PDA

View Full Version : Bonuses of increasing stats - question

FantomFang
05-23-2008, 09:23 PM
I noticed that when your strength stat increase, so does your carrying capacity (obviously). But what I was wondering, is why the difference in weight limit that you gain increase as you strength gets higher? For example, you seem to gain greater carrying capacity going from 20 to 30 str than from 10 to 20 str. I don't know if the increase signifies a geometric or exponential trend or what, I'm just wondering why it isn't arithmetic or linear.

And does this apply to other stats, or aspects of other stats also? Do you get greater benefits from having your stat grow (see previous example) at a higher level for Willpower, Dexterity, etc?

Well, just something that had been bugging me, if anyone has an answer for it I would appreciate it.

Baranor
05-23-2008, 10:05 PM
I don't really have an answer for the Strength thing, but I do know that as you get higher willpower your Ball spells get larger in radius (at 32 they have a range of 2, at 48 they increase to 3 I believe, after that I don't know) Appearance and Charisma have an effect on shop prices, but I don't know the exact mathematical correlations. Toughness increases your hitpoints. Same thing with Mana and PP. Dexterity I believe affects your per move energy cost. I'm sure there are others that have more solid details about how the numbers are effected.

FantomFang
05-23-2008, 10:37 PM
I know what the stats effect, the thing i was wondering about was how much they affected them, and whether or not they affected them at an increasing growing rate above that of what you would expect arithmetically.

Soirana
05-23-2008, 10:49 PM
http://groups.google.lt/group/rec.games.roguelike.adom/browse_thread/thread/20d03cc73af25d41/de012feb272bbf98?hl=lt&lnk=gst&q=carrying+capacity+and+strength+of+atlas#de012feb 272bbf98

Grey
05-24-2008, 02:38 AM
Many stats don't give big effects until over 20 or so, at which point they can start making a major difference. Some points:

Strength: Increases melee to hit and damage. Damage especially gets very high at high strengths. Increases carrying capacity immensely. Gives a small no hit points I think.

Learning: Gives more skill increases per level. Increases spell learning success and no castings obtained from spellbooks.

Willpower: Gives a small number of HP and PP. Increases mindcraft/spell ball range (32/48/64/80/96). Affects many spell and mindcraft ranges and durations. Helps resist and recover from confusion attacks.

Dexterity: Increases missile to hit and damage a lot. Increases DV. Increases speed at high values.

Toughness: Majorly increases HP. Increases PV when 20 or above (can make a big difference in the early game).

Charisma: Affects shop prices for males.

Appearance: Affects shop prices for females.

Mana: Majorly increases PP. At high values it can give a little extra luck.

Perception: Increases visible radius. Can help find items I think, especially arrows/quarrels.

FantomFang
05-24-2008, 02:43 AM
Thanks for the answer, that YAGBU specifically was of great assistance in learning how it worked. I guess it was a linear/geometric progression, and not exponential like i was led to believe. I didn't know that Mana could increase luck either, nice random fact to know. Maybe I'll be less inclined to abuse mana like a cheap whore in the future =p

Thanks again!

Nezur
05-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Mana: Majorly increases PP. At high values it can give a little extra luck.

I think Mana is also a factor when determining whether a character is able to learn a spell.

Appearance: Affects shop prices for females.

Having about 20 Ap also means that your Cha will increase by 1 once you encounter a room with image-distorting mirrors. (chuckle)