck this one will be challenging :)

EDIT: found out just now by comparing saves that our X raised str by 1!

kupiko
05-19-2008, 05:02 PM
Heh offensive spell is something we REALLY could use now :D

Subconscious
05-19-2008, 05:37 PM
Oh sorry, forgot to name her.. Give her something air related? It wouldnt be "cool" to play as "lady X".

reich
05-19-2008, 06:27 PM
Okay, mr Kupiko left me at dire straits - surrounded in a tunnel by a karmic lizard and a large orc. So, optimistically, I started out by renaming the character to 'Xantia' :)

Not seeing another option, I decided to ask for divine help. Fully healed, I grabbed a mace and managed to bash my way out of the deathtrap.

I ventured onward to ID 6, where I negotiated a rat tension room. Only to find myself eye to... eyes with a dark elven wizard and a horde of his pet spiders a little further down the road. Even with Slow Poison up my sleeve, I decided not to spare myself the harrowing battle and escaped deeper to ID 7.

Advancement to level 9! I notched Concentration to 100. Spent the next to upgrades on Archery and the final one on First Aid. I decided to invest in the Strong Thrower talent. With no offensive spells, according to my experience, thrown rocks are the only avaible weapon against the increasingly tougher monsters.

Two new spellbooks: Light (used it up) and Remove Curse. Narrowly escaping death from a fire vortex, I plunged on to ID 8. The situation seemed to get stable and that level was pretty uneventful. I descended to ID 9... only to face a horrible surprise. A tension room full of ogres adjacent to the room with the staircase! Nowhere to run or hide!

I managed to steadily slay a bunch of them, but had only a handful of rocks left when my turn limit was up. Cure Light Wounds is running low, the bastards damaged the ringmail, and there is still an Ogre Magus, along with several other ogres left in the room!

So good luck to the next person, this battle still can be won! Remember you still have a potion of extra healing left and are just 800 xp away to level 10!

EDIT: also St +1

Silfir
05-20-2008, 10:53 AM
Why, oh why did you waste a precious talent on STRONG THROWER????!!!11one

Having kind of worked over the shock, I can sort of see the use of a bit of extra range, but don't we have enough thanks to our weapon skill already? I would have preferred Good Shot. By far. Just so we can get to the other, more powerful archery talents in a reasonable timeframe.

EDIT: Because I read the Water League thread, uncautiously, I have received information that, in lieu of a better procedure, I now have to ensure you receive too to reestablish equal chances: Our cursed ring is actually a ring of stun resistance.

M_bowwarrior
05-20-2008, 03:36 PM
for making a general tactic for our Xantia, let's see what seems to be vital or necessary...

to do list :

talents to take, caracs to boost, technics to do (as reading "just" for reading...), weapon to use, monsters to eat, tactics to use...

NOT to do list :

id

I've no idea, because i never play this sort of character. so, be pragmatic.

let's cooperate ;)

please cite this message (the interresting part of course) and complete the list inside, removing the "quote".

Silfir
05-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Whew. Let's see. Hurthling priest. Well... Um...

Let's just read the threads of the other leagues and shamefully copy their tactics! :P

Okay, for real now. The current situation is pretty dire. To be honest, I don't know what's our best bet. The ogre magus is going to be heaps of trouble. As far as I'm aware, we don't have a lot of PV... Maybe we should melee some ogres so we can shoot the magus with the rocks we do still have. Pay close attention to the origin of the frost bolts.

EDIT: Good Shot might be a good idea. I guess it's too late for Hardy and PV talents now - we're better off finally taking Treasure Hunter to get some decent armour. Maybe we should get Potent Aura and Strong Healer afterwards to boost our Cure Light Wounds spell.

reich
05-20-2008, 06:40 PM
for the current situation, I'd suggest the next person NOT to kill the orc on the adjacent square!! Instead, set tactics to coward and use the holy symbol until healed. Then, it is essential to somehow get to the square the orc is occupying- there's a heap of more than 20 rocks, which are the only reliable weapon for the time being. Achieving this might mean salvation for Xantia! I think the Holy Awe spell can help here.

I don't know if we should discuss any long-term tactics, since it's quite possible nobody will be able to get past this tension room:eek:! And just think the other league has Divine Wrath at their disposal:mad:!! We could fry those ogres in no time!
TO DO: get some offensive spells ASAP!:p

About the Strong thrower, I think it's better to have +2 range than +1 to hit from Good Shot!

Edit: Timpak has time until tomorrow midnight to make his move or we're gonna have to shift him to the end of the list! But I can see he is online now! Maybe we'll see the next episode soon!

Timpak
05-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Sorry I didn't play earlier, I only had the main thread in favourites so I didn't notice the game had started fully! While beeing obsessed by my now avatar of order. Well well here we go:

The absolutely first thing I notice is the magus behind the orc, what to do I think. While spending my time praying an ogre switches place with the magus. After a while praying I notice that they switch places pretty often, I might have a use for that. Just now I'm thinking of praying enough to be able to heal 3-4 times, kill the orc, lure the ogres into the first room, then run for it.

7 ogres, 1 orc, 1 ogre magus, how the hell am I going to run away from them! If I kill the orc I'll have a room with 15 spaces to lure 8 animals, that should be doable.

After 100 turns spent praying and calculating some on piety I assume my prayers for healing to 3. I'm still figuring out what to do. Tried the wand but nothing happened, don't want to waste charges if it's an effect I can't notice so didn't zap it more.

After 200 turns praying I start thinking that I might kill of some of the ogres, then make a run for it. I also notice a ripping sound meaning there is a spider on the level, I hate spiders.

Turn 213, I kill the orc when the ogres is a bit away from his back, I have enough time to grab the rocks before an ogre comes close to me! I might use this tactic to kill all ogres, use rocks to kill them one by one, when I'm out of rocks I can hit the ogre down to critical then pray until the rest backs away and grab the rocks again. One ogre down, two ogres down, three ogres down Ding ding!

Level 10, since thrown rocks are our best offense atm I take archery, and max out food preservation, +1st +1ma. Right after lvlup I notice that the ogres are backed away, so I rush in and grab the loot, 2 ogre corpses, a sling, a medium shield and 8 rocks. While killing the ogres one by one the total loot is:

a sling
a medium shield
19 rocks

With an ogre and the magus left I make the run for it. Had to use yet another prayer and the ground rumbled. Chased by the ogre and his magus friend I encounter a locked door, kick it and...... get blinded. The ice blast is killing me, it takes of 20-30 hp a shot. Stumbling around blind, I die........ frozen to death.

Next person trying this on. Pray a lot more before killing the orc, you will need it.

Grey
05-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Tricky situation - another corpse for the pile now. Who will be next to die?

Please give some detail for the high score listing, Timpak - in particular no moves, xps, and score. No flg though (at least not the full thing - you can quote the first couple of lines from Achievements if you like).

Subconscious
05-20-2008, 08:54 PM
Wow that doesnt sound too good.. what if we all die there and no one survives? :confused:

Timpak
05-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Score: 10969
Clvl: 10
IDlvl: 9
Xp: 13748
Turns: 6322

She was frozen to death by an ogre magus while beeing blind by kicking a door. Iirc the message was something like the ice bolt splattered me or something like that, really sounded awful.

If your pray alot before killing the orc, alot more than I did, it shouldn't be to hard using my tactics.

Grey
05-20-2008, 09:04 PM
Subconcious:
Whilst I hope that doesn't happen, there are two possibilities:

1.) The league is over, and the winners will be whoever scores the highest out of Subconcious, kupico and reich (who all survived one turn).

2.) Everyone is resurrected except reich, and Timpak takes his turn over, since it was reich that landed everyone into the mess.

3.) Everyone is resurrected and reich retakes his turn before the ogres, since the unwinnable situation was brought about purely by bad luck that he suffered (as can be seen from his post he was forced to flee down the stairs several times to escape death).

I'm in favour of the third option personally, though I'm welcome to hear the opinions of other group members. The decision here will not necessarily affect similar situations in other groups, since I think every such dilemna must be considered individually. However, there's still the possibility that someone manages to struggle through, and their success where others failed will greatly increase their chances of victory overall. Keep trying guys :)

Thanks for the info, Timpak. You have the honour of being the first blood spilled in your group. The Arena Grandmaster is grateful for your entertainment :)

Timpak
05-20-2008, 09:25 PM
I'm voting for options 3 :D

It was lovely even though I died so fast. Bet it was adoms way of telling me it is not okay to mock the adom gods by killing ElDeR cHaOs GoD with 5 unused wishes and 9 socr left.

reich
05-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Timpak, you were doing really good! It seems that while excersising caution the situation is negotiable.

But it would be very helpful if you revealed the location of the trapped door (if that's not against the rules:rolleyes:). Is it directly behind the tension room, with no other way around? If that's the case, it will probably be necessary to confront the magus.

Grey
05-20-2008, 10:22 PM
But it would be very helpful if you revealed the location of the trapped door (if that's not against the rules:rolleyes:).

That is most certainly against the rules! Even knowing there's a trap out there is a bit iffy - others have an advantage that Timpak didn't.

reich
05-20-2008, 10:33 PM
If it is against the rules, isn't this contradictory to the general rule of detailed and truthful reports after each player's turn?

And Timpak cannot be helped now anyway...

Timpak
05-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Knowing there's a trap on a id level doesn't give much help imo, with the amount of traps in id it's almost like saying you'll encounter a wraith in dwarven graveyard :P

Never wanted to tell where it was though, it's a competition after all.

Grey
05-20-2008, 10:42 PM
If it is against the rules, isn't this contradictory to the general rule of detailed and truthful reports after each player's turn?

This isn't a player's turn, it's a player's death - quite a difference. There's to be no hiding information to help yourself, certainly, but I don't think Timpak can benefit now :) On the other hand a departed player should not reveal information he found through his death. You'll see in the first post of this thread that there are separate instructions on what to do after a death than what to do after you've succeeded in your turn and passed the file on. Timpak did right in not divulging the exact location of the trap. (If he had survived then of course the trap wouldn't still be around to report.)

kupiko
05-20-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm voting for option 3 :) it prolongs the game...Of course those that died in previous rounds wouldn't be ressurected! If we decided on competition between leagues as something official, trying to get as deep as possible for ex., than this option might be changed to option 1 so it's not unfair.

M_bowwarrior
05-21-2008, 02:15 AM
I'm the next person, but I don't play before 22/05 20h gmt+1

Next person trying this on. Pray a lot more before killing the orc, you will need it.

what do you wnat to say ? pray, it is just having a religious tool and use it ? it is "only" in order to ask divine help ?
I never use divine help in an adom game, so, what does it give ?

thanks for the mess it seem to be ;)

Grey
05-21-2008, 02:32 AM
I shouldn't be giving advice outside my own group... but, well, none of the rest of your league are online now and I'm feeling generous.

'u'sing the holy symbol in the tool slot builds up your piety a tiny amount. Keep doing it a *lot* (several hundred turns) and it'll let you pray for healing more. Refer well to the tactics Timpak used - they were very sound, even though ultimately he failed in the end. Best of luck... I think you'll need it really badly.

M_bowwarrior
05-21-2008, 10:12 AM
just a question : there is no need to "visit" the whole level ? why not "just" find the next level and go downstairs?
I don't want to take so gorgeous risks if it's a bit too tricky.

Silfir
05-21-2008, 01:24 PM
Thing is, bowwarrior, we already know the location of the stairs. And on the route to it, we have a tension room of orcs, ogres and an ogre magus.

Option 3 is fine by me, though personally I'd prefer surviving and kicking a whole lot of competitors out ;)

reich
05-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Thing is, bowwarrior, we already know the location of the stairs. And on the route to it, we have a tension room of orcs, ogres and an ogre magus.

do we? The only part of the level so far discovered is the initial room with the up staircase and the tension room. The down staircase lies somewhere in the fog of war.

Silfir
05-21-2008, 01:52 PM
Oh, adjacent to the room with the UP staircase was the tension room... Misread that part.

But, the second part of what I said still holds true. We may not know the location of the stairs, but on the route there we definitely have a tension room of orcs, ogres and an ogre magus! :P

M_bowwarrior
05-21-2008, 11:53 PM
let's go !
so, after praying in coward mode and use the "first aid" skill when hit by the orc, i begin to be "you feel confortable". I think it's a good new.
turn 6300 approx, i feel more touch in the word and hear a strange zap and low mumbling, ripping and slurping sound.
turn 6500 I have only 57/73 hp. so let's continue praying
turn 6800, 66/73 and the kobold shaman corpse just finish to rot on the floor... (yes, when you pray, sometimes you look at smalls details who are not the most important things... just boring)
turn 7000, 64/73 (he pass through my armor one time...), and I decide to start fighting !
berzerker mode, one punch, one kill... return to coward mode ;), loot the 30 rocks and the sling, and continue to fight after putting the sling in weapon (yes, after 60 turns I understand it's better without).
fighting in very aggresive mode, use the cure light wound spell when it's needed(in coward mode), and kill 3 ogres, level 10 !
increase the first aid (i miss one half of my try)

after killing almost everybody (there is two ogre alive) I go back to take rocks in the floor and finish them.
turn 7127, after no divine help (but magical healing, why don't you use it ????), I finish them ! year, now I've to finish the entertainment, and be carefull with doors. I've found a tin wand and two corpse (cooked and eated).
I've equiped the sling to increase the stat in this weapon.

found skeletons, a spider (be poisoned, use the slow poison spell), and continue. turn 7284
ah... a necromancer... oki, I understand for the skeleton staff. (whaou, a pixie zombie... funny :) )
finish the huge quantity of skeletons, zombies and spiders (with hand because lack of rocks). turn 7374.

argh, a dark elven priest hit me four times in one turn (with corruption, bleed, and 7/81hp) maybe a divine help ? so, lets search in the keybinding the correct button to do it... invoke mindcraft ? bah, I'm not sure, so let's see the manual.......... it seems to be just "pray"... so let's pray ! with a cooking set, but... :)
whaou, all my life come back, and I start again to fight. come back to 23/81 (with lots of "you feel corrupted..., always in very agressive) and kill this vicious creature !

I continue in the corridor, to find huge quantities of spiders... finishing to use the heal spell (sorry for next one, but it's that or the dead), and increase enormously the slow poison spell... and the sling weapon.
39 large spiders dead, turn 7780.
level 11 !, increase my archery.

turn 7923 I found the level down stair, whaou, so I have "only" 80 turns to visit ;)
with a rapid view of the place, in 80 turns, I can do nothing in this level, so let's go outside (yes, I have to go level down in my turn game).

A small room, a door, a corridor, a pink golem ! argh ! turn 7998...

I'm going to flee in coward mode for two turn, and... next one
the golem is just under, near the crossing.
next one !!!!!!!!!
I'm proud of me.

Orbic
05-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Well done! impressive turn, and did not seem easy.

M_bowwarrior
05-22-2008, 08:32 AM
yes, as I said somewhere, in the part visited, there is just a tension room, a necromancer and a dark elven priest (both with loooooooots of pets). it's hardcore when you don't have huge quantities of rock. we need a bow and munitions for it, it's more powerful and less weight.

I don't remember if we have the fletchery skill, but kicking doors give the correct wood for making arrows. (kick opens door after having closed them, there is no traps ;) )

Orbic
05-22-2008, 10:22 AM
No fletchery as I remember but you still have music - don't forget it when dealing with tons of spiders :)

M_bowwarrior
05-22-2008, 10:49 AM
No fletchery as I remember but you still have music - don't forget it when dealing with tons of spiders :)
I've read we have to be very good to have a correct use of music. when I use the spell to scare monsters, it doesn"t work with ogres and spiders (and skeletons, but...)

Baranor
05-22-2008, 07:10 PM
Do we know if the Karmic Lizards were Melee'd or Stoned to death? Are we cursed and doomed? We seem to be having just about the worst luck amongst the guilds.

reich
05-22-2008, 09:03 PM
I killed two with stones. And didn't really feel like I was doomed when playing, so I guess we're ok for now. We just have 'normal' bad luck :)

We really need some offensive spells right now!

gut
05-22-2008, 10:37 PM
Trust me, you're not doomed : )

Silfir
05-22-2008, 11:46 PM
You! Go back to your Water League. You're just here to steal our strategies! :P

Baranor
05-22-2008, 11:52 PM
Are you playing Silfir? I'm getting all excited for my turn!

gut
05-23-2008, 12:16 AM
> You're just here to steal our strategies! :P

I go to the Earth and Fire Leagues to steal
strategies, thank you very much. I come
HERE to make a nuisance of myself : )

Baranor
05-23-2008, 04:38 PM
We are going on 41 hours of non play! This makes me a sad panda.

Silfir
05-24-2008, 01:58 PM
Reporting live from the League of Air arena

Alright, let's see... A flesh golem... That's going to be a tad bit challenging.

13 turns in I get a strength and mana increase. Very spiffy.

The golem is nowhere to be seen, so I equip the metal girdle people have been afraid to use for some reason. Now we have 5 PV. I keep using the holy symbol until the dreadful pink abomination shows itself.

Berserk rock... Slightly damaged.
Next rock... Critical hit, the flesh golem is finished. That's what you were getting all frightened about?

Noticing that I sense a certain tension while happily continuing to pray. Vow to be very careful.

At turn 8288 (I assure you, it was a boring endeavour) I've wasted enough time using the holy symbol to be yet again at full health. Time to do some exploring! Stupid me decided to stuff myself full of cooked meat before starting the exploring, so I was in bloated mode.

I notice no distant wind, so I can get a bit more calm about the tension room. No vortex means there is a pretty good chance it is not a mixed one. Also, no vortex is always good news.

A giant frog takes our ring mail down to a single point of PV. This has got to be a bad joke. Are you SURE we're not doomed? Because I got a "punch through your armour" once more before I managed to slay the damn thing.

Collected a scroll labelled "HITME".

A fucking silver wolf just took me to Bleeding with an exclamation mark! Can't we melee anything? First Aid stopped the bleeding thankfully. At 44 of 87 HP, and almost at the same spot I did this first, I once again vow to start getting our piety up with a holy symbol... But first I decide to start cooking the delicious silver wolf corpse. Bad move: An orc chieftain interrupts me and starts beating the crap out of me. I drink a potion of extra healing - Doesn't work right. Should have blessed it, but with what? I decide to use rocks in normal mode. Orc chieftain is killed, and we have 18 HP left.

At this point I realize that my chances are getting really slim. I just hope I'll get through the other 1516 turns barely alive while having advanced to I11. Not taking risks anymore - I'll wait out 1000 turns praying with the holy symbol waiting for my HP to max if I have to.

8805 turns - finally not bloated anymore! 51 HP, and still no interruptions!

Keeping pressing "u", I have time to think. I apologize for my reaction when I heard about the Strong Thrower talent having been taken. I wasn't aware we were THIS SHITTY in melee.

9121 turns - I'm fully healed up once again. This time, my exploring shall be far more careful. There's still about half a level yet uncovered, and the tension still unopened. Here we go... I ready our best stack of rocks, the six with the three extra damage, and carefully venture forth.

"You are welcomed by a multitude of angry sounds". Welcomed, ha, by what? The sweet embrace of death? I immediately turn tail and run.

I find the down staircase, but am ambushed by a shadow lord and a ghost. Jesus Christ, this is bad. What am I going to do? Descend, try to take them down in a confined space, but avoiding to be swarmed by even more impossible enemies? That shadow lord already drained away one point of strength!

I check the class powers screen - I've prayed enough for me to regain my turn undead power! Oh Shalla, this better work.

First try - failure. Second try - the ghost gives up. Third try - failure. The shadow lord misses our cowardly hurthling all the three times. I move two squares to the down staircase, readying myself for a quick escape should another impossible monster join the party, shadow lord on my toes. Fourth try - failure. The shadow lord hits me, dealing 14 points of damage and taking me to bleeding, also draining yet another point of strength. First Aid stops the blood loss and gives me 3 HP back, now to 63. There still is air. Come on, Shalla, don't leave me hanging here! Turn undead fails - the shadow lord hits me again, drains even more strength, only 48 HP left. I'm fucked!

I weigh my options - our wands are reportedly useless. The Holy Awe spell is unlikely to be more effective. Fighting back is unlikely to work - it's a frigging shadow lord after all. I can still pray, but I'd lose the turn undead power if I did. Thankfully, I'm still one on one. Maybe one round spent on dropping enough stuff to remove Strained status will enable me to outrun the dreadful abomination, but where should I run to? The level is probably crawling with monsters out of that damn vault by now! Maybe I11 offers better chances? I decide on the following course of action: Keep turning undead (I hate you, Shalla) until it either works or I have to pray. After that, drop stuff to get me to normal weight (a lot of things will have to go), then descend. I'll keep the random drinking of unidentified potions as a last resort, right after trying to fight.

Sixth try turning undead - "The shadow lord cowls in terror." (Never mind, Shalla - You're the best!) I'm saved - for now. I immediately descend, entering I11. No hostile monster in sight - terrific. Time to heal myself up again.

Turn 9436 - "You sense imminent danger... but the feeling passes." - I was sensing imminent danger ALL THE FUCKING TIME, and it sure as hell didn't pass!

Turn 9582 - One of our strength points is back. Being strained does have its advantages!

Turn 9637 - Fully healed up. Whew. Time to ditch the ring mail. It only has 1 PV, and we're in no shape to melee anything now anyway. Better to be only burdened. Speed is at 96 - Unacceptable. Drop some more junk on the stairs, including one cooked large spider corpse and two single rocks - Single stacks won't help us much in a pinch. Now we are at 101 again, plus Long Stride. Much better.

Hmm... No tension to be felt. Loving I11 so far! Read the book of Remove Curse until it disappears. We can't afford to lug the spell around, and 82 casting points should last us a while.

Kill shadow centipede, wild cat, huge bat. I find leather armor. It has four PV! We are now at 33/7 in coward mode! Of course, we are also only barely below the limit for burdened status, but my lucky find has increased our survival chances considerably.

Find a translucent potion. Decide to stop exploring and heal myself up using the holy symbol. I'm at 85/86 HP now, the turn counter is at 10000, and there's no monster I know of on the level (No special messages except the imminent danger/feeing passes one). The up staircases are hidden beneath the light grey [ - the ring mail. The brown ] is a wooden stick. The light grey ( is a short sword. It's only a regular 1d6 one, so not worth going back and getting, that's for sure.

Closing words:

We are awfully short on rocks, people - a pickaxe would be a godsend now, or a goblin rockthrower tension room. During my turn, we gained one point of mana, and had a net loss of one point of strength; two increases, one shadow lord hitting us three times. I started out with 4 PV, was 5 PV after equipping the metal girdle (how long was this there, burning a hole in our pack?), 4 PV after a fight against a brutal giant frog, 3 PV after deciding to ditch the useless ring mail, and now at 7 PV thanks to a leather armor. I drank the potion of extra healing, but did not waste a prayer - I even got ourselves enough piety to turn undead, and used that ability to save my sorry hide. Now to save!

Try to get a bit more melee skills when it's safe. Also, pick up everything you find and try to wield-identify everything not cursed, unless it's possible for it to be auto-cursing! Our metal girdle should've been equipped immediately; there are no auto-cursing girdles, and the 25 stones one is always a regular metal girdle!

M_bowwarrior
05-24-2008, 03:43 PM
well done !
something very important for everybody : when you wait until full heal, use the "remove curse" spell to uncurse various equipment stuff... we have to do it when mana is not vital (and we don't need for praying :))

Silfir
05-24-2008, 03:45 PM
Our Remove Curse knowledge is limited. We should only uncurse stuff we actually need uncursed. Though it is true that the only spell I actually used during this turn was Light, to light up the dark room with the "HITME" scroll.

EDIT: The rules say I have to take note of skills increased. Um... Listening increased by 8 randomly at some point. I forgot to mention it. Please don't disqualify me!

:P

Lich
05-24-2008, 05:15 PM
I really didn't expect to make it through my turn because I have never been that deep into the ID, but with the blessings of the Air League, I have preservered.

I was standing in a corridor on I11, my first priority was to find the stairs, so that I may escape if anything dangerous came along.

Nothing remarkable happened on I11, although I did get nervous when I was surrounded in a corridor by a ratling warlord and a minotaur. Fortunately, rocks took care of them all. I think right now it's better for us to throw rocks, because the (-3,+1) sling does more harm than good by making the rocks miss.

When I found the stairs on I11, I decided to do some exploring. I met a goblin rockthrower, so I ran around until it won't throw stuff at me any more. As a result, we now have a pile of 5 stacking rocks. Further exploration brought me into a room where I found another ratling warlord, a cave bear, an owlbear, and a quasit. At the same time, a margoyle was approaching me. Not wanting to risk it, I descended to I12.

I must say I had really good luck because I found the down staircase in the room right next to the up staircase. I killed a cave bear along the way, and it did about 30 points of damage. No problem, pray until healed.

Now to explore I12. As I opened the door, I saw nothing but white worms. All that time spent praying gave them time to multiply. Not having anything better to do, I took out my mace and started whacking them. Therefore, our skill in maces is now at 6, which increased our DV by 1.

Yes, we do suck in melee, the white worms were hitting me, so I retreated, and prayed until I reached my turn limit. This probably would have given the worms more time to multiply.

The biggest bad news is: we now have no food, and the white worms don't really drop anything. With all the praying I have done, divine satiation should be possible. However, this is certainly not desirable. On the plus side, with all these white worms, I12 is probably completely safe now.

Sorry about this, but how do I attach files?

Lich
05-24-2008, 05:23 PM
Oh, there it goes.
Baranor, the fate of our beloved priestess now rests in your hands, may Shalla watch over you.

Baranor
05-24-2008, 10:17 PM
Death.

It sucks.

Having no food also blows.

Descend. Acid vortex to the face takes me to 16. Within a few prayers I'm at starving. I have to pray for life and THEN satiation. I'm chilling and praying and a margoyle shows up. He can still hit me while coward so I decide that I have to try and run away. I run down the corridor and an anhkeg is sitting there. The anhkeg can't kill the margoyle with breath, but it sure damages me and the margoyle is still hitting me. I see this going badly so I decide to chance a one shot kill of the margoyle going berserk and still live. BOTH hit me at that moment taking me from about 75 down to zero. In the end it was the margoyles hit that did me in.

Other people will have more luck because the level will generate differently. Go air! The lack of food might just do us in.

Grey
05-25-2008, 12:28 AM
Ouch... Could you please also give the details of no turns, xps and level when you died?

And congratulations on your team for being the first to make it through one round, though you lost two good men in the process. The next round will be fiendish for you all, and after that it's gonna get mighty interesting...

gut
05-25-2008, 01:37 AM
Silfir:
> but am ambushed by a shadow lord and a ghost

You should have used the baptism of fire spell...
Oh wait, it's the Water League that has that spell!
Ha ha ha!

Kidding, and it's a bummer that the RNG does seem
to have it out for you. I'm starting to think your PC
actually might be cursed, that shadow shouldn't
have been THAT successful with it's drain attacks.
If you were doomed though, it probably would have
meant death.

Subconscious
05-25-2008, 09:43 AM
I screwed up.

It went nicely in the beginning, In ID: 13 I found 7LB!!! After some killing I found enough food to keep myself alive and continued slaughtering. There was big mess near at the stairs leading down and I went down when vortex was generated and I was coming there, I left all of our rocks there.

ID: 14. I got hunGGGGry aGGGain, Gotta find some FFFFooooDDDD. But unfortunately, no food to be found. No one left corpses, nothing. Got desperate and found myself fighting Dark elven lord which almost killed me, an there went my all piety. Next step was: "MORTAL YOU ART A NUISANCE" "You are starvng" "You are poisoned" "You are overburdened" "You feel uncomfortable" etc etc etc. "You die...."

Xantia, the hurthling priest, starved to death.
She scored 11960 points and advanced to level 12.
She survived for 0 years, 6 days, 11 hours, 37 minutes and 31 seconds (13536
turns).

Im out.

kupiko
05-25-2008, 09:57 AM
LOL my turn, looking forward...Should be able to do it tonight even though I just landed in Slovakia and I'm going to visit friends first :-)

reich
05-25-2008, 12:43 PM
This is unbelievable.
We are starving with like 95 Food Preservation. For 12 ID levels we never found a single combat spellbook. Not one decent melee weapon, hard to kill anything with that lousy mace. Not even a spear to get some DV. No rocks. A giant frog busted our armor. How can it get any worse?:D

M_bowwarrior
05-25-2008, 12:54 PM
This is unbelievable.
We are starving with like 95 Food Preservation. For 12 ID levels we never found a single combat spellbook. Not one decent melee weapon, hard to kill anything with that lousy mace. Not even a spear to get some DV. No rocks. A giant frog busted our armor. How can it get any worse?:D

we can start to be corrupted... :D

Silfir
05-26-2008, 10:28 AM
Actually, m_bowwarrior, some of the corruptions that are available make my mouth water. I'd consider entering a corruption trap over and over for a shot at the tough scales one, or the corrupted tissue one.

What's with that food trouble - I hope none of you got back to burdened? We really have to stay in unburdened status now. We have no food, and we need the speed to run away with!

kupiko
05-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Ok i find myself counscious again good news...I try to pray and i feel comfortable :) no better way to start a day...First thing i see tho are door in front of me cracking and looking as if some biig demon was trying to get through them. Not being coward i open them and see thousands of worms crawling towards me...BAAAD first one punched through my armor and took me down to 47. We sure are at least cursed!
I still don't give up and smash through some 5 worms pretty easily but it start's to be big mess around. Floor is already slick enough and all those worm bodies...i have bad feeling our lovely girl is developing WORM phobia so i just decide to go downstairs and look if i don't find some nicer friends

50 turns left and i descend...one freaky worm still in my heels! So i finish him off! Picking up scroll of Kapow that was lying on the floor and hooray to explore...But i first pray a bit and heal up...K up to 70 hp and female bandit shows up...They say 'they look for weak and helpless' K i'm gonna show her i'm not that weak! K i press 4 and the button gets stuck so i happily smash through her and run head on through corridor bumping into annis hag and letting her hit me twice before i manage to free the poor button! Our first aid increased to 100 during that headlong charge :) at least some nice news.

K now really i don't like hags so i gotta be careful...Switching to aggressive ouch few turns later i'm bleeding and have like 50 hp left while doing small dmg to her. Now only chance is rocks. Pity we trained slings and not rocks so now we are pretty weak at throwing them! Took me 3 rocks to kill her but i found them in her body along with new ring(aquamarine again) into our collection. Invoked magic 4 times total but nothing happend luckily!

200 turns passed and i better heal up again...Oh wait i'm Hungry baad news so i gotta explore...
Lol werewolf and his company await me k i thing foooood...well killed a few volwes, never managed to get to their corpses so they rotted stupid me...So i run to get them somewhere i can pick their corpses at. They damage my armor so now we lost 2 PV.
K managed to kill wolf and eat him but i had hard time defending while killing him so i knew it's going to be bad. I was enclosed in the room with up stairs and dire wolf just killed me!

Blah well good luck someone else. I don't think i wrote anything in this post that's gonna help next player so i leave it like this! :) i'm writing as i'm playing so you know.
Lvl 11 when died, and nothing really changed in those 448 turn, just descended one lvl in ID so i don't post flg. ENJOY!!! Those that survived that is :)

M_bowwarrior
05-26-2008, 11:47 AM
bad luck kupito... but (of course, don't tell us) you know if we are doomed, cursed, etc...

another question : it's me who start to increase slings. for me it's obvious we need to use a weapon, because a weapon can increase caracteristics. Is the race/profession we have change something to that ?

why people don't like slings ?

and another question, what mean rng (something about the random creation, but...)

we are the first leage with so many dead people, hang on your helmet guys ;)

Silfir
05-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Well, when I started up, I noticed we were at level 5 in slings and level 5 in thrown rocks. Had we continued to use thrown rocks, we'd have achieved level 7 in that, and ended up with considerably higher damage and to-hit. The difference between sling and thrown rocks is usually only marginal: A normal sling adds one point of damage and probably some range. OUR sling added one point of damage, but SUBTRACTED three points of to-hit. Considering our skill in thrown rocks and our dependency on the rocks we find, it was a very bad choice (sorry, m_bowwarrior) to "waste" the rocks on poor sling skills instead of further improving our killing power throwing them.

As I said, by the time I got the game, we were on 5 in both skills, so I figured "Bah, the damage is already done" and kept on using the sling so we could switch to one without to-hit penalties at some point and at least get the extra point of damage, also there's the chance for a sling with higher modifiers or one of the long shot.

The RNG is the Random Number Generator, or Random Number God. It's the supernatural entity inside all of our computers that determines whether our character finds early seven league boots or meets an acid vortex right after entering a new level... Or both in quick succession. Cruel, cruel Random Number God.

reich
05-26-2008, 02:24 PM
First, some general points.

another question : it's me who start to increase slings. for me it's obvious we need to use a weapon, because a weapon can increase caracteristics. Is the race/profession we have change something to that ?

Yes! Hurtlings have a racial bonus to thrown rocks. I think the notion of the small folks being good throwers goes as far back as JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit, where Bilbo used to kill giant spiders with stones. Slings are okay, but in our case it's probably better to use bare hands, especially as we have a very lousy sling with -1 to hit.

and another question, what mean rng (something about the random creation, but...)

Random Number Generator is a mathematical algorithm that ADOM (and other roguelikes) uses to create a random number from a given set. It's like some virtual dice. If a weapon deals 1 d8 damage, each time it hits the RNG gives you a random number from 1 to 8. In fact, the RNG is used to determine every random element of the game: monsters spawned, items generated, size & layout of rooms on a dungeon level etc. So the RNG rules everything in a roguelike game, and it's been quite cruel to Xantia:mad:.

And now...

######################THE REPORT: 14 000 turns#############################

The bad news: Xantia still doesn't have any offensive spells
The good news: Xantia has plenty of food now. And other things. Here's what happened:

For a warm-up, I decided to fight the white worms for a while. A paricularily nasty panzer-white worm almost killed me, so I retreated to ID 13.
The threat of starvation was temporarily prevented when I found a displacer beast corpse. Eating it put me in minor trouble, as I found myself dazed & confused next to a hostile gnoll chieftain and master swordsman! They pushed me around a little, but when my mind cleared and I defeated them I found an orcish spear of vampirism. It has -2 to hit, which sucks, but it gives a nice little bonus to health each time Xantia hits a living enemy. Now we can even kill something in melee, finally!
An encounter with a wererat left Xantia with a supply of 5 giant rat corpses, no less. I cooked them of course. This should be enough for at least the next two players :)
Death was close when two flesh golems and a hill giant trapped me in a corridor. Desperately, I tried out the tin wand, which turned out to be a wand of magic missiles! I used up the two remaining charges to blast my way out of the trap, so sorry guys! Maybe you will find some booze on the way:p Still, I had to ask for divine help to get out alive. But I used the holy symbol quite a lot and Xantia is still comfortable with her goddess.
Xantia is now level 12. I upgraded First Aid to 100, Food Preservation to 100, Archery and Music (hey, we have a harp and could use the help of a tame gizzly bear!). New Talent: Good Shot (I was also considering Stealthy).
Thanks to the corpse of said hill giant and to me for carrying a lot of things we had +3 Str in total. Xantia is now at her current maximum!
I intended to stay on ID 13 for the rest of my turns, but the situation got hairy. More master swordsmen, clay golems and such started chasing me around, and I still had just a couple of not-stacked rocks left. So I had to venture deeper to ID 14.
Explored part of the level. Found a strange metal girdle (never knew what those were for - it gives -1 DV) and an iron ration. Small key broke when I locked some doors.
Watch out for monsters! THere's a lightning vortex directly behind the closed and locked door to the west (I locked the door so no pesky kobold opens it). And, frustratingly, more white worms in the locked room to the east!!! They had some time to multiply when I stopped for healing, so getting through them can be tough! Better to check out the door to the north first, maybe they lead to the stairs.

CLOSING COMMENTS:
Those 2000 turns were not as bad as I expected, despite a few tense moments. Xantia gained a level, 3 points of Strenght, a good weapon and a supply of food. The current situation may be troublesome, but hey, it could have been far worse!

reich
05-26-2008, 02:32 PM
(locked door)
#########+# #####
#.........# #.....
####.........###############.....
VORTEX+.....@.../..%..........+......WHITE WORMZ
#.........###############......
#/........# #......
######### #/######### #.....
#.......# #.# #.....
#..<....#########+# #####
#.................#
#############.....#####
#.....+....
###########

Xantia St:15 Le:15 Wi:22 Dx:14 To:16 Ch:14 Ap:11 Ma:15 Pe:13 L
DV/PV: 18/7 H: 54(94) P: 84(84) Exp: 12/32582 I14 M: 14000
Burdened

M_bowwarrior
05-26-2008, 04:03 PM
[...]using the sling so we could switch to one without to-hit penalties at some point and at least get the extra point of damage, also there's the chance for a sling with higher modifiers or one of the long shot.
It's the aim why I use this "not to good" sling.

@ Reich: Well done ! so, is the bottom door is closed (I don't think so, you see a bit after) or is it a good reason for closing it ? could you tell me more (greasy song) about this level ?

(locked door)
#########+# #####
#.........# #.....
####.........###############.....
VORTEX+.....@.../..%..........+......WHITE WORMZ
#.........###############......
#/........# #......
######### #/######### #.....
#.......# #.# #.....
#..<....#########+# #####
#.................#
#############.....#####
#.....+....(dangerous things ???????)
###########

I'm waiting your answer to start playing my turn.

reich
05-26-2008, 04:26 PM
I think the door near the bottom of the screen is locked. I locked it when I wanted to cook a corpse, so no monster disturbs me. Now the key is broken so you will have to kick it down. THere shouldn't be any traps. I have no idea what can be further or any other intel about the level. Just don't open that door to the leftm you won't have time to shoot the vortex!

M_bowwarrior
05-26-2008, 07:09 PM
so let's go. I try to go on the bottom of the map. put the sling (as we said in french, je suis tetu comme une mule !) and walk with this burping sound...
A corridor... a shield... a nice one ! and... a big room with worms, yellow j and a lizard... running (as I can) to find a corridor, a door, kick it and fight ! and here, I understand the use of a vampirism weapon :
started at ~50hp, finish the bat at 80hp after 4-5 hit ! awesome !
too many worms, this yellow j after, and behind me the bottom stair... let's see.
turn 14130, go down with a worm, and arrive in a small room with a corridor and a large ration (eated now because it's heavy) and a smell of tension... hum hum...

find a vapor rat, a hell hound (who give a cursed corpse who is destroyed in the cooking)
turn 14288, find a climbing set (usefull ????). go back because it's an end way
turn 14390, find a door... drop the five rats and the mace to stop the burdened status, and open/kick it. found a giant slug and another infect creature... fight the slug, who (of course) destroy some equipment parts. I found a sudden leather armor who is worse than this one, and see that some parts of our equipment have been dissolved... sic...

turn 14473, another door, same manipulation (drop things), and open it. door locked, (of course) so kick it.
.... fire ball trap, 30hp lost, and a tension full of.... of r.... of ru.... yes, you have guessed... rusts monsters:(.

###########
#.[..@RR..R
######### ############################### #####.#####RRRR
#.......# #.............................# #.....# RR
#.......# ###.###############.#####.......# #.##### R
#.......# #.........../.......# #.climb.# #.#
#.......###...........######### #..set..#######.#
#....A../.............# #....B..#.......#
#.......###...........# #.......#.#######
#.......# #...........# #.......#.#
#############/######### #########.#
#...............# #.......#
#########.#############.#################.#######
#.........# #.../2.........1/...#
#...<.##### #####...slug....#####
#.....# #...........#
####### #############

let's try, but our vampirism weapon have to be switch with the mace, fortunately I have it.
turn 14488, rust shield
turn 14495, shield destroyed
turn 14498, rust cap
turn 14503, first kill.
turn 14507, second kill.
turn 14507, cap destroyed, I'm at 8/5
turn 14515, mace rust
turn 14524, mace destroyed, I equip the vampirism weapon.
turn 14525, spear rust
turn 14551, touched through the armor, 19hp and an armor damaged.
turn 14559, 9hp... I need help ! hohe, deus ex machina, help me... "_".
the ground rumble, my life come back, and let's continue the fight...
few turns after, come back to 3hp... pray another time.... oops, Someone tell me that I'm a nuisance. Me ? this rusts monsters ! need to flee :mad: yes, one square between the rust monster and me, so I close the slug's door 1. pray until I'm full heal.
turn 14734, Archery and stealth increase of +3
turn 15284, start to be hungry, but I don't put everything on the floor (the cooking is here, but not the whole food).
turn 15284, archery +1 always unconfortable, eat the lizard corpse
turn 15570, open the door (there is another one after to flee.
turn 15586, 9/94hp.... and the orchis knife destroyed. fleeing another time... close the slug door 2. restart to pray until full heal
turn ~15900 stop to be unconfortable.
turn 16000 47hp, and a tricky position. but we have seen worse :D

equipment available :
Head : -
Neck : -
Body : uncursed leather armor [+0, +2] [150s]
Girdle : uncursed strange metal girdle [40s]
Cloak : uncursed hooded cloak [+1, +0] [40s]
Right Hand : -
Left Hand : -
Right Ring : cursed aquamarine ring [1s]
Left Ring : uncursed nograin ring [1s]
Bracers : -
Gauntlets : uncursed gloves [+0, +1] [6s]
Boots : blessed leather boots [+0, +0] [25s]
Missile weapon: uncursed sling (-3, +1) [3s]
Missiles : blessed rock (+0, 1d4) [5s]
Tool : uncursed holy symbol [5s]

I suggest to try in coward mode to put the rusts monsters in the left (A) and top right (B) room, and after to try to continue after the tension room, where the downstairs is I hope.

M_bowwarrior
05-26-2008, 07:50 PM
silfir, if you need more informations....

Silfir
05-27-2008, 11:33 AM
... Holy shit. Let's see if I can make it out of this alive...

And reich... The girdle you equipped... It weighs 40 stones. If that doesn't ring a bell yet, maybe this will ensure that it will in the future:

IT'S A GODDAMNED GIRDLE OF WEIGHT! NEVER EQUIP SOMETHING LIKE IT AGAIN!

(Sorry, but I had to get it off my chest. I make mistakes frequently, too...)

M_bowwarrior
05-27-2008, 11:57 AM
IT'S A GODDAMNED GIRDLE OF WEIGHT! NEVER EQUIP SOMETHING LIKE IT AGAIN!
hum... heu.... I think it's me who equip it, after destruction of the other one... sorry sorry:(:(

and for the holy shit, be happy, it coud be a cursed shit:cool: but you're right, if you succeed you're a semi god.

Silfir
05-27-2008, 12:07 PM
Well, m_bowwarrior, let's make a mortality check to see if I am...

Start off the turn with unequipping the girdle of weight. Shake my head at the four points of PV lost since the last time. You people really play ball with my nerves.

Take a look at the equipment. Our options are nearly nonexistant. We have NOTHING.

Goddammit, I'm FUCKED. I have to advance a dungeon level, but how?

m_bowwarrior's plan sounds extremely dangerous, but it really does seem like the only thing I can do. I's amazing how AWESOME a spellbook of Earthquake would be to have. Lots of rocks and an open level to find the staircase in? SOLD!

Oh well. I think one of the things I can do to maximize my chances of success is uncursing the shimmering potion. Who knows, it might save my ass.

Whee, gained 1 point of effectiveness in Remove Curse. Thanks.

Okay, this is a shitty place to heal up and pray (Why, oh why didn't m_bowwarrior get ambushed? My situation wouldn't be as dire then!), so I decide to get to a more open space. Cue hardcore praying session.

Turn 16283 - Feel hungry. Eat cooked giant rat corpse.

Turn 16397 - Fully healed up. Whew. Now to go check behind that door.

Hmm... Loads of rust monsters and a ghul. Fighting is pointless - I'd be sure to die. So let the running commence!

Some of you REALLY should have taken the Quick talents, by the by.

Turn 16444. I'm now in room A. Five rust monsters have ganged up on me. 61 HP left.

Turn 16453. Was aiming for the door, but it was blocked. 46 HP. I'm as good as dead now.

Turn 16463. Paralyzation induced by the ghul is over. I'm bleeding and at 26 HP. Can't afford to use First Aid now. Door is still blocked by another rust monster.

Turn 16470. I die, being surrounded by rust monsters.

Closing words:

In hindsight, I did an idiotic thing letting myself be trapped in that upper left room. I also should have tried dipping the potions in the magic missiles wand, and maybe kept praying to regain a divine favour. (Come to think of it, I didn't even try to pray - wouldn't have saved my in my situation anyway.) I used none of the rocks - six rocks against nine rust monsters?

Still, even all that would have been very unlikely to help me. To anyone who actually manages to survive this: I draw my hat before you. But in all seriousness, I doubt it. It just is that hopeless - easily the most difficult situation so far in all the Weakest Link Leagues. We have NOTHING. Even if someone got past the rust monsters waiting behind the door in the initial save... The hallway is long, and without weapons, even ONE opposing rust monster that had been waiting back in the initial room will kill us. Not to mention what is behind the door in the tension room back there?

M_bowwarrior, you will have to hope someone - or you - manages a miracle. I'm only human.

Xantia, the hurthling priest, was killed by a rust monster.
She scored 12352 points and advanced to level 12.
She survived for 16471 turns.

M_bowwarrior
05-27-2008, 12:23 PM
yes, I know it's a (as we said in france) "putain de situation d'encul? de merde !"
but, maybe rusts monsters could be scared with "holy awe" (the spell, the B one if I remember)

who know.
and maybe try wands, and potions, who know...
The last tension room (my first turn) is much more easy than this one.

I hope I don't let everybody to dead... but I don't select the level with this tension room ! remember it. and I guess everybody will be in the same "putain de situation d...." as ours if someone else have played this level. we HAVE to pass through this tension room... (or maybe the outside level is hidden in a secret room ? between slug room and upside room.

Silfir
05-27-2008, 12:31 PM
I don't select the level with this tension room

You did. You were the one who generated it. If no one, including yourself, survives this level, we'll get a restart with you out (At least that's the impression I was given).

vogonpoet
05-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Yeah, if everyone including M_b dies to the rust monsters, then M_b is the weakest link, and the game continues - it will be Silfir's go, with Reich's save file, just as if M_b's turn which generated the rust monsters never happened.

The RNG is a wonderful thing eh M_b?

If anyone does survive, I will be impressed.

M_bowwarrior
05-27-2008, 01:27 PM
Yeah, if everyone including M_b dies to the rust monsters, then M_b is the weakest link, and the game continues - it will be Silfir's go, with Reich's save file, just as if M_b's turn which generated the rust monsters never happened.

The RNG is a wonderful thing eh M_b?

If anyone does survive, I will be impressed.

hey, my "technic" could be classified in competitive play :)
if everybody die, I'm the last one :D

but yes, RNG is .... wonderful...

reich
05-27-2008, 02:07 PM
hey, my "technic" could be classified in competitive play

Well, this rule that was brought up was intended to prevent 'over-competetive' players and therefore could be used no sooner than competetive tactics are allowed, that is after round two. So I'm not sure if it should be applied here.
If both Lich and me die in the next turns, we're probably gonna have to come back to that discussion we had at the ogre tension room...

Covenant
05-27-2008, 02:47 PM
I know this isn't my league, but I just wanted to wish you guys luck - you've really had to fight for it, it seems.

Ars
05-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Well, this rule that was brought up was intended to prevent 'over-competetive' players and therefore could be used no sooner than competetive tactics are allowed, that is after round two. So I'm not sure if it should be applied here.
If both Lich and me die in the next turns, we're probably gonna have to come back to that discussion we had at the ogre tension room...
I don't see why that rule shouldn't be applied here - it's essentially a similar situation. The one with most skill slugs it out (or not).

vogonpoet
05-27-2008, 03:42 PM
No no no, the rule brought up is the be all and end all of all rule arguments, and is and was applicable from the very start on ID1.

If you get unlucky, and create a terrible situation at the end of your go, and no one survives, the play returns to you. If you also fail to survive, you are the weakest link, play resumes from the start of your original turn.

Whilst one role of the rule is to penalise players who get carried away with the competitive side of things in later rounds, a second role of the rule is to ensure that only one player gets penalised for their own bad luck, rather than the entire league.

Is that fair? No, its ADOM.

Silfir
05-27-2008, 04:12 PM
vogonpoet is the one who came up with that rule, and Grey adapted it like that. But if I understood him right, the rule is gone completely after the chaos gates are open... Or maybe restricted to very extreme applications of competitive play?

Grey
05-27-2008, 04:48 PM
The rule will apply in this situation - I think it's the only fair way to handle it. Obviously it's not M_bowwarrior's fault that the rust monsters were generated, but it could be argued that he put the team in an unwinnable situation by letting all their weapons get rusted away. Plus it's his bad luck that generated the situation I guess - the RNG is a cruel mistress, letting you survive the ogres yet be so harshly punished here! But that is the way of the game. Le merde for you M_bowwarrior if you can't survive this situation either.

However... I think you're all pussies. What's with all the declaring of doom? Silfir, your tactics were flawed in my opinion - there was no chance of running rings round that many rust monsters. In the Fire league we fight through our problems - you should learn to do the same! The weapons are available, you're just not thinking of how to use them properly. Let's see if the others can be more imaginative and get themselves out of this mess...

Also, note that the chaos gate will be opened after Lich's turn, allowing competitive tactics. But it will not be officially declared until this mess is sorted.

M_bowwarrior
05-27-2008, 05:17 PM
hum, let's see what the fire league have done... :)

Silfir
05-27-2008, 05:17 PM
WHAT WEAPONS? Six rocks? Come ON. I don't know about your League of Fire, but I bet you have more than six rocks and your bare hands left. Grey, either you're not being serious, or you come off as a condescendent arsehole (knowing you, I assume the former). Play this for yourself, after it is over, and show me how you survived on your first try.

The only way we could survive this is if the three unidentified potions we have are boost mana, mana, and booze. That would possibly give us enough recharges for our wand to take out all or most of the rust monsters.

I also will say at this point that by now, it's not only the rust monsters anymore. I won't tell about the other thing because the rules say I don't need to and I died and I want all the other to die, too.

I mean, I know I didn't handle this perfectly. No one can ever handle anything perfectly. Maybe I should have thought my options through, come up with another way to handle it. Hell, I probably handled it the dumbest way possible. But you can't seriously tell me that this situation "should be" survivable unless you prove it.

Come to think of it, by now I've already given too much information. Now my fellow players know that running around the rust monsters trying to get behind them probably won't work. Should've just wrote "I died" and left it at that, huh?

Grey
05-27-2008, 05:24 PM
Yes.

Think about it.

reich
05-27-2008, 05:27 PM
We could dip the rocks in water and wait for them to multiply! Of course!!

M_bowwarrior
05-27-2008, 05:28 PM
don't we have darkness ? I know we have light (usefull ????) but for darkness, ... it's out of my mind.

and with 6 rocks, I guess it will be difficult to kill... approximatively 10 rust monster. and there is a rust monster more red than the other (I've seen it when I fight them on the top est of the map).

maybe tame them with harp, or feed them with metal...

if we scare/tame/feed enouth of them, maybe we can do something...:o

M_bowwarrior
05-27-2008, 05:29 PM
We could dip the rocks in water and wait for them to multiply! Of course!!

hum ! you're joking ????????????????????????:eek::eek::eek:

Silfir
05-27-2008, 05:34 PM
Sadly, m_bowwarrior, he is. Rather black humour, given our situation, though I did crack a smile, loving black humour :)

We do not have the Darkness spell - Believe me, I've checked! I certainly would have used it if we had had it.

Off the top of my head, I think all the metal we could have fed rust monsters with has been rusted away by yours truly. Even if we could scrape together enough to tame one rust monster, and name it Chuck Norris, it would not be strong enough to kill 9+x rust monsters and 1 large rust monster.

EDIT: I have an idea - if we really all die to this situation, make it the objective of the "Weakest Link Special Challenge" for all the players that already lost, so they have something to do (and tear their hair out over) while anxiously following our progress. They could try, and try, and try, and at some point someone will report "I FUCKING DID IT" and we'll all stand in awe, like when that one guy did the Eternium Man.

M_bowwarrior
05-27-2008, 05:36 PM
money... Have I drop money before fleeing ? money is metal...:confused:

Silfir
05-27-2008, 05:37 PM
Well... Not any metal the rust monsters will eat. Sorry.

Besides, I don't think rust monsters can be TAMED with metal. They can pe pacified, yes, but tamed?

M_bowwarrior
05-27-2008, 08:04 PM
a proposition : put a rock (the best one) on the hand and use it as a melee weapon. it could be tried.
good luck lich

PeanutGod
05-27-2008, 08:42 PM
If only every monster could be bribed to leave you the hell alone....

kupiko
05-27-2008, 10:20 PM
actually rocks are pretty useful when used in mellee, mostly with higher skill in them. Give it a try!

Lich
05-28-2008, 02:47 AM
All right, the RNG doesn't like us.
We now have no weapons and no shield, and even rocks are precious. How can we be on I15 and still fretting about rocks?
Turn 16001, wield a rock
It would be pretty hilarious if I accidentally wielded a cursed rock and can't remove it.
Well, my death should not be too far away...
I need a miracle.

Lich
05-28-2008, 03:29 AM
Ok, 47 hp, pray until healed.
Open door, that's a lot of rust monsters.
I don't think trying to run circles around them will help. They have higher speed, and if I ever get surrounded, I'm screwed.
I guess my only option is to try my luck fighting.
16417: fled to the upper corridor to do some 1-on-1 fighting
16418: throw a rock, the rust monster is slightly injured
16419: looking at my melee damage with the rock, 1d4+10! Ok, attack! "you hit the rust monster but do not manage to harm it", well, that's great.
16420: hit it again (what else could I have done?) "you hit the rust monster but do not manage to harm it", but the thing hit me twice
16421: the same thing again. Since it's hitting me on normal, might as well go berserk
16427: "the rust monster critically hits you", this isn't working
Looking in the inventory, I don't see anything helpful, unless one of the wands is a wand of lightning with a million charges, or maybe a wand of nuclear missiles.
16444: only 29hp left, time to start randomly zap wands. The result: none of them is useful
16445: 22hp, start dipping wand of magic missile in random potions
16446: the translucent potion is wasted
16447: dull potion: the uncursed wand of magic missiles seem to soak up the liquid, I got 2 charges
16448: "the rust monster punches through your armor and hits you", time to pray
16449: healed
16450: magic missile, killed one of them
Now I whack at them on berserk, killed 2 more. One of them was at critically injured and it took me 7 hits to finish it off. They have very high PV
Low on health, I'm trying to wrench a final charge from the wand of magic missiles
Nothing happened! I received 2 critical hits but the stupid wand won't fire.
16491: I die

She scored 10706 points and advanced to level 12.
She survived for 0 years, 7 days, 19 hours, 51 minutes and 44 seconds (16492
turns).

A note: in my last few moments, I saw 2 ghuls. So it's very likely that there's a necromancer somewhere on the level.

Grey
05-28-2008, 04:08 AM
The Arena Grandmaster cackles loudly. "Blood, blood, glorious blood! Bring us more! MORE!" He rises quickly from his throne and screams, "OPEN THE GATE!"

In the murky darkness in the far depths of the earth a group of demonic grues move unseen towards a black metal gate. They attack it with their claws and their slavering fangs, puncturing holes in the thick metal. With a shrill hissing noise chaotic energies come bursting out, and the gate is torn to pieces by the vile forces escaping, filling the air with the horrible scent of taint and corruption.

Foul winds blow over your face, and your skin tingles with excitement. You hear dark whisperings in your ear and profane thoughts whistle through your brain, ideas sparked of treachery and deceit. An evil chuckle escapes your lips...

The Arena Grandmaster shouts out, "League of Air! The Chaos Gate is now open! All competitive tactics are now allowed! Tear each other to pieces for our amusement!"

Grey
05-28-2008, 04:12 AM
Funny how the two leagues least in need of competitive tactics are the first to have their gates opened... Still, they may be closed again if neither reich nor M_bowwarrior can manage to get through the Trial of Rust.

Pity the rock-wielding tactic didn't work - didn't realise the monsters had such ludicrous PV. Going to make them hard to kill by any means. However, if either reich or M_bowwarrior manage to make it through they will be guaranteed a place in the League of Mana. Best of luck, chaps!

Silfir
05-28-2008, 10:50 AM
Lich, you really are dumb. I noticed the ghuls as well, but was smart enough not to warn the other players of the possibility of a necromancer... And passing on the knowledge of the dull potion being booze was not exactly smart. Don't you want to have a chance at staying in the league?

Maul
05-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Lich, you really are dumb. I noticed the ghuls as well, but was smart enough not to warn the other players of the possibility of a necromancer... And passing on the knowledge of the dull potion being booze was not exactly smart. Don't you want to have a chance at staying in the league?
You're a nice guy, aren't you?

Silfir
05-28-2008, 11:44 AM
I should clarify that "dumb" should be read as "too damn nice". This *is* a competition, after all. Of course we are asked not to employ overly competitive tactics in the early parts of it, but I sure as hell am not obligated, if I have died, to give the other players any kind of helpful information. I WANT them to die too, because that's my last chance of getting back into the game and eventually maybe winning or finishing second! "The Chaos Gate is closed" means I am not allowed to sabotage the chances of winning of the others, but it does NOT mean that I have to compromise my OWN chances in any way. If I do by passing on information even after I have died and poor performance of the others is my last chance, I am "nice". And "dumb".

So, Maul, assuming your comment was sarcastic, I can only say "Thanks for the compliment. I don't want to be nice - I want to win."

gut
05-28-2008, 11:47 AM
The Air League'ers begin to turn on one another,
I love it! Now if only one of the Fire League'ers
would follow suit. : )

M_bowwarrior
05-28-2008, 11:58 AM
reich ? have you won the rusts monsters ? (please, said yes !)

vogonpoet
05-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Ha ha, you all win rust monster prizes.
Rust monsters for all:

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Enjoy (-;

Silfir
05-28-2008, 03:19 PM
I LOVE the one widdle large rust monster in there :)

And now, fellow competitors, get back to screwing up your own leagues! This one's ours!

Maul
05-28-2008, 04:19 PM
But we have already had our share of:

R

M_bowwarrior
05-28-2008, 05:02 PM
for the next one, try dipping the magic wand in the potion, to make refuel it... maybe it could kill a line of rust monsters...

Covenant
05-28-2008, 05:55 PM
You don't have any unidentified gems, do you? There's always the off-chance one is a crystal of darkness.
I'm going to try your save myself after the competition, just to see if I can get out of this (unsolvable?)situation. Doubt it, but it should be fun trying.

reich
05-28-2008, 06:51 PM
She scored 10728 points and advanced to level 12 (35121 xps).
She survived for 0 years, 7 days, 21 hours, 28 minutes and 20 seconds (16663
turns).

She was despised by Shalla.
Really? Didn't feel like it at all:rolleyes:

Trying to bash those Rs with a rock proved completely futile, they have just to much health and PV. It's hard to even wound them, and they score hits on poor Xantia almost every turn, even when she is on coward tactics.

I re-charged the wand of missiled and got 3 charges, but they only got some of those monsters severely wounded, and that was not enough to take them down manually. For some reason I wasn't able to wrench a final charge from the wand, just like Lich. Maybe Xantia had too low Willpower? Holy Awe doesn't work on them either.

When I tried all my options, I tried to run and loose them in a corridor loop, but I was surrounded and killed. I think this situation really is unwinnable. But from my standpoint, that in not necessarily a bad thing now :>

Grey
05-28-2008, 07:15 PM
M_bowwarrior, this is your final chance. If you win you will be crowned Champion of Air and you will enter the final League of Mana. If you fail you will be cast into the Abyss and the others will be resurrected to continue without you. Let your fate now be decided!

Also I really have to repeat this quite loudly - WHEN YOU DIE POST HOW MUCH XP YOU GOT. If M_bowwarrior wins this now I have no way of telling who comes second, because none of you have posted your acquired xp. Please check your flg or high score list and let me know.

Baranor
05-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Can us other scrubs get some resurrection here? Nah, it's ok. I'll get back in on the next game. Some of us died to stupid luck. Lack of food really hurts.

M_bowwarrior
05-28-2008, 08:17 PM
It seems to be impossible... argh... I done it tomorrow, maybe... but I think the abyss is for me.
good night and see you on Radio ADOM tomorrow !

reich
05-28-2008, 08:25 PM
10728 reich, advanced to level 12, survived for 16663 turns.
Butchered by a herb of angry rust monsters on I13.

A herb of rust monsters? You wouldn't like a typo on your gravestone, would you, Grey? Please correct this!:mad::p

Grey
05-28-2008, 09:20 PM
That better? ;P

Nezur
05-28-2008, 09:52 PM
Hmmm... the mental image is hilarious. I laughed out loud. :)

FantomFang
05-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Silfir was gangraped by rust monsters on I15, and Reich on I13? Man, those rust monsters have done some travelling!

M_bowwarrior
05-29-2008, 12:32 PM
so let's start.

first, I try to dip this wand... and et voila, three missile loaded ! yes... it's a good news (jusque la tout va bien... jusque la tout va bien...)

I've a strategy : open the door, kill the most of them in the room with the magic missile, and flee near the door of the principal room with "one" R, kill him without the sling (she have a -3) in berzerk mode (if I need I can switch in coward mode to refuel the four rock by spinning with the R).

After, open the door, let enter the minimum monster, (one if possible...) and restart again. maybe the holy awe could help me to affraid some of them and close them in the A and B room...

so, pray until full health (not crazy :) ) open the door, shoot three times, kill 1 or 2 R, and flee...
Everything work nicely...
go on the room, achieve to close after one R enter !!!! and berkerker it with rocks as I said before.
after three refuel, one R more in the kill list !
pray until restore hp turn 16700 approx.
okay... I'm curious, so I try the third wand... who seems to be... interesting, for a strategy (but everybody know in the league of air his use, I think, because in this sort of dead trap we have to try everything.)
I use it for a protecting strategy to manage me some place to pray alone... those R make too many noise to pray correctly ;)
opening of the doooooooooooor !
argh, lots of thems enter... and one (or two) ghouls.
maybe there is a ghoul maker, because those rusts monsters are at the beginning alone. that could explain the lack of popping creature in the free rooms (sadly).
I achieve to close the door of the room B... by using the holy awe to scare them... and allow one square between them and me. yes, this room have "now" a door... and the corridor have some too.

pray turn by turn, waiting to be full mp and hp. and after...
try to put them in the room and flee ? not very easy (but the top corridor is close by a door, so maybe it will be a safe way). but no other solutions.
turn 17000... let's go ! Adriennne !!!! one, two, three R one ghul, and one R... argh...
another ghul and R arrive, so another spin in the room...
turn 17022, I'm in the top right corner, with 6R, 3z and one R.
try to affraid the R first, in order to use my deity to make z flee... holy awe don't work, I have to pray for hp, and try to make z flee with the holy symbol... it's working ! yes, one path direction south... try ! oops, 3hp... and die...

#####
#####.*.###
#.[.........
######### ############################### #####.###.......
#.......# #........+............/.......# #.....# ###.....
#.......# ###/###############/#####......z# #.##### ....
#.......# #.........../..../..# #..zRRRR# #.# ....
#.......###...........######### #...RRRR#######.# ##+
#......./.............# #.....@z#.......#
#.......###...........# #R......#.#######
#.......# #...+.......# #.zz....#.#
#############/######### #########.#
#...............# #.......#
#########.#############.#################.#######
#.........# #.../.........../...#
#...<.##### #####...........#####
#.....# #...........#
####### #############

Xantia St:15 Le:15 Wi:22 Dx:14 To:16 Ch:14 Ap:11 Ma:15 Pe:13 L
DV/PV: 21/3 H: -1(94) P: 7(84) Exp: 12/35319 I15 M: 17037
Coward

She scored 11190 points and advanced to level 12.
She survived for 0 years, 8 days, 1 hour, 16 minutes and 17 seconds (17037
turns).

She was despised by Shalla.
She asked for 7 divine interventions.

The following monsters were vanquished:
6 rust monsters

very tricky situation... who want to try ? :rolleyes:

so, let's start again together before the bad joke of the RNG. who is the next one ? everybody resurrect ?

Timpak
05-29-2008, 12:42 PM
This means Silfir, Lich and reich is resurrected no? Starting with reich save.

M_bowwarrior
05-29-2008, 01:24 PM
This means Silfir, Lich and reich is resurrected no? Starting with reich save.

and me ?:o

Laukku
05-29-2008, 01:32 PM
After, open the door, let enter the minimum monster, (one if possible...) and restart again. maybe the holy awe could help me to affraid some of them and close them in the A and B room...

That is a tension room, right? AFAIK Holy Awe\Scare Monster does not work at all on tension room monsters. The message produced is something like "[monster] ignores your spell." Same thing with arena monsters.

EDIT: Whoops, I remembered wrong. It was the Calm Monster spell that worked that way. Never mind.

vogonpoet
05-29-2008, 01:40 PM
and me ?:o
You're dead dude :)
Next time try to have less bad luck when generating an ID level.

Grey
05-29-2008, 02:29 PM
The Arena Grandmaster grabs M_bowwarior's bloody corpse in one huge gauntleted hand and squeezes it dry. "You have failed the test of infinity! To the Abyss!!" He opens a portal into the depths of the demonic realm and sends the adventurer's shrieking soul through. Thousands of hungry dark creatures set upon M_bowwarrior's pathetic spirit as he screams in eternal agony.

The Arena Granmaster looks at the other corpses littering the floor and mutters in disgust. "Pathetic cretins, you have not provided near enough entertainment yet!" He mumbles a dark chant and the corpses slowly reanimate.

Silfir rises jerkily to his feet, green fluids leaking from an infested neck wound and maggots pouring from his open chest. The zombie murmurs "braaaains" and stumbles about aimlessly.

Lich slavers white foam from his dead lips as he eagerly rises from the ground, his skin now turned horribly pale. The ghul twitches excitedly, gnashing his teeth and looking around for living things to attack.

reich steadily hovers upwards, his semi-transparent body disappearing where his legs were chewed off by an insatiable rust monster. The wraith's mouth opens in an expression of eternal anguish and hatred for the living.

"You now may fight again, you disgusting maggots, though you deserve no such mercy. The Chaos Gate remains open, and the depths of infinity may be explored from reich's last position. Go forth now, and find a less shameful way to end your miserable existence!"

As the undead begin to shuffle slowly to the dungeon entrance the Silfir zombie tries chewing on the Lich ghul's cranium, but the ghul lashes out and tears Silfir's arm off. The zombie grabs his arm back and mournfully follows the others into the dark depths of infinity. "Braaains...?"

The Arena Grandmaster curses the dark gods. "So hard to find good sport these days..."

Maul
05-29-2008, 02:34 PM
The Arena Grandmaster grabs M_bowwarior's bloody corpse in one huge gauntleted hand and squeezes it dry. "You have failed the test of infinity! To the Abyss!!" He opens a portal into the depths of the demonic realm and sends the adventurer's shrieking soul through. Thousands of hungry dark creatures set upon M_bowwarrior's pathetic spirit as he screams in eternal agony.

The Arena Granmaster looks at the other corpses littering the floor and mutters in disgust. "Pathetic cretins, you have not provided near enough entertainment yet!" He mumbles a dark chant and the corpses slowly reanimate.

Silfir rises jerkily to his feet, green fluids leaking from an infested neck wound and maggots pouring from his open chest. The zombie murmurs "braaaains" and stumbles about aimlessly.

Lich slavers white foam from his dead lips as he eagerly rises from the ground, his skin now turned horribly pale. The ghul twitches excitedly, gnashing his teeth and looking around for living things to attack.

reich steadily hovers upwards, his semi-transparent body disappearing where his legs were chewed off by an insatiable rust monster. The wraith's mouth opens in an expression of eternal anguish and hatred for the living.

"You now may fight again, you disgusting maggots, though you deserve no such mercy. The Chaos Gate remains open, and the depths of infinity may be explored from reich's last position. Go forth now, and find a less shameful way to end your miserable existence!"

As the undead begin to shuffle slowly to the dungeon entrance the Silfir zombie tries chewing on the Lich ghul's cranium, but the ghul lashes out and tears Silfir's arm off. The zombie grabs his arm back and mournfully follows the others into the dark depths of infinity. "Braaains...?"

The Arena Grandmaster curses the dark gods. "So hard to find good sport these days..."

YOU WIN, SIR.

(Sorry for the OT :))

Silfir
05-29-2008, 03:21 PM
No trouble at all. He really does win.

Also, braaaains.

Grey
05-29-2008, 03:35 PM
League of Air, as you can see from the Trial of Rust thread there is a chance (albeit slim) that you may have new players joining their group. Does that seem unfair? Tough if you think so - you all died and are lucky to still be in the game :P You can reduce the chance of extra competition entering by trying to get your comrades killed more quickly using competitive tactics - once the winners of the league are decided there can be no added entrants.

Best of luck all, and I hope you enjoy your new undead existence (whilst it lasts...)

reich
05-29-2008, 03:53 PM
feel the wrath of Reich the Wraith :cool:

Silfir
05-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Upon reloading reich's old situation and rereading the old reports, I am reminded that these also was a pretty damn serious situation. Thankfully, I know the basic location of the stairs and the VORTEX, so I go on south.

Turn 14020 - Cooking increases by one.

Turn 14032 - Medium shield is picked up and equipped. At 8 PV. Looking good. Much different from the hopeless situation from before.

Turn 14062 - I am at a crossing. Worms to the left, Large bat in front of me. Recheck m_bowwarrior's report, can't quite make out where he went and found the stairs. Oh well, can't complain now, he's in the abyss and can't hear me.

Go for a break to devour some brains. There, back again. There's a yellow ooze and worms. Bad.

Turn 14085 - I have to pray for healing. Very bad.

Turn 14102 - The yellow ooze has made way for the lizard. That's a bit better. The vampirism weapon really is awesome.

Turn 14147 - Reached full health thanks to vampirism while still being stuck in one place.

Turn 14158 - Cave lizard damages leather armor. Scaly son of a bitch.

Turn 14193 - The situation took a turn for the worse. I'm at 16 HP and no prayers left. Dammit. I reload the wand of magic missiles. Killed the lizard with it, but the stupid yellow ooze lives. This is bad.

Turn 14203 - The ooze regenerates faster than I can damage it. I'm at 10 HP, and the worms are blocking my escape route. Let's see for how long I survive.

Turn 14206 - After having switched on berserk to try and kill the ooze, I drop to -3 after having drained myself to 10 with a berserk attack. I am now dead for good - You will be hard pressed to perform as poorly as myself.

Xantia, the hurthling priest, was killed by a white worm.
She scored 11449 points and advanced to level 12.
She survived for 14207 turns, reaching level 14 of the Infinite Dungeon, and scored 33126 points of experience.

Closing words:

HOLY CRAP ON A STICK. Two things: First, I suck tremendously. Second, I want to say this: If no one but M_bowwarrior turns out to be able to survive Reich's situation, then it's clear that M_bowwarrior, being the only one surviving it, should be the winner.

M_bowwarrior
05-29-2008, 03:58 PM
whaou, that's an impressive revenge of the hasardous things of this famous game...

I don't remember specials difficulties in this level... but who know ;) maybe... :)

Grey
05-29-2008, 04:17 PM
My! Well, this is an interesting situation. Since M_bowwarrior got deeper then that does indeed make him higher in ranking than you, Silfir, and the same will apply to others that can't get through. We will see how things progress... Your league certainly has thrown us a lot of interesting scenarios to make us question a great many rules :)

Maul
05-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Though this is a highly unlikely situation as it is easy to avoid an ooze and worms half a screen away. If I understood it right.

Silfir
05-29-2008, 06:41 PM
They are on the way to the down staircases, but can be avoided if one does not take a misstep.

M_bowwarrior did it, as I said. If no one else does it, M_bowwarrior wins and the second runner-up is the one out of me, reich and Lich who advances to the next level, failing that (or if two reach I:50 only to die there) he who scores the highest experience, and being equal on that, who survives the longest in turns.

At least I killed some worms and the lizard, so I have a very, very slim shot at qualifying if both Reich and Lich die on I:14 and fail to score more experience than myself. That's unlikely, though - they'll make better use of their knowledge of the fact that the dull potion is booze, and the situation is nowhere near as unsurvivable as the Trial of Rust one.

I'm coming up with a probability of me still qualifying at about 0.76 percent. Oh well. Better luck next time.

Lich
05-29-2008, 10:53 PM
I am still alive!
The yellow ooze was big trouble, I used the potion to get 2 charges for the wand of magic missiles. I hit it once, it regenerated. I then lured it near a wall to get a double hit. It regenerated those two hits in one turn as well. So killing it was pretty much out of the question.

So, the plan became: just run. The spear of vampirism was a life saver. I had a yellow ooze behind me that kept on hitting me, and in front of me were white worms that I kept hitting to get hp back.

It was marvelous when the yellow ooze got lost in the swarm of white worms. I managed to find the down staircase.
On I15 now. I had no intention of pushing my luck, so I was just praying until my turn limit is reached. In that time, I had to kill a ghost, so we are now much older (not sure exactly how much). In my last 150 turns, a master swordsperson showed up. It was very annoying how it kept on disarming me. And I am sorry to announce (or am I) that the spear of vampirism flew to the south, which was the square the swordsperson was standing on, and it got picked up. So no spear unless that thing is killed.

I tried to throw a rock at it on berserk (I only had one rock, and I threw it), the swordsperson is slightly injured, so I figure we have no chance against it in melee.
How I passed my final 150 turns was to run around on coward, which worked well, I'm alive to post this.
Also, as a result of all that life-sucking, our deity is now Auroree. I didn't feel uncomfortable when using the holy symbol, so a prayer might be possible.

reich
05-30-2008, 05:33 PM
And I am sorry to announce (or am I) that the spear of vampirism flew to the south, which was the square the swordsperson was standing on, and it got picked up

just great! A swordsperson! Always unequip a precious weapon when facing master swordsmen and ratling fencers/duelists! If you fought him with the mace he could never disarm you with that many point in maces and flails that we have!!
Ok, I killed a swordsperson before, so I'll deal with this one two. I'm going to try this now.

reich
05-30-2008, 06:40 PM
My time has come.

############### ##
#...........l.# ...
#.........<.Gg#######.[ASSORTED MONSTERS T-ROOM]
#...........#@d...../.....
##########################

Xantia, the hurthling priest, died of old age.
She scored 10797 points and advanced to level 12 (35477 xps).
She survived for 0 years, 8 days, 9 hours, 59 minutes and 48 seconds (17939
turns).

Curiosity killed me.

On I15 I managed to kill the swordswoman and retrieve the great spear. I hacked her with the battle axe after scaring her with Holy Awe. Proved a useful enough tactics. A little later on a Gorgon jumped out at me but I managed to 'scape, find to down stairs and descend.

Opportunistically, I thought, 'Okay, now I'll just wait around for those remaining 1000 turns'. While praying, I noticed the 'certain tension' message. At 17900 turns I thought 'I'll take a look just around the corner, probably nothing will kill me in 100 turns'. Around the corner, there was a door. I opened them and was greeted by a multitude of angry sounds. Great. I quickly retreated to the first room and found myself next to a cave lizard, which was standing in the doorway. 'Steady now, no need to panic, I'll just stand my ground and defend myself until turn 18000'. And then a wretched ghost lord emerged from a wall right next to me! Needless to say, the turn undead power didn't impress him much.

In case it makes any difference: if I had decided to stay put near the stairs until my turns were through, it would have been Lich to meet my fate. And I'd probably found myself in the Abbyss for creating a no-win situation. I'm not much of a competetive player, I think.

M_bowwarrior
05-30-2008, 06:47 PM
everybody is dead, now we know the two ones who survive and who finish the mana league.

so, could everybody (of the air league) could continue to play with our character ? i'm sad not to touch her... I'm sooooo lonely in my appartment....:p

Grey
05-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Bad luck. However, descending the stairs (along with xp garnered and no turns) has guaranteed you a place in the League of Mana. Congratulations.

Lich, if you survive the next 2000 turns and manage to descend one level then you are the Champion of Air. You now may continue on your own, though the rules of the game still apply - you must descend at least one level every 2k turns, and you should provide a report of your activites every 2k steps (this is somewhat of a spectator sport after all). How deep you get will determine your starting position in the League of Mana. Best of luck!

Lich
05-30-2008, 09:58 PM
Well, I died.
I was standing next to that swordsperson I thought I never have to deal with again. With melee weapons being ineffective, I tried to throw rocks. My plan was to throw it, then pick it up again, then continue in this fashion. What ended up happening was the rock disappearing after only a couple of throws. I now have no choice but to take it on in melee.

"The female master swordsman punches through your armor and critically hits you", great start. I realized that it was hopeless, and tried to run. I managed to lure the swordsperson into a room, and it started to panic, good.

I closed the door and left, and continued to search for the stairs. An owlbear was coming up behind me. I paid no attention to it, and continued going down a corridor where I met a hell hound. With only a battle axe in hand, I cannot harm either of them.

The hell hound kept on breathing fire at me that destroyed a lot of equipment including my armor. It was a very painful death, as they couldn't deal a lot of damage to me either. My hp was going down at an average rate of 3/turn, and they brought me down to exactly 0.

Xantia, the hurthling priest, was killed by an owlbear.
She scored 12844 points and advanced to level 12.
She survived for 0 years, 7 days, 20 hours, 45 minutes and 31 seconds (16601
turns).
34455 xp

reich
05-30-2008, 10:26 PM
But I wrote you that you could have the swordsman running scared by Holy Awe and then finish her with the axe! THen with the vampiric spear back you would have dealt with the hound and bear easily! It pays to read earlier reports!

M_bowwarrior
05-30-2008, 11:59 PM
lich and reich die both after an "awfull" situation.
is as for me...

I suggest to make same rules as for me... normal !!

Grey
05-31-2008, 03:20 AM
I disagree, M_bowwarrior - reich was able to get past the situation and descend to the next level, so it is proven beatable. It does however mean that reich overtakes Lich as Champion of Air - he descended further, lasted more turns and gained more xp. Hard luck, Lich, but you are still runner up and you will both ascend to the League of Mana. Congratulations! You have been the weakest performing league, but not without your trials and tribulations, with some really horrendously bad luck. I think one notable reason why you haven't managed to descend as deep is that you're the only league that never found the darkness spell - something all the others have relied on heavily. Well done on getting so far, and best of luck in the finals.

FantomFang
05-31-2008, 03:22 AM
Congratulations to Lich and Reich then! Good luck in the League of Mana!

gut
05-31-2008, 04:08 AM
I heartily second that! Both players showed great skill and
perserverance. A hard one victory is all the sweeter!

vogonpoet
05-31-2008, 09:05 AM
Certainly sweeter than a hard two...

M_bowwarrior
05-31-2008, 09:15 AM
so, now the challenge is over, could we continue with our character to see ?

gut
05-31-2008, 11:56 AM
A hard ONE victory... geez! That's pretty bad, even for me.

reich
05-31-2008, 12:25 PM
So, the League of Air is done and it's time for a summary.

The league had the smallest achievements; Xantia was a weakling throughout the game. Her survival depended purely on luck and the skills of evasion. For most of the game she did not have any destructive spells, a decent weapon, or even a supply of rocks.

One of the reasons for this must have been our bad luck with the RNG, that was obvious even for the spectators. But there must be other reasons as well, beacause the laws of statistics guarantee that in a random situation you just can have bad luck all of the time. So there must have been essential flaws in our playing style and tactics, both long and short term.

From what I see, I think one of our mistakes was diving too deep too fast (as obvious as it sounds). I am particularily responsible for this, having climbed down from ID 5 to ID 9 on my first move. It's essential to stay as long as possible on the shallow and relatively safe levels of the ID, gathering equipment, spells and experience. Because down deeper, if you are unprepared, you can only count on your luck.

Another issue is our choice of talents:

She had the following talents: Alert, Good Shot, Healthy, Long Stride,
Porter, Strong Thrower.
We did not establish any collective strategy in the development of talents. Initially, we had Alert, which opened the way to Miser and Treasure Hunter. Who knows, maybe with better equipment choices our fate could have been different. The investment in the ranged combat talents also turned out to be a mistake, given our chronic lack of ammunition. It seems you just can't seriously count on thrown rocks as means to save your life, unless your're an archer.

Strategic issues aside, I think our individual players fared quite well, given the extreme conditions, managing to reach level 16. At that depth, things start to get deadly even for well-prepared PCs.

Let me also point out, that the nature of the Weakset Link challange game is significantly different than regular Adom gameplay, and thus needs a custom tailored strategy. The PC has to posses enough firepower to be albe to blast through any monsters and find the down stairs, and at the same time be resourceful enough to survive (passively) in extremely dangerous conditions. Those two requirements can stand in an opposition in terms of character developement.

So we must analyse the experience from the two leagues completed so far, so the Mana League is the most glorious and reaches the deepest (if Water don't claim the sceptre first, that is :))