PDA

View Full Version : The Weakest Link: Trial of Rust

Grey
05-29-2008, 02:31 PM
A new challenge now opens to all who have already died in the competition. The League of Air was exterminated by a seemingly unbeatable tension room of rust monsters. But can you prove that they were all pansies and that you have the power to perservere where they all failed?

The object is to last 2000 turns and get through the rust monsters to the down stairs by whatever means. You have but one attempt, and you should post your details of that attempt here (no flgs though - just descriptions of how you died).

If by some miracle or insane skill you manage to complete this challenge then you will receive the gift of life - you will be resurrected and gain a place in the league of Air. However this challenge only remains open whilst that league is open - once it's down to 1 survivor the challenge will be closed (though you can still try it for kicks).

[EDIT - League of Air is now closed. This challenge is only for fun.]

So remember, only 1 attempt, and the chance of high reward. Let the slaughter begin!

You may find the save file here (http://www.adom.de/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=74&d=1211825324), and details of the character's position here (http://www.adom.de/forums/showpost.php?p=4422&postcount=63).

Timpak
05-29-2008, 02:40 PM
I want! I want! I want!

Can I start right now?

Grey
05-29-2008, 02:41 PM
But of course. The only restriction is that you must be dead :) Oh, and M_bowwarrior doesn't get a chance I'm afraid - he's in the Abyss.

Laukku
05-29-2008, 02:54 PM
But of course. The only restriction is that you must be dead :) Oh, and M_bowwarrior doesn't get a chance I'm afraid - he's in the Abyss.

So I can't join Air because I have never joined any leagues? (And so I have never died)

Silfir
05-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Yo, Grey, I just hope that this will be an all-encompassing rule for all the cases where the "full round of players dies to near-impossible situation" thing happens. Otherwise it's unfair.

Evil Knievel
05-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Haha, I tried...

I healed, opened the door, fired my 3 shots, killed a rust monster ran away, into the next big room, ran circles and circles, as the arrows indicate:

###########
#.[..@RR..R
######### ############################### #####.#####RRRR
#.......# #...<-.......<-...............# #.....# RR
#.......# ###.###############.#####.......# #.##### R
#.......# #......->.../...->..# #.climb.# #.#
#.......###...........######### #..set..#######.#
#....A../.............# #....B..#.......#
#.......###...........# #.......#.#######
#.......# #...........# #.......#.#
#############/######### #########.#
#...............# #.......#
#########.#############.#################.#######
#.........# #.../2.........1/...#
#...<.##### #####...slug....#####
#.....# #...........#
####### #############

I wanted to somehow get them all in this circle line, but they were too clever. After the 3rd run, one blocked my way, I was trapped. I tried to pray a lot to my god because I did not know what else to do... and my equipment was cursed shortly before I died.

Orbic
05-29-2008, 03:05 PM
So I can't join Air because I have never joined any leagues? (And so I have never died)

Oh just try and if you can reach the stairs Grey will decide. Unlikely. I will give it a go, die and and post back here ;)

What??? 21/3 on coward mode! that won't take long me thinks.

Prayed to full health, charged wand, wielding a cursed rock (for fun).
Dead already...
I used a wall to bounce the magic missile and kill these Rs but they are tough. killed 4 this way, but then had to flee to A and got trapped. The big R hits even harder than the rest and shall hates me.

Grey
05-29-2008, 03:08 PM

Nope, sorry, you're too late to gain entry. However you can still try for fun and fame.

Timpak
05-29-2008, 03:46 PM
It's impossible, impossible I say! I died a very swift death my first time, tried to lure them away, but they were just to many.

Now I'm obsessed with finishing this, I've tried all kind of ways but it's just impossible!

Laukku
05-29-2008, 03:55 PM
O_O Seems impossible... The only way to survive is propably to kill one and hope that it leaves some kind of a superweapon... or ANY weapon.

Maul
05-29-2008, 03:57 PM
I tried it. Killed two, then tried to pacify another before realising that a holy symbol and a broken small key just won't satiate even one. x_x

reich
05-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Even an ordinary club could change things. Or a stone spear. Anything not made of iron!

Kato
05-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Well...I'm going to give it a try!!! I will post my results here!

Edit: LOL. I prayed and healed up some only to get critical hit by a rust monster...then a ghoul came in from behind and paralyzed me before I could get out of the hallway and escape to run around a bit. Then I was devoured by a rust monster :D

Ars
05-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Even an ordinary club could change things. Or a stone spear. Anything not made of iron!

A rock?

They actually do much more damage than bare hands.

Edit: took a closer look at the character. But why in the name of Shalla is she wearing [+0, +0] boots?! I'm trying this out now.

Silfir
05-29-2008, 06:36 PM
I think the boots used to have armor rating, but were damaged by rust monsters during m_bowwarriors part. The two points of dex are very unlikely to make a difference.

Ars
05-29-2008, 06:43 PM
I think the boots used to have armor rating, but were damaged by rust monsters during m_bowwarriors part. The two points of dex are very unlikely to make a difference.It matters because of the one point of speed gained. Not much, but I'd say that outrunning them somehow is the best way to go, and therefore all speed available must be used.

Though it most probably won't make a difference, everyone dies anyhow.

reich
05-29-2008, 07:34 PM
A rock?

They actually do much more damage than bare hands.

Edit: took a closer look at the character. But why in the name of Shalla is she wearing [+0, +0] boots?! I'm trying this out now.

So that's what was causing that -2 modifier to Dx! I was wondering about that. Now I remember that hurthlings get such a penalty!

As of rocks in melee, that would do with a mighty troll bruiser. I meant a real weapon. I'm quite sure the situation would be negociable with just a simple 1d6 club!

Soirana
05-29-2008, 07:36 PM
IMHO, the only way out is to build up some prayers and piety and actually abuse ghuls. Since they can be turned probably ir is possible to bypass whole mixture of undead and rust monsters.

still, i would say girl is to low on DV and turning undead uses some piety, iirc.

vogonpoet
05-29-2008, 08:09 PM
Ok, I have an incredibly noob question, but put simply, I only ever play priest when the starsign is such that I random roll a PC and happen upon a priest - not very often:

What the hell does turn undead mean?
What I assumed reading the manual about 10 years ago: You become an undead person?
What I guess now after reading these posts: You can make pets out them? Turn them to your side???

All this time playing ADOM, and really, I have no idea about the priest abilities...

Grey
05-29-2008, 08:15 PM
I've killed Andy with a priest and never used that ability. I had always thought it turns them away - ie, makes them scared, but from what I've read it does seem to be more make them your pets (which seems somewhat illogical for a holy priest).

Ars
05-29-2008, 08:25 PM
I've used turn undead at times, with non-priests ((U)sing the holy symbol when undead are around), but I've never experienced them coming to my side. They've just fled. I remember it being especially useful when encountering ghost threat rooms with short-lived races. Maybe the taming effect is for priests only?

Timpak
05-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Turn undead = turn them back to their grave, to their death. What it does in adom I have no idea, I've never played a priest.

Covenant
05-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Purely conjecture, as I've not died (yet), and am therefore saving my attempt until I need it, but that whole 'removing boots' thing gave me an idea - what about wielding a rock and going for the True Berserker bonus? I'm not saying it's even a good chance, but... it's all we've got.

reich
05-29-2008, 09:37 PM
traditionaly in AD&D, lawful and neutral priests cause panic in undead when they invoke the 'turn undead' power, whilst evil priests can turn them on their side for some time. I think it will be the same in Adom.

FantomFang
05-29-2008, 10:14 PM
Yea, thats basically how it would work in D&D. Having played it for several years, i can also say that turn undead could kill the weaker undead, instead of making them merely flee in terrork, but i doubt that this is the case in ADOM.

gut
05-30-2008, 02:57 AM
I'm itching to try this .svg out. When is it going to be
available to all?

Grey
05-30-2008, 02:58 AM
You can only use it when you die :P If you're so desperate to use it then commit suicide with your Water league character ;)

riktikticheck
05-30-2008, 06:43 AM
yeah rested by holy symbol zap identified the wands and lured 2 rust monsters pasts the first door, it all went well until one ghul seems to have opened the door and i got stuck between 2 rust monsters and died good luck for the ones who still try

Timpak
05-30-2008, 06:45 AM
traditionaly in AD&D, lawful and neutral priests cause panic in undead when they invoke the 'turn undead' power, whilst evil priests can turn them on their side for some time. I think it will be the same in Adom.

Doesn't undead die when they panic?

Molach
05-30-2008, 07:05 AM
You do not get true berserking bonus (+9 hit and +6 damage) when wielding a rock, for some reason.

gut
05-30-2008, 08:56 AM
> If you're so desperate to use it then commit suicide with your Water league character ;)

Kenny is a L hurthling, and will not abide such chaos.
She (?) is on an important mission, and will not be
delayed for side adventures. No matter how much
fun they may be.

Kato
05-30-2008, 01:10 PM
yeah rested by holy symbol zap identified the wands and lured 2 rust monsters pasts the first door, it all went well until one ghul seems to have opened the door and i got stuck between 2 rust monsters and died good luck for the ones who still try

Yes! Someone else got caught up by that ghoul :D

deepshock
05-30-2008, 04:07 PM
I lured them away, getting five of them in the big room. Unfortunately when I tried to get more in, I got creamed by one of them.