PDA

View Full Version : Will JADE Feature Corruption?

electric_wizard
03-09-2008, 09:44 AM
I for one, hope not.

Corruption worked nicely in the confined world of ADOM, but JADE is a completely different ball game. With the degree of freedom offered in JADE, I think it would be a shame if you felt compelled to rush through the game because of mounting corruption.

Ankherias
03-09-2008, 12:12 PM
I hope there is no "background corruption" in JADE. I do however think that it would be good if you could get
corrupted from traps, attacks from some chaotic creatures, some types of magical items, in some locations etc. Some corruptions might even be desirable then.

Being corrupted to some degree could even be a prerequisite for joining some chaotic faction (assuming there will be things like that in JADE).

adom-admin
03-09-2008, 12:43 PM
I for one, hope not.

Corruption worked nicely in the confined world of ADOM, but JADE is a completely different ball game. With the degree of freedom offered in JADE, I think it would be a shame if you felt compelled to rush through the game because of mounting corruption.

I have not yet completely decided on this. My current line of thinking is this:

There will be a little bit of corruption in JADE all the time (e.g some monsters, some items).
There will be at least one meta-plot that will feature ever-increasing corruption (like in ADOM), but probably covering a much longer time frame.
There will be various quests, puzzles and story hooks that will give the PC a chance to increase or decrease the rate of corruption. Without any active blotches at least the background corruption rate probably will be at a level that has no real effect on the PC. But he might be required to finish a quest every once in a while to keep it that way.

Grey
03-09-2008, 01:10 PM
I would most certainly like to see corruption appear again, but perhaps in a more controlled form. One thing I dislike in ADOM is that corruption is extremely hard to manage for chaotics, which makes one wonder why all those chaos knights aren't simply purple blobs. Corruption should be more beneficial to chaotic beings (at certain prices of course), and without as big a risk of ending the game from too much of it.

Nearsighted
03-09-2008, 08:39 PM
One can revisit the Drakalor Chain, in JADE, correct? This seems like a good place to have the majority of the corruption take place.

Pustka
03-09-2008, 09:47 PM
One can revisit the Drakalor Chain, in JADE, correct? This seems like a good place to have the majority of the corruption take place.

unless some hero already closed the Chaos gate or some N-L defeted Andy ;>

Dougy
03-09-2008, 10:11 PM
I would like to eliminate death by corruption. I feel it should just mutate a character, making them more likely to die in other ways.

Also, I think it might be interesting if there was a longer list of corruptions so that they are not all guaranteed at some point.

Some random thoughts

- You have become extremely charming. (Ch++, greater likelihood of non-hostile, shop prices are reduced)
- Your hair has transformed into snakes. (small chance of petrifying neighbouring NPCs)
- You are growing fur. (To+ Dx- Ap- Ch-)
- You yearn for the sea. (occasional -Wi if not at sea, +Wi if at sea)
- You have an imaginary friend. (occasional random cryptic messages)
- You are in a contemplative mood. (+Le -Pe)
- You bark like a dog. (cannot talk to humanoids, calms dogs)

Grey
03-10-2008, 01:08 AM
Heh, I like those corruptions. First one should maybe be Snake's Tongue though? +Ch, -Ap. The medusa-esque one would be quite funny if you petrified yourself upon encountering the mirror room effect.

Dougy
03-10-2008, 03:00 AM
Haha! That would be funny!

yisk
03-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Then I'll choose a drakeling. He is not subject for "snake hair" corruption. =)

Worst Player... ever
03-12-2008, 06:34 PM
I don't see the use of adding it in a way that would affect the typical character.

I'm assuming that the reason corruption was added in ADOM was to stop characters from hitting the ID or the mid levels of the CoC, staying there for months of game time, and stockpiling so much exp and equipment that only an idiot could possibly lose the game. At least that's my assumption :)

With Jade, I'm guessing a similar effect is created by character aging, right?

Baranor
03-12-2008, 06:51 PM
Would he petrify himself by looking in a mirror?

Grey
03-12-2008, 07:31 PM
The legendary medusa did, and so should a PC with a medusa-esque corruption.

Epythic
03-13-2008, 09:54 PM
A mirror would just send back light-based attacks, so if you are not immune to them...

Sven T Sexgore
03-15-2008, 10:49 PM
What I would love to see is corruption as an intelligent tool of Chaos. So each corruption would work differently depends on a character's allegiance. A lawful character only gains negative effects from the corruption (punishment), a neutral character gains less negatives and some positive (temptation), and chaotic characters would gain very little negative and greater positive effects (reward).

theotherhiveking
03-15-2008, 11:03 PM
What I would love to see is corruption as an intelligent tool of Chaos. So each corruption would work differently depends on a character's allegiance. A lawful character only gains negative effects from the corruption (punishment), a neutral character gains less negatives and some positive (temptation), and chaotic characters would gain very little negative and greater positive effects (reward).

Best idea ever.

you should an RFE.

Grey
03-16-2008, 09:23 AM
Yeah, I really agree on this. Chaotics should get very positive effects from corruption, albeit it with a few side effects.

Laukku
03-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Yes, something like Faust - when chaotic, you get lots of power, but in the end Chaos gets its payment when you turn into a WMoPC...

bjarketp
03-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Sounds good though. Chaotics embrace corruption, and thus have better chance of getting "good" corruptions. Lawfuls hate and fear corruption, so they get really nasty ones when they are corrupted. Would lead to players actually playing characters based on alignment.

Nezur
03-16-2008, 07:31 PM
Thomas said there will be both good-evil scale and lawful-chaotic scale in JADE.

-- I have adapted the Order...Balance...Chaos and Good...Neutral...Evil scale. --

Would Chaotic Good and Chaotic Neutral characters also receive mostly beneficial corruptions?

-- the forces of Chaos from ADOM according to my current line of thinking will be called the forces of Corruption in JADE (basically Chaotic/Evil to make the point clear). --

Ars
03-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Then I'll choose a drakeling. He is not subject for "snake hair" corruption. =)Or just hide the hair inside a full helmet? Bit like poisoned hands with thick gauntlets.

EDIT: Also for chaotics there should be big negative appeal and maybe also charisma penalties, so they would be shunned by the lawful powers, but in combat they'd be really strong. What about some player choice into choosing the mutations for those with good relations to chaotic gods?

Narvius
05-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Thomas said there will be both good-evil scale and lawful-chaotic scale in JADE.
Would Chaotic Good and Chaotic Neutral characters also receive mostly beneficial corruptions?

Chaotic and Lawful aren't connected to Good and Evil (and that's, I think, why it was introduced...).
Maybe:
Chaotic increases the "Pro-Corruption-Grade" when you are evil, and does nothing when you are neutral or good-aligned. Lawful: Protects good from corruptions and does nothing for evil and neutrals.

Probably, the more corruptions you have, the more often it happens that your char does something by himself, like running toward cash lying on the ground, or kill some random people he's passing by?

Nezur
05-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Chaotic and Lawful aren't connected to Good and Evil (and that's, I think, why it was introduced...).

True, but the forces of Corruption will apparently be Chaotic Evil. To me it seemed strange that also Chaotic Good characters gained beneficial corruptions for the most part.

theotherhiveking
05-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Or just hide the hair inside a full helmet? Bit like poisoned hands with thick gauntlets.

EDIT: Also for chaotics there should be big negative appeal and maybe also charisma penalties, so they would be shunned by the lawful powers, but in combat they'd be really strong. What about some player choice into choosing the mutations for those with good relations to chaotic gods?

I proposed it in the religion thread, along with the new aligment system.

theotherhiveking
05-07-2008, 02:57 PM
True, but the forces of Corruption will apparently be Chaotic Evil. To me it seemed strange that also Chaotic Good characters gained beneficial corruptions for the most part.

Wrong, true forces of corruption are lawful evil, maybe even chaotic neutral, or neutral evil, but chaotic evil? No way, The chaos forces have a hierarchy, Chaotic evil can't have that, impossible to organice.

Nezur
05-07-2008, 03:49 PM
-- the forces of Corruption will apparently be Chaotic Evil.

The Creator himself said it in the religion thread (http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread.php?t=60&highlight=Chaotic/Evil#post718).

Grey
05-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Corruption itself is inherently chaotic.