PDA

View Full Version : Unusual ways to gain experience...

Covenant
05-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Given that someone was surprised by the 'Disarming Traps' one in the Traps thread, and my own bafflement just now, I thought I'd start a thread for this.

My first concern is - why did my Hurthling Assassin just gain two levels by doing nothing in the Small Mountain Cave? The only thing I recall doing in the last couple of terms was eating a Hurthling Cake... does eating give Hurthlings experience?

And more in general, are there any unusual ways to gain experience you can think of? Picking locks is another one which surprised me, if I'm correct in my recollection that that gives experience.

Grey
05-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Pick locks doesn't give experience - disarming traps is the only way to gain xp without monsters dying. Your random xp gain in the SMC was a monster setting off a door trap - kills from that count as yours for some odd reason. Quite annoying when a cat gets killed by a goblin opening a trapped door.

Covenant
05-29-2008, 11:03 PM
Picking locks doesn't? Hmm. I might be thinking of *band. My bad. Still, bugger about the doors. I'm glad that fellow died, I wouldn't want to spend the whole game worrying about whether I could still get the RotMC.

Grey
05-29-2008, 11:06 PM
Just check ':k' whenever you want to see if you've killed any kitties. If cave lions, cave tigers or wild cats are in your kill list then no ring for you (though you'll at least get some nice xp if you can kill him).