PDA

View Full Version : most "illogical" race/profession

M_bowwarrior
05-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Let's try to make Dark Maul, our wizard troll, become master in might and magic...

"players" :

1. M_Bowwarrior (killed)
2. Siriah
3. PeanutGod
4. Covenant
5. Baranor (killed)
6. M_Bowwarrior
7. Siriah
8. PeanutGod
9. Covenant

order can change if someone else came.

Just to explain, an example: a wizard troll....

for you, what is "illogical" and, of course, what is more or less unplayable ?

I'm curious to try a "non natural" combination of race/class.

it could be done as what is done here, a sort of challenge, going deeper and deeper in the ID if many people are interesting (I like this competition side, and the sharing of the same character between players).
suggestions ?

combinations:
troll wizard
troll farmer
Troll Bard
Troll druid
Troll Thief
Troll Assassin
Troll Merchant
Troll Weaponsmith
Troll Archer
ocr priest
Dark Elven Paladin
high elf assassin
Gray elf thief
Elven Barbarians/Beastfighters
gnome barbarian
Dwarven Necromancers
hurthling necromancer
Hurthling Monk
Hurtling Beastfighters
Hurthling mindcrafter

Shadow_2014
05-27-2008, 09:53 PM
An Orc Priest is kind of silly. I don't see them as the pious type. Or a High Elf Assassin. I wouldn't think that they'd stoop to that. Or a Troll Farmer. I think they'd end up eating all their livestock.

Siriah
05-27-2008, 09:55 PM
Gnome barbarians. It's not as much an illogical combination as just a plain weird one, mostly because I picture gnomes as looking sort of like the gnome lawn ornaments, while barbarians are known for fighting like 'true berserkers'. One of these would end up running around slaughtering monsters while wearing a pointy red hat, and nothing but a pointy red hat.

The idea of a hurthling necromancer is also really weird.

gut
05-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Troll Bard.

"Dum da la da da. Come to Lug, lil forest critters."
"Da da da" SMASH!
"Slurp. Mmmmh! Good critters."
"Da da da da la..."

Molach
05-27-2008, 10:51 PM
I'll put a quite good character in the game...but rather pointless in Real life. Or rather, fantasy-real life.

Hurthling Monk.

Monks are disiplined in the manner of mind and body, they are patient, and often fast for weeks. Get up before dawn after lying on nail-mattresses.

"Yeah, sure, whats for second breakfast?"

Grey
05-27-2008, 11:25 PM
Hurthling necromancer anyone? Bilbo's evil twin perhaps...

Gray elven thief - goes against the whole proud image of gray elves.

Troll druid - do trolls understand the concept of animals as anything other than mobile food?

spectre
05-27-2008, 11:42 PM
Trollish Druid is easy - youse be'er git of my bloody sacred rocks hoomin, it's a reser... reze... bloody impartunt.

I second the gnome barbarian (-:

I think trolls have lots of untapped potential:
Trollish Assassin or Thief. You'll never see them coming.
Trollish Merchant. Nay, no more haggling. :Splatter:
Trollish Weaponsmith. Nuffink beats da good ole rock.
Trollish Archer. Bullseye! (You exactly hit the foo with the huge rock)

Hurtling Beastfighters sound unlikely, so do Elven Barbarians/Beastfighters

deepshock
05-28-2008, 12:11 AM
Dark Elven Paladin.

*snerk*

Dark Elves are considered the most evil race of the lot, and paladins are well...

Yes, I know what a paladin IS in ADOM, it just flies in the face of commonly accepted wisdom.

FantomFang
05-28-2008, 12:24 AM
Reword "Paladin" to be "Death Knight" or something similar then =p

deepshock
05-28-2008, 10:39 AM
Hurthling mindcrafter.

It's possible for one to lead off with less than 8 PP, and since mindcrafters can't hyperextend their unique powers like casters can, I think you can figure it out. :p

M_bowwarrior
05-28-2008, 11:02 AM
whaou... lots of weird idea (but it's what I asked). but in ADOM (not in "real" life), which one is the weird one ?

and second question : who is interrested to play a character as this one by sharing the save file (as it was done by others players on this section) ?

PeanutGod
05-28-2008, 04:09 PM
Dwarven Necromancers would be pretty weird. Dwarves are usually pretty lawful dudes, digging up the dead etc isn't usually something they'do (unless maybe their Chaos Dwarves). Otherwise - Trollish -anything- bar barbarian, fighter seems weird to me.

Yeah, I reckon it would be fun to have a save game going with some stupid combination. It could lead to something very interesting.

M_bowwarrior
05-28-2008, 05:19 PM
combinations:
troll wizard
troll farmer
Troll Bard
Troll druid
Troll Thief
Troll Assassin
Troll Merchant
Troll Weaponsmith
Troll Archer
ocr priest
Dark Elven Paladin
high elf assassin
Gray elf thief
Elven Barbarians/Beastfighters
gnome barbarian
Dwarven Necromancers
hurthling necromancer
Hurthling Monk
Hurtling Beastfighters
Hurthling mindcrafter

others ones ?
another question, which one choose ? not an elven, I think it's very used.

Grey
05-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Whilst certainly some of those seem illogical for roleplay reasons a few do work extremely well in game. Trollish wizards are a very unique and fun combination for instance - bash things early on with a little help from magic and become an arcane master later (whilst still bashing things). Since levels don't matter too much to wizards trolls actually work pretty well for them. Orcish priests are simply awesome, one of the best priest classes in the game, and aren't that illogical if you think of evil orc cults (orcs have their own gods after all). High elves make quite decent assassins - much better than puny dark elves (since the dark elven skill advantage is lost with the assassin skillset and dark elves have such awful physical stats and HP regen). It is possible I guess to think of a noble assassin - an agent of some higher authority assassinating corrupt officials etc.

PeanutGod
05-28-2008, 09:28 PM
To be honest, I'd go with either of the necromancers, since that'd be a challenge, maybe the trollish assassin (since Trolls just club things, I can't imagine a stealthy troll, bar maybe the one under the bridge - and he wasn't that stealthy). Wouldn't be an amazing hard time though, since the decent St/To would make the early game easy enough. A gnome barbarian would be pretty funny.

YOU STOLE MY FISHING ROD!!

AAAAARGHHHHHHHHHHHH *Chop Chop*

YA BASTARD *Kick in nuts*

DON'T DO IT AGAIN *Leaving behind filleted corpse*

FantomFang
05-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Trollish Assassin:

*STOMP* *STOMP* Mes be'an sneeky! *STOMP* *STOMP*
What's that behind me? It's so loud! Must be a landslide in the distance... *clubbed to death*

But a fun thing to be would be a Hurthling Barbarian, as long as its Chaotic, and named Belkar. For roleplaying purposes, ofc!

M_bowwarrior
05-29-2008, 04:14 PM
I've created a troll wizard named Dark Maul.
Let's try, in the ID to go more and more deeper.
2000 turns by people ? oki ? I start, here is the save. there is some turns to arrive to the ID, but never mind.
I play the first 2000 turns. I'm making a list of every players who want to play, send here a message, I making a list in first post, with order for playing.

M_bowwarrior
05-29-2008, 04:31 PM
sniffffffff :( I'm die...

After a start without problems, reading books, killings creatures with rocks and dagger, I arrive to the level 2 with a tension room who's mixed... and green worms, rust monster, dark wizard, and so on.... I use the magic missile but with a so small power difficult to cast twice...
next one :)

Dark Maul St:21 Le: 9 Wi:11 Dx:15 To:25 Ch: 9 Ap: 6 Ma:10 Pe:10 C
DV/PV: 10/6 H: 0(49) P: 16(30) Exp: 4/2820 I2 M: 1280
Bleeding

Dark Maul, the trollish wizard, was killed by a green worm.
She scored 2608 points and advanced to level 4.
She survived for 0 years, 1 day, 7 hours, 22 minutes and 35 seconds (1280
turns).
Dark Maul visited 2 places.
She ended her adventuring life on level 2 of some ancient caves.

Grey
05-29-2008, 04:43 PM
I didn't know it was physically possible to die with a trollish wizard so quickly :P

Siriah
05-29-2008, 05:10 PM
Well, they can starve to death :P

I'll join in on the fun. Same save file?

M_bowwarrior
05-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Well, they can starve to death :P

I'll join in on the fun. Same save file?

yes same file, and yes, I'm starving very quickly !

PeanutGod
05-29-2008, 05:19 PM
I'll go next after Siriah, if thats ok?

Siriah
05-29-2008, 08:24 PM
To infinity... AND BEYOND!

445 - I1 is fully explored. There wasn't much of note there. I killed some things, read the spellbooks once, that's it. I went down the staircase, because my food status won't allow me to stay on a boring level for too long.

596 - Found a studded leather armor.

666 - And a medium shield (an evil one...?). These will do.

684 - I2 is just as boring as I1, although it had some items. I continued on to I3. There, a fire beetle gave me the first level up! I chose food preservation, healing and athletics. Our toughness increased.

986 - All these levels are so empty. I went down to I4. There, the room with the downstairs contained a spellbook of Fireball. Toasty!

1093 - Level 3! I chose food preservation, healing and athletics again, and we got another increase to our toughness.

1305 - I4 is fully explored. I found an ironwood wand but haven't tested it. Going down to I5 now, which will hopefully hold something in the way of a challenge.

1615 - Found an amulet of defense +2, a potion of invisibility and a cave fisher (poison resistance). A wererat appeared. Killing a few of his summons brought me to level 4. I chose Concentration x3.

1707 - Level fully explored. I still don't have enough food to comfortably camp out on a level. I'm going down to I6.

2022 - Whoops, I accidentally went a little over the turn limit. But then again I had to walk from the beginning of the Drakalor Chain to the Infinite Dungeon so it works out to about 2000 turns.

On to the next person!

PeanutGod
05-29-2008, 10:07 PM
2022 - Level obviously explored. Headed down the stairs to ID:7.

2452 - Parchment tome - Disarm trap. Not too shabby. Killed a couple of randoms. Advanced to level 5. Concentration [x2], Healing [x1]. Also feel strong and studious. Not too bad at all.

2602 - Feel self confident.

2928 - Down to level 8 after hanging around on ID 7 for a while. Didn?t want to power through levels and thus get whooped so easily later on. Still, killed a few more critters, got another potion and a splendid necklace.

3689 - Werewolf. Hit me like a ton of bricks. Used a prayer. Killed the werewolf, started killing more. Advance to lv 6. Put Concentration to 100. Another in healing.

4000 - Down the stairs. Walked around. Accidentaly went to 4038. Ah well. Another spell book. Light this time. Also found a light potion.

4038 - Saved.

#####################
#....././...........#
#.<...###...........################################# ######
#.....# #.........../..........@..........................#
####### #################################################. # .
#.# ..
#####.#....
....../....
#####.#####
#.#
#/#
..#
..#

Dark Maul St:22 Le:10 Wi:11 Dx:15 To:27 Ch:10 Ap: 6 Ma:10 Pe:10 C
DV/PV: 19/8 H: 60(77) P: 1(50) Exp: 6/10291 I9 M: 4038

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Character Information

Dark Maul St:22 Le:10 Wi:11 Dx:15 To:27 Ch:10 Ap: 6 Ma:10 Pe:10
C
DV/PV: 19/8 H: 60(77) P: 1(50) Exp: 6/10291 M: 4038

PeanutGod
05-29-2008, 10:09 PM
Spells

Disarm Trap : 283, 9pp (Effectivity: +0)
Fireball : 57, 26pp (Effectivity: +1)
Knock : 60, 15pp (Effectivity: +1)
Light : 123, 3pp (Effectivity: +0)
Magic Missile: 32, 11pp (Effectivity: +8)

Skills

Alchemy .................. 30 (mediocre) [+4d5]
Athletics ................ 61 (good) [+1d5]
Bridge building .......... 15 (mediocre) [+3d5] (mr)
Climbing ................. 28 (mediocre) [+3d4]
Concentration ............100 (superb) [+2d4]
First aid ................ 24 (mediocre) [+3d4]
Food preservation ........ 50 (fair) [+3d3]
Gemology ................. 10 (poor) [+4d5]
Haggling ................. 22 (mediocre) [+3d4]
Healing .................. 46 (fair) [+2d4]
Herbalism ................ 44 (fair) [+4d5]
Listening ................ 36 (fair) [+3d5]
Literacy .................100 (superb) [+2d4]
Mining ................... 12 (mediocre) [+3d3]
Stealth .................. 29 (mediocre) [+3d4]
Ventriloquism ............ 23 (mediocre) [+3d4]

Inventory
Total weight: 1470 stones Carrying capacity: 2700 stones

Head : -
Neck : amulet of defense +2 [3s]
Body : studded leather armor (-1, +0) [-1, +3] [250s]
Girdle : -
Cloak : -
Right Hand : dagger (+0, 1d4) [10s]
Left Hand : medium shield [+3, +1] [100s]
Right Ring : ring of cold resistance [1s]
Left Ring : ring of acid resistance [1s]
Bracers : -
Gauntlets : -
Boots : leather boots (+1, +1) [+0, +0] [25s]
Missile weapon: hand crossbow (+1, +1) [30s]
Missiles : black hurthling quarrel (+1, 1d3+2) [2s]
Tool : -

Covenant
05-29-2008, 10:19 PM
I got it, if that's okay. Will edit.

4000 - Had a brief cycle through the inventory, wondered why we were using a dagger but couldn't be bothered checking the weapon marks, so I assumed we had some skill in it (I know I'm being over-confident just because the PC is a troll, it'll come back to bite me).

4200 - Explore the rest of the level, switch to 'True Berserker', as our armour isn't that great anyway. Stab ahoy!

4300 - Descend the stairs, start exploring.

4400 - Oh no! At a fourway intersection, I fall into a pit of pit vipers! Ah! Thankfully, my natural 5 PV prevents any damage, and I manage to at least gain a single corridor, so I'm fighting them two at a time... or one at a time - the one I hit (and therefore sent fleeing) continued along the corridor only to get crushed by a falling stone block. Heh. Thanks little pit viper!

4410 - Me: 1 Pit Vipers: 0

4600 - Pack of wolves and their werewolf master go down easily enough. Food's becoming an issue though... The only thing to drop a corpse was a rabid dog. Though I do have a new Book - don't dare read it until I have a little more food, though.

4700 - Descend again.

~ 5000 - I reach level 7. Pump Healing, Food Preservation, and Alchemy. Low gains on them all though, despite high dice! Sorry.

5050 - A green hag curses us! Our spellbook of Light glows in a black light! I don't know what to say, really.

5100 - Descend again... Acid Vortex! As Will Smith would say, Aw hell no!

5102 - Run for the door and close it, locking the Vortex in the room. I also grab a leather amulet.

5200 - A quasit deciding to fight to the death does us some damage in Berserk mode, but Magic Missile puts paid to him.

5400 - An Ogre takes up a couple of more MM castings. Health isn't regenerating fast at all, sadly. I'm too used to Candle-borns

5570 - Descend again, to I13. Another acid vortex is sighted in the middle of a long corridor. At burdened, do I have enough speed to run back to the door, or should I pelt him with magic missiles?

5572 - I try to run, but he's too fast. I try to take him out with Magic Missile but he survives long enough to burn me horribly, destroying our gloves, our wand of lightning (2 charges), and our 'Ababila' scroll. Ah no!

5685 - A Berserker Lord makes me wish I hadn't lost that wand of lightning! Only 8 castings of MM remain... So dead. I zap our unknown wand... and it's Monster Creation. Worst possible choice! At least it only summoned a goblin.

5696 - I lure the Berserker and other monsters chasing me back to the room I emerged from and drink one of our three potions of invisibility.

5770 - Taking a torch to a darkened room reveals... Shadow Lord! Out of the frying pan...

5800 - Caught between the two Lords, I get hit and lose a point of strength.

5803 - Equip unknown large shield hoping to be saved. It's worse than our small one! Another point of strength is lost. At least I'm unburdened now (from dropping armour).

5837 - I get away from the Shadow Lord and Fire Beetle, but the Chaos Brother doesn't give up - he takes me to 16 HP, and in desperation I pray. I'm healed, and proceed to lay some smackdown on the good brother. Got a Fire Beetle corpse, too.

5898 - After running around as best I could, I'm down to 14 strength, half HP, and I'm trapped between a Shadow Lord and a Wight. I decide to dig in and try Fireball my way out of it.

5902 - Takes some Mana abusing, but I manage to kill them both. A pyrrhic victory indeed...

5967 - I eat the Fire Beetle corpse for possible resistance, and end my turn resting on the pile of junk I had to drop. Sorry guys - my turn went pretty disastrously.

5990 - Ambushed by Eye of Destruction, which goes into a berserk rage and confuses me. I see it off, barely, before realising the turn counter is on 6029. My bad. Good luck, whoever's next.

Covenant
05-29-2008, 10:56 PM
### ####### #############
.... #.....# # #
#.....###.....##### ############### #
#....././......"..# # ... ....... +
#################[#########..... ###################
#......@........ /.#
#####################..... #.################# #############
#.........# # ... #.................# #...........#
#########.........# ###################.......#######.#####.....#
#...../...........# #.......#.......# #.....#
#...<.###.........#############################.......# .####### #.....#
#.....# #........./...........................#.......#.# #.....#
####### #.........###########################.#.......#.# #######
#.........# #./......./.#
########### #############

Dark Maul St:14 Le:10 Wi:11 Dx:15 To:28 Ch:10 Ap: 6 Ma:10 Pe:10 C
DV/PV: 33/6 H: 11(82) P: 53(53) Exp: 7/19458 I13 M: 6028
Coward

Weapon Skills

Melee weapon Lvl Hit Dam DV Level Required marks
--------------------- --- --- --- -- ------------- --------------
Unarmed fighting 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 30
Daggers & knives 4 +3 +1 +0 skilled 66
Clubs & hammers 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 30

Spells

Disarm Trap : 283, 9pp (Effectivity: +0)
Fireball : 40, 29pp (Effectivity: +3)
Knock : 60, 15pp (Effectivity: +1)
Light : 123, 3pp (Effectivity: +0)
Magic Missile: 2, 13pp (Effectivity: +9)

Skills

Alchemy .................. 37 (fair) [+4d5]
Athletics ................ 61 (good) [+1d5]
Bridge building .......... 15 (mediocre) [+3d5] (mr)
Climbing ................. 28 (mediocre) [+3d4]
Concentration ............100 (superb) [+2d4]
First aid ................ 25 (mediocre) [+3d4]
Food preservation ........ 56 (good) [+3d3]
Gemology ................. 10 (poor) [+4d5]
Haggling ................. 22 (mediocre) [+3d4]
Healing .................. 50 (fair) [+1d5]
Herbalism ................ 44 (fair) [+4d5]
Listening ................ 36 (fair) [+3d5]
Literacy .................100 (superb) [+2d4]
Mining ................... 12 (mediocre) [+3d3]
Stealth .................. 29 (mediocre) [+3d4]
Ventriloquism ............ 23 (mediocre) [+3d4]

Inventory
Total weight: 760 stones Carrying capacity: 1400 stones

Head : -
Neck : amulet of defense +2 [3s]
Body : -
Girdle : -
Cloak : -
Right Hand : dagger (+0, 1d4) [10s]
Left Hand : medium shield [+3, +1] [100s]
Right Ring : ring of cold resistance [1s]
Left Ring : ring of acid resistance [1s]
Bracers : -
Gauntlets : -
Boots : -
Missile weapon: -
Missiles : rock [5s]
Tool : torch (858 turns of fuel remaining, lit) [10s]

Stuff

Total weight: 630 stones Carrying capacity: 1400 stones

Cloaks ('[')
hooded cloak [40s]
Boots ('[')
leather boots (+1, +1) [+0, +0] [25s]
Necklaces (''')
splendid necklace [3s]
leather amulet [2s]
Missile weapons ('}')
hand crossbow (+1, +1) [30s]
hand crossbow [30s]
Missiles ('/')
bundle of 2 arrows [4s]
arrow [2s]
bundle of 2 arrows [4s]
arrow [2s]
bundle of 4 quarrels [16s]
bundle of 9 arrows [18s]
Tools (']')
heap of 4 torches [40s]
box with flint and steel (31) [5s]
tinderbox (1) [3s]
blanket [10s]
Wands ('\')
wand of trap creation (9 charges) [3s]
wand of monster creation (0 charges) [3s]
Potions ('!')
heap of 3 potions of carrot juice [12s]
heap of 2 potions of invisibility [8s]
heap of 2 clear potions [8s]
muddy potion [2s]
watery potion [4s]
light potion [4s]
Scrolls ('?')
heap of 3 scrolls of identify [6s]
scroll labeled "KTTdLwrgt" [2s]
scroll labeled "YTTOCS PU EM MAEB" [2s]
scroll labeled "KAPOW" [2s]
Books ('"')
thick tome [100s]
spellbook of Fireball [100s]
spellbook of Magic Missile [100s]
Food ('%')
loaf of bread [40s]

M_bowwarrior
05-29-2008, 11:43 PM
pffff... you are so lucky, but even if I die, are I'm allowed to continue ? it's not a challenge, just a funny game ?

Covenant
05-30-2008, 12:09 AM
pffff... you are so lucky, but even if I die, are I'm allowed to continue ? it's not a challenge, just a funny game ?

In my opinion, that's fine. I'd tentatively suggest we restart with a new PC if our current one should die, though. What are other people's thoughts on that?

Baranor
05-30-2008, 12:14 AM
I got it!!

M_bowwarrior
05-30-2008, 12:18 AM
In my opinion, that's fine. I'd tentatively suggest we restart with a new PC if our current one should die, though. What are other people's thoughts on that?
I'm for continue with it... but it's my point of view.

Baranor
05-30-2008, 12:27 AM
Out of food, out of options, and blind from door trap, I stumbled down to I:14 looking for food right into the waiting arms of a Skeletal Warrior. Even on Coward he pummeled me. In desperation, I cast Fireball 3 or 4 times to attempt to put him away. I prayed once to get back to full life and used Cure Light Wounds as much as I could. In the end the Skeletal Warrior was just too much for me.

Has anyone noticed how much the RNG has it in for me?

PeanutGod
05-30-2008, 06:08 AM
Should we die, yeah why not. Maybe we can go for a normal game and see what happens? Doesn't always have to be an ID dive.

M_bowwarrior
05-30-2008, 07:56 AM
yes, why not.