PDA

View Full Version : strong cat lord

puuro
05-29-2008, 08:43 PM
I had a nice level 22 drakeling weaponsmith called Kalzor II(follower of Kalzormalzor). I had only accidentally killed 1 wild cat so I expected the cat lord to be easy(I have only seen it once before and then I had killed tons of cats). I suprised when cat lord anyway hitted very hard. Couldn't teleport of course. I didn't have chances in fight, he was tougher. So I died. If I had been more clever I would have ran to previous level and teleported away. I have read that his strength depends on amount of cats you have killed. Why is the cat lord so hard even if you have only killed 1 cat? Another time I fought him, I think he was about as hard as now, though I had killed much more cats.

:mad:When writing this I remember that I had a ring of djinni summoning, which I saved for an emergency situation like this. I could have wished for seven league boots or something else clever. When you are going to die you should always take a break and think ...

Timpak
05-30-2008, 09:28 AM
Never ever try to kill the cat lord in melee. I had a weaponsmith once with 140/90 something (extremely smithed eq + spear/shield) and 30+ to and he got completely slaughtered. Level 20-25 iirc.

Edit: Checked the guy up, he was lvl 24 with 35 to (345 total hp) and 132/92, he had bow + roi also apparently, and a masterwork eternium spear of penetration that gave +3+5 dv/pv.

warheart
05-30-2008, 02:29 PM
Ye, he is so freaking tough. I have killed him only twice (never died to him though), last one being quite recent.
The first time I got there I had an elementalist and killed him quite easily. After that, I always got Ring of the master cat, so no problem. But recently, with a wizard, I killed an out-of-sight cat with a magic missile, so I ended up killing 13 cats before reaching him (couldn't be bothered to skip them, I didn't think he would gain power so fast). He nearly killed me and I was quite impressed by his power, luckily I had a good set of spells :P

vogonpoet
05-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Don't fuck with the Cat Lord.

Don't think you know how tough he's gonna be.

If you've killed a cat, beware.

I suspect his power is mainly dictated by number of cats slain, but also by RNG, as befits a tough as nails NPC in a game of the roguelike persuasion. Sometimes he just kicks ass.

Silfir
06-02-2008, 01:07 PM
One of the major lessons of ADOM:

NEVER fight fair.

Meleeing the cat lord without emergency teleportation is stupid. Hell, meleeing him at all is stupid, unless you paralyze, blind, confuse or stun him beforehand. Even then, arrows and quarrels of humanoid slaying (preferably poisoned) are the far superior method of killing.

FantomFang
06-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Or as i had, penetrating arrows of darkness! Those things rock!

PeanutGod
06-02-2008, 04:55 PM
One of the major lessons of ADOM:

Meleeing the cat lord without emergency teleportation is stupid.

Teleportation doesn't work on the cat lord level anymore........or has something changed since that was introduced?

Grey
06-02-2008, 05:40 PM
A lot of people lure the cat lord off his level specifically for that reason. Same with some of the orb guardians (though you normally have to be desperate to do that, since that means luring them out of the temple etc.)

Silfir
06-03-2008, 01:02 PM
I only ever lure the cat lord from his level for that purpose. Against the orb guardians you can at least prepare because their temples are unconnected from the rest, and they're nowhere near as murderous in melee as the cat lord.

kapsi
06-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Yesterday I lost an awesome drakish monk to this fucker. Quarrels and stuff didn't work so I webbed him and meeled him to critical while he was stuck in webs. Then he berserked...took me 300+ hp in one turn :mad:

############################+##### #######
#..../......./...../...//././...../.# #.......#
##/#########################.......#.##### #.......#
/.........# #.......#.....# #.......#
#..../....# #.......#####.###%......#
#......./.# ... #......./...#.../.......#
#[|||||/.f#####.......# ###########.#####.......#
#.......||@/||#.......# #.............#
#############.#.......# ###/###########
#.#.......# #...#
#.#.......#################.#.#######
#........./........./.......#./.....#
###############################.<...#
#.....#
#######

Stefan St:56 Le:25 Wi:36 Dx:42 To:37 Ch:38 Ap:14 Ma:25 Pe:15 N-
DV/PV: 50/60 H: -32(420) P: 240(240) Exp: 25/2726399 D: 36 Sp: 137
Blessed Berserk

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventory
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total weight: 11604 stones Carrying capacity: 21749 stones

Head : uncursed crown of leadership [+2, +7] {Ch+18} [65s]
Neck : uncursed amulet of teleport control [3s]
Body : uncursed red dragon scale mail (-1, -4) [-1, +16] [220s]
Girdle : blessed girdle of giant strength [+6, +2] {St+12} [30s]
Cloak : uncursed cloak of protection [+0, +3] [20s]
Right Hand : blessed rustproof sword of sharpness (+7, 4d8+3) [+1, +0]
Left Hand : uncursed tower crystal shield [+15, +4] [260s]
Right Ring : blessed ring of damage [1s]
Left Ring : uncursed ring of mental stability [+0, +4] {Le+1} [1s]
Bracers : blessed bracers of regeneration [+6, +4] [18s]
Gauntlets : uncursed gauntlets (-1, +0) [+6, +6] [10s]
Boots : blessed seven league boots [+5, +4] [30s]
Missile weapon: uncursed heavy crossbow of accuracy (+9, +7) [140s]
Missiles : bundle of 26 uncursed quarrels (+1, 2d6) [52s]
Tool : uncursed Chaos Orb of Elemental Fire {St+10} [100s]

gibbering
06-26-2008, 05:17 PM
The best way to handle the catlord is something along these lines:

-- Come prepared with wands of webbing, poison, and paralyzation with lots of charges, and perhaps some blessed potions of booze
-- Humanoid slaying ammo
-- Slow monster spell

Get onto the level, and find a room/corridor, and lay out shitloads of webs, find the cat lord, and lure him into them. Zap him with a wand of poison from afar a few times, get far back, and cast slow monster on YOURSELF.

Now, while he's still in the webs, plug his poisoned ass with blessed humanoid-slaying ammo.

Makes this whole level pretty trivial. Only tough part is setting up your webs properly, and in an undisturbed manner. The wand of paralyzation comes in handy for tying up the kitty whilst you lay your trap.

Nezur
07-20-2008, 06:10 PM
Does eating a displacer beast corpse still work on levels that do not allow teleportation?

Silfir
07-21-2008, 03:04 PM
I'd be VERY surprised if it did.

mcmc
10-25-2008, 01:03 AM
The last time I played (~2 yrs ago :o), one of my PCs was a male troll barb, "true melee". When he got to the Cat Lord (at about level ~20), I was understandably nervous, but two applications of the barb-class triple-damage special (with vanquisher, middling tactics skill, and berserk tactics mode) sufficed. CL certainly landed a few decent blows on his turn (partially thanks to that high movement price tag on the class special), but it wasn't anything that even threatened to slow my PC down, even if CL had had a second or third chance. (My PC had killed *many* cats prior to the conflagration, by the way.)

Postscript: Long story short, this PC had done and went on to do the same thing to all 5 orb guardians (e.g., ASB: 2 hits-to-kill & zero damage taken), plus Fisty.

Evil Knievel
10-25-2008, 12:57 PM
What's the effect of casting slow monster on yourself? I thought you do that to increase XP gain, but not so it seems... any bugs in there?