PDA

View Full Version : Ultra-Portable ADOM

Grey
05-25-2008, 01:01 AM
Thought I'd post about this because it fills me with glee... Bought an Asus Eee PC recently for ?220 - they're pretty nice for the money, and absolutely tiny. Handy since I otherwise only have a desktop. After some tinkering around I've gotten the Linux version of ADOM running nicely on it. Numpad is enabled by a function key - doesn't quite feel right, but hopefully I'll get used to it. Alignment doesn't seem to display correctly, only showing which shade of my alignment I am (not the C, N or L) - can be solved by reducing the font size, but that makes the overall screen much smaller. It looks really beautiful I must say - it's very clear and the font is really nice.

Pic below of it running, though you can't see the actual screen contents too clearly. It's on fullscreen; the black borders are the speakers and web-cam. There's no CD drive by the way - I just put the CD there for size comparison.

Anyone else running ADOM on small devices? I'm curious how it would look on the likes of palmtops.

Timpak
05-25-2008, 01:13 AM
The smallest device I run adom on is my laptop, it's also the only device I run it on. Not that small though, 15.4inch widescreen.

I just bought a nokia n95 though and I was thinking if there were some way to be able to get adom running on that. It uses s60 as os.

FantomFang
05-25-2008, 06:41 PM
Yea, I've gone through the whole ADOM progression. Started out as a fad in a computer application class my sophomore/junior (?) year of High School, after which i stopped playing it for a while. Then a while later, during my senior year that i'm finishing now, I downloaded it for my desktop at home. Then i put it on a 8gb flash drive to carry around with me, and now its finished its tour on my brand spanking new, 16 inch, widescreen HD laptop. Btw, how exactly do you make the Function key combination work? I've been trying to do it on my laptop, but it doesn't seem to work. DO i have to activate the Function combination somewhere? Cuz whenever i hold the Fn key down and press a key on its number pad, i don't get the number. Like, I is 5, and Fn + I gets me inventory. Urgh.....

Grey
05-25-2008, 06:52 PM
On mine the function key won't work like that. You can turn the numpad on with a function key, and the numpad gets overlaid over the uio keys etc. Annoying to use it like this though, because you need to keep turning it on and off to use many commands like inventory and >. So what I've found easiest is to use the d-pad for movement, and the 1/3/7/9 for the diagonals. Not optimum, but you get used to it after a while.

deepshock
05-25-2008, 07:03 PM
That's awesome! :D

Timpak
05-25-2008, 07:06 PM
I bought an accountantpad for my laptop (approx 7-8 euros), you stick it in via usb, it's wonderful :)

Nezur
05-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Yeah, they are useful. I should buy one for my laptop as well.

FantomFang
05-25-2008, 07:20 PM
I may have to do that as well. And yeah Darren, that's what i had been doing in place of he number pad, i had to reference the overlaid function numberpad setup though to be able to remember what numbers were what direction. I'm scatterbrained that way =p

Epythic
05-25-2008, 10:14 PM
Yeah, they are useful. I should buy one for my laptop as well.

You should buy one for my laptop :)

EDIT: used to play ADOM on a laptop, it sucks.
EDIT2: i wish ADOM used Mahattan Distance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan_distance).

Nezur
05-25-2008, 11:00 PM
Don't explosions branch out like this in ADoM (C = cause):

**C**

Shouldn't they explode like this so that the amount of squares that you would have to travel in order to get out of the area would be a constant no matter how you do it:

**C**

FantomFang
05-25-2008, 11:40 PM
With the energy cost and the ability to move diagonally just as easily as you can move horizontally or vertically, it does seem kind of odd to me now that i think about it. The reason for it being there might be because, for example, the diagonal of a square is the square root of 3 divided by 2 times a large as the horizontal. So if the ball radius is two, you wouldn't be able to gain two full diagonals, resulting in the "rounded off" ball radius. Although if that was the case, why can we move diagonally?

It is a discrepancy, but it was probably purposeful, I would say.

Grey
05-25-2008, 11:56 PM
I don't want square balls. They're too ugly.

FantomFang
05-26-2008, 02:01 AM
For all we know, TB agrees =p

Silfir
05-26-2008, 10:36 AM
No. Bad. What SHOULD be done is that moving diagonally costs 1.68 (or something) instead of 1.00 times the normal movement cost.

Nezur
05-26-2008, 01:38 PM
I don't want square balls. They're too ugly.

Well, I do agree that they look somewhat ugly but with the current system they actually seem to be closer to a real world circle.

No. Bad. What SHOULD be done is that moving diagonally costs 1.68 (or something) instead of 1.00 times the normal movement cost.

At first that seems to be a good solution but then everything you do towards the diagonal directions would have to cost extra. The distance between square corners is d=(1^2+1^2)^0.5 i. e. the square root of 2 which is ~1,4142 but the cost should actually be 2 because the grid squares have 4 sides which conflicts with the 8 movement directions. That would mean that moving diagonally is just a convenience thing, i. e. for example you don't have to move to the right and then downwards if you want to move southeast.

Hmmm... But if all action costed diagonally more it would lead to a situation like this:

_______
Turn 1:
[Pressing 1]
.a.....
...@k..
_______
Turn 2:
#Technically you moved 2 times but the kobold #
#only once so he gets a hit in. #
The kobold hits you. [Pressing 9]
..ak...
..@....
_______
Turn 3:
#You moved 2 times. So does the kobold. Not the ant. #
You hit the kobold. The kobold hits you. The ant hits
you. The ant hits you.
..ak...
..@....

Nils Langdonson
06-05-2008, 03:54 PM
I made keyboard bindings for my laptop, so i didn't need the numpad. I just used rogue-movement, yuhjklbn, instead and replaced most of the commands bound to those keys to Ctrl-[key], except l, which is now 1.

Just replace .txt with .kbd and put in your adom_dat folder, if interested.

Flammeus
06-13-2008, 07:55 AM
Just out of interest, how did you get the linux version of adom to work on your asus EEE?

Now I just bought an asus eee as well, and being totally new to the world of linux this seems like an impossible task for me.

So could you be bothered to write a walk-through for a dummy like me? :D

edit: so I won't have to swap my linux for a windows xp :)

Grey
06-14-2008, 04:32 PM
Hmm, well what I did:

1. Download the Linux version of ADOM.
2. Create an ADOM folder in the My Home directory.
3. Run the application, and make the following settings changes:
- Fullscreen mode
- Font > Custom > FreeMono + Bold + 12
- Hide Menubar
- Hide Tab bar
- Hide Scrollbar
- Size 80x25
4. Save as default.

Now whenever you run ADOM (or any terminal application actually) it'll appear in a clear, smooth font and fullscreen - it'll match the ADOM appearance very nicely (though the alignment doesn't always show up correctly). I'm not sure how to do shortcuts and stuff in Linux, or in the individual interface they use on the Eee PC. Personally I have File Manager set up as one of the Favourites and access ADOM through it whenever I want to.

Also note that by default the .adom.data folder is in the My Home folder and is hidden - if you ever need to delete the .adom.prc file you need to unhide it. Save games are also stored in there.

I haven't a clue how to get Sage installed - still trying on that front.

Flammeus
06-14-2008, 07:00 PM
Great! Why didn't I think of that. Thanks a bunch Grey. Now I can play adom every where!

Whee!