PDA

View Full Version : Bolting wands

Nezur
05-26-2008, 08:43 PM
How is the range of bolts fired by wands determined? By willpower?

I'm particularly interested in the range of the Wand of Digging. I'm going to pacify the big room for the first time.

FantomFang
05-26-2008, 09:02 PM
I can't give you a 100% sure answer, but I believe a wand's range is independent of your willpower stat, partially based on personal experience and the belief that wands are simply triggers for stored magical power that someone else put there, meaning their strength (or range) is dependent upon the power of the wandmaker.

Feel free to disregard my opinion if a more "experienced" user says something else =p

Timpak
05-26-2008, 09:22 PM
My experience of the big room and digging wands is that when you have the

..+####
###...#
#.....#
#######

part in the beginning each side require two zaps upwards. That's been my case for both barbarians with useless wp and wizards with 35+.

Nezur
05-26-2008, 09:25 PM
EDIT: I noticed that it's impossible to pacify the Big Room with my current equipment:
EDIT2: Well, I've got 2 Potions of Holy Water so there might be a slight chance but I chose not to bother yet.

Wand of Digging (0 charges)
Wand of Door Creation (7 charges)
Wand of Door Creation (0 charges)
Blessed Potion of Booze

If I remember correctly there was no beggars in the bandit town either.

Off-topic:

Is the game manual wrong about the PP cost of bookcasting? It states that it costs quintuple the normal amount but my level 14 wizard is able to bookcast 6 PP costing magic missiles with only 18 PP.

FantomFang
05-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Yea, I believe it is simply 3x the cost, because I was bookcasting a 9 pp Bless earlier today for 27 pp a pop. If thats the way it reads, then it probably is a mistake

Siriah
05-26-2008, 09:54 PM
The range of wands of digging depends on their blessed/uncursed/cursed status, 3 zaps from a cursed wand seem to be about as good as 2 from a blessed one.

gut
05-27-2008, 12:35 AM
> Is the game manual wrong about the PP cost of bookcasting?

True spellcasters get a bonus there. I think semi spellcasters
also get a bonus, just not as much. I'm not sure on that though.
With the bookcasting talents, it becomes very beneficial to
bookcast many spells.

Grey
05-27-2008, 12:59 AM
The manual is wrong - it's triple cost for everyone.

Not sure on the bolt ranges for wands, but it's definitely unrelated to the PC's Wi, and it is related to the b/u/c status.

DeSt
05-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Actually, related to both, but very little to Wi.
Like Wi 2 + blessed wand - range 7, and Wi 99 + cursed wand - range 7-8.

Silfir
05-27-2008, 12:45 PM
Just get one more potion of booze. You need 14 doors to enclose a six times seven room, which is enough to pacify the damn thing, and you have a total of 9 doors there already, so the one blessed and at least one extra potion should be enough. No need for any digging to be done.

Starhawk
05-27-2008, 12:52 PM
That's only useful if he can lock all those doors.

DeSt
05-27-2008, 01:21 PM
No. Most breeders can't open doors, so just wand of door creation needed(and some patience...).

Orbic
05-27-2008, 02:36 PM
...and you run around your breeders farm to prevent a stupid orc from letting them out. If you are lucky nothing gets generated *inside* the cage that can open door... but we all know how malicious the RNG can be, don't we?

Silfir
05-27-2008, 04:14 PM
Orbic, I did that several times in my ADOM career, and it does take some patience, but it's a viable method even if you can't lock all of the doors (wizards with Magic Lock spells have the easiest time, obviously). Some will be created locked, though.

Just saying. Quite obviously, more booze means he can use the wand of digging for as often as he likes, so there won't be any problem with the wand of digging method anymore either if he just spends some more gold giving to beggars.

Nezur
05-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Well, my character found yet another wand of digging, a potion of booze and a Spellbook of Magic Lock in Waldenbrook's shop so I shouldn't encounter problems.

Nezur
06-21-2008, 06:55 PM
I did pacify the room with some minor difficulties. You see, monsters kept smashing the only door that I had to use in the process. I also noticed an interesting thing. Despite the fact that I created a separate room for brown worms with wands of digging and booze they didn't duplicate quickly enough. This was probably due to the elongated form of the breeder room (mostly 1 square wide IIRC). I could Teleport away when I got trapped in the room.

When the game was looking for a free space for a worm duplicate it kept choosing a square that was occupied by a wall. Hence the breeding speed was low. I even led another breeding monster there (chaos rat). I ended up creating a room that was larger than 40 squares in order to speed up the process. That worked well. The fact that a third breeder (a claw bug) had been generated in the room was nice too.

Silfir
06-21-2008, 09:57 PM
If that's the case, the space enclosed with doors should work even better. Once the breeding gets going, it should fill up much more quickly.

Elone
06-22-2008, 09:35 AM
Been there, done that. The door-only strategy does indeed let breeders breed faster, plus you can see the whole enclosed area at once if you're in it. It's best if you simply have means of locking all those doors. Even if some orc releases a dozen of white worms somehow, you can get there and solve the problem, as long as ta least some of them still remain in that area. Waste of turns, yeah, but at least easy to handle, and they will breed again. Either teleportation, or all doors locked, will pretty much make the all-doors method very effective.